Deva 70% - A Review

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Deva 70% - A Review
By Don_walsh on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Typo in my post below. Should read: shooting Popes.

By Artemis on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 05:29 am: Edit

"It is green, significantly moreso than the 70%."

So much for my memory. Is Gingko Biloba one of the secret herbs in your product, Ted?

By Tabreaux on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 05:17 am: Edit

It is green, significantly moreso than the 70%.

By Artemis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Is that an Aubrey Beardsley drawing on the new Deva label?

I seem to remember reviews of the lower proof Mari Mayans that indicated it was nothing like the special edition - not even green. Never tried it, though.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 09:24 pm: Edit

The degree doesn't matter as long as the absinthe tastes like dreck so Hapsburg can experiment how they like. 85% is simply straight raw distillate, without any adjustment to the degree. Although the chances are that Hapsburg is macerated (from oils) and not distilled at all.

Isn't this the Bulgarian product?

They should stick to wet work, shooting Poes and so on.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Sources within the trade tell me that consumers (in the UK at least) want high strength absinthe and that it sells better than lower strength brands. Hapsburg have done a similar thing and brought out a 85% version. My guess would be that Deva are following this trend.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Spot on, Ian. Anyone else have personal experience with both MM types?

I don't think MM 70 was a gimmick. It has weathered the test of time. Deva 70, well, may not. And may not deserve to. Not at a price signicantly above regular Deva.

Was Deva 70 Betty's initiative, or is it a Deva test market or what?

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 08:30 pm: Edit

And don't forget that the 'original' MM was 45% and came in 1l bottles, it was quite different to the 70%. It was the first real absinthe I tasted after my initial encounter with Hills. I seem to recall that it was similar to a cross between Deva and Montana.

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 08:04 pm: Edit

I thought I already answered.

a) I see no reason to assume anything about MM based on Deva.

b) I haven't tasted the weaker MM so I can't compare.

c) MM 70 started out as a Limited Edition but proved so popular that they have kept it on.

Most people seem to regard MM 70 as a rather monochrome star anise flavor, I don't disagree with that. MOST Spanish absinthes can be simplisticly described that way, with variations at to the star anise/citrusy ratio (the citrus in MM 70 being absent or so well hidden I can't taste it.) But the question here is whether the lower degree MM is just as one-trick-pony as the MM 70. Maybe the answer is in the archives, or maybe someone who has tasted both can comment -- I can't.

La Bleue's also use star anise but alongside aniseeed, and sometimes fennel, and the flavor is more complex. Pontarlier absinthes usually eschewed star anise completely, considering it unhealthy(!) and this provides an easy distinguishing characteristic. La Fee seems to have little if any star anise.

Lots of pastis have lots of star anise. As we have often remarked, isn't it odd that a Chinese herb dominates in France and Spain in these regards while the very best anise seed comes from Spain? But they ignore it for making absenta.

(Reason: star anise oil is richer in anethole and weight for weight the star is richer i n oils than the seed, and so star anise oil is more economical for making economical absentas and pastis. However this is at the expense of flavor. Star anise is harsh.)

NB: the Thais know star anise VERY well and use it in cooking esp pigs-knuckles stew (khao kao moo). Eat that and drink MM with it and you will max out on star anise ('buay gaek') fast

A Kg of star anise in Thailand costs about $5 US. That's four times the local price of fennel. Unfortunately anise seed per se can't be found here.

A Kg of anise seed from Europe costs me a little less. Of course we buy it by the metric ton.

By Lowlight on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Don, that's what I was asking; since the Deva 70 is more of a 'gimmick' compared to the 50, would the MM 70 also be a 'gimmick' compared ot the 55?

I ask, because my first bottle (shipped yesterday) will be MM 70 (or the Segarra, depending on which arrives first).

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 04:55 pm: Edit

I don't see any reason why it is necessary to argue that any other absinthe or absinthoid liqueur is like Deva 70 vs Deva 50, just because they are also 70 degree abv.

Better to actually compare MM 70 with the lesser strength MM. I have only tasted the 70 degree MM so I'm the wrong person to ask.

There ought to be comparitive reviews to look at in the archives, though.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 04:42 pm: Edit

As far as MM 70% vs. MM 55%, the 55% has a stronger color. My WAG (wild ass guess) is that the alcohol/extracts mixture is diluted with water which already contains the coloring agent. Therefore, the more diluted mixture (i.e. the 55%) has the stronger color.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Nah, Mari Mayans is just another pastis in my book...
Now that I am looking closer, that label is pretty cheesey. Even the poorest and generic looking vintage labels were pretty impressive. From all the modern labels I have seen to date the best one is the Oxygenee or pre-1997 Lasala label. I don't know, to me the more people play up the "absinthe as a mystical experience" the more I grow disinterested. I suppose I am just a purist.

By Lowlight on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Does this "gimmick" apply to Mari Mayans 70%?

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 03:19 pm: Edit

what a shame...gimmicks

By Don_walsh on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 02:32 pm: Edit

It does rather suggest that the Deva 70 is just Deva with less water in the mix. If Deva is distilled they just correct this one to 70 degree, rather than the usual. If Deva is mixed from oils, same thing applies.

It's clear to see that there should if anything be a lower price on this version. 70% abv of 700 ml is 490 ml alcohol by volume, the remainder 210 ml being water.

50% of 1 liter is 500 ml alcohol in a regular bottle of Deva.

That makes the label quite expensive doesn't it?

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 02:24 pm: Edit

I received this bottle of Deva 70% from Betty, and as usual, it was delivered right on time and packaged well.

Unlike the 1L size of regular Deva, the 70% blend is packaged in a 700mL bottle, which naturally, is 70% of the 1L volume. The bottle is clear and is a bit nicer than the regular bottle, as is the labeling. The rear label says something like this (in Spanish): This elaborate spiritous drink is from an old formula with more than 100 years of history." Of course, everyone these days seems to make such claims regarding products obviously derived from modern manufacture and materials.

Regardless, this product seems to be identical to regular Deva with the exception that it is 70% (140 proof) as opposed to the 50% (100 proof) of the regular Deva. I don't know what the price difference between the two actually is (if any), but you can expect 20% more alcohol per unit volume and 30% less overall volume than the regular Deva.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Deva70

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation