Spirits Corner question

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Dec 2000:Spirits Corner question
By Petermarc on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 09:00 pm: Edit

it is an acquired taste that many choose(with good judgement) not to acquire...grappa and marc
are virtually the same, and were by-products of the wine-making process...in the past, it was a poor person's drink, high in alcohol and made with the dregs...but then again, lobsters were for the poor and for animal food at one time...if you look at virtually every gourmet food, it is usually made with something you would normally throw away or not eat out of repulsion...what does this mean?

By Thegreenimp on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 08:32 pm: Edit

If it's like the Houston Ship-Channel, it must be frightening stuff indeed....(actually Houston isn't as bad as Grappa)
Jay in Houston

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 08:05 pm: Edit

To me Grappa always tastes absolutely awful, all heat and a disgusting after-taste.

Some Italians I know kept telling me that that was because I had only tasted cheap Grappa and that the good stuff was very different, they said only in Italy can you get proper Grappa. They're Italian and I'm Irish so who was I to argue with them. Then I was with them in an expensive restaurant in Naples and after the meal they ordered glasses of the restaurant's finest Grappa, they liked it but to me it was still just as bad.

Grappa? No thanks...

By Malhomme on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Ahhh, grappa...the nostalgic taste of Ronsonol Lighter Fluid that brings back memories of Sicily in Spring, or the smell of the Houston Ship-Channel in the Summer.

By Martin on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 08:15 am: Edit

mmmmmmmm... grappa. I had some once at Italian Villa in downtown Chicago. They served it in a miniature snifter (sp?) and I had to drink it before it evaporated.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 03:15 am: Edit

Miniatures are nice because they allow you to try something without having to buy a large bottle. Since the miniature bottles cost next to nothing and take up no extra space, it's always good to include a few with each order. They don't always stock all of them. The Suze miniature is a good one to try (gentian liqueur).

Marc de champagne is a type of brandy made from champagne grapes (akin to grappa). I have a bottle of Moet Marc (from SC), which I've not seen in the U.S.

By String on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 02:52 am: Edit

I have read parts of other threads that refer to the miniatures at SC that can be added to an order at very little extra cost. Could someone summerize which of these miniaturs are unique and recommended? Also, what is Marc de champagne?
I have used SC in the past and i am very satisfied with their service. In my last order they forgot my spoon, but Cristina emailed me and told me it would be free in my next order. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Thank you.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation