Archive through December 10, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Austin and Absinthe:Archive through December 10, 2000
By Malhomme on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 05:01 pm: Edit

12/30 would work well for me...
I'm open on the location.
mal

By Joalco on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Well then, fair enough. If no one else is going to do this, I guess I'll have to. :) I propose we meet either Saturday 12/23 or the following Saturday, 12/30. If this doesn't work for you guys, we can postpone until January. Any thoughts on the date or suggestions for a location?

Looking forward to it!

jon c

By Daedelus on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Eric,

I see the plot thickens! And as to Fort Worth, I agree fully that it is not as podunck as many people think. I was just giving the stereotypical reaction to anything good coming from Fort Worth. I mean they have the best Art Museum in the Country, the Kimbell, for chrissakes.

Don,

I searched through the Travis County Tax records to look and see if your long lost friends were property owners in and/or around Austin. No such luck. This of course proves nothing, except that if they do still live in Austin, they are getting shafted on the rent like the rest of us!

Don, also whet do they do at IBM? I have some friends and clients who are IBM'rs, and if we could narrow down the search a bit you might be in luck.

daedelus

By Eric on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Don,
I could only find an A L kaufman in the austin phone book. I can email the number if you want.
to my fellow austinites,
I think we should get together soon. possibly within the next week. I have a rather large collection of bottles, and would be able to bring something that I am sure you will all find very interesting.

By Don_walsh on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 08:20 am: Edit

Hey Austinites, find for me my long lost friends Art and Jan Kauffman, employed by IBM in Austin. Last I heard from them about 15 years ago. Any success will be well rewarded with absinthe, needless to say.

By Joalco on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Well, as soon as we agree upon a time, we should have a gathering. I have Deva, Lasala, Montana, Herring, Serpis, and about half a bottle of LaBleue on hand, with some Sebor, Mari Mayans 70%, and Segarra that should be here in a couple of weeks. Would you folks like to meet before the holidays or afterward? I'm open to suggestions, so let me know!

jon

By Eric on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 01:50 pm: Edit

I think the article was in FW weekly about six months ago. I probably should have saved it. BTW I spend a lot of time in FW and it's not as podunk as one might think.

By Daedelus on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 01:43 pm: Edit

What in God's name do they know of Absinthe in Fort Worth? I thought they only knew about cows up there! But I guess Fort Worth is more highly cultured than is Austin, which isn't saying much.

daedelus

By Eric on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 01:25 pm: Edit

I also read an article in a ft worth area magazine that was about absinthe. the writer said he had a friend who lives in austin that distills his own product. I wonder if that guy ever lurks around these parts.

By Daedelus on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 01:02 pm: Edit

I concur, Les Amis would have been perfect. I really miss that place. And what a travesty for it to be replaced by a freakin' Starbucks. I just hope the evil that is Starbucks doesn't catch wind of the absinthe trend. Imagine Absinth-ccinos in every corner store in the world!

daedelus

By Malhomme on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 11:29 am: Edit

There's someone else here in North Austin named Dave L*****? He and my girlfriend use the same hairdresser here in the Arboretum, and his name was passed on to us by the stylist as some one fond of absinthe. We haven't had any luck finding him though... perhaps he'll read this and contact us.

I have some lesser brands to bring along for the sampling: Montana, and Serpis. Not really tasty (to me, at least) but well worth a try. My girlfriend really likes the Serpis as it's not so strong on the anise.

I wish Cafe les Amis was still there, that would be the perfect place for a soiree....

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation