Brazil...again

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Brazil...again
By Don_walsh on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 03:59 am: Edit

Oh, PLEASE! I've really been bad...

By Admin on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 03:47 am: Edit

yeah, Jackboots & Jodpurs. That's me all the way.

**whip CRACK!**

Seriously though, trying to avoid being the Forum Facist. Don't make me hurt you.

By Don_walsh on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 03:10 am: Edit

Well, it could be either offensive two tier pricing or it could be that it's a scam as I suspected from the start (given the penchant for cash through the post). I'll be curious as to what Grim will have to say to your intelligence, germanandy. Maybe he should writem them again and say his ancestry is German and does he qualify for the $50 price?

Seriously, there's no need to rush to judgement. Wait till these people have a viable payment system in place -- one where the buyer has some recourse -- and then give them a try if you are so inclined.

By Germanandy on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 12:40 am: Edit

i just want to say that i also have a mail from this brazilian guy.
he wrote to me that a bottle costs about 50$ including shipping to germany.
it it half of the price for the us.
is this serious?

andy

By Thegreenimp on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Kallisti,
Perhaps wielding a razor sharp scimitar, deftly taking the offending heads in a delicate arc.
While smiling sweetly at the gathered forum, she can dress anyway she wishes.
Though the boots do sound kind of nice.
Jay

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Quote:

Kallisti in jackboots?

Kallisti is welcome in my boots any time...

By Don_walsh on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 11:56 am: Edit

Kallisti in jackboots? Hmmm...

I'd think high heeled DeMask thigh-highs would be a better choice. But then I don't have a Nazi fetish. Those tend to be centered in cities like NY and Miami.

By Martin on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 10:57 am: Edit

I love you Kallisti. This is how a board is meant to be run.

Though I am an avowed Anarchist, I think a little fascism is okay in the cyber-world. Anyone who doesn't like it can leave.

-Martin

By Admin on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 09:21 am: Edit

Look, I don't mind debate, arguments, bitching, kvetching & heated discussion, but I don't like it when it goes personal, its just ugly.

Messages that get ugly will get deleted and/or edited. This policy is completely at my discretion, please email me if you have issues.

I will delete relevent messages in this thread, then there will be nothing to fight about in public.

By Admin on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 07:54 am: Edit

Ok, whoa.

Before this goes further, please consider this post a big fuckin' cloud of Happy Forum Poster Fairy Dust.

(`'.(`'.* *poof!* *.').')

I love you all, now please take this outside.

*mwah!*

By Tabreaux on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Nothing is official until launch, and we reserve the right to make any changes until that date. Therefore, anything said or suggested before that time is subject to change.

By Timk on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I seem to recall don, you stated that the price was $75 per 750ml bottle a while back, i will try to fiond the original post

By Don_walsh on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 10:41 am: Edit

What Ted is saying is that no one but US knows our pricing and bottle size. I will underscore this: it is not repeat NOT 700 ml.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 08:40 am: Edit

No, that is not correct. Furthermore, *no* one knows the official pricing and unit volume of our products, and it is going to remain unpublicized until launch.

By Timk on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 06:43 am: Edit

but, ted it's only $25 more expensive than 700ml of your absinthe

By Tabreaux on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 02:01 pm: Edit

If the current statistical trend holds up, chances are it is made from a maceration. On the other hand, for the price of 700mL, it better not be!

As for sending cash through the Brazilian mails, that's another subject.

By Grimbergen on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Don,
I am simply trying to establish their status as a legit producer. Because they have made no contingency for intl' sales doesn't make them frauds. They even gave a street address, so it won't exactly be hard to check them out. I seriously doubt that anyone here is stupid enough to send cash through the mail, even if it is to someone they know. Thanks for the consumer watch dog post anyway. Until I find out otherwise I will assume that she was just trying to be accommodating.

"Anyway, I can assure you that given the specs stated this stuff is made from oils."
How did you divine this?

Grim

By Don_walsh on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 07:13 am: Edit

Reactionary?

Show me the legitimate mail order business that asks for CASH in the post. Not Intl MO, not IPOs. CASH. No one does that, no one with any credibility, not even domestically. That's because if your cash isn't detected and stolen within the various post offices, it can be at the other end, and the proprietors have no way to control their staff till it's too late.

Make this an international transaction and you make things 1000% worse.

And that's the truth. If that makes me a reactionary then brother, so be it.

When you pay by CC in a non-POS (point of sale) transaction you the customer have recourse if you don't get your purchase. Unless the seller can prove delivery (not just shipment but delivery.) That's why we will only ship by methods that provide us with proof of delivery. And that's why you needn't worry about purchases from us. NEVER send us cash. In fact as we won't give you our mailing address, you won't know HOW to send us cash.

NO ETHICAL MAIL ORDER BUSINESS WILL DO DIFFERENTLY.

Well, best color you can put on it is that the Brazilians are naive about this.

Anyone want to bet $100 on that?

Reactionary am I?

By Grimbergen on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 06:32 am: Edit

Take it easy there Don. I'm having my friend in Brazil check them out. Of course no one should consider sending cash through the mail. Let's try not to be too reactionary here.

Grim

By Petermarc on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 06:05 am: Edit

bastards....

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 12:53 am: Edit

Two posts mention PayPal so I think I get license to bitch about their piss-awful customer service on 'International' accounts. On 20th December, the day after my MasterCard was verified they sent an email saying MasterCard was no longer accepting payments from PayPal and I would have to use Visa (which wasn't cleared for use - and what if I didn't have Visa?). The net result was that my account was effectively frozen all over Christmas with all the trading balance of the past two months just sitting waiting for a bored hacker to liberate. To add insult to injury the dollar slipped against the pound by 7% during this time.

Despite daily emails and a long international rate call they still did nothing until last night when they screwed up again by dumping the whole amount into my Visa acount where it was immediately used to clear the outstanding balance.

The final icing on the cake is that you get charged by Visa for accepting a dollar payment, the rate they pay is the tourist rate and they charge to take the money out of the account, even though it is in credit!

Sorry to rant, just had to get it off my chest.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Malhomme, Paypal is useless in these circumstances. Using PayPal makes the transaction a US jurisdiction one. (Bad Idea!) And PayPal isn't set up for foreign accounts. PayPal sats 'maybe later' they will get around to fixing the second problem but I don't see any way they will fix the first.

No, if these folks are a legitimate company and not working out of someone's suitcase, they can go to a major Brazilian international bank and set up a company account and a merchant CC account and connect with whoever is providing an e-commerce gateway/portal in Brazil. They have banks in Brazil. They have billionaires in Brazil.

And if they can't do that -- you don't want to be sending them cash through the mail, IMHO.

By Malhomme on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Or can't seem to get an account with PayPal.....

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Grim: they want you to send cash? Sounds like a scam to me. Anyway, I can assure you that given the specs stated this stuff is made from oils.

A company that can't get a CC merchant account up before they start selling...that ought to give any buyer pause.

(As you might expect we aren't asking anyone to send us cash.)

By Grimbergen on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Ted, it seems you's was wrong. There is absinthe being made in Brazil. I emailed the people at this site http://www.absintocamargo.com.br/ and they just wrote me back today. Here is the email.

Dear Alex [that's me by the way],

Thanks for your message. Absinto Camargo is the only absinthe produced in
Brazil. The formula includes artemisia absinthium, artemisia pontica
(roman-petit absinthe), hyssop, aniseed, fennel and other herbs. The alcoholic
max limit in Brazil is 54%. Our absinthe louches beautifully and tastes great.
We keep thujone levels between 8 and 10mg/kg.

It's not sold via internet stores yet, but we can ship it directly to you. The
price for international shipping, including package is US$ 100,00 per 700ml
bottle and US$ 20,00 per 50ml miniature bottles.

You'll receive it in 12 days. Payment method is cash via regular mail (pls take
care to hide well the money). We're developing a better international payment
system (probably credit card) but it'll take a while.

Our address:
Uniland Export / Mario Reuter
Rua Girassol, 106
CEP 05433-000 - Sao Paulo
Brazil

Please inform also the address for shipping.
Thanks and Cheers 2.001!!!

Mario Reuter
Uniland Export
Tel/Fax (55-11) 3812-4772

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation