Concerts/Shows: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Concerts/Shows: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
By Midas on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 01:59 am: Edit

I went and saw Rammstein the night before last. Big and german and fiery.
-Robert.

By Cheese on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

One of my most recent shows has to be one of the best also. Neil Young last August in Milwaukee WI. Music in Head tour. Great show, mostly stuff from Harvest Moon but I thought the show was almost better then him playing all electric with Crazy Horse.

By Phouka on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Morrigan -

Sorry for the long delay in replying!

Small world indeed!

Yes, that Echo concert was at the Fox Theatre.

I can't help you on any memories of what shows were at Harpo's , since I never went there. I lived in Ann Arbor, MI and shows small enough to hit Harpo's (like Black Flag in 1985) also made it to local Ann Arbor venues, so I saw them in A2.

So you were at that EN show too! I'd love to compare notes with you on what you remember of it.

By Absinthesque on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:40 am: Edit

i agree with marc on the sex pistols reunion, though i also saw them in boston, and they were way better. . .did roadrunner as an encore.
didn't see the clash at the palladium on that tour, i don't think, though i saw them at bond a year or so later. also saw them in the uk in summer of '78. it may be heresy to say this, but they always disappointed me live. . . i did see joe strummer at roseland about 2 years ago, and that was a great show.

i also should have added any number of johnny thunders/heartbreakers/gang war shows. . .if johnny wasn't too wasted. .. those were the days.

homesick james was a trip. . .i met someone at the club early just as he was showing up. he's like 93 and he walks alone into the bar and orders a double curvoisier. .. pretty damn spry for 93. played 2 killer sets, and i barely understood a word he said.

in terms of blues shows, i should have added robert jr. lockwood and johnny shines at Manhattan Community College in like 1989 or so. Neither knocked me out during there solo sets; Shines -- whose voice I love -- had suffered a stroke, and didn't seem to have much left, but they got together for a set of robert johnson material that was beyond words.

mark

By Admin on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:31 am: Edit

I had the thrill of seeing Joe Strummer front one of the Pogues shows I saw, when Shane MacGowan went into detox, all of a sudden like. For someone who missed seeing the Clash, that was a real treat! The Pogues definately put on one of the best shows, the only place where you can see an accordian player jamming like he's Pete Townsend.

One of the tightest shows I ever done saw were the Stranglers tho, I waited for years to see them as they didn't tour the states for about 8 years during the eighties.

And of my catalogue below the best shows were prolly the two above, Tom Waits, The Butthole Surfers, The Church etc.

The Worst? Heh. Peter Murphy, at that time he was touring with an awful studio band that all looked like members of Huey Lewis and sounded like Genesis. And the Pop O Pies, who played one song, very badly, for 45 minutes and in the middle of which the singer woofed it on stage.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 01:27 am: Edit

"umm, the buzzcocks reunion tour musta been before 1991 though, because i saw them sometime in this period"

Yeah, they had a lot of reunions. I guess at some point we should stop calling them reunions. I think their first one was 1988. That's probably when you saw them. I saw them in 1992, I think. Man, they were playin' like it was 1977, though.

Speaking of which, if you ever see Joe Strummer, if you squint your eyes when they play the old numbers (of which there were many) you'd swear you were listening to The Clash. Some of these old guys just never lose it.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 12:03 am: Edit

Morriganlefey

Where in Michigan did you grow up?

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 05:08 pm: Edit

LOL. "Echo and the BM." That about sums up that band.

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Phouka -

I grew up in Michigan and saw many of the same shows you did (ahh..Graystone Hall - Now THERE'S a memory!!) I also saw the '86 Einsturzende show, plus Echo & the BM (at the Fox Theatre, I believe?), Dead Kennedys and Black Flag in '85 both at Harpo's (I think?). Oh, and DCD at the Vic in Chicago (where I moved in '91). Love 'em, still my favorite band today.

Ever go to City Club when it was still Leidernacht?!

Small world,
- Morrigan

By Martin on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 11:49 am: Edit

I have friends that went to that NIN/Perfect Circle show in NOLA. I saw the same show in Indianapolis. It counts as being one of the best (NIN) and worst (Perfect Circle) shows I've ever seen. The production value of NIN did for that tour was incredible. Those giant LCD panels are about the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Perfect Circle on the other hand.... what a pathetic joke! Thanks alot Maynard.... thanks for ruining Tool for me. They were seriously one of the worst live acts I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Someone should fucking kill Maynard for what he's doing now. He's cheapening Tool and ruining it for all us (former) Tool fans out there.

I think the best show I've ever been to as far as all-round enjoyment is concerned was Gorguts/Cryptopsy at some small bar in Chicago. Those are two of the tightest bands I've ever seen perform. Lots of fun... good crowd.

-Martin

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

If I could afford it, I'd fly to England to see Beth Orton at King's College on the 25th. Sorry Marc, but I think you should have written "She WAS an angel with techno wings." I think she has since shed them, as the pattern in both studio and live recordings I've heard sees her moving more toward the traditional folk set up of just plain ol' Beth and her acoustic guitar. In general, I think this is a good thing, as her voice and her songs are the important parts. I know this is much to the dismay of x-heads, but not me. From the evidence that's starting to surface about the long term effects of MDMA, I think they have more pressing concerns anyway... like trying to piece together enough mental acuity to stay employed.

K.

By Phouka on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 09:47 am: Edit

OK, at the moment I'm not feeling up to actually typing in all of the concerts that i went to and really enjoyed since the first non-classical concert that i went to back in High School
Laurie Anderson (1984) (ann arbor, mi)

a few other highlights from the years 1985 - 1986 though would be:
Billy Bragg (ann arbor)
Black Flag (ann arbor)
Violent Femmes (kalamazoo, mi)
Husker Du (kalamazoo, mi)
Fishbone (kalamazoo, mi)
Naked Raygun (grand rapids, mi)
echo and the bunnymen (detroit, mi)
pschyedelic furs (a2, mi)
new order (detroit, mi)
the minute men (a2, mi 1986)

Einsturzende Neubauten (Detroit, MI - Greystone Hall, 1986)

the Jazz Butcher Conspiracy (blind Pig, ann arbor, mi 1986)

ummm and probably some others that my poor old brain just can't recall at the moment

then in the years 1987-1991 (before i moved to madison, wi ) i went to a good number of shows and i'm sure i'll forget a lot of them
(most of these shows were either in detroit, mi or ann arbor, mi)
umm, the buzzcocks reunion tour musta been before 1991 though, because i saw them sometime in this period
saw nick cave and the bad seeds on the tender prey tour,
umm, what else?
love and rockets
peter murphy
agrumph
ministry
revolting cocks
young gods
swans
sonic youth
special beat
robyn hitchcock
legendary pink dots (toledo, oh)
psychic tv (detroit, mi and toronto,ontario,canada)
my life with the thrill kill cult
(toronto, because we happened to be visiting toronto the week they played there and the following tour we saw 'em in detroit, well becasue we lived in ann arbor, so we saw a lot of shows in detroit)
zoviet france (detroit, mi - in this place called "the bank" becasue the building had previously been a bank)
my mind is wandering... i'm sure there are others that i just can't recall right now...

1991-1999
nick cave and the bad seeds (chicago - the vic)
einsturzende neubauten (chicago - the vic)
(with opening act:)
frontline assembly
(and unannounced surprise opening act....)
legendary pink dots (!!! that was a cool triple bill )
dead can dance (chicago - the vic)
Boiled in Lead (chicago, when Todd Menton was still the vocalist)
Boiled in Lead (madison, wi - repeatedly, after Adam Stemple had taken over as vocalist)
Reptile Palace Orchestra ( a wonderful local band who do funked up, rocked up versions of Balkan dance tunes and Balkan danced up versions of rock /funk tunes and some damn good originals as well)
(i have been heard to proclaim that my 2 favorite bands in the whole world are
Reptile Palace Orchestra
and
Einsturzende Neubauten)
legendary pink dots (o'cayz, madison, wi)
loads of other bands at o'cayz
loads of good bands at club de wash
(both now of fond memory - both clubs have burned down in the years since i've lived in Madison. o'cayz just burned new years morning )

einsturzende neubauten (milwaukee, wi 1998)

umm yeah, let see, my memory is going...
how about i just skip ahead to 2000, which was a very good year for me concert wise
in january, i went , as i always do to the Folk Ball (several good folk dance bands, including the RPO) i don't recall if i saw any other shows before april

the year really got going on April 1

Einsturzende Neubauten (20th anniversary concert in Berlin)

April continued to be a good month...
Jazz Butcher Conspiracy (Madison, WI)
(so 2 bands that i first saw live in 1986, and within a couple weeks of each other)
still in April...
Negativland
the Dirty Three (while just about everyone else was at the NIN show, silly them...)

then the rest of the year continued to be a good one...

Polymorphous Perverse (local band, saw hem 2x )
Legendary Pink Dots
the Skatalites
Reptile Palace Orchestra a couple more times (they are local after all)
the Flash Girls (st paul, mn)
Einsturzende Neubauten (3x - chicago and both NYC shows)
VNV Nation/Apoptygma Berzerk (chicago )
Saturnalia II (chicago, il "goth fest" - 4 bands, and dj's in a differnt room)
the first 2 bands weren't interesting enough (to me) for me to freeze my ass off in the underheated tent they performed in for their entire sets, so i dunno that i'll count them as concerts attended, though i did listen to some of each band, but the other 2 bands I was interested in. They both put on very good shows despite the poor playing conditions they were:
Stromkern
and
Inkubus Sukkubus (well worth waiting until sometime after 2 AM and freezing my butt off to see their only US appearance of 2000)
My final concert of 2000 was
Calexico (o'cayz corral, just 2 days before it burned down)

I don't know whether my 2001 will live up to the quality of my 2000, but the folk ball is just a couple of weekends away, and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds will have a new album out and be touring so....
(now if I can only figure out how to afford to get to Germany at the right time to see Meret
Becker perform live at the Kurt Weill fest she's taking part in...)

By Admin on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 07:31 am: Edit

Yay, I love threads that give free reign to posturing. Ok, since I've barely seen any concerts since '90 that weren't repeats of earlier shows, here's my nearly complete list of the 80's (many of these I saw over and over):

1982 - 1985

The Ramones <- first concert in '82! And many, many shows thereafter
The Police
David Bowie
Siouxsie
Nina Hagen
Oingo Boingo
The Mutants
Shriekback
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Killer Pussy
Primus
Adam Ant
Billy Idol
Echo & The Bunnymen
Gene Loves Jezebel
The Church
Lene Lovich
Many Random Punk Shows
Dead Kennedys
Faith No More
Fear
Agent Orange
PIL
Suicidal Tendencies
Flipper
Cocteau Twins
Specimen
Pop O Pies
The Untouchables

1986 - 1990
Love & Rockets
Robyn Hitchcock
The Stranglers
The Pogues
Bongwater
Butthole Surfers
The Cramps
The Cure
The Woodentops
Nick Cave
Tom Waits (was at the Warfield show that the film "BigTime" was filmed)
Redd Kross
Sugar Cubes
Pylon
Hugo Largo
Throwing Muses
Wire
The Ophelias
The Damned
Dead Can Dance
The Pixies
That Petrol Emotion
The Beatnigs
Voice of the Beehive
Wolfgang Press
Peter Murphy

By Treeman5 on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 03:50 am: Edit

OINGO BOINGO's last concert ever Halloween 95 at the Universal Amphitheatre, without a doubt the BEST show I've ever seen. I bought the cd release and the video of the show when it came out, hoping to see myself somewhere in the crowd..Anywone else catch this show?? Fantastic display of showmanship...Mad Props going out to Danny Elfman, Steve Bartek, John Avila, and the rest of the band..Funny thing I noticed, they had Warren Fitzpatrick on guitar(The VANDALS)I saw them play the TUNE IN in New Haven earlier that same year..My girlfriend grabbed his nuts and pushed me into the pit at that show, ouch remove your knee from my spine, thankyou!

Carlos Santana
Pink Floyd- absolute perfection (Gilmour rules)
95 tour Grateful Dead- we miss ya Jerry
Nirvana Jan/90 Tacoma
Mother Love Bone/ Seattle (Pearl Jam b.e.)
Janes Addiction
Charlie Daniels Band at The Palace in New Haven
Jethro Tull last summer in CT
Black Crowes/Aerosmith in CT
Gun's n Roses- New Haven CT I must say this was my worst show ever, music was great but my wife tried to ditch me and get backstage..BITCH
Vandals -New Haven
Eye Above All- Toad's Place New Haven
now I'm jsut waitin for the concert season to come around again..peace Matt

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:22 am: Edit

Homesick James!!!!! Whooohooo!!

Never expected to hear that name again. Years ago a friend played me one of his albums and it was hilariously fantastic. I'll bet he's great live.

By Absinthesque on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:16 am: Edit

oops...patti smith was december of '75. .

By Absinthesque on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Best
Jefferson Airplane - Capitol Theatre '70 (I was in 5th grade)
The Who - Madison Square Garden '74
Bob Marley and the Wailers -- Beacon Theater '76
Patti Smith - Bottom Line '76
Johnny Blitz Benefit - CBGB '77
David Johansen New Year's Show -Academy of Music '78
Sham '69 -- Southampton, UK '78.
Big Mama Thornton - Folk City '82
Debbie Harry at Joey Ramone's XMAS show - Tramps '96. .. I think
Homesick James -- Chicago Blues -'98

Don't get out much anymore.

Mark

By Tavis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 09:31 pm: Edit

I was forgetting Blur, '96 or '97 in Madrid. My girlfriend wasn't so keen, but they really put on a brilliant show. Others of note are The Charlatans and Gene, I've seen both a few times each. These are two very tight bands, flawless performances but not too much energy. I wonder what happened to Gene? Anybody outside the UK heard much of them?

Tav

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Oops, sorry, K. Anyway, I guess I haven't heard MV as much as you have, but don't you detect a difference in his voice from say, Nighthawks, to how it sounds on something even as long ago as as Frank's or latter stuff like Black Rider?

The raspy gravelly thing used to be just part of his range, and now it seems to be the bulk of his range. But a studio album affords him a much different setting than live preformances. He can record one vocal track per week or month and sound great.

I thought the demographics of the crowd was interesting. I'd say the average education level in that room was bachelors plus a little grad work.

BC

By Marc on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:37 pm: Edit

yeah, Black Crowes really are poseurs. Rod Stewart
and the Faces wannabes.

Another great punk show:
78 (I think) at CBGB's
Poly Styrene And X Ray Spex.
She was about 15 years old and the sax player even younger. They were terrific. "Oh , bondage up yours!"

Around the same time

Madness at Hurrah's, NYC

Elvis Costello, Bottom Line NYC

Ian Dury, Bottom Line NYC

Adam And The Ants, Palladium NYC

Mink DeVille, Trax, NYC

The Damned, CBGB's NYC

The Undertones, Trax NYC

The Stranglers, Orpheum NYC

and the following: The Cramps, Simple Minds,
The Selector, The Members, Joe Jackson, The Only Ones, Orchestral Maneuvers, Patti Smith, Birthday Party (management pulled the plug on them at two shows for inciting violence)....

78-79 was a great couple of years for rock in NYC. The above list is just a fraction of the bands I saw during those years. I was going to CBGB's, Max's, Peppermint Lounge, Danceteria, Hurrah's...some club every night. I remember a triple bill at CB's featuring The Ramones, The Cramps and The Damned. Very fucking good years.

By _blackjack_ on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:37 pm: Edit

I missed Waits on his last tour. I was going to go up to NYC to catch him, but the show sold out before I got tickets.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Bob,

It was me who saw Waits in Chicago, and I completely disagree. When he sings on tape he has plenty of time to rest and let what is left of nuance between his screech and his whisper to emerge. In concert, I percieved his voice as a flat binary: screech or whisper. His voice was no where near as rich as it was on even the Mule Variations. It was sad. Perhaps you haven't listened to the studio versions of these songs approximately one million times each...

K.

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Daed, I've heard a CD of that SXSW Waits show--you're right, it was great.

Artemis, I was at that Chicago Waits show, and yes, despite the idiots in the crowd, I thought it was amazing. I'm 99% certain that what you (we) heard is Waits' voice as it is all the time now. It has sounded like that for many years. He basically blew the thing out a while back, AFAIK.

Anyway, best show I've ever seen? George Clinton (and the Parliament/Funkadelic/P-Funk All Stars). Nothing has ever come even close. And I've seen quite a variety (as has everyone else here). See him. Don't miss the opportunity.

Worst show ever? The Crack Blowes. I mean Black Crowes. What a bunch of talentless junkie Stones wanna-be's. Fortunately, I saw Ziggy Marley and Blues Traveler before the BC's came out and stunk the place up.

BC

By Pataphysician on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Marc

Your memory's pretty damn good. I checked: The Clash's New York show on the first tour WAS at the Palladium, February 17th, 1979. And they DID open with "I'm So Bored". And the show clocked in at 80 minutes.

Supposedly Robert DeNiro, Warhol and Springsteen were there to see 'em, too.

By Marc on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 12:47 pm: Edit

pata,

You say The Clash first USA tour was in '79. Well, then that's when I saw them. And it definitely was at
The Palladium. Thanks for correcting the date year for me. The memory is the first thing to go.

By Black_rabbit on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

The goat seemed satisfied.

By Imaldris on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 11:02 am: Edit

Oh, and Black Rabbit, I was at that same show (Hershey Park, right?) with NIN and Bowie and I thought NIN was ok but that Bowie blew goats balls. He was awful!

By Imaldris on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 10:59 am: Edit

Metallica, Megadeath, Gwar...tons of eighties hair bands including (although I am ashamed to admit this...Slaughter.) Saw Metallica three times and they were my favorite band until they became commercial three-minute song-spewing corporate zombies. Sevendust was great...got to hang out with LeJohn while he got a tatoo. Also have see Morphine, Cibo Matto, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Thrill Kill Kult, The Creatures, Grateful Dead, The Cult, Lallaplooza and some more that aren't worth mentioning. Left Lallapalooza early because we couldnt get anywhere near the stage. But my absolute favorite show of all time was Les Paul with Chet Atkins, two amazing guitar players who were way ahead of their time. Les Paul was like, eighty, and put all of the young players like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai to shame.

Don Walsh....if you pop in here I just want to say "thanks" for your kind greeting in the Ladies Welcome thread!

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 07:43 am: Edit

I was lucky enogh to see TOM during the Rain Dogs tour. Great show. Funny thing was I saw a friend there who I hadn't seen in ages. He was sitting in the row in front of me. All he did was turn around, smile and say "Thanks for turning me onto Tom, man!"

I think he'd done that last tab of acid he was saving.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 07:40 am: Edit

I saw Tom Waits in Chicago last year and I was very disappointed. I think it would be best to catch him on a one-off or at the beginning of a tour -- his voice was roasted. All the people in the crowd ostentatiously laughing and cheering at his every action to prove how cool they were was very distracting.

The best show I've seen in Madison recently was Neko Case and Her Boyfriends. Lord, can that woman sing. Her voice was like some raw, elemental power coming from everywhere -- I forgot there were amplifiers. I'm going to see her again in Chicago in 2 weeks.

The best show I've ever seen in Madison was the Supersuckers, about 2 years ago at the now-burned-down O'Cayz corral. Loud, crude, funny, campy stage antics... I climbed up on a bench and the entire bar looked like an undulating field of grain. This would be followed by Lucinda Williams at the Orpheum.

Best show I've seen in Chicago was Ryan Adams, solo at Schuba's. Very quiet, very intense.

K.

By Uncle_willie on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 07:07 am: Edit

Worst concert of all time:
Dio opened for Aero Smith at the Ventura Fairgrounds -- 1984? Tickets were free since my sister worked at the hotel they stayed at and they were breaking lots of stuff. Dio was a wall of distorted guitar -- could not bear it. Then Aero Smith got on for all of 15 minutes before they kicked them out. That singer guy was kicking his band mates and equipment off stage. Glad I didn't pay for that!

Best show: The Residents: A History of American Music at the Japan-America Theater in LA 1991? It was the most surreal performance artsy concert ever. These guys are different -- check them out!

Ok, now for some fun:
The Mentors (before El Duce died)
Screaming Jay Hawkins (fun!)
Ravi Shankar (unbelievable)
NIN (better on the bowie tour than last year)

Ah well, most of the others have already been mentioned...

By Pataphysician on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 06:24 am: Edit

Artemis:

Elvis Costello's tour with Squeeze was 1981, the "English Mugs Tour". I saw him in Minneapolis on that tour, too. He was really good then, but those 1977-1978 shows are truly phenomenal.

By Black_rabbit on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 06:01 am: Edit

Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Old school syntheiser keyboardy stuff. Like Rush, without the personality. They can play, but I just don't like the music. The members of the band reportedly hate each other so much, they stay in seperate hotels.

By Artemis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 05:55 am: Edit

Pataphysician:

"Wish I had been at: Elvis Costello - San Francisco 1978"

That might have been the year I saw him in NOLA, on the same bill as Squeeze. It was definitely around that time.

Rabbit:

"squeaking ... iike some overgrown fruitbat with pigtails"

LOL

"I hate ELP"

What is ELP?

"ear damage"

Foreigner did that to me and I was seated in the loge.

By Pataphysician on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 05:51 am: Edit

Marc:

The Clash didn't play the US in 1978. Their first US tour was Feb 1979. They played one show in NYC on the 17th, but I don't know if it was the Palladium. They did open with "I'm so Bored" and played only from the first two albums.

On their second tour The Clash did play two shows at the Palladium: Sept 20 and Sept 21, 1979. For both shows they opened with "Safe European Home" and played "I'm So Bored" as the second number. They also played a lot of stuff from the upcoming "London Calling" album. The photo for the cover of "London Calling" came from the show on the 21st.

There are tapes of each of those shows floating around. The show on the 21st was broadcast on the radio and is their most widely available bootleg.

And that's "Today in Rock'n'Roll History".

By Black_rabbit on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 05:42 am: Edit

George Thorogood (sp?) and the destroyers, early 90s I think

Jethro Tull a couple years back- wow!(with ELP opening, the keyboard guys- at one point, one of them had tipped the damn thing over on himself on purpose and was playing from under it. I hate ELP, but that was kinda cool.)

Pink Floyd- ooooh, look at the pretty lights....

NIN and David Bowie- (when Bowie released Outside.) fooking brilliant show. So many teenie boppers left when bowie came on, the fools! He did a duet with Reznor on 'hurt' that I will never forget.

Radiohead- they were opening for Alanis Morissette. I elected to sit through Alanis Morisette for them. THEY SUCKED LIVE. And then Alanis came out, and I got physically stuck, couldn't move, with a twelve year old girl (standing on her knapsack) about a foot from my ears, singing (squeaking?) at the top of her lungs the whole time like some overgrown fruitbat with pigtails. I took more ear damage then than when I got stuck beside the stack at the Ramones. Worst show I've been to.

The Ramones

Cibo Matto

The Creatures (once in Boston with John Cale- hell of a show! Heartbreak hotel blew me away.) Once at the 9:30 in DC.

The Sisters Of Mercy- great show, but so much smoke from the smoke machines I couldnt see my beer!

The Cure in Long Island- the stage was sticking out into the ocean, and the sun was setting behind the band... beautiful.

Thrill Kill Kult (with Meg Lee Chin opening- the same bassist played for both, and wore a pink glam metal wig to disguise himself.) Both bands kicked a great deal of ass, but TKK was too short (singers voice was giving out.)

I know there were more... but the drugs have addled my brain and I can't remember em right now.

By Marc on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 05:00 am: Edit

best show ever:

THE CLASH 1978 at the Palladium, NYC

This was their first American tour. Alot of us were skeptical as to whether these punkers could actually pull off a live show in a big room (3000
capacity). They hit the stage, ripped into "I'm So Bored With The USA" and tore the roof off the place. It was 90 minutes of sustained raw power unlike anything I'd seen or seen since. The Clash ruled.

By Pikkle on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:50 am: Edit

Yeah, that guy, he's a musician too!

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:47 am: Edit

John Bonham is dead
John Paul Jones sleepy head

By Pikkle on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:45 am: Edit

And what was John Bonham doing there
then? Has he switched genres? It's all
performance art anyway, musical or
otherwise. And don't give me that classical
interpretation crap either.

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:36 am: Edit

Dear Dear Pikkle,

Diamanda is a perfomance artist more than a musician or vocalist. So eating one's own puke would just be another value added response to her performance. In effect you too become the "Art".

By Dengar on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:27 am: Edit

Well, everybody who's checked out my picture has probably realized I'm a huge KISS fan! I've seen them on a couple of occations but the one that really stands out is the first gig in Stockholm on the reunion tour.

I saw AC/DC this winter, which was fun. Black Sabbath last year was amazing.

By Pikkle on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:08 am: Edit

The best: NONE (I used to work live sound)
Seeing Nirvana at the Blind Pig was pretty cool
and the Reverand Horton Heat is always fun.

The worst: Diamonda Galas... made eating
your own vomit seem like a more entertaining
option. It was another show I was stuck
working. When it comes down to it, live music
is a bad deal... the acoustics in most rooms
are bad, the house p.a's at a lot of places suck
and even a lot of musicians aren't that great
without a couple hundred thousand watts of
amps and two walls of effects racks. I'll take a
cd anyday.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 03:19 am: Edit

Maybe not "never....but never see any band for 50 bucks. My opera tickets for good seats were only like 45 or so (one of the few good things about MS, they have to charge a very small fee for classical pieces, or the general public will never come).

A Square? For whatever reason I can see you on a Hog with a leather jacket, greased hair (little sprig hanging in your face), with a bull-dog in a WWI spiked hemlet riding the sidecar when I read that.

You're so dreamy!

By Pataphysician on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:44 am: Edit

Most memorable shows:

The Abyssinians - 1998
Hands-down the greatest music performance of any genre I've ever seen or likely to ever see. A reunion of the best 1970s reggae vocal trio. The harmony singing was perfect and almost frightening in its intensity, and the band played like dancehall never happened. Tickets were $8. Only about 30 people came to the show.

Bob Dylan - Duluth 1999
A very close second.
... and in no particular order:

The Birthday Party (Nick Cave) - 1982

Lee Scratch Perry - 1998, twice in 1999

The Clash - 1982 (by default, I missed their earlier tours)

Husker Du - Macalester College dance 1979

Neil Young - 1978

DJ Spooky - live soundtrack for screening of Harry Smith films, 1998?

Prince - 1988

Buzzcocks - reunion 1992?

Tricky - 1998?

Negativland - 2000

Joe Strummer - 2000

Bruce Springsteen - 1980, 1999 (Corny, yes, but the man DOES put on one hell of a show)

Actually, most live shows I hear now are on bootleg, of which I've collected about 500 in the last 20 years. Wish I had been at:

The Clash - London 12/28/78, Geary Temple S.F. 1979
Sex Pistols - too many to choose, all great (except the reunion)
Elvis Costello - San Francisco 1978
Bob Dylan - any 1966
The Stooges - anytime, anywhere
The Wailers - UK tour 1973
King Tubby Sound System - Jamaica 1975

By Fluid on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:42 am: Edit

Dead: 40+ shows '85-'94
Blues Traveler: 20+ shows '90-'99
Phish: 40+ shows '92-'00
Moe: 20+ shows '94-'01
The Who, Stones, JGB, Dylan, God Street Wine, String Cheese Incident, Leftover Salmon, Black Crowes, yadda yadda yadda

Notable shows:
Blues Traveler @ Chestnut Cabaret Philly '90. Played Alone->Sweet Talking Hippie over 60 minutes long... the jam was absolutely amazing.
Moe @ Wetlands NYC NYE '95 played 45 min Lovelight at 4am (show was 10pm-7am). Saw Phish prior @ MSG... great opening act ;-)
Saw Phish play Also Sprach Zarusthra (2001 theme) several times '93... best way to open a show
Moe Halloween '00, played Dark Side of Moon w/ Wizard of Oz on monitors... synchronicities were outrageous, very fun!

Oh jeeez, I'm getting too old for this...

By Artemis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 01:13 am: Edit

And Leo Kottke. Best 12-string guitar player that ever drew breath. Somebody mentioned Neil Young sounding like two guitar players, which he does, because of his playing style, but he sounds like two bare-bones guitar players. Leo Kottke sounds like a fucking orchestra.

By Artemis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 01:09 am: Edit

I forgot Word Bongo. Unsigned Chicago band. I saw them at a beer festival in Chicago. Jack Kerouac meets Chicago Transit Authority. Very impressive band.

By Artemis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 01:06 am: Edit

I'm not going to give dates because the names of the bands will put me almost with Grandpa Simpson anyway. All of the shows were in/around NOLA with the exception of Dred Zeppelin, which was in Omaha:

Dred Zeppelin
Jimmy Buffet
Jerry Jeff Walker
Emmy Lou Harris
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Marshall Tucker Band
New Riders of the Purple Sage
Cristopher Cross
Heart
Deep Purple
Foreigner
John Sebastian
Eagles (w/ Joe Walsh)
Van Halen
ZZ Top
J Geils (Lynyrd Skynyrd failed to show for the ZZ Top and J Geils show, so the boys from Texas filled in by playing a double set - it should be noted that a lot of these shows were noon to midnight affairs with lots of bands on the bill)
Elvis Costello
Squeeze
Devo
Frank Zappa
Styx
Eddy Money
Whoever was at the Jazz Festival when I was there, Zachary Richard the most memorable
Jethro Tull
Richard Pryor (funniest man alive)

Christopher Cross was booed off the stage and deserved it. All the rest were good to very good.
Standouts: Dred Zeppelin, Devo, Squeeze
Frank Zappa was magnificent as always, but played a jazzy set not to my preference.

Jethro Tull, on a rainy Autumn night in the old Municipal Auditorium, had all the effects Nephilim described and then some. It was the "Songs from the Woods" tour, but they played almost the entire "Thick as a Brick" suite. I left out of there as limp as a dish rag. Far and away the most polished, professional musicians I have ever seen.

Oh, and I had tickets to Led Zeppelin in the Superdome, but they cancelled because Robert Plant's son died. They never played in the U.S. again. Just as well because it seems all their live shows sucked anyway.

Band I most regret NOT seeing - Talking Heads.

By Tcsmit on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Here's a few that I've been to.

Primus/Rush about 1991 in Atlanta
Paul McCartney in Atlanta on New World Tour
Candlebox/Rush on Counterparts Tour
and my favorite
Roger McGuinn and Jethro Tull.

By Eric on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

the last big show I went to was in 94, here are some of the most memorable.

the rolling stones-chicago 1975
pink floyd-chicago 1977,new york 1980
neil young-rust never sleeps tour 1978
tom waits-chicago 1978
john lee hooker-solo performance univ of notre dame 1978
muddy waters- several club and concert shows 70s and 80s all were excellent
the plasmatics-chicago early 80s
the clash-chicago 1982
andres segovia-orchestra hall chicago 1979
the chicagofest 1983- saw jerry lee lewis, stevie ray vaughan, and dizzy gillespie all in the same day
gary karr w/the south bend symphony 1982
the cult-electric tour 1987
elvis costello-solo performance northwestern univ 1988
milt hinton-chicago 1990 (milt just passed away last month, he was fantastic)
eddie "cleanhead" vinson- two shows during the 80s both were great

By Marc on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Justin,

you're too young to say never. Don't be such a square.

By Midas on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 07:49 pm: Edit

In no paticular order:
Madonna. Twice. (Girlie Show Tour)
Tori Amos (Under The Pink Tour)
Dead or Alive
Eurythmics
The Creatures
Alanis Morrisette
Marilyn Manson. Twice.
NIN. Three times.
Rosetta Stone (their final concert)
Phillip Glass
Laurie Anderson
Die Laughing
Faith and the Muse
etc etc etc.

The best concert I'd attended used to be Tori, but then I saw Siouxsie, and I'm afraid the Creatures won hands down.
-Robert.

By Tavis on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 06:38 pm: Edit

As for upcoming concerts, I'm hoping to see Jordi Savall's Epiphany concert (Jan 6th) in Madrid next year. My girlfriend's mum can hopefully wangle us some free tickets.

I can recommend Sr Savall's work to anybody who likes 'old music', he is a master of the viole though apparently purists say he plays with too much feeling to be authentic.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Saw my once and only concert last year..it was NIN in New Orleans with A Perfect Circle. I hated it. I love NIN, the Fragile was a work of art aside from the prevelant ABABAB rhyme scheme. I have grown to really like APC.

I have confirmed what I knew all along. I totally abhor live music. Excepting Classical (even that must be pre-romantic for me to enjoy it, but I can tolerate most stuff till after Gerschwin). I saw Faust (very nice, although I despise French Opera), and heard Rachmaninov's 2nd and 3rd piano concerto here in town...it was utterly wonderful.

Would I see another live concert...no way.

By Tavis on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Best shows: Pulp at Glastonbury 1995, Spear of Destiny in Cardiff 1985, Manic Street Preachers in Madrid 1999.

It was an ideal opportunity to see the Manics in a smaller club (less than 2000).

By Lowlight on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Best show ever: Blue Man Group.

I won't even attempt to describe them though. If you leave within a 1 day drive of Vegas, Boston, Chicago or New York, make the trip, ASAP.

Yes, it is that good :)

By Head_prosthesis on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

It was the Indigo Eyes Tour

By Head_prosthesis on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 03:57 pm: Edit

I don't know if he was sick or what. He looked and sounded terrible.

By The_nephilim on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 03:54 pm: Edit

really? Peter Murphy a bad show? Wow. Seen
him twice now (Deep tour and a couple of
months ago.) Wonderful shows.
--
the nephilim

By Head_prosthesis on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Best concert: Julie Cruise
Worst Concert: Peter Murphy

Lot's of good one's in between.

By The_nephilim on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Current 93
The first ever US shows. Held here in NYC on
Halloween and All Souls Day. Breath taking.
Moved to tears. The shows are availible on the
"All Dolled Up Like Christ" double CD release.
I WAS THERE!!!

Einsturzende Neubauten
Everytime i've seen them. 10 years ago in
London. And in NYC 3 years ago(2x) and last
year (2x).

Diamanda Galas
The Paradise in Boston about 8 years ago.
Chilling.

The Legendary Pink Dots
Anytime, everytime, 5 or 6 times now.

Jarboe (of the Swans)
At the Knitting Factory Winter 1998 (or 99?).
Never have I been moved by a live
performance like that. I was left fighting to
catch my breath, as if I were drowning as wave
after wave crashed into me, pushing beneath
the surface.

The Swans
Last ever NYC show at Irving Plaza.

Rasputina
Cello trio. Surreal. Stream of conciousness.
Vintage petticoats. Cleavage. Fabulous!!! Did I
mention that they opened for the Misfits one fo
the times I saw them? Neat.

The Creatures
Siouxsie never ceases to amaze me.

I've seen my share. And I wear a pleasant
smile for it.
--
the nephilim

By Daedelus on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Just got through the movies thread....

I saw the Cult on their Ceremony tour in '91. They were really a great band, but Ceremony was the end for the Cult as far as I am concerned. Do any of you Goth types out there remember the Southern Death Cult? It was the original incarnation of the Cult. Ian was very dracula/scary in those days. Very cool albums, but I must say they only kept getting better, until Ceremony. Electric was and still is a great album, not as good as Love, but not exactly an apples to apples comparison either.

daedelus

By Daedelus on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Last year I saw two of the BEST shows EVER.

I spent way too much money to see Neil Young, alone and acoustic. Just Neil, 12 guitars, an upright piano, and his very amazing Goth pump organ, and a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I swear to God it sounded like there were two people up there playing guitar. But it was only Neil. A few months ago I was flipping through channels and there was Neil on VH1. It was the exact show I saw. Simply sublime

I also saw Tom Waites at the Paramount Theater in Austin for SXSW. Me and my buddy waited in line for tickets and just barely sqeaked in by about four people. They only sold a few hundred seats, the rest was for "wristband-holders" and VIP's. I was maybe 20 feet from the stage. Tom told fabulous stories and played a lot from Mule Variations (pre-release) Filapina Box-Springs Hog had a great lead in story, and it absolutly rocked. But 16 shells stole the show.

It might just be a fine end to a concert going career that began with a Poison/ Briney Fox concert at the Corpus Christi Bayfront Auditorium. Ahh to be in jr. high in the Eighties glam-rock days again....

daedelus

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Bauhaus reunion a couple years ago. Fucking amazing. Saw Nick Cave a few days later. Amazing in a totally different way.

I caught Johnny Cash around '96 at the new 9:30 club. Probably the most interesting mix of people I've ever seen.

I remember seeing Ray Charlse with my mom at Wolftrap when I was in Jr. High. I don't think I've ever seen anyone enjoying their job more.

By Perruche_verte on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Don't go to many shows -- too busy with various projects of my own, but...

John Cale -- seen him live three times --
once with the David Soldier String Quartet and
B.J. Cole on pedal steel, once with a four-piece rock band (the Walking on Locusts tour -- that CD has its moments but some of it really drags), and once on tour with the Creatures. A much different, no less intense side of him each time.

By Melinelly on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 02:29 pm: Edit

my most memorable...

first Lollapalooza, 1991, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Mt. View, CA... i was 16. all just one big happy haze... got there while the Butthole Surfers were on, performers that followed: Ice T's metal band Body Count, Rollins' Band, Siouxie & the Banshees, perhaps my fondest memories were when Jane's Addiction broke into Three Days, and after the show when the lights came up and they blared Louis Armstrong singing What a Wonderful World. that was how the day was and how we felt afterwords. was blown away by the diversity and welcome feelings. too bad this venue went the way of adrenaline and popular angst culture in years to follow.

Day On the Green, 1991, Oakland Coliseum...
Body Count, Soundgarden, Queensryche, and Metallica. this was an awesome spectacle to behold, and i was on some real strong acid. i'd never seen so many metalheads in one place, and the outfield was a seething mass of flesh. there would be several mosh pits at once, opening and closing continuously, sometimes you could see duels going on: men fighting in the pits or racing across pits probably fifty meters wide to come crashing together, falling to the ground, and helping eachother up in triumph. not to mention, this was my first Metallica concert, and i cried when they played Fade to Black and Sanitarium =)

another great concert would be Bill Graham's memorial concert in Golden Gate Park... 300,000 people on the polo fields... Santana, Joe Satriani, the Grateful Dead... all day long musicians performed and people who couldn't make it phoned in and were broadcast. while the dead played, a DC10 flew overhead and dropped tons of red carnations over the crowd.

By Domingo on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 02:12 pm: Edit

This past year
The Cult (the Axis, Boston)
Primus w/ Incubus (same)
Cake (the Hatch Shell, Boston)
Carlos Santana (Greatwoods, Foxboro)
Cake (Lupos Heartbreak Hotel Providence, RI)
Great sound there

Ones I remember
Janes Addiction, Butthole Surfers, Ice-T at the first Lalapalooza

Heretix (all over Boston)
Social Distortion ( the Channel, Boston)
Red Hot Chili Peppers ( Reading Festival, England)
Young Neil and the Vipers
the Shods
Metallica
ac/dc
Pink Floyd
Scorpions
Stone Temple Pilots (at the Polish/American Beach Club in Gardener, MA)
Black Crowes

By Marc on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Half a dozen great ones (last 10 years):

Nick Cave 2 years ago at Irving Plaza NYC.
Fire and brimstone with a heavy backbeat.

Sex Pistols reunion tour. Roseland, NYC.
3 musicians, 1 singer. Better, louder and tighter than The Who.

RadioHead 2 years ago. Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC.
Who would have thought a handful of depressed Brits could create such an epic sound.

Neil Young, 9 years ago. Madison Square Garden.
Neil singing Blowing In The Wind as we were blowing up Iraq.

Beth Orton, 3 years ago. Westbeth Theater, NYC.
She's an angel with techno wings.

Tindersticks. Westbeth Theater, 4 years ago.
A shamelessy undervalued band. Roxy Music on heroin.

By Domingo on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

You can tell alot about a person by the music they listen to. You can tell a damn sight more by the shows they went to. Not only did they buy the album they bought the ticket.
List the shows you went to, good and bad and where for that matter.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation