La Fee

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:La Fee
By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Then I see nothing to argue about (hey, is that really Don?)

By Tavis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Don - Well I didn't misquote you! I said "Similar to what Don has said previously, this absinthe has a Mari Mayans flavour about it", hardly the same.... There is that star anise "burn" there though.

I suspect La Fee uses more star anise than when Ted sampled it, I taste that and mint as the two dominant flavours. Whatever, it is a lot better than MM, on a par with Segarra.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 09:18 am: Edit

I fear I've been misquoted. I never said "La Fee tastes like MM". Here's what I said back in October.

"Well, my La Fee hand carry from UK came in this evening. I find this absinthe a pleasant and approachable drink rather reminiscent of both mari mayans 70% (but not as one dimensional) and of some La Bleues (but maybe not quite as full bodied.) It is most certainly a 'modern' interpretation, and not at all an 'authentic' 19th Century absinthe insofar as I am acquainted with those, and that is just the top end."

In short I said it (LF) was sort of a cross between a more complex MM and a thinner La Bleue. And that is not the same as saying "tastes like MM". Star anise is present, but subdued. In MM star anise is everywhere and anything else in there is well hidden. Not so in La Fee. La Fee is a good absinthe. Better than the Psanish, except maybe Segarra which I have not yet had. In same class as La Bleue of which I have had a lot. WAY ahead of any Cz.

By Pikkle on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 08:07 am: Edit

I wish there was a way SC could carry La Fee
because I'd really like to try it and I have nary a
minute to look for a good deal right now...

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 01:50 am: Edit

MM is made with mostly star anise (or essence thereof), and just the very slightest hint of a citrus-like essence.

Deva is the same basic thing but with less alcohol, considerably more citrus.

La Fee is considerably different (at least the early sample I had was), featuring virtually no star anise and the addition of subtle herbal textures which are entirely absent from the two above brands.

By Artemis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 01:22 am: Edit

"When I said that La Fee has an MM flavour about it, I only have MM and Segarra as references."

I suspected as much. In that light, I would have said the La Fee was like MM too. Star anise has a "burn" to it which is present in La Fee, but thankfully much subdued. It can and should be even more subdued. It's really intense in MM.

By Tavis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 01:15 am: Edit

Mint, could be, I'll taste again with that in mind. I didn't do a proper tasting, since that would mean concentrating the mind, and I was mostly trying to relax after a day at the office (short obviously as I'm in the UK).

When I said that La Fee has an MM flavour about it, I only have MM and Segarra as references. La Fee certainly has the sharp anise taste of MM, albeit mixed with other flavours, unlike Segarra.

I should try Deva. I'll probably make the effort to get a bottle of Deva before I finish the La Fee, to make a comparison.

By Artemis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 01:01 am: Edit

To expand a little, and somewhat contrary to my own review of MM 140 (I've learned a little since then), what you taste in MM 140 is star anise and more star anise (apologies to Justin, who was probably the first one to point that out, and I quarreled with him at the time).

Deva is much better balanced, and La Fee better balanced still. When I first tasted La Fee, I was stunned by how much it resembled an artisanal product (not for sale) I had tasted. It was way more like that product than anything else. This bodes well for those who can afford/access La Fee and for those waiting on Don and Ted's product because it will also be more like that than any Spanish stuff. REALLY good absinthe will make you slap your momma, let alone forget all about Spanish absinthe. Segarra possibly excepted.

By Artemis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 12:19 am: Edit

"Similar to what Don has said previously, this absinthe has a Mari Mayans flavour about it"

NOT! I respectfully disagree with Don and anyone else who's said that. Taste them *side by side*. La Fee may not be like Deva, but it's a hell of a lot more like Deva than like MM.

"In particular there is a second dominant flavour which I taste along with the anise, just after the drink enters the mouth. Can anyone please clue me in as to what this flavour could be?"

Uh, mint?

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 12:18 am: Edit

So, in fact, does Deva.

Mari Mayans just tastes like Anis and alchahol.

Deva has a lot more going on... give it a try.

By Tavis on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 11:40 pm: Edit

I haven't tried Deva, but I would be prepared to bet that the La Fee I have (bought at the end of December) doesn't taste like Deva, given that Deva has been compared by some to MM. It definitely has more to it than MM, a lot more.

By Don_walsh on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 11:36 pm: Edit

No particular resemblence to Deva there, would you say, Tavis?

By Tavis on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 07:58 pm: Edit

I opened my bottle of La Fee last night, and this is now my favourite absinthe so far, having previously tried MM 70% and Segarra. Similar to what Don has said previously, this absinthe has a Mari Mayans flavour about it but has other flavours happening too. In particular there is a second dominant flavour which I taste along with the anise, just after the drink enters the mouth. Can anyone please clue me in as to what this flavour could be?

Whatever it is it's nice. Probably next I'll forgo absinthe and try some Versinthe from SpiritsCorner, mainly because I don't really want to drink anything as one-dimensional as MM or any of the other Spanish absinthes again, and La Fee is a bit pricey to be drinking on a regular basis.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation