Apologia pro Vita Sum

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Apologia pro Vita Sum
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through June 17, 2000  4   06/17 06:45am

By Don on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 03:05 am: Edit

Further to UK/EU: if Mr Wormwood's results -- using same procedure as UK govt testing -- is accurate then several absinthes, plus at least one vermouth, are being routinely commercially imported into UK and elsewhere in EU while being above the 10 mg/Kg limit.

In fact the only 'compliant' ones would be the ones with no thujone at all, as I saw nothing (except Angostura bitters) that was above zero/nd and below 10 mg/L.

As previously mentioned mg/Kg and mg/L are not same thing unless specific gravity of the liquor happens to be 1.0 -- same as water. QED, you'd need to know the actual sp.gr. to be able to intercovert these meaningfully.

Which may mean that EU/UK inspection procedures are lax. We'll see.

One wonders whether the limit was in fact set to the highest level found in a major vermouth, and whether that amount is in turn limited by the lower alcohol content of the wine, as thujone is insoluble in water?

By Don on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 02:52 am: Edit

Maybe just in time for Halloween. Depends on the local bureaucracy, but we have taken steps to grease the wheels.

By tabreaux on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 06:52 am: Edit

Not necessarily. The UK laws very possibly apply to products intended for resale to the general public. Therefore, what you bring in for personal use may be exempt. Regardless, there won't be anyone standing around in Customs with a GC to check for thujone content!

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 02:40 am: Edit

Let me add my voice to the chorus of approval, great news can't wait to sample the results - ready in time for Christmas if my calculations are correct?.

On a legal note, if the product is of original thujone concentration does that mean that if I want to order it from within the EU it will have to be done unofficially?

By Don on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Dear Justin

Yes, I can speak Thai. Read and write it too which is somewhat trickier, Thai being based on Sanskrit's parent language Pali. No, you didn't quite transliterate the question right. However this ain't the Thai Forum is it?

Anyway that was Pig Latin not Thai. All sorts of stuff online in Pig latin, since it is used as a testbed for Text to Speech machine translation.

Cheers

D.

By tabreaux on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 09:28 am: Edit

1) It will be reasonably priced (very reasonably considering the painstaking effort that goes into it).
2) Yes
3) It will be 100% authentic, genuine, and correct in every conceivable way.

This is about all that can be revealed for now.

By Dengar on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 08:12 am: Edit

This seems very interessting! I think I've to ask a couple of questions that you probably can't answer at this stage anyway, but I'm very courious! You can't be blamed for trying, now can you?

1. How much will it cost?
2. Will you be able to accept credid cards?

And here's one you probably can answer:

3. Will the stuff be green?

Keep up the good work!

By Chrysippvs on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 01:43 am: Edit

At first I grabbed a Thai dictionary from the wall and then I realized it was something much more sinister...

Phoot tai mai thai (I think)

By Don Walsh on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 12:53 am: Edit

Akestae ootae onglae otae eadrea atinlae ostspae. Igpae atinlae isae asterfae!

Ondae Igbae Angomae

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Est major hoc absinthus erit ad meus domi...In spe cogito hoc omnia erit bonus pro bono populi viridus nympha. Maneo....bonus res praemitto...sicut dies antiquus.

IVSTVS MALLEVS QVI VENDAT VIRIDUS NYMPHA

By 21st Century Rimbaud on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 10:16 pm: Edit

I, too, have been waiting a long time to hear this news. I had figured all the hints you guys have been dropping over the past several months might've been leading up to something like this. I commend you on what you are doing for absinthe lovers worldwide, and I will be among the first on line to buy some of your sure-to-be-outstanding product. I have been drinking absinthe for over 2 years now, and have been interested in it since I first saw the famous Degas painting in an art book about 10 years ago. I started with Sebor, moved on to Lasala, then to Deva(my favorite so far) and Mari Mayans. I have been holding off on obtaining La Bleue partly because of it's high price tag, but also because I had a sneaking suspicion that you guys were up to something that would be far superior. So once again, I tip my beaver-skin top hat to all who are involved in this wonderful venture. BRAVO!!! (music fades...)

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Don Walsh on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Sheeeesh! everybody's a latin critic!

But thanks for the boost...

By JKK on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Don,
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Have been waiting since 1976 to hear this! By the way, doesn't APOLOGIA mean DEFENSE? The very best of luck to you in your endeavor!

By bluedog1 on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 07:14 pm: Edit

If it has the stamp of approval of Mr Breaux and other of our illustrious experts (i.e. -- your other testers), I shall be -- in the vernacular -- "there dude".

Congratulations and best wishes in your enterprise!

By Kona on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 02:08 pm: Edit

This is indeed great news; best of luck on your venture.

By Don Walsh on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 09:52 am: Edit

Per correction by the noble blackjack, who obviously has a Jesuit education more recent than my own, the proper title should be:

Apologia pro Vita Mea

"Apology for My Life"

or more loosely

"Excuse me for breathing!" which was how I meant it...

I am not so sure that John Cardinal Newman did not have that in mind as well....God knows he was well put upon in his lifetime.

By Don Walsh on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 09:45 am: Edit

Dear bloodstreamruns

Many thanks for your good cheer. All I can say is that we are going (if I can indulge in a sexist metaphor) balls to the wall to see to it that you are FAR from disappointed. Along of course with everyone else...

We will not take orders till we are shipping ex stock with NO delay.

Thanks again for your well wishes.

D.

By BloodStreamRuns on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 08:55 am: Edit

I think this is the most positive thing that has been posted to this forum in months. I'm looking forward to tasting the fruits of your labors.

By Don Walsh on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 08:35 am: Edit

Dear blackjack

Damn! my father the retired latin teacher will have my hide for that faux pas. Clear evidence of brain damage from the Green Fairy.

But thanks

D.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation