Archive through December 13, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Please assist a neophyte with information: deva 70:Archive through December 13, 2000
By Midas on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 09:25 am: Edit

Now that I LIKE! I wonder if there are any on eBay. Our house tends to unsettle some people. I have a very...paticular (or peculiar) aesthetic.
-Robert.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 09:00 am: Edit

and speaking of leeches, the old french doctor's glass leech bowls are especially cool (a large round bowl with a curved lip with heavy stemmed round base...would make a great punch bowl for the depraved...

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 08:20 am: Edit

Don:

I like it. Maybe you found the name for Marc's bar: The Louching Leech.

Or maybe you've found the Thai answer to all the snake-brews everyone was talking about a while back. Forget snakes, snails, and testicles--leeches are the ticket! Of course, I'd only recommend this experiment with your leftover bottle of Sebors.

BC

By Joshua on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 06:12 am: Edit

3 hour lunch breaks,absinthe without shipping costs,i belive i will have to move to spain!

By Tavis on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 06:03 am: Edit

Seriously though, the Spanish aren't that bad, and I'm not just saying that because my fiancee is Spanish, honest. I spent 2.5 years in Madrid, what a place. It's a shame while I was there that I didn't get into absinthe, especially seeing as the Bodega del Alcalde was about 100 metres from my flat.

True, small shops generally have a 3-hour lunch break, but then they're open from 5-8pm. I have to admit that one bad thing about the UK is that shops shut so early. I love the public holiday system there as well, which is that if a public holiday falls on a weekend, that's just tough. I wish I was there this year though, because all bar one of their public holidays (national and local) fell during the week, giving 13 days off plus 3 free days given by the company (Ericsson) plus 20 to 25 days annual leave.

The work ethic is another thing. One year I was given a bonus, and one of the criteria was how many extra hours I'd done, no matter how much actual work I'd done. So in effect they would reward someone doing the same work as me but spending more time doing it. Uh, right. And I definitely recommend driving around Madrid, after a while you realise how safe you are, being on the road with people who are well prepared to avoid all the other road users.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 05:49 am: Edit

Joshua,

2 weeks to get the confirmation of order, what did I say they were just keying it into the system then, and then they've got to sort out packing and paperwork and transport and fit all this around their 3 hour lunch breaks.

I love the Spanish, they've got life in perspective.

Hobgoblin

By Joshua on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 05:42 am: Edit

it was two weeks just to get the confirmation of the order letter,the shipment took another 3 weeks,i was really only worried about the jackbooted customs officals taking it.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 05:39 am: Edit

Joshua,

2 weeks isn't a wait, Spain is in Southern Europe, things are more laid back in Europe (excluding Germany and to a degree England), after 2 weeks it's only time for your order to by keyed into the system.

Spain's the other side of the world from you, if it takes 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months why worry it get's there eventually. Spirit's Corner are good people we all know that.

You Americans need to chill out, relax, work less and take more holidays, you don't need everything to happen instantly, expecting things instantly is a recipe for stress.

Hobgoblin

By Joshua on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 05:00 am: Edit

anatomist,
at first i didnt want to play the typical pushy american.but after 2weeks of waiting i mailed cristina ,and she said there was some trouble with the post office,either the spainish or american.it eventually got here,both safe and sound,other than the wait spiritscorner has always been great

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 02:09 am: Edit

Hey Bob, shall we anise-steep some suckers and see how the leeches leach and how they louche? :)

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Also, Joshua, did you follow up with emails or calls when you experienced those delays? Becoming a nettlesome presence in someone's consciousness tends to speed things up in such a situation. Sometimes if you want it, you gotta work for it.

K.

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Josh:

There have been postal strikes, gas shortages, and so forth in Spain. But like you said, one bottle for $110 is steep, especially since you can get five (5!) delivered from SC for about $120. LOL.

BC

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 12:13 pm: Edit

You're right, Don. I lost my ability to spell about three years ago. Can't say why, either. It amazes me only b/c I used to be right on the money. Now I mix up the easiest shit.

BC

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 11:02 am: Edit

Dear BC

I think you mean leech. 'Leach' is a verb, meaning a slow dissolution into a solvent. 'Leech' is a bloodsucking soft bodies usually aquatic parasite...

They sound alike though.

By Joshua on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 11:00 am: Edit

at first i was going to go throught betina.but then again would almost everyone on this forum buy through spirits corner?and 110$ a bottle is damn steep.the problem i have had with spirits corner,is last time it took over a month to get my order.almost 3 weeks to get the order confirmation letter,then another 3 to get the product,but when i did get there it was safe and sound.so i will defintly order again from them soon,but right now i think ill save my absinthe dollars for the new jade products,

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 10:52 am: Edit

Speaking of the whole domestic vs. overseas vendors, does anyone think the BG would be better if it had reviews of vendors, real prices, etc.?

That way, no one would be duped by the statement: "US source therefore NO risk with Customs or vanishing bottles for the buyer." The way the BG is now, this statement implies that it comes from the Admin, not the charlatan Bettina.

I think if the BG said that Bettina (and the other domestic) offered Deva for $120/bottle, newbies like Unk Willie wouldn't be scared into buying at these outrageous prices.

Also, the BG needs to add http://www.marimayans.com, which will ship to much of Europe at great prices.

Please don't flame me for suggesting these things--I know, I know, Kallisti does whatever she wants. She's not beholden to my opinions, etc.

BC

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 10:39 am: Edit

I've never had a problem with Spirits Corner. I'm in the Midwest and they get a package to my door in 7 days. The last time when they were having trouble with shipping it still only took 10 days.

>Segarra, la Bleue, Jade and those home distillers. Looks like things are >moving into a buyers market?

Segarra is available through Spirits Corner, and I agree, it's the best they have to offer.

As to the higher alcohol absinthes, I've always thought that the alcohol would overpower the secondary effect. I don't know firsthand, though.

By Artemis on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 04:14 am: Edit

"I expect the higher alcohol will at least increase its stability."

I expect not. There's nothing unstable about Deva in the first place. What you've heard about stability with regard to higher alcohol has to do with chlorophyllic coloration, which Deva does not use.

By Tavis on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 01:58 am: Edit

Like (nearly) everyone on this forum, in my opinion there is NO problem whatsoever with SpiritsCorner. I was very pleased with a SEVEN calendar day turnaround to the UK, no bottles broken, great prices.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Don't be a fool man! No one on this forum has EVER had a problem with Spirits Corner or Customs. The worst that could possibly happen is that you'll have to wait 2-3 weeks instead of 1-2 weeks. DON'T buy that crap about customs agents and the virtues of domestic sellers: it is a lie propagated by someone who stands to make an exhorbitant profit if you swallow it. Go Spirits Corner!

K.

By Uncle_willie on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Thank you all very much for your speedy and informative responses.

I expect the higher alcohol will at least increase its stability.

Regarding spiritscorner, I was hesitant about using a foreign supplier even though they have good reviews. So much can happen in long voyages and US customs, especially if you get several bottles... Maybe after i advance from the neophyte stage! Betina was the best domestic source based on this forum -- only one other.

Finally, I did not hear about the Thai concotion -- sounds very interesting. Segarra, la Bleue, Jade and those home distillers. Looks like things are moving into a buyers market?

thanx again
UW

By Treeman5 on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 11:55 am: Edit

Willie-

I think everyone here is foaming at the mouth to sample the new stuff from Thailand..Soon to be released..I know I am for one..Please do try the Deva 70% as well as the Segarra..Spirits Corner is a good supplier and I'm sure you won't be disappointed..But like I said, wait for the Jade coming very soon..I understand this is the stuff dreams are made of...Enjoy

M

By Artemis on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 11:33 am: Edit

Willie's post is the first time to my knowledge anybody in this forum has addressed La Fee Verte directly ("I have found you"). Now that's different.

By Artemis on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 11:31 am: Edit

Uncle Willie:

Probably you haven't seen any posts about high-test Deva because no one has tried it. No reason you shouldn't be the first - go ahead and post your own review. As to responding to Bettina, not all correspondence between forum members is public. The reason I haven't tried the new Deva is I have no reason to believe it's any different from the old Deva. I assume the only difference is the increased alcohol. Just because higher alcohol content *can* support certain things doesn't mean the makers of Deva have upped the alcohol content for those purposes. Personally, I doubt it.

By Bob_chong on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 10:54 am: Edit

Howdy, Unk!

IMO, Segarra is far superior to Deva.

And don't buy from Bettina, unless you like paying 400% mark-ups (or were an early Microsoft hire and now don't know what to do with all of your money and are trying to give it to charlatans).

Instead, check out www.spiritscorner.com. You can get Deva, shipped, for about $25 bottle from Spiritscorner.

To reduce the shipping costs, buy 2 bottles instead of 1, 5 instead of 3, etc.

BC

P.S. You wrote, "I don't see any responses to Betina's post several weeks back so perhaps someone can tell me why." I can't remember anyone responding to any of her posts. Just speculation, but perhaps this is because she is a leach, lamprey, etc. The La Bleue duopoly is about to be supplanted by the new Thai absinthe (which will be cheaper and better than anything Bettina offers).

By Chrysippvs on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 10:08 am: Edit

It is just like Deva 50%, just now it as at 70%...nothing as far as reformulation has occured from what I have heard..

By Uncle_willie on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 10:00 am: Edit

Hello,
After years of rumors and fleeting interest, I have found you. I have studied the pages in the chapel and FAQ, now finally I have direct access to you. It was very clear that in order to sample the green elixer I had to choose a reliable vendor and product.

You all seem to recommend Deva as a good introductory brand, at least averaging all the recommendations available. I was about to procure this, however, in reading the pages of wisdom, I gathered that higher alcohol brews tend to be of higher quality due to more dissolved herbs and greater stability over time.

I now see a 70% Deva available but have not heard any reviews or comments at all on it. Based on the available information, I would expect it to be very good, and have chosen it for my first bottle.

Has anyone tried this yet? I don't see any responses to Betina's post several weeks back so perhaps someone can tell me why... I will be happy to provide my novice opinion of it, but I will have nothing to compare.

Thanks for the help,
UW

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation