Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:PERNOD CATALOGUE 1896
By Frenchman on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 03:25 am: Edit

Thank you very much all for your help again ! :)

Kallisti, be free to add its new url in your "historical" section of the guide, i will not change it.

Artemis, Timk and Peter offered me their time to translate.
Artemis could translate a first part (page 0 to 15), Timk a second part (page 16 to 30) and Peter the last part (page 31 to 51)
Under each pages translated, i could write "Translate by ...."... ?
Is it all right for each ??

Be careful, i work slowly !! ..... :)

By Artemis on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 03:07 am: Edit

The translation is already under way. The booklet is essentially a promotional piece for Pernod, with some anti-prohibitionist polemic thrown in, as you might expect given the time it was published. And I recognize much text almost verbatim from Delahaye's histoire. Still, it's very interesting.

By Timk on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Double p grrrrr.. keyboard stutter

By Timk on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Please, impugn my french all you like, honestly its really, really crap and I look foreward to a propper translation from you : - )

By Admin on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Mr. Frenchman! How wonderful to have this info available online. Thanks for your labors!

Let us know when it is all up and ready with its new url, and I will ad it to the "historical" section of the guide.

It's lovely ...

By Frenchman on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Thank you very much all for your help.
Artemis is interested to translate this document (He has already experience in this job),
fine !! :)

Yes, i didn't finish page after the page 24. (you can see pictures pages 48, 45, 41, 38 and 33).
I will try to add several pages each weeks.

After, i will have a genuine book of receipts and a book with the absinthe history wrote in 1907 !!!

By Artemis on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 02:35 pm: Edit

TimK, I didn't mean to imply you used AltaVista, nor did I mean to impugn your translation, which looks okay to me. I was addressing Phil, and I decided to point out one of the oddities (gasoline) that has been discussed here previously. If you run any French absinthe text through AltaVista, sooner or later you encounter gasoline.

By Timk on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 09:49 am: Edit

Lol that wasnt actualy the altavista translation - i missed out a few words lol ie. so etc. but as you can tell my french is crap

By Artemis on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 07:28 am: Edit

"Unfortunately - after page 24 it's not accessable "

I think it's not so much a case of bad fortune as the fact that, as a header on the site points out, it's a work *in progress*.

By Artemis on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 07:14 am: Edit

Altavista does a good job, but the resulting translation is crude and needs polishing to turn it into good English. For example, "gasoline" (essence) means automobile fuel to most English-speaking people.

I can help you with the translation. I'll contact you.

By Timk on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 06:26 am: Edit

Unfortunately - after page 24 it's not accessable

Heres the first bit - please continue and correct : - )

The House Of Pernod Fils

The House Of Pernod fils is
Intimately asosciated with
The origins and with the progress of
The absinthe industry,
That it is impossible to
Seperate and distinguish
The history of
One from the other.
The origins of absinthe
Are from the beginning so
Bound to the history of
The house of Pernod fils that
We propose to recount it in these pages.

By Frenchman on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 05:47 am: Edit

I am making a new site to, where we will be able to see a fabulous old absinthe catalogue Pernod of 1896.

My matter, is that the catalogue is in French and that i have a bad english....
Is the altavista translation good ?
Or someone is he interested to help me to translate this genuine old documentation ?

This book is a reference used by Mc Delahaye and other to write books. It is a very important documentation about Absinthe and Pernod and the oldest that i know.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation