Archive through December 30, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:The color of absinthe chez pierre verte:Archive through December 30, 2000
By Martin on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 05:02 am: Edit

Its always gotta be SOMETHING with you doesn't it? ;-) ha! Anyway, I don't doubt that what you say about Derleth is true.

I have one of the newer paperbacks with the Robert Bloch intro. Its very good. I've also read many of the Arkham House publishings of many of the same stories.

Some of my favorites would have to be "The Lurker at the Threshold", "The Dunwich Horror" (of course!), and "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". "The Whisperer in the Darkness" is another interesting one that has more of a cool sci-fi twist to it. Its interesting to read sci-fi stories done before Asimov took over the genre. I like the idea of aliens that don't look like little green men.

I gotta get this off my chest.... if aliens do exist and they are little green men as they are so often portrayed, I find that to be a big disappointment. I mean, really, little green men.. what kind of life form is that? When I think of aliens, I think of the Great Race of Yith or those strange winged things from "Whisperer", or even Cthulhu himself. Big, multidimensional things that aren't even vaguely humanoid. And why do they need to have ships? Cthulhu don't need no steeenking sheeep! I believe that probably all UFOs people see or find or whatever are man-made. The technology is there. I'm sure its been experimented with for years and years now. Honestly, little green men in flying saucers? I think the gub'ment made all that up to keep people from being nosey about what's really going on. I believe aliens most likely exist, but I'm convinced they are far different from what pop culture would have us believe.

...let the arguments begin...

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 10:10 am: Edit

Careful, Martin. I am an old Mythos person of a deep hidden circle and can easily steal the soul of a young acolyte such as yourself.....

Seriously you are right. Derleth deserves a lot of credit. However...however...and please bear in mind that a lot of what I am about to say, I didn't know in '67.

1. Derleth was a chickenhawk, a paedophile.
2. Derleth claimed dominion over the Lovecraft literary estate for decades and charged royalties for stories clearly in the public domain.
3. Derleth waged lawsuits against Lovecraft's family and his own partner Don Wandrei (who edited Lovecraft's letters).
4. Derleth wrote many many pastiches of Lovecraft as posthumous collaborations when the Lovecraft contribution was no more than a line or two from Lovecraft's journals. That is a cheap shot.
5. The most succesful and famous of the Lovecraft Circle was Robert Bloch. Bob Bloch, also of Wisconsin (like Ed Gean I might add!) BLASTED Derleth after his death, in his introductory essay to the trade-paperback "Best OF H.P.Lovecraft". I was shocked when I read this, I had no idea Bob hated Gus Derleth so much.

Don't misunderstand me, I am grateful to Derleth for publishing my first story. He never laid a hand on me. I guess I was (at 16) too old and butch for him.

The great E.Hoffman Price was a friend of mine, he was a Lovecraft friend and collaborator ("Through the Gates of the Silver Key".

By Martin on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 09:39 am: Edit

I enjoy mythos stories written by other authors, I'll have to keep my eye out for yours. Being from Wisconsin, I'm very aware of August Derleth. If it weren't for him, I'm sure all these great Lovecraft stories wouldn't be so easy to find.

You must not be all that bad yourself...I guess I'm going to have to give some of your absinthe a try when it becomes available.

Lovecraft is probably my most favorite author of all time. I read many good books by many great authors, but Lovecraft never ceases to bring me hours of enjoyment. I think I'd always choose his work above all others. There's just something about it.... much less boring than Poe.

-Martin

By Petermarc on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 06:04 am: Edit

artemis,
e-mail me your address...

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Hey Martin, you can't be all bad if you like HPL. But you may change you mind when you discover that my first short story was sold in '67 to Arkham House, published in 1970, DARK THINGS ed. by August Derleth. Very much a mythos story.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Yog-Sothothinthe. The One in All Liqueur. Coterminous with all liqueurs of all ages.

From Dunwich Distilleries, W.Whately, Proprietor.

Exclusively Distributed by Arkham Liqueurs, Sauk City, Wisconsin.

Free copy of The Necronomicon (DAW books, unauthorized edition) with every purchase.

Great Old Ones Cocktain Guide on request. Some of the entries

Black Goat (Yog-sothothinthe and Kahlua)
The Unspeakable (Yog-sothothinthe and Galliano)
Yuckie Yuggoth (Yog-sothothinthe and Advocaat)
Shoggoth Slime (Yog-Sothothinthe and WD-40)
Cthulhu Upchuck (Yog-sothothinthe and Applesauce)
Flaming Adbul (Yog-sothothinthe and Arak)
Abominable Migo (Frozen Yog-sothothinthe Daiquiri)

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 11:37 am: Edit

Green Devil distilleries- corrupting the innocent isn't just our job, it's what we love!

Order now, and as a special free gift, you will receive your choice of

A) the severed ear of an impressionist painter!
or
B) alcaholism!

Sorry, no checks, credit cards or money orders accepted (please pay by Immortal Soul only, no SODs. Impressionist painter's ears available while supplies last.)

By Martin on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 10:09 am: Edit

Those names are great.

How 'bout "Cthulhusinthe"? Now we get a Lovecraft vibe happening. And, Cthulhu is green, so his image is very absinthe-friendly.

Or "Aiwassinthe"?.. that conjurs an Aleister Crowley vibe, and he was quite a fan of our favorite drink.

Maybe I could use different names for several different varietals. There's no reason to stick with flavor or recipe, it's good to give people choices.

Now I just need to come up with a name for my company.

-Martin

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 09:20 am: Edit

It should be called "Sorathinthe" in honour of Sorath, the original 666.

Hobgoblin

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 09:01 am: Edit

nah Pazuzu was just as good as he was evil (I have an amulet from Bablyon that protects women from problems during childbirth). I think Samaelsinth or Baalsinthe. The czech version could be Belialsinthe...

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

Nope, remember the demon in EXORCIST? Pazuzu.

Pazuzinthe.

By Martin on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 06:28 am: Edit

Each bottle will have a ritual performed over it to ensure maximum hallucinogenic properties. It will also be buried in the ground for 6 years 6 months and 6 days along with a broken and burned crucifix and wrapped in the habit of a murdered nun. This ensures a light, pleasent, almost nutty flavor.

I think I'll call it "Azazelsinthe".

-Martin

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 08:55 pm: Edit

ian,
i always suspected you of being an 'hygiéniste'...;-)

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 08:25 pm: Edit

FWIW I have been picking up bottles of La Fée almost monthly and haven't detected any objective difference in style. Subjectively however my personal preference has switched towards Oxygenee because it is lighter.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 11:12 am: Edit

NOT ground cloves. Ground cloven hooves! Absinthe is a satanic plot!

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 11:00 am: Edit

don--ah, spoken like a true gentleman...

ted--it was at least copied (or claimed to be) in some form by primier fils; baron barton, makers of 'bobsinthe'and i'm sure others... a.junod went as far as to state that their absinthe was 'non oxygénée'and aged naturally...
... the hydrogen peroxide therory is a good one, because in france, hydrogen peroxide is called 'eau oxygénée'...

By Martin on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 10:55 am: Edit

I'll give it away... but I won't rob Denny's. I'll rob Waffle House instead, that place sucks.

Seriously, if I ever started making moonshine in my backyard it would be for my own personal use, and of course my friends.

My dad's from West Virginia, so I'm sure he knows how to make a still... heh heh heh. We could hide it in the barn.

And I'll never sell-out my amazing recipe! Ha! The ground cloves are the secret!

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 08:56 am: Edit

Hell no, tender to Cusenier what is Cusenier's and to Ted what is Ted's.

As to sampling our own product, I only do it to excess. Nothing exceeds like excess.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 08:56 am: Edit

It sounds 'quacky' to me. Maybe he employed hydrogen peroxide and oxidized half the organic content!

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 08:50 am: Edit

not being allowed to taste your own product...obviously, this has not worked out for trenet, could la fée be next? don, you don't really sample your own absinthe, do you? 'ça rend fou'...

on a side note, i found an ad in a french magazine from 1903 that states that the new process of 'oxygénation' developed by cusenier,
a recent scientific discovery, is put into use only by cusenier with a special distilling apparatus and is a considerable progression from normal distilling...'hygiénistes' love it!...there
is also a cartoon with a well dressed gentleman telling the waiter to not be afraid of pouring a good drink of absinthe oxygénée because it never causes problems, au contraire...
don, have you found this special apparatus so we are sure your absinthe will never 'fait mal'? ;-)

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 08:26 am: Edit

And what regulations might those be?

We have very strict regulations but we make them up ourselves...the government could care less.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 08:03 am: Edit

hey, can you really trust anyone who makes something to eat or drink that they can't/won't
taste themselves? or at least let someone nearby or even in their own country taste it? it must be very difficult for quality control...recipes are necessary, but ya gotta stick your finger in it... i understand don has to follow the same regulations in thailand...

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 06:43 am: Edit

Nah, Martin's going to sell it at cost, he's no capitalist pig like me. Oink Oink!

Or maybe be a real altruist like Marc and give it away till he goes broke and has to resort to robbing Denny's to keep the enterprise alive. Redistribution of absinthe! The drinkers should control the means of production...Snowball is an arch criminal! He stole all the wormwood!

Pthaw!

By _blackjack_ on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 06:06 am: Edit

Quote:

Alright.. screw this! I'm starting a distillery!

Wouldn't that make you a capitalist pig like Don?

Not to mention an imprisioned capitalist pig...

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 06:05 am: Edit

Well, no one should jump to conclusions just yet. I'll find out soon enough and post my opinion.

By Martin on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 04:28 am: Edit

Jeez, they fucked up La Fee and I haven't even gotten a chance to try it yet! Those bastards! That's damn tragic.

Alright.. screw this! I'm starting a distillery!

-Martin

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 04:09 am: Edit

That's a real shame, if they're screwed up La Fee.

If Absintheur was right and it's now like Deva, that's a low down dirty shame!!

Thanks for pointing it out, Ted. Unfortunately, this will probably make me be as miserly with my dwindling supply of original La Fee as if it were Uncle Pernod's own 1900-era vintage stuff. It's a damn shame to hoard stuff because you think you aren't ever going to get your hands on it again!

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 03:18 am: Edit

I have to agree that oil slick or not, La Fee was about the *only* commercial absinthe that bears any resemblance to the old products. I say "was", because if the recent sample absintheur sent me was indeed from contemporary La Fee, it does not taste like the early version, which indicates a change that effectively negates the authenticity of flavor I lauded above. I'll know for certain in a couple of weeks.

The best La Bleue I've had (and I've had several), while being a very nice product, bears limited resemblance to the old Swiss products. 'Progress' appears to have filtrated down to the cladestine distillers as well over the years. Regardless, I rank the best La Bleues as the top of the modern-style products, and there will always be a market for them.

The HD#9, whether absinthe or not (?), is a bit different than most absinthe products. I don't find it to be very complex (being rather simple and somewhat thin actually), but it is indeed different from what most people are used to. It isn't overly sweet, has a certain texture which is almost citrus, and seems relatively devoid of common anise. FWIW, the slight tint of color may very well be artificial (it hasn't faded yet). I have just enough to perform an analysis, and not much else.

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 12:13 am: Edit

'uh, which one is banned, i don't want to try that one'

Wow. That's the first thing I'd be after trying.
The rainbow of products on Petermarc's mantle stacked up just about like I thought it would.

The La Bleue I have the most experience with is the same product as Petermarc's. It is very good and I would be happy to drink nothing else, even if it isn't green. The "woody" note in the American product reveals that the maker has to get better control of his process - "woody" is not an attribute of fine absinthe.

La Fee is a world-class absinthe, oil slick or no oil slick.

Boy, would I like to get a whiff of that Haut-Doubs potion.

By Germanandy on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 11:50 pm: Edit

as for the video,

I've given it to someone who is trying to make a videocapture (divx or mpeg), this will work on every pc.

andy

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Nice notes Peter, and reassuring to know that even the corniest chat up lines still work ;-)

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 09:56 am: Edit

sorry, i forgot la fée...right in there with the la bleue and h-d#9, but not as natural-tasting, it is, probably the best comercially available...but check out the freaky green slick at the top of the glass...left to right on blow-up, blur-a-vision...la sala, la fée, oyygénée, and absente..

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 09:44 am: Edit

ian,
some half-assed notes...first, the french are still freaked out about absinthe...not easy to get anyone to even try it...so i will do this again (not with all the selection)
on my own...i tried all neat and then took ted's advice and used no sugar...i was surprised how pleasant the best ones were even without sugar, but i still prefer sugar in most...start out with just plain bad 'prague absinth' a herbal liquor
(and not a good one)with the name absinth and 'trenet'(smelled like cheap artificial candy, didn't taste any better)'la sala' prefered by one french friend who seems to like lemon (i like it but not the best)'oxygénée'very good, better than most but didn't stand out against the best...'absente' very sweet and prefered by the chick* from san diego my friend picked up at the flea-market(parlez-vous français? oh, you're american?...pitiful)nice color, though, and not poison...'prototype'very herbal, strong, woody, a nice drink that did need sugar, however, i was told that this had oxidized, i wonder if this had changed it's original flavor (and if this could be a similar situation with vintage absinthe, at least the better ones)which leaves 'swiss la bleue' and 'haut-doubs #9'...i don't know who's 'la bleue' it is, it made a very long, almost circular trip from switzerland to the usa to marc in new york to ian in london and then to france...after seeing the german documentary on swiss la bleue (thanks andy, unfortunately the video format won't work in the usa, but this is a great tape, if andy or i can figure out how to make a good copy that will play in the usa, it is a must-see)the swiss don't use sugar much, it is better to get your water from a mountain water-fall,and swiss absinthe drinkers look like hunter s. thompson after too many lsd-laced yodeling sessions... this didn't need sugar,had a great snow-white louche, lots of spring-time character, but many of you already know the story...and 'h-d #9' it's my baby, i know, but the wild complexity of the nose and taste just pleases me like no other (and it's naturally green, god-dammit) and the louche seems to be more like the vintage stuff ...i will admit, though it was popular with several others, it was because it was so different 'smells bee-zare,tastes bee-zare, until the after taste, which is good' (my attempt at translating the untranslatable)and not my opinion...the san diego chick* thought it was like pink 'good-n-plenties'--painful, but i see the anis/licorice debate goes on with some of you who have test-driven good absitnhe on others...all-in-all an amusing tasting that i will not do again with people who either don't know or aren't really interested in the subject...'uh, which one is banned, i don't want to try that one'...arrghhh...

*politically correct foot-note...
the term 'chick'is used only because i feel it is a discriptive term and is not, in anyway, intended to describe women in general...thank you

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 08:45 am: Edit

artemis,
1905 haussmannian apartment near montmartre...this is the mantle-piece for a green tile food-warming stove/fireplace that is in the dining room/salon, it is like a belle epoch prop...my wife says there's a 'pierre verte' in the apartment, so i assume she meant this...he is really who convinced me to rent the place(not one of the better parts of town, my french friends all look at me strangely when i tell them where i live, but i got over the good address/view-crappy expensive apartment syndrome a long time ago)

grim,
the glasses are a set of nine mominette/pastis glasses i found in marseille over christmas...i believe they could be either as they are dose-etched along with being obviously hand-made...i like them because you can put a spoon over them and it doesn't hang over like the usual pastis glass...i found the carafe on new year's eve at the flea market...i always thought it was hard to put ice in the standard carafe mouth, and so did someone in the 1880's who made this piece which unscrews so you can put a chunk of ice in it, then screw it back shut...i'm sure there weren't many, since this was much more of a pain-in-the-ass to make...expensive for a bistro, and pretty plain looking....

By Grimbergen on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 07:48 am: Edit

Petermarc
what is the story behind the glasses? I really like them.

Grim

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 12:47 am: Edit

Hot damn, Petermarc. I'm more impressed with the mantle than the liquor! Where do you live, Jed Clampett's place? I guess not, with that visage of Pan leering out at us. I have a similar face, although it's probably Bacchus, on a silver liquor flask, about a pint, it's a flat pocket-style flask. I'm really fond of Pan and Green Man figures.

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 01:15 pm: Edit

uh, notes?abs

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 01:12 pm: Edit

loucheabs

By Petermarc on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 10:02 am: Edit

uh, notes? happy new year from paris...

By Absinthedrinker on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Great topette collection there Peter - have a great New Year, I look forward to your tasting notes!

By Petermarc on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 08:50 pm: Edit

apologies to serpis...not available to me at this time...

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Don't forget my favourite, Serpis, Absinthe coloured by the blood of crushed beetles.

By Pikkle on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Neat color study... would definitely make for
some artistic photo work... hmmm... sounds
like an idea.

By Petermarc on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 09:25 am: Edit

the many colors of absinthe...
1)swiss la bleue--well, one of them...
2)american prototype--unidentified, but natural
3)la sala--spanish nuclear yellow
4)la fée--green as green can be
5)oxygénée--is it absinthe?
6)absente--is it absinthe-like?
7)haut-doubs #9--is it pastis?
8)trenet--not a color found in nature...
9)prague absinth--what is the color of a sunset?
(not this!)absinthe

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation