Legalize it!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Legalize it!
By Bob_chong on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:22 pm: Edit

"To them, cutter is just another dirty word. To me, it's just another thing I'll never get to do."

One of my all time favorite movies.

BC

By Head_prosthesis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:31 pm: Edit

I'm a "cutter".

No, not a "turd" cutter!

By Head_prosthesis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Fudgie! Tee hee.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 07:19 am: Edit

"I suppose it's semi-derogatory but it's better than being a 'townie' in my estimation."

Or a FIP (Fucking Illinois Person) which I've heard applied to just about everyone with Illinois license plates. The Michigan people like the dollars the FIPs bring, but (rightfully so) don't have much use for the arrogant attitude they often cop.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:49 am: Edit

Nothing like an armadillo to make a home
warm... yes, I did happen to be refering to
Saugatuck, bastion of Midwest gay vacation
pride... interesting little town. I've spent some
time in Holland myself, nothing there really
'cept a bunch of flowers and tourists. Beem
through St. Josephs and Benton Harbor
plenty... BTW, if anyone in a tourist town in
Michigan calls you a 'fudgie' it means just that,
you're a tourist. It's mostly from northern
Michigan where there seems to be a plethora
of fudge shops in every little town that has
some sort of yearly festival. I suppose it's
semi-derogatory but it's better than being a
'townie' in my estimation.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 12:59 am: Edit

"Actually, there are some very nice outdoor cafes on the West side of Michigan. They're a little frozen now, but summertime is a fine time."

They're a LOT frozen now. But it was August at the time. In St. Joseph. Near the lighthouse.

"Yes, and those cafes happen to be patronized by a lot of gay leathermen on vacation."

No, that would be Saugatuck, where the squares are on vacation and the leathermen (and non-leathery gay men) own and run the town, as far as I can tell. One of the most attractive, cleanest towns I've ever seen. I walked into one of the legion of antique stores downtown.

Guy behind the counter (imagine a pose with one hand on his hip): "Myyyyy, THAT'S a nice beard! Is that a stick-on?"

Artemis: "Huh?"

I bought a terra cotta armadillo from him. He said he was VERY pleased it was going to a nice home.

By Tavis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 12:08 am: Edit

People DO seem to revel in the illegality of absinthe. I remember seeing, in fact you can still see, small adverts in the back of magazines here in the UK advertising absinthe as if it were some shady drink that the seller had found a dubious legal loophole for. I think people definitely revelled in this image of absinthe being hush-hush, don't tell your neighbour or the authorities will put a stop to it kind-of-thing.

There are still a significant number of people in the UK who are misinformed where absinthe is concerned. I made the mistake of telling my mother I had some, she must then have found out that absinthe 'destroys the brain actually', then she was on the phone to me asking me if I had a problem and to make sure I added plenty of water! Sheesh, take my parents, please..... I lied and said I didn't have it that often, the truth is I have one glass maybe 4 times a week, hardly dangerous but best kept to myself I think, don't want to give her a heart attack.

By Pikkle on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Well, if there was enough of a market for
absinthe in the U.S. there'd be some importer
or importers shoving dollar bills down some
legislators' pants to get an obscure piece of
legislation tacked on to some mundane bill
about sewer drains and all of a sudden we'd
have legal absinthe. C'mon, bet me. But
people seem to think it's more fun to keep it
underground and illegal so they can get off on
the idea they're not only getting drunk, but
doing something even worse even though all
they're really doing is getting drunk in dark
rooms with no windows. I prefer mine on the
front porch in my underpants but that's a
hillbilly thing I guess and anyway the libation
of choice in my 'hood seems to be 'Old E' in
the forty ounce glass bottle... I find enough of
them on my front lawn. So write your
congressmen, write your favorite importer,
there's money to be made and absinthe to be
drunk!

By Pikkle on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Yes, and those cafes happen to be patronized
by a lot of gay leathermen on vacation.

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Well, Rupe, it sure didn't happen when Jesse Jackson's boyfriend was president.

By Rupert1029 on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Legalize Absinthe ? With Jerry Falwells boyfriend as President ?

By Marcellin on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 11:38 am: Edit

Actually, there are some very nice outdoor cafes on the West side of Michigan. They're a little frozen now, but summertime is a fine time.

p.

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 11:02 am: Edit

And you know what Artemis? I was picturing you somewhere on the west coast of Michigan.

By Black_rabbit on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 10:31 am: Edit

That, and the prevailing wind of politics is that drugs are bad, mmmkay? Just Say No. I know it's not a drug the way crack or H or speed is, that it really is only good booze, you know it, but the powers dat be don't. They would do a *little* reading and then we would come on this board and talk about how we used to drink absinthe.

The ATF would get briefings on Van Goh, insanity, and what the 'paraphanelia' looked like. Ted Koppel would tell America how it was used in date rape, and would melt your kids' brains like candlewax. Oprah would have a fifteen year old hooker on telling everyone she sold her body for Absinthe money.

Or, at the least, They would notice us, and probably, They would not like us one little bit.

By Artemis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

"That's funny. Michigan as Paris?"

The sidewalk cafe and strolling clueless American tourists put me in mind of Paris; it could have been any state in the Union. I mentioned Michigan because that's where it happened, not because it was of great significance.

"Wow. Wherever you were you should drop a note to their tourist board and tell them. I'm sure they'd love to hear that. That would be a real kick in the pants."

The town in question, which is as far across the state as you can get from Detroit without falling into Lake Michigan, already suffers from delusions of grandeur and reaps many tourist dollars from wealthy FIPS from Chicago to prove it. They don't need any help from me.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 08:34 am: Edit

The Ban on absinthe is too far an issue (overing over 3 agencies of gov't) to attempt it. The funding simply isn't there.

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 06:26 am: Edit

I guess some of the hesitation to petition could be drawing unnecessary attention to something you can already get with some to little interference. Along with "outing" yourself as a potential user.

Same issues as pot, huh?

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 06:22 am: Edit

Let's see: Michigan is home to Ted "kill'em if you love the animals" Nugent, Govenor Chubby("Pot Hole" John Engler), Kevorkian and Jeffery Fieger, John Norman Collins, visited by Ted Bundy, Detroit has more bad associations than I can think of. The stretch between Detroit and Monroe is know by the Center for Disease Control as "Cancer Alley".

That's funny. Michigan as Paris? Wow. Wherever you were you should drop a note to their tourist board and tell them. I'm sure they'd love to hear that. That would be a real kick in the pants.

By Artemis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 06:10 am: Edit

Something like that. This past summer I was sitting with a companion at a sidewalk table, outside a coffee shop in a touristy town in Michigan. It put me in mind of Paris (not that I've been there, but I've read the absinthe literature), and I told her:

"It's a good thing absinthe isn't legal here".

"Why"?

"I'd be shit-faced about now and chasing these people down the street with a sword cane".

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 06:03 am: Edit

I guess that adds to the euphoria/placebo effect. That whole "living on the edge" thing eh?

By Artemis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 05:57 am: Edit

It's been talked about here, but most of the people who frequent this board seem to LIKE it being illegal.

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 05:50 am: Edit

Have there been any efforts made to petition the ban of Absinthe from being sold or produced in the states?

I tried to do a search on the forum and kept getting a error message.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation