Archive through December 12, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Cocktail Madness:Archive through December 12, 2000
By Perruche_verte on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Cool. Thanks!

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 01:24 pm: Edit

I was going to go off in a sulk after losing my epic post (see above) but here is the recipe as written in the Commander's Palace New Orleans Cook book:

1.5 oz absinthe
0.5 oz oregat syrup
1 egg white
0.5 oz single cream
4 oz shaved ice

combine in a blender for 5 seconds (you do not want lumps of ice in this - trust me) serve in an old fashioned glass with a sipping straw

Enjoy!

By Perruche_verte on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 12:26 pm: Edit

I shall do so! What's the ratio of ingredients?

It sounds like a great cold-weather drink.

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 02:44 am: Edit

There is one absinthe cocktail that deserves the best and will reward you with its taste. The Suissesse is a blend of oregeat syrup, egg white, single cream and absinthe that slides down the throat and is a great pick me up. When I first saw the list of ingredients I thought that it sounded disgusting - but just try it, I guarantee it won't be your last.

By Perruche_verte on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Right now, I tend to think that really good (let alone superlative) absinthe would be wasted if mixed with anything but water. I like the Tomate an awful lot to think of making one with Segarra, which is the best stuff I've been able to try thus far. I do plan on buying a bottle or two of Jade, but I'd fear being struck by lightning or something if I put it in a mixed drink.

I had this theory that maybe the absinthe cocktails were actually cheap drinks, to hide the nastiness of the steeped "extraits d'absinthe" such as M. Bardouin describes. But I suppose even if you could have the best brands everyday, a little variety would be nice now and again.

Kir now is imported pre-mixed and bottled, but I don't recall which wine goes into the stuff I've had. Seems a lot less fun than mixing one's own.

By Petermarc on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 07:00 am: Edit

cheers ian, to the gin mint julip at the 'lab'--excellent...
the Kir was named after a french general who mixed creme de cassis with the 'other' white burgundy grape --aligoté--which is not chardonnay, like chablis...it makes this wine worth drinking, where good chablis is wasted if mixed with anything...

By Don_walsh on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 06:42 am: Edit

Thais drink mint and other syrups with water or soda in lieu of soft drinks. The syrups are really thick and not very sweet, the resulting drinks are quite refreshing, but not at all like typical soft drinks. The syrups are mass produced under the name Halley's or Hale's (I think, I will double check.) They are in every supermarket.

By Don_walsh on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 06:37 am: Edit

Tomate? The name threw me, but creme de cassis I know well as the Kir cocktail used to be very big in certain circles at the CIA, Jim Angleton having brought the fashion back from Italy. He was station chief in Rome and rigged the national elections in '47 againt the Reds. Heh heh heh.

White wine (usually chablis) and creme de cassis, served chilled or over ice.

Very nice.

I will have to try the cassis with our absinthes.

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 06:35 am: Edit

My local bar mixes a jupep with gin rather than bourbon with a dash ginger and vanilla as well as the mint. Now before the purists cry foul, I have to say that when it was offered to me I was very suspicious, but it works. So much so that it has become my favoured tipple in that bar.

By Petermarc on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 06:33 am: Edit

i LOVE mint, it's just with ricard that i have a problem...

By Don_walsh on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 06:31 am: Edit

Mon ami, you are talking to a New Orleanian who grew up on mint julips and creme de menthe, brandy alexanders etc. Nothing wrong with mint based cocktails. I am less attached to peppermint schnapps...as I have aged my sweet tooth has given way to an adult taste, but, mint has its places.

By Petermarc on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 05:26 am: Edit

i watched an old-timer make a ricard-menthe
(not creme de menthe, but just mint syrup)so i believe this recipe to be true and historical)but as don has said, there is no accounting for taste... but menthe a l'eau (mint syrup and water) or with perrier is very popular in france and i am surprised it has not caught on in the states...it is a great summer drink and something green to put in your absinthe glass during those times when... 'it's what absinthe drinkers drink when they're not drinking absinthe...'
i will try the tomate on my wife...heehee...

By Perruche_verte on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Striving to empty that last bottle of La Sala, I walked into another trap set by the crafty Petermarc, he of the sugar cube and repro glass import schemes... ;-)

To wit, these two Belle Epoch cocktail recipes he suggested:

The "perroquet" (absinthe and creme de menthe): Gag. Loathesome. Might be tolerable with only a very teensy dash of the menthe, and never again will I get the kind with the radioactive green food coloring.

The "tomate" (absinthe and creme de cassis): Surprisingly tasty! With a generous portion of cassis, the La Sala added spice and depth; it was like an interesting fruit punch. I think I'll try this with Segarra when I get some more. Probably it wouldn't work with Deva or anything too heavy on the anise.

It made me nostalgic for the UK. I think Brits get their vitamin C from different sources than people in the U.S., where there's cheap citrus fruit everywhere. I drank a lot of Ribena while I was there. It's a sort of blackcurrant syrup you dilute with water, and no one else I knew from the U.S. liked it at all. The only place I've found it for sale here is in an Asian supermarket. (I wonder who buys it? People from Hong Kong?)

I don't think blackcurrant is a very common flavor in the U.S., for whatever reason, though some people do like kir.

BTW, Cocktail Madness, Perroquet and Tomate are my entries for Marc's Name the Nightclub contest.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation