Austin AbsintheDrinkers

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Austin AbsintheDrinkers
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through January 11, 2001  4   01/11 11:57am

By Fluid on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:00 am: Edit

I think the longest airmail order I heard of was 23 days, and today is 16. hah - it better not be on a boat!!!!

My buddies at Customs are probably partying right now, damn them. I gotta make some calls...

Fluid

By Daedelus on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

I wonder if by post she means the slow boat to the US or airmail. The slow boat would explain the long delay, airmail, I'm not so sure. But what a lady that Christina is. It seems many a man has a crush on this fine lady (sight unseen no less, ahh the wonders of the electronic world)

daedelus

By Fluid on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 04:04 am: Edit

Wow Daedelus,

Check out the response from Cristina about the delay:

Dear Brian,

Please apologyse for the delay in answering you. I am very sorry, but the shipping department made a mistake and sent your order by post and not by Fedex. We will naturally reimburse you for the extra charge you paid for courier. Please let me know if it was very urgent. The order sent by post must be about to arrive.

Please accept our most sincere apologies.

Best regards,
Cristina

I'll use the refund for another order.... via Airmail!!!

Fluid

By Fluid on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 02:40 pm: Edit

Okay, I went back to the website and checked my calculations...

My actual order:
 2x Deva
 1x MM 70° 20cl
10x Montana minis
 2x Absinthe spoons

Total via UPS: 224 euros
Had I used Airmail: 138 euros

There you have it, hope this helps someone other than me, who had to learn the hard way (and it still ain't here, 15 days after my order!).

Also, searching for "absinthe" won't bring up every item. You also have to search for "absenta", or just search "abs" but you'll be skipping past alot vodka...

Man that server is slow today...

Fluid

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 04:53 pm: Edit

What would your mark-up to you be... if this is
worth it, I may try it myself!

By Daedelus on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 11:25 am: Edit

Man if you saw my posts on the powerade thread recently, you might actually believe that I would fall for that...

I'm always looking for a deal. If there was some way I could act as the middle man and sell your $100 bottle to myself for a profit, then....

a-la Orr of Catch-22 fame. Damn thats a good book

daedelus

By Fluid on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 11:20 am: Edit

Hey Daedelus,

I'll gladly trade you one of my $100 Devas for two of your $30 Deva bottles... you could save $40!!!

lol,
Fluid *feelin' stooopid*

By Daedelus on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

shwewww!

I thought i had been foiled again.

daedelus

By Fluid on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 11:00 am: Edit

All montanas, for friends

By Daedelus on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 10:56 am: Edit

What minis did you order. You may very well be the reason why they didn't have the ones I was after in stock. Suze? Chartreuse Green? Chartreuse Yellow?

daedelus

By Fluid on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 10:51 am: Edit

Double D'oh!

Damn, I knew airmail was cheaper but I had no real clue... I suppose I'll write that off to the learning-curve.

Awww man, now I'm really freaked that it's so late... $50 bucks more for half the absinthe and twice the wait. D'oh again. It better be on my porch when I get home...

Dr Evil: "Throw me a frikin' bone here..."

By Daedelus on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 10:39 am: Edit

Do not even think about a broken bottle from SC. It literally took me 10 minutes to get all of he bottles out of my package. I won't go so far as to say that it was impeccably wrapped, but it was wrapped, and stuffed, and wrapped again, and taped, and so on. I could have probably thrown the damn thing from the top of my roof, and still had all of the bottles intact.

and $210. Like I said ouch.

I spent $160 and got 2 segarra, 1 MM, 2 DEVA, and three assorted minis. And it got here post haste.

Nyahh-na-ya-Na- Nyahh-Nyahh (just kidding) If anyone can track down your stuff, Chistina will make it so.

daedelus

By Fluid on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:59 am: Edit

2x deva, 10x minis, 2x spoons ~$210

D'oh!

I knew airmail was cheaper, but I read earlier threads about postal inspectors and such... I'd rather deal with UPS than USPS about a broken bottle...

By Daedelus on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:53 am: Edit

You opted out of airmail?

aaaaaagh. How much was shipping? It must have been quite a credit card charge. Ouch.

I just had a five bottle package delivered directly into my hands, and no probs with any such alcohol regs or such.

Go airmail all the way..

daedelus

By Fluid on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:49 am: Edit

Aww man,

I ordered on the 3rd, it was sent on the 4th UPS, and it still ain't here. I opted out of airmail because of alcohol regs, but sheeesh... had I known it would get here faster, I woulda gone that way.

Cristina is looking for a tracking no., hopefully I'll get some word later...

Fluid, package-less and not in Austin...

By Daedelus on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:34 am: Edit

How happy am I?

I had just laid down to take a quick nap and think longingly about my soon to arrive SC order, when lo and behold, there was a rap-rap-rapping at my chamber door. I knew what it was immediately.

Christina emailed me on monday that my order had been "taken to post" on the 12th. It got here today!

wowwee. 5 friggin' days for airmail. It is almost unheard of I believe. And we had a postal holiday in the US on Mon. so it was effectively 4 friggin' days.

And they managed to keep a theme going throughout the package. They were out of the three minis I wanted so I told Christina to just suprise me, and I ended up with three minis of different bitters-type liqueurs: Kuemmerling (der sanfte bitter!), Campari, and Ricard (o.k. two out of three aint bad).

Long live Spirits Corner!!

I'm now packin (no not my bags) so now I don't have as much guilt about possibly getting together this week.

Anyone...anyone... Bueller..Bueller

daedelus

By Malhomme on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I'm with Daedelus on this one. However, I will venture a date.... How about Friday?

Thegreenimp,
My lady-friend and I will be attending the N.O. gathering. We still haven't worked-out the lodging, however. Hope to see you and others there.
mal

By Thegreenimp on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 10:35 am: Edit

Perhaps some time we could arrange a summit meeting of Texas abs. fans, with our larger than normal land mass, we cover a lot of territory in this state.
I'm planning on being at the N.O. gathering, any other TX people attending?
Jay in Houston

By Daedelus on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 10:27 am: Edit

Seeing as I am self employed I must defer all decision making to those with more stringent scheduling requirements. Any night this week sounds good to me or any night next week would be OK.

Who is going to be the first to suggest a date?

daedelus

By Eric on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 08:32 am: Edit

tonight, tomorrow, thursday or friday this week would be good for me. just not wednesday or saturday

By Malhomme on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 08:20 am: Edit

I have inventory I could bring. Anyone else?

I also have Chartreuse, both green and yellow; pisco; and perhaps something else, I can't remember. If you would like to try any of these just let me know and I'll bring them too.

mal

By Daedelus on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 07:15 am: Edit

A weeknight might be a bit better for me for the next couple of weeks

daedelus

By Daedelus on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 07:12 am: Edit

Maybe if Eric is out there (he seems to have posted recently) we would have a quorum. I'm still up for just about any date. I'm expecting my SC shipment in the next 7 days or so. It shipped on the 12th.
Until such time as it arrives I would be up for some moochin'.

I vote for ASAP. I'm tired of smelling my empty DEVA bottle for a reminder. Hurry up airmail!!!!!

daedelus

By Malhomme on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 05:12 am: Edit

At this point I'll compromise for any date. My contract doesn't appear to be over anytime soon due to perpetually increasing scope. Hey, more billable hours!!! :)

Seriously, I'd love to meet at any time.

I met a guy who works at one of the higher-end liquor retail shops here in town (they have black truffles!!!) and mentioned the group. I think he would be a very welcome guest to be included in the festivities. He really likes pastis, especially bardouin, but would love to sample some abs. A very friendly and knowledgeable guy!

Letís name a date....
mal

By Joalco on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:18 am: Edit

You know, had I read the damn forum before the date had passed, I would've loved to have been there (if admittedly a little jealous). I'll make the next gathering, if only as an observer... Let me know when you good folks want to get together.

Cheers,

jc

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation