La Bleue

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:La Bleue
By Absintheur on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Here's my take on the latest addition to the expanding list of available absinthes:

BEI La Bleue:

67% alcohol according to my proof hydrometer.

The aroma of this clear Bleue is sharp and grassy, in the same vein as Chartreuse. I'd be willing to wager that there's a modicum of dill in there, or at least some flavor analogue. The louche is good, slightly transparent, with hints of blueness in the gray.

Once it has been watered, a cutting bitterness dominates the aroma, clearly present through the anise. The flavor is consistant with drier French and Swiss absinthes, with an additional sharp bitterness in the corners of the mouth.

I'd hazard a guess that this is a good Bleue for fans of Chartreuse or bitters, and will be less thrilling to those with a sweet tooth. All together a quality product with much to recommend it.

By Dean on Thursday, June 15, 2000 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Good post....also, Amen

By absinthesque on Thursday, June 15, 2000 - 06:36 pm: Edit

I'm no expert, having sampled only Bettina's La Bleue (which richly deserves its reputation), Mari Mayans and Deva up to now. My partner and I just tried Belle Epoch's La Bleue and were very impressed. We agreed that it's similar in taste to Bettina's Swiss. . .A bit cruder but complex, with more of a bitter finish. The louche is somewhat darker and a little slower to emerge. Who knows about thujone? I was very surprised by the lab results on Mari Mayans. All in all, I think it's a very good product and well worth the price. Reasonable people will probably differ over which La Bleue they prefer, but here's hoping the flaming will cease.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation