Buyer Beware on E-bay

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Buyer Beware on E-bay
By Crosby on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 12:08 pm: Edit

"It says Bakelite Saucer, Bakelite wasn't manufactured until the 1930's so that's definately not BE"

The patent for Bakelite and the founding of the Bakelite corporation dates to around 1910. There is an interesting history at: http://www.deco-echoes.com/bakelite.html .

By Admin on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 01:02 pm: Edit

They look fine enough, if a bit rough around the edges. One clearly has price tag sticky on it. There's some pipes, losanges, fuilles (i think), and carres.

Nice cheap starter set, if you ask me. $5 to $10 a spoon in that state is pretty fair. Especially stateside.

By Fluid on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Anyone have an opinion on these spoons?

CUILLERES ABSINTHE LOT N°1   (opens in new window)

Seems like a good price at the opening bid, but no one is bidding...

Fluid

By Rupert1029 on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 06:17 pm: Edit

I have seen 2 Mari Mayans bottles up for auction in the last couple of weeks. Why ?

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 01:37 pm: Edit

yeah I had one a while back and gave it away as a gift. I don't like them...they are cheezy knock offs at best.

By Fluid on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 09:55 am: Edit

Thanks Justin,

I'll continue to keep an eye out. Have you tried the Muse Verte fountain?

Brian

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 09:17 am: Edit

Also there is another one of those fake absinthe fountains on e-bay again. THESE ARE NOT ABSINTHE FOUNTAINS! They are for Rum and/or Perfume. Don't spend more thatn 200 bucks on them...

Also just for the sake of repetition the Eiffel Tower and the Feuilles 10 are both fake! Else the bidding would be much higher by now :)

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 09:15 am: Edit

They look okay...a bit small but a good price none the less...

By Fluid on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 09:02 am: Edit

how about

3BELLE EPOQUE ABSINTHE *SWIRL GLASSES* (click for eBay link)

wish I had a clue myself, appreciate the opinion

fluid

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 08:42 am: Edit

E-bay is great for electronics...got a brand new TI-92 for like 50 bucks a few weeks ago..

I agree however...great deal and rip offs abound...the nature of the beast..

By Brspiritus on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 08:36 am: Edit

"I stay away from e-bay recently..."

E-Bay is like any Antique Store/Yard Sale that I've ever been in, you just have to know how to work it. It's best to stay away from the Really Popular stuff because the prices just blow up beyond reason, but I have gotten some good deals there. My whole Antique Kodak camera collection came from E-bay (well like 90% of it anyway) and I never paid book value for any of them.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 03:38 pm: Edit

That is right...those saucers are pretty easy to find. I have seen them offered for like 3-6 dollars per saucer..some marked some unmarked.

I stay away from e-bay recently...

By _blackjack_ on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Um, that Pernod Fils carafe that went for $152.50 looks an AWFUL lot like the modern reproduction I picked up on-line for $10. Some days I wish I wasn't honest...

Did you hear about the guy who sold a Playstation2 box (just the cardboard box, not the machine) on Ebay for like $400?

By Brspiritus on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 02:07 pm: Edit

It says Bakelite Saucer, Bakelite wasn't manufactured until the 1930's so that's definately not BE. I just won a nice auction for 3 Limoges Saucers. 2 of them the overprint on the price has worn off but nothing a little paint and a steady hand can't remedy :-)

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 12:14 pm: Edit

Nah they are being offered by another person named Roland....very similar however.

As for the items, the glass and spoon looks okay. Those saucers were used for everything and I have seen them in photos well into the 60's. That little bottle is just that...The "spoon Holder" if it is that, isn't traditional. The sugar dish doesn't look authentic either.

Bear in mind that many cafe items were universally used for all kinds of drinks, not just absinthe. The only glasses used on for absinthe were reservoir glasses like the Pontarlier glass (check out Ian's site, he seems to have a nice supply of them) For instance the saucers were used for everything...it is hard for me to beleive in the belle epoque a glass of absinthe was like 8 francs, entire bottles only costed 12 or so...but it is hard to say.

By Marcellin on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Hey Justin, how about these items on eBay? The Yvonne glass looks authentic. What do you think? I think these are offered by our old "friend" Patrick Jam from Luxembourg.

RARE VINTAGE ABSINTHE SET -VERY OLD- Item #542259403

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=542259403

p.

By Rupert1029 on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 12:02 pm: Edit

I saw those items...and was hesitant too.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 11:25 am: Edit

Man someone is going to get ripped a new one....

By Fluid on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

Is there some confusion here?

Compare: eBay Pernod Fils Bottle with eBay E. Pernod Couvet Bottle.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 12:15 am: Edit

This week E-bay has listed some not so authentic items thrown in with authentic ones. I have my doubts about two of the rarer spoons (Tour 2 and feuilles 10, since the seller admits that one is solid silver, this is usually a sign of a fake). The glasses in some Sets are reproductions from the Czech Republic, and notice that none of spoons are set atop the glasses. Why? Because they won't fit. There is also a set of six.

I wonder if E-bay can be contact over people selling false items.... I was duped into getting one of these glasses a while back.

Again, if you ever have doubts as to whether items are authentic just post here, Frenchman Phil, Peter, Oxygenee, and myself will give you our opinions...they may not be gospel but we try.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation