Swiss LaBleue

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Swiss LaBleue
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through January 13, 2001  5   01/13 08:07am

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 07:52 am: Edit

More like balsagna...

By Head_prosthesis on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 07:40 am: Edit

Is that like frumunda?

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 07:29 am: Edit

Head, you are so wrong... the other organism
that's like a virus, it's actually a forumite... they
go to a thread and bore and bore, speaking
wordy volumes that say very little or nothing,
wearing out peoples patience until all interest
is gone and to make their ego survive they
move to another thread. Very similar to
Democrats only not quite as destructive.

By Head_prosthesis on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:43 pm: Edit

"I am constantly suprised (and amused!) by the amount of abuse the human body can handle."

"Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment. But you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus." -Agent Smith

"While the human body is very fragile. The human race is the most notorius, unstopable, destructive virus know to this planet." -Red Sovine

By Grimbergen on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 09:58 pm: Edit

btw peppermint and anis are a great combination.

Grim

By Fluid on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:14 am: Edit

ahhh yes, I could have included that! So:

8) Absolutley delicious, like candy

Fluid

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:08 am: Edit

And it tastes good too!

By Leprofvert on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:04 am: Edit

Yes, Betty's La Bleue is not for the financially squeamish...I guess I think of it like I think of my wee silver BMW 328i...I had to save hard for it, but that unique stick-shift pounce on the highway is worth every belt-hole I tightened. B's Swiss La Bleue delivers the same kind of accelerated aphrodisia. Compare too the first-class bumper-to-bumper warrantee/service with Betty's. Altogether an intoxicating experience.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 01:20 am: Edit

I put away a half bottle on New Years Eve and
kept ticking like the Energizer Bunny™
You can't take it with you... drink it, don't save it!

By Fluid on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 12:51 am: Edit

My girlfriend and I put away 1/4 bottle of Betina's last night... in about an hour... felt great for the next hour... then wham!! Dizziness, stomache tingles, spinning... I spent some time keeping myself breathing while laid out on the couch attempting to watch "Road Trip"... Beth felt fine, and had no idea why I was so wasted... but then when I felt better, she yaked.

Responding to various threads from the past 6 months, I'll have to say:
1) yes it tastes like licorice silk,
2) 60mg sounds high, I'd guess 30-40mg but then again I don't know, it's an uninformed guess,
3) its at least 50°,
4) Delivery, etc. was easy and a pleasure,
5) Thank God this is pricey, it otherwise would become a debilitating habit,
6) It's an aphrodisiac, no doubt.
7) As far as secondary effects go, I experienced:
  a) no effect of alcohol for first 2 hours
  b) giggles and general silliness (I'm a lightweight anyway, hardly ever drink anything other than coffee or water)
  c) A whisp of a face checking me out through the window... was that the fairy? I wanted to drink more and chase her...
  d) Loss of appetite
  e) A need to speak and listen to the brutal truth (thank God Beth and I keep no secrets)
  f) intensified colors, especially yellows
  g) time seemed to melt away, but that sounds more intense than what I experienced

How did it make me feel? Randy and silly, with an extreme clarity of mind. We are eagerly awaiting the arrival for BEI's Bleue for comparison...

Fluid

By Martin on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 09:48 pm: Edit

I never said wormwood was safe.

-Martin

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:14 pm: Edit

I stand utterly corrected. I expect to see wormwood products at McDonald's soon. I don't know shit about wormwood anyway, I just pretend I do on the Internet. You won't hear another anti-wormwood sermon from me, ever.
There, that ought to do it.

By Martin on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 11:25 am: Edit

Sheesh...

Artemis,

I'm man enough to stomach undistilled wormwood. That's basically what my first batch was. No, it didn't taste very good at all, but I didn't find the bitterness to be all that awful. It reminded me of very strong unsweetened grapefruit juice. It wasn't yummy, but it wasn't the evil monster you're trying to portray it as. I've chewed on it too... that had about the same flavor.

People make herbal infusions with grappa and other strong alcohols all the time, so I don't see what the big deal is with what we're doing. So far, I've been smart enough not to poison myself, and my first batch had about four times the wormwood my next batch will have.

I have a friend who was trying to make some distilled, but his homemade still broke. A few months later, he still had his original maceration sitting around. He was curious, so he and a friend drank it..... all of it. He said it tasted horrible, but he didn't die, and his shit was chock full of wormwood and he drank way way more of it than I did of my stuff. It really got him inebriated (if that's the right word for it), but any poisoning he may have had obviously wasn't enough to kill him.

I have another friend who's living, breathing proof that you can shoot up 100 proof vodka mixed with cocaine into your veins and live. He said it was a great high. I personally have never touched cocaine, nor do I have any desire too. I'm not too keen on the idea of injecting alcohol either, but I am constantly suprised (and amused!) by the amount of abuse the human body can handle.

Those two anecdotes have little to do with this conversation, but I think they do proove a point that we are not quite so fragile as some may have us believe. Of course, there are exceptions.

Thanks for thegood and yummy vibes Simbai, they shall be put to good use. I shall inform you of my progress soon.

-Martin

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

Rue is the most bitter herb.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 09:06 am: Edit

I don't know about sage, I thought wormwood held that place, but I remember somebody here recently saying wormwood was the *second* most bitter herb. In any case, the experimenters will find out first hand what I've been trying to tell them - you don't want it in your cookies.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 07:51 am: Edit

after working with wormwood for any reason the origins of absinthe are obvious...it wasn't made for taste so much as for it's medicinal value. Notice that most old absinthe labels read "Extrait D'Absinthe".

BTW I thought that Sage was the most bitter Herb...

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 07:31 am: Edit

Wormwood is a whole new world of nasty compared to aspirin. It's not the most bitter plant in the world for nothing.

What I meant about needing a still is, you need it to separate the nice things about wormwood (the smell and some *possibly* psychoactive chemicals), from the nasty things (BIG-time nasty bitterness). And that would be true regardless of what you were planning to ultimately do with said things - make absinthe, make cookies, make perfume, make worm killer.

Forgive me if I'm saying things you know, but it's called wormwood because it puts worms on the run. Before absinthe, people took it because they had to, not because it's something that makes cookies nice and tasty.

By Simbai on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 04:36 am: Edit

The Sabres? What's that supposed to mean? I'm not screwing the hockey team either! But maybe if you send me a bottle of La Bleue, I'll let you buy me dinner. Lay off the Flinstones, though.

By Daedelus on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:37 am: Edit

insert continuation of cultural mis-communication here.

daedelus

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:35 am: Edit

And how are the Sabres doing this year? Oh,
you own the team, fabulous!

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:34 am: Edit

Hmm... I feel as though I've been
misunderstood once again... never mind.
Martin is not your boyfriend and you only eat
fillet mignon for breakfast while sipping your
La Bleue before going to your afternoon
catillion in your Bentley, okay? Pray for whirled
peas!!!

By Daedelus on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:34 am: Edit

insert continuation of cultural mis-communication here.

daedelus

By Simbai on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:21 am: Edit

The what now? I'm not dating any Big Boys. You mean Ted & Don? Or are you referring to a football team? So now I'm a whore, am I?

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:14 am: Edit

BTW... I don't mind the taste of aspirin... they
do work much more quickly when you chew
them.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:13 am: Edit

Oh, I apologize, I should have known of
course. It must be Big Boys then? Or
perhaps Steak n Shake? I'll buy next time!

By Simbai on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:06 am: Edit

I know, it tastes like aspirin. I'm trying to research the chemistry right now and see what would be best. No Pikkle, I'm not a cheap date.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:53 am: Edit

Are you Martin's girlfriend? Does he take you
on dates to Denny's?

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:18 am: Edit

"And for the record I'm certainly not even man enough to stand up while I pee, thank you very much."

My apologies. I just checked your profile. But I meant "man" in a generic sense, and my remark was intended not only for you but for anybody thinking about making a concoction with wormwood in it.

Forget what your're trying or not trying to make okay? WORMWOOD TASTES LIKE HELL!! Okay? Now go chew on the stuff if you must.

By Simbai on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:00 am: Edit

Martin, I shall encourage you to make your non-absinthe crazy brew. And I will send you good and yummy vibes for your success. And when you come up with a delicious recipe, you write to Stoli and they will be sooo happy to have another flavor. Why does everyone think we're making absinthe, I wonder. I'M NOT MAKING ANY &*^%%# ABSINTHE!!!! Thought I even said something about cookies. And for the record I'm certainly not even man enough to stand up while I pee, thank you very much.

By Perruche_verte on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:36 pm: Edit

The downside is waiting about a year for the result.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 03:41 pm: Edit

On the advice of former friends, I recommend making Mead (medieval honey-wine) to those just dying to concoct something esoteric at home. It's about as easy as making beer, your house won't explode, and if you do a rotten job you won't be too disappointed, as there are no high-quality commercial alternatives to make your work suffer by comparison.

K.

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:20 pm: Edit

I've been censored. Thanks, Admin.

(FWIW, I had an inconsequential post and it didn't need to be saved for posterity, but I do find it odd that it has been removed.)

BC

By Artemis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 10:29 am: Edit

"Wise Artemis, I have no still. I don't think I'd even try. I'm just not set up for all that. No space, no equipment, no time. That's why I'm playing with other ideas."

I'm not one of the people here who try to talk people out of doing whatever. I do like to convey the truth when it's obvious, and I know you can't make anything remotely like absinthe without a still. When it comes to wormwood, trust me when I say, without knowing you and without trying to insult you, that you are not man enough to stomach undistilled wormwood. But go ahead and play, experience is a good teacher. If you live. And if you don't, it may teach someone else.

By Simbai on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 08:42 am: Edit

I'm sure some kid will get some absinthe and drink himself to death anyway. Like they do with Budweiser on a daily basis. I can see what you're saying, but I'm sure plenty of people on this forum enjoy experimenting with herbs in general, and I think we should be able to share our fun. Most herbally inclined people know enough to be careful with what they do.
Though I don't know why people are sending you samples. Maybe they're trying to poison you...I certainly wouldn't accept any homemade goodies from some freak on the internet. ;)
Martin, I'm not sure what I'll make yet. I don't think I'd want to try to make something too absinthe-y because I would probably disappoint myself. Actually, I was thinking today about making some cookies to go with the absinthe! That's completely off-track but I was thinking of making "artemisian butter". But I still have the wassail thing in mind and something else. I really want to try something with peppermint and anise. I'm not sure if they'd fight each other too much though. Need the proper balance. I have to do some herb-sniffing when I get some time.

Wise Artemis, I have no still. I don't think I'd even try. I'm just not set up for all that. No space, no equipment, no time. That's why I'm playing with other ideas.

Oh, I wanted to thank Anatomist1 for the club soda suggestion! Right on!

Gotta go!

By Artemis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:41 am: Edit

"I think you're with me on this Simbai... neither of us are trying to make "real" absinthe, just
something yummy with the character and "vibe" of absinthe. Am I right?"

You're not going to do it without a still. And I know I'm right.

By Pikkle on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:15 am: Edit

What's a 'hostipal?"

By Martin on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

I consider what I'm making, "Absinthe-Flavored Vodka". I haven't a clue as to the thujone content (nor do I care), but I wouldn't be suprised if it contained none as I don't use essential oils. I'm only interested in the flavor, the chemical content is unimportant to me. If I want real absinthe, I drink real absinthe.

I think you're with me on this Simbai... neither of us are trying to make "real" absinthe, just something yummy with the character and "vibe" of absinthe. Am I right?

My process is based on one relayed to me by Brother Spiritus in his recipe for Laudanum. I'll give you specific details when I've come to a conclusion on it's efficacy (and safety).

-Martin

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 10:53 am: Edit

I wasn't being particular at all, just being general. Many people read this forum and I just wanted to make sure that people aren't doing that. For two reasons 1) because it may be dangerous for both them and the people drinking it and 2) if someone does drink it and get sick or die, imagine the headline "Local man dies from illegal licqour" or "Youth in hostipal after drinking illicit absinthe."

Bad news for everyone.

By Simbai on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

Martin: What's the process? Give me a tip here, I haven't started yet. I don't want no oily mess!
Chrysippvs:
I never said I was making Absinthe! I'll leave that to those with thousands of dollars in equipment. I plan on making something else with the wormwood. Believe me, there are plenty of things you can do with herbs and they don't all involve renal failure. Just because it doesn't come from a factory doesn't mean it's not safe or even delicious.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

What is funny is every few weeks I get batches of homebrew from people all over the US, I must admit I never taste any of them. People have to learn that soaking herbs in alcohol is NOT Absinthe. Adding oils together is a little better, but is not absinthe. Both of which are prone to being toxic, and renal damage is not fun.

Unless it is properly distilled it is in no way absinthe in my book. I don't know how many bottle of Pernod I get with a strong smell of wormwood oil or extract, some some much so that in a clear bottle you can see the seperation...

And my favorite line from them all is "This is full of thujone!" I am going to buy some pernod, melts some vics vapor rub into it, and sell it as Absinthe Verlaine, stick a silly label on it and make a fortune...

By Martin on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 10:09 am: Edit

I too, am working on a tasty homebrew.... I've got a really interesting process for infusing the flavors into the alcohol without the thick, oily nastiness normally associated with maceration. My first batch wasn't very tasty (too much wormwood!), but it proved to me that the process is very effective for infusing the essense "cleanly". I'm preparing the recipe for the next batch, hopefully I'll have it done by the end of the week. My process only requires a couple days of maceration, and it may even work in less time than that. Further experimentation is definately in order... I love playing Mad Scientist! I think my process is sound, I just need to experiment more with the recipe. I'll share my findings with everyone once I come up with something that meets my standards for tastyness. I'm also going to try to get a really cool green color without having to resort to artificial coloration.

I'm doing all this for two reasons: One, its alot of fun. Two, I have many interesting theories for a good absinthe recipe and I want to see if any of them will work. I am dissatisfied with the quality of most commercial absinthes and I want to see if I can come up with something better (gee, I'm starting to sound like Ted and Don). If my experimentation is successful I will freely share it with everyone, so other adventuresome folks can give it a try. If it fails.. oh well, I guess I'll just have to stick with my Herring and MM.

Let the experiments continue!

-Martin

By Simbai on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 09:34 am: Edit

Mmmm. Yummy. I lost my virginity the other day to some MM. So good. Like a mouthful of anise seeds. My partner in crime and I tried one with the melting ice cube (as we drank others--it's cold here--it took forever!). But it was really cool. A mini planet formed on the bottom of the glass. When the cube had finally melted, there was a layer of fairy dust on the surface of the liquid that looked waxy, but melted in your mouth. I guess its the oils. For those of you who don't remember, I was the one who said I didn't like anise. I'm pretty clear on it now, though. I don't like the shitty anisette I purchased, which is probably artificial anyway. The MM is DELICIOUS!! The Serpis was less than fascinating (very flat flavor), but it's okay to drink when you're too drunk to appreciate anything better. I switched after a few hours. Woke up next day so rested and not a bit hung over, which is unusual for me. I'm usually very sensitive to the toxins I ingest. Must be all the analgesics. Nevertheless, I would love to try some of the higher-end absinthes. Can't wait, as a matter of fact. But I'm poor so I keep trying to find other sources. What's the deal? I don't really have a problem with the domestic prices, per say. I understand the business (all too well). But I'd much rather try to get the stuff direct. I can only find La Fee (sp) at one place on the damn internet. And I'm American! And I want to try LaBleue but short on funds! Anyway, I just wanted to drop a line that I'd tried it and I'm hooked. And to say that I'll eventually be trying to make some sort of shitty home brew. I have all this wormwood, so why not? If it's not disgusting and I can get some sort of yummy recipe together, I'll share. Though the wormwood is so bitter and aspiriny. I'm thinking about using peppermint with it. Or maybe I can concoct a wassail type drink with it--that'd be a good idea (cloves/anise/nutmeg--knock you on your ass)...But more later when I get my act together. Thanks for all your words! Herbal wonders never cease...

By Tabreaux on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 08:56 am: Edit

I wouldn't consider anyone in question to be the equivalent of a pimp or scalper. Like the price of Levi's in Tokyo, the street price varies with locale. If it weren't for two people and their efforts (which cost money), you wouldn't be able to get it at any price (not reliably anyway). The only 'pimps' and 'scalpers' are the makers of useless swill who dupe consumers with phony product descriptions and charge 1000% profit. You know who they are. With La Bleue, even at $200 per, you are getting more for your money. After all, I'd rather pay $200 and get something than pay $80 and get garbage. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 07:16 am: Edit

Quote:

At my income level, I can't justify paying 500-1000% of street price for procurement services.

Would that make Betty an absinthe pimp?

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 06:40 am: Edit

Bear in mind that neither Ted nor Don have conclusively said anything about the products or their variety. Don't count your absinthes before they louche...

By Martin on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 06:18 am: Edit

There will be THREE Thai products? And all this time I was thinking there was only going to be one. What, is it different flavors?

-Martin

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 06:00 am: Edit

Most likely, I will permanently pass on La Bleue. At my income level, I can't justify paying 500-1000% of street price for procurement services. Once the three Thai products are out, I suspect I will have no reason to regret it.

K.

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Not any time soon...it is a 1 in a thousand shot to even find a bottle with any contents...one with good cotents, sealed, and labeled, nearly impossible...

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Real Pernod ? I would drop to my knee's

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 04:04 pm: Edit

How do you think when people try to sell me bottles of vintage Pernod for 4K?

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 03:27 pm: Edit

OK...was just wondering. For 150.00 it should come with a blow job.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation