Segarra floaters

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Segarra floaters
By Bob_chong on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 12:59 pm: Edit

La Bodega used to be the sole web source for Segarra (AFAIK) until SC started selling it a few months back.

They are very nice. They even fwded some email from Julian Segarra himself.

It took a few email exchanges to get my order placed. If you buy three bottles, they'll pack them in a cool wooden box. Overall, the prices seemed to be around the same as SC. I suppose if La Bodega's website were a bit more user friendly, I would shop there from time to time, just for shits and giggles. If you were interested in buying from them for some reason, don't even try to order from their site: email them instead. They'll tell you the rest. To be honest, though, I can't see ordering from them unless SC ran out of Segarra or something crazy like that.

BC

By Tavis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 07:44 am: Edit

The Bodega Del Alcalde (www.labodegadelalcalde.com) is a bodega in Madrid. If you're going there it's in the ABC Serrano shopping centre (old offices of the ABC 'newspaper'), nearest Metro Ruben Dario or Serrano. It's a really small place though, worth asking by email whether they stock Segarra in the shop itself before going. A nice old man runs it, very helpful though with limited english.

As far as absinthe goes, they just stock Segarra I believe, fractionally more expensive than SC.

By Grimbergen on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 07:36 am: Edit

I've never heard of this place and it doesn't appear to be in th BG. Please tell us more.

Grim

By Tavis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 06:58 am: Edit

Yeah I've bought wine from the Bodega before, but they charged me for the box, although it was a nice box. This was when I lived 100 metres away from the Bodega, and in all my time in Madrid never once tried absinthe!

By Perruche_verte on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 06:55 am: Edit

My last order of Segarra did that too (it arrived here in the middle of a really intense cold snap). It was very impressive, reminded me of Goldschlager or whatever the hell that tacky liqueur is with the gold flakes floating in it. The flakes all melted and disappeared as the bottle warmed up, and it tasted fine.

I've wanted to order from La Bodega because that wooden box the bottles come in sounds so cool, but as Tavis writes it's less of a deal for the absinthe.

By Tavis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 02:04 am: Edit

Any reason for ordering from them? I only ask because shipping to the UK is more expensive than it is with SC, so it's not really worth it for me. Plus Segarra is a tad more expensive from them too.

Tavis

By Bob_chong on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 02:01 am: Edit

I had some Segarra louche in the bottle due to cold weather. It's all right now.

Segarra is my favorite (so far).

Anyone order from La Bodega del Alcalde lately?

BC

By Artemis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 12:53 am: Edit

"Segarra is good stuff- it's like a candy apple absinthe."

La Fee is candy absinthe as well. I believe it was decided here the white flakes are probably anethole (sp?). It seems very low temperatures induce it congeal like that.

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 12:47 am: Edit

Got my Segarra last night, pulled it from the box... there were thingies floating in there.

They were crystalline flakes, of no particularly discernable growth pattern (which I think means they grew kinda fast.) Very pretty too. They were not water ice though, as it wasn't nearly that cold... but it was pretty chilly. The bottles seem likely to have gone below freezing at some point. They were transparent, and tended to settle to the bottom.

I will check tonight to see if they have melted away or are still there.

Segarra is good stuff- it's like a candy apple absinthe.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation