Absinthe in Sweden

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Absinthe in Sweden
By Black_rabbit on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:23 am: Edit

But the idea is to keep your citizens from commiting the act, for fear of death. And to stop the criminal from commiting the crime again.

A death penalty that kills innocents still accomplishes both of these.

Albert Speer (Nazi guy locked up after Nuremburg trial) described incarceration as living death. They take your life slowly there, rather than quickly, and imprisoning an innocent man should be no more morally acceptable that killing him, if it bothers you to kill him.

The question then becomes on what side of the line do you err- do you let people go you aren't reeeeally sure of being guilty? You will still get some innocent ones, but fewer. The price you pay is the larger number of criminals running around, doing bad things to good people.

Perhaps we need a new Australia- a place where the guilty can still live, really live, instead of die or pace their days out slowly, wishing to die.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 03:59 am: Edit

IMO the most important objection to the death penalty is the fact that the legal system is far from infallible.

If you lock someone up and many years later fresh evidence arises which casts doubt on the fairness of the person's trial you can release that person. There have been many several fairly recent miscarriages of justice in the UK with men convicted of murder being released many years later when it has come to light that the police and prosecutors appeared to have buried evidence in order to achieve a conviction.

There has also been the case of a young man who was hung (when we did have hanging) for murdering a policeman and has now been cleared. A bit late for him, (although it means a lot to his family, I'm sure they'd rather have him back).

Do we really trust the police and prosecutors to be entirely honest in all such situations?

And even if we do, do we think that those involved in our legal system are not prone to errors of judgement?

Punishment should be about administering justice, not about revenge, or apealling to public blood-lust.

The legal system doesn't always get it right and if you've executed a man in error then you can't bring him back.

Hobgoblin

By Tavis on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 07:45 am: Edit

Jesus loves noone, since he doesn't exist. But that's not important right now.....

By Malhomme on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 07:22 am: Edit

Jeezus doesn't love you, freak!!!
:)

By Pikkle on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 06:13 am: Edit

Personally, I think they should bring back
public executions. I think they should be
broadcast in public schools and incorporated
into the curriculum. Do something very wrong,
and this is what happens. End of story.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Thoughts for those involved in Death Penalty ballyhoo:

In practice, I object to the death penalty on the grounds that the government has proved incapable of administering it fairly, even with all of the extra appeals and such in place -- which incidentally makes it more expensive than permanent incarceration.

I say there is no question that the behavior of some people is so heinous and irredeemable that their existence should be ended. If I could be omniscient, with absolute certainty of who did what, snap my fingers and blink them all out of existence I would, but I would do it without malice or anger. Unfortunately, as a society, the best we can hope for is to remove them from everyone's way as cheaply and fairly as possible: this is not an adequate description of the death penalty.

I think the most important reason to object to the Death Penalty is that we, as a society, have a vested interest in not encouraging the vindictive and bloodthirsty impulses of law-abiding citizens. Face it: 99% of DP advocates take that position because they get a vicarious thrill out of knowing that revenge was exacted from someone who was bad.

How I might feel or behave if I or someone I cared about was killed, tortured, or otherwise violated is not relevant. In principle, and for the benefit of civilization, I object to indulgence in vengeful behavior because it makes us worse as
human beings. It allows the horror of crime and human predation to harm us in a much deeper way than the infliction of emotional and physical pain wrought by actual criminals. We should aspire to grace, compassion, and equanimity in the face of hopelessness and horror, and our laws should not hinder these aspirations.

K.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Martin:

That may be the same episode. I recall hearing that they implied/stated that it was pastis on the show to cover their ass.

By Martin on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Anatomist,

I've vaguely remember seeing mention of that show. I really wish I'd seen it. The local station show reruns of it alot, so if I'm lucky sometime I'll catch it. I did see the one where she drank pastis, but there was no mention of absinthe on that particular episode. The whole time I was thinking to myself, "She's wishing that was a glass of absinthe in her hand."

Malhomme,

"To support this system, whether actively or passively, is shameful."

To support our government in ANY way is shameful.

"The bigots have won and it is our nation's disgrace,"

Our nation was disgraced the moment the first drop of ink touched the paper that was to become the Constitution.

Joshua,

"america needs a real party system,there is only one party as it is now,the corporate intrest party."

America doesn't need a real party system... it needs to destroy it's horrifying government. Corporate interests will ALWAYS rule as long as Capitalism exists.

You guys who think the government stinks need to realize that it cannot possibly ever be reformed. The only way to change it from the corrupt cesspool it is now would be to overthrow it and replace it. But not replace it with another "Government", replace it with NOTHING.

You need to stop voting Democratic and start throwing bombs.

-Martin

By Malhomme on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 02:08 pm: Edit

"Folks executed or incarcerated in this country began with a presumption of innocence and were found guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, in a trial by their peers."

This doesn't legitimaize it at all. And it's still draconian.

"calling everyone executed in Texas 'innocent' is laughable"

1. No one said "everyone" was innocent that was executed. These are your words and it's no laughing matter. This is your first fallacy.

2. It's also a fallacy to presume that it's only wrong if everyone is innocent. It's wrong if only one innocent person is murdered by the state.

3. It's still wrong even if everyone executed in Texas was 100% guilty of the crime for which they are sentenced. Again, it's draconian. And as any objective and reasonable person knows, upon looking at the evidence, innocent people are and will be executed.

To support this system, whether actively or passively, is shameful. Would you have also supported slavery in 1860?

mal

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Martin:

Not only would Martha Stewart drink absinthe, she has: ON HER SHOW! The absinthe in question was made by our own Ted & Don. I'm sure someone here can remember the details...

K.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 01:55 pm: Edit

(duplicate post error)

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

There is no way to know who could be the next Hitler. They must possess the qualities neccessary, but they must also come at the right time, the people must let them become that. So given the oppurtunity, would Bush act as Hitler did? A matter of speculation at this point. Remember, Hitler was still Hitler *before* he killed one person, and he couldn't have killed anyone without help.

I think it's fair to speculate in such a manner- not thinking anyone could be the next Hitler is a trap. One the Germans fell into first. But we had Grant, and he attempted genocide. No one much mentions that these days, do they? His face is still on the fucking money, and he rounded people up into camps and systematically killed them. It can happen here, it HAS happened here, and if we don't watch out, it's going to happen again.

Picture ten really bad years down the road, another great depression. You don't think if Americans are starving, that Bush would give the order to shoot Mexican border crossers on sight? I can see it. Short step from there to a round up.

We are fat and happy now. It's easy to say 'this is America dammit, land of oppurtunity. let em in!' But most people still get really pissed at immigrants for coming here. Picture those pissed off people, hungry, with an army there to help eliminate the competition for jobs and a leader willing to use it.

We are relocating you to a place where you will be better off, folks, a camp where there will be food and people of your own kind. GET ON THE BUS OR WE WILL OPEN FIRE.

By Bob_chong on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 10:57 am: Edit

Folks executed or incarcerated in this country began with a presumption of innocence and were found guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, in a trial by their peers. This justice system is not infallible, but it lets the guilty go free far, far, far more often than the innocent go to jail.

So calling everyone executed in Texas "innocent" is laughable.

BC

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 10:52 am: Edit

I think everyone directly involved with the decision to execute should be required to participate. You sign the order, you pull the switch. You sentance, you assist.

You are govenor, you spend the 24hrs prior to death visiting the inmate. You look him in the eye. THEN you kill him. Because then you will be sure. It should not be easy, done from a distance, or clean, and if you are willing to kill someone in a premeditated manner, you should damn well have put up with the bad dreams. I bet the number of executed would drop like a damn rock after that first one.

By Joshua on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 10:48 am: Edit

even hitler had to start somewhere.and as far as calling me a child isnt nitpicking over spelling rather childish?a few innocent people or 6 million,its still uneeded bloodshed.

By Bob_chong on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 10:05 am: Edit

Holocaust 2? That diminishes the real holocaust. Open up a history book, child.

It's ok for you to dislike Bush, but to say he is akin to Hitler shows your lack of knowledge. A few score people sent to the electric chair after a trial by jury is NOT the same thing as rounding up 6M Jews and millions more of other types (Roma, etc.).

Do you "sound like a crazed milita [sic] member"? No, you just sound like a 21 year old Floridian who can't spell his home city correctly on his profile.

BC

By Joshua on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 09:58 am: Edit

george dubya is a snake in the grass,daddies boy.i wouldnt doubt it if his brother rigged the florida ballots.if he runs america like he ran texas,get ready for the holocaust part 2.america needs a real party system,there is only one party as it is now,the corporate intrest party.dont i sound like a crazed milita member or what?but thats how i feel on the matter

By Malhomme on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 09:24 am: Edit

Speaking of complete bullshit, Dubya hides behind the law claiming to do the will of the Texas people.

We all saw it in the debates: he gets gleeful about executing people. Texas has a higher rate of executions than any (other) industrialized western nation. That's appalling. The view of Artemis that Dubya is carrying-out the will of the Texas people is myopic. Sure, he is sworn to serve the citizenry of Texas, but this is not limited to upholding the law but to insuring that the law is just, fair, and impartial.

The fact is, capital punishment as practiced in Texas is not just, fair, or impartial. It is classist, racist, and a sham for justice. Popular DEFENSE attorneys of death penalty cases in Texas routinely brag about the number of successful convictions they have had. One of these even fell asleep during the trial! If you are poor or non-white and cannot afford an attorney you are far more likely to be convicted of a capital offense in Texas than similar cases where the defendants are middle-class whites.

In Texas, innocent people are killed in the name of the law. Be certain of it. And though Dubya hides behind "the will of the people", it too is his responsibility to investigate this flawed judicial system and innact reforms. But this was too much for Dubya. In his term as our governor he never once investigated this system. The road to Washington is paved with the blood of our states executed.

Yesterday a man was released from prison here in Texas after serving nearly 12 years for a rape he didn't commit. After nearly a decade and a half it was proven through DNA testing that he had not committed the crime he was wrongly imprisoned for. His alleged partner in crime will be released today, but only after having his life taken away by being so severely beaten in prison he now has the intelligence of an eight-year-old child. This isn't justice it's an outrage. How can Dubya so smugly deny there is any reason to doubt he has executed innocent men???

(As for Christianity, it's a shame that it is not so good in practice as it is in philosophy. It tends to shelter bigots and worse under the rationalization that "everyone is a sinner". And not that I have more than just a local disagreement with Christianity. I think everyone's got it wrong. And when someone smugly tells me what to "believe or else", I have to take exception to that. When they demand that I listen to their prayers but will not listen to mine, I will do something about that.)

mal

By Pataphysician on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

Evangelical Christians are out to convert you to their beliefs, to make you submit to their rules. When they get in government they have the power to do it.

By Artemis on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 07:50 am: Edit

"a Christian rigth-wing fanatic who likes to fry people in the electric chair"

"That's just about right."

It's complete bullshit.

GW Bush did not create the laws of the state of Texas. The people of Texas did that through their legislators. GW, as governor, is OBLIGATED to carry out the law. As to right wing, he's only right wing in the sense of being further from the left than some others, such as Gore. As to Christian, although I'm not a Christian, I've yet to see anybody coherently and intelligently point out what's wrong with being a Christian.

By Malhomme on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 06:52 am: Edit

"a Christian rigth-wing fanatic who likes to fry people in the electric chair"

That's just about right. And it's why these are such sad days in America. The bigots have won and it is our nation's disgrace.

Presidency for Sale: 91 Million, OBO!!!
mal

By Dengar on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 03:28 am: Edit

Please excuse me; I've made a mistake. When I said I didn't like Bushīs wife I was thinking of Tipper Gore... Tipper is of course the wife of Al Gore, I mixed them up. I have no clue who George Bush wife is, or even if he's married for that part! So of course I can't have any opion about her, my mistake.

However I do stand by my opion of George Bush. I may be misinformed, and if so please correct me, but my picture of him is that he is a Christian rigth-wing fanatic who likes to fry people in the electric chair. As I've said; not my kind of guy.

By Dengar on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 03:19 am: Edit

Bob: Like Iīve said: I've no clue about his [Bush] policy on taxes and I don't care.

By Martin on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 02:47 am: Edit

Martha Stewart rocks. She reminds me of alot of Polish girls I met in Chicago. That type doesn't take any shit from anyone. I would really like to meet her and have a few glasses of absinthe. I know she would appreciate it.

I bet she'd be alot of fun to get drunk with. I can tell she likes to drink.

I bet she smells nice too. Nice and clean. I like that.

-Martin

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Buchanan never married. Arthur's wife died before he took office. Harrison's wife died during his last year in office.

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Wait, now you're over here dissing my gal Hillary? Machiavellian bitches really turn me on. I would like to ask her for a date. Failing that, maybe I could date her daughter. I think everyone, including Bob, has made too many assumptions about the relationship between Lady Hillary and King Bill. What we have here is a marriage of convenience. Besides, I read in the enquirer that Hillary gets her allotment of lesbian trysts on the side too. The lying to the public part is just business -- don't be naive. Ever heard of an unmarried US President? Next question...

I think Martha Stewart is pretty hot, too. I love how she scares the shit out of unwanted visitors to her property by menacing them with her SUV. Plus, she can make a giant banquet fit for royalty out of nothing but graham crackers, a can of soup, and some old pipe cleaners. If I showed up one night in nothing but a jock strap, do you think I could get her to fire up the Land Rover and chase me around the yard for a while?

K.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 08:42 pm: Edit

I'm still waiting for her apology to the vast right wing conspiracy.

Did she ever, for a second, doubt her husband was getting his dick sucked by the intern? If so, her inability to learn anything shows her a fool. If not, her bald-faced lies to the American public are worthy of vitriol. Which person is she? The dolt or the liar?

BTW--read a great piece on McSweeney's suggesting that the only way Monica L. can overcome her status as the woman who sucked Clinton's dick is to go on a multi-state shooting spree.

Great stuff.

BC

By _blackjack_ on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 08:36 pm: Edit

I don't think she's done much of anything for the country, good or bad. Certainly not anything to warrant the level of hatred leveled against her by some on the right.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 08:28 pm: Edit

What I meant was that she has been a politician for years and years now but has never actually run for anything (until two seconds ago). That's what sets her apart from other politicians. Maybe this isn't making any sense. Poor grammar construction on my part. Sorry. I mean, without actually running for anything, she's just a demagogue. She represented no one except herself.

Can you name anything specific she's done for the country that has been successful? I didn't think so.

BTW--it takes a family, not a fucking village.

BC

By _blackjack_ on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 07:15 pm: Edit

People were attacking Hillary long before she ran for office.

Anyway, lots of people serve their first office as a senator. JFK, for one. Dan Quayle, for another.

Remember, President is only Dubyas second elected office.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 06:17 pm: Edit

The biggest problem with Hil as a pol is that she has never been actually elected to any office (until two seconds ago).

BC

By _blackjack_ on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 04:39 pm: Edit

I've never understood the vitriol spewed at Hillary Clinton. Has she done anything that the average MALE politician hasn't? Her only crime seems to be that she dares to be ruthless without having a penis.

By Martin on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 04:21 pm: Edit

I'm not a big fan of Bush either, but however bad his wife might be, she's nothing compared to what the alternative was. Tipper Gore is an evil evil bitch. Has anyone heard of the PMRC? I shudder to think what she might try to do if she were First Lady. She's caused enough damage already, I'm glad the American voters kept her out of power.

The church is going to be affecting decisions regardless of who the President is. I don't like Al Gore because he's a swishy dickhead who is about as liberal as the Pope and his evil wife would like nothing more than to censor all music and art. George Bush isn't much better, but at least he's not trying to fool anyone. That's why I have more respect for Republicans, they don't try to fool you, they just put it all out on the table and say "This is what we're about, if you don't like it, then fine." Democrats on the other hand, would have everone believe that they're "for the People" and all that other pseudo-Liberal nonsense, when they are in reality every bit as corrupt and vile as the Republicans. The fact that they try to hide it makes it that much worse. I consider myself an Anarchist... you would think I would be more inclined to support the more Liberal Democrats, but what kind of anarchist would I be if I supported any political party? I respect the Republicans more because at least they have the guts to stand behind their beliefs. I hate the Democrats because they make a sick mockery of what Liberalism is supposed to be. They would have the government control every facet of life if they could... that goes against everything anarchism is about.

-Martin

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Something wrong with Laura Bush? Let's hope she's no Hillary.

Like I said, criticism of the US executive coming from a Swedish tax collector is no surprise.

BC

By Dengar on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Bob: I've no clue about his policy on taxes and I don't care. :-)

He isn't my kind of guy, and from what I've heard about his wife; she's even worse.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:02 am: Edit

Coming from a Swedish tax collector, that first sentence doesn't surprise me.

BC

By Dengar on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:31 am: Edit

That new president of yours doesnít seem to be a step in the right direction, if you ask me.

Scandinavia was the last part of Europe to adopt Christianity. That may have something to do with the lame grip that the church has here.

Martin: I like Dominion Caligula because they donít play so fast! They rely more on good slow riffs, mixed with the usual kind of Black Metal vocals.

By Martin on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Dominion Caligula? No, I've never heard of them. I'll look for their album, I'm always interested in hearing new things. I can always enjoy quality Black Metal.

Scandinavians have always given me the impression of having atheistic tendencies. I'm suprised the church was ever popular in those countries.

I wish America weren't so controlled by religion. We always make a point that the church is separate from our government, but that's just a bad joke because religion influences almost all the decisions our government makes. Its sick to see how many of our laws are based on nonsense religious dogma. Our country is full opportunity, but its also full of repression because they don't want us to take advantage of the opportunity we have. They give us freedom, but convince us not to use it.

-Martin

By Dengar on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Pataphysician: No problem. I know about the stereotype, just didnít know if it was that that you were afterÖ Actually I didnít know that the stereotype thing was that well known.

Anyway! Is it true? I donít know. Once in a while we hear statistics that we are more depressed than other people. If it has to do with the long winters or the fact that the most common form of living here in Sweden is the single-household I donít know.

Iíve also heard before that we are into Death Metal because weíre so depressed. But although we have many of those kinds of bands here Death Metal is nothing that the average Swede would consider listening to for one second.

When it comes to the Christian vs Norse thing I can only comment on the situation in Sweden. Christianity has been loosing its grip here the last 50 years. Every year the attendance in the churches is dropping. However, the biggest enemy is not the Norse cult, its atheism. Compared to other countries in Europe the church has very little influence over people here. There will always be some who take up the Norse thing because itís part of our heritage. But again, itís nothing that the average Swede cares much about. The church used to try to repress the Norse thing but today the church is more concerned about its own survival.

Martin, by the way: Have you heard Dominion Caligula? I love Ďem! Itís great Swedish Black Metal. Some of the members of Dark Funeral are involvedÖ

By Martin on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 10:52 am: Edit

I'm not into Death/Black metal as much as I used to be, but I still have my favorites and every once in awhile I hear something new that I like.

Yeah, I have noticed many of these bands are from Scandinavia. Maybe it's because of the long, dark winters?

Varg Vikernes, a Black Metal musician from Norway, has said that his music is a reaction to the repression of the old Viking traditions in his country. Apparently, the Christian church is a big thing in Norway, and its against the traditional Norwegian religions and myths. Many young people like Varg see this as repression of their culture, so they are fighting against it. Black Metal music represents their old culture that they want to regain.

So, cultural repression might be another reason why these kinds of music are so popular in Scandinavia. Is it like that in Sweden? I've noticed the whole anti-Christian Black Metal thing seems to be more popular in Norway, but I know it did have many of its roots in Sweden with groups like Bathory.

I'm part Norwegian myself, and I've always found Scandinavian culture fascinating. I've been thinking about learning some of the languages.

-Martin

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 06:36 am: Edit

Sorry about that Dengar. Where I come from there are lots of folks of Scandinavian descent (in my family, even). There's a stereotype of Swedes and Norwegians being dour, pessimistic and death-obsessed. Think Ingmar Bergman. The popularity of Death Metal would seem natural. I was poking fun at the stereotype.

By Dengar on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 04:05 am: Edit

Ok Pataphysician; you've just managed to make me feel like an idiot! What did I say that was so funny?

%-)

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:09 am: Edit

"Are you much into Death/Black Metal. Don't know why, but Scandinavia has a lot of these kind of bands."

HaHaHaHa! Heh Heh! HoHo! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Whew, that's a good one, Dengar!!

By Dengar on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 05:09 am: Edit

Martin: Are you much into Death/Black Metal. Don't know why, but Scandinavia has a lot of these kind of bands.Actually, I used to work with the singer in Entombeds girlfriend! That must make me...ehh...som kind of celebrity. ;-)

Pikkle: I live in Stockholm. I guess Staffanstorp isn't the hottest spot in the country...

By Pikkle on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:12 am: Edit

Dengar... what part of Sweden are you from? I
was there a few years back... stayed near
MalmŲ, in Staffanstorp with some friends...
spent some time in Copenhagen too... will
probably go back at some point. Lovely
country but a little stiff until the weekends. I felt
really short there too...

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Sounds like my home...Alabama.

By Martin on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 10:50 am: Edit

Swedish bands I LOVE: At The Gates, Entombed, Drain STH, Meshugga.. that's all I can think of right now. Also, I must admit, I really like the first Cardigans album too.

I think Swedish bands have the best lyrics.

I've often thought about maybe moving somewhere in Scandinavia, maybe Sweden, maybe Norway.

-Martin

By Dengar on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 08:08 am: Edit

Sorry! I'm a Swede but I'm not the "right Swede" that you would like to befriend...

Martin: Just out of couriosity; what Swedish bands are you into?

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 07:26 am: Edit

Quote:

Make a friend of the right Swede.

Aren't there web-pages for that sort of thing...?

By Artemis on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 07:20 am: Edit

"Hmmmm.... how might one procure some of this bootleg Swedish absinthe?"

Make a friend of the right Swede.

By Martin on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 06:53 am: Edit

Hmmmm.... how might one procure some of this bootleg Swedish absinthe? It sounds very interesting indeed. If its as good as their vodka, I'm sure I'd love it. I wonder what their recipes are like?

Almost all my favorite music comes from Sweden, it would only be fair if my favorite absinthe came from there too.

-Martin

By Artemis on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 02:09 am: Edit

"If you want a decent absinthe here itís like everywhere else: Order it from SC!"

Some of the best absinthe in the world originates inside Sweden.

Admittedly, some of it tastes like it was made in an old coffee pot on an upside-down flatiron, but at least some of the moonshiners you mentioned are making strides - not all of them waste their effort on Vodka.

By Dengar on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 01:49 am: Edit

Most often on this forum you get to hear about the situation for absinthe in the US, UK, France and perhaps the Czech-republic. However, there are absinthe-drinkers in more countries. Iíd like to tell you about the situation in Sweden. Youíll probably never end up here, but maybe youíd like to know anyway?

In Sweden we have a state monopoly on alcohol. This means that every beverage with a higher alcohol contence that 3,5 % can only be sold in special stores. These stores are run by a company called Systembolaget, which is owned by the state. When confronted about if this system really belongs in 2100th century they turn it into a health issue. Actually this system isnít always as terrible and it may sound. Monopoly is usually synonymous with high prices. However this isnít really the case because Systembolaget is a non-profit company. Secondly, the state is under constant threat of the moon shining (something that is quite common, especially in the countryside).

As we are very influenced by British culture here we got the absinthe-boom about a year ago. Suddenly absinthe was the talk of the town and the flaming sugar-ritual was really hipÖ The boom faded quite fast however. At this time Systembolaget started selling Pere Kermann absinthe. Although bars can import pretty much what they want nearly everyone has Pere Kermann because itís by far the easiest absinth to get hold of. There are some exceptions but my estimation is that about 90 % of the bars that serves absinthe serves Pere Kermann.

The knowledge about how the serve absinth varies. Sometimes you get a spoon, sugar and water and sometimes you get it in a shot glass, to drink strait! Although the flaming sugar-ritual do exists itís not very common. This is probably because Hillís hasnít conquered the Swedish market.

Just recently Systembolaget has decided to start selling Trenet as well. You canít by it in the shops but you can order it from them. Weíll se if this fact has any impact on the bars here. Not that it really matters though, Pere Kermann and Trenet tastes about the same. Sadly this taste isnít very goodÖ If you want a decent absinthe here itís like everywhere else: Order it from SC!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation