My Absinthe arrived!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:My Absinthe arrived!
By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:08 pm: Edit

La Fee is the ONLY absinthe I would recommend without reservation.

By Lowlight on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 12:11 pm: Edit

What would you recommend?

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 09:37 am: Edit

I meant the alcohol in the paper evaporated. I hope you weren't sucking on brown paper and baling twine! MM just ain't that good.

By Lowlight on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 09:12 am: Edit

There was still alcohol left, trust me on that ;)

But they said they'd send a replacement after I send a pic. I'll let you all know how it goes, so you can get an idea on this seller.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 08:59 am: Edit

"it smelled VERY heavily of anise"

Mystery solved. The absinthe leaked out through the crappy seal (MM 140 bottles do have a really crappy cap seal), the alcohol evaporated, and you were left with anise-flavored packing.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 05:16 am: Edit

that is good...Of all the damage I have heard reported it is with Mari Mayans. I have some old pernod fils bottles, great thick glass. I accidently dropped one on a hardwood floor, it hit the ground and rolled...no damage.

By Lowlight on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 05:07 am: Edit

Actually the seal for the cap was already broken when I got the bottle, and yes, it smelled VERY heavily of anise.

To test for alcohol, I had a shot of the stuff. God, when you drink this stuff straight, there is NO such thing as subtle! No worries here! :)

James from Absenta.com emailed me and asked for a pic of the bottle with the broken cap seal. Luckily I have a digital camera.

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 03:01 am: Edit

I think you are right Justin, most of the screw caps I have seen on MM bottles just keep on twisting, the thread is very poor.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:22 am: Edit

I can tell you what happened. Mari Mayans is one of the worst examples of bottling I have seen. the glass is thin, and the cap isn't water(absinthe) tight. Ergo, it leaks out of item. I have a bottle that has been open for over a year and there has been little of no evaportaion. Just a matter of bad bottling...

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:03 am: Edit

Interesting that the Pernod document I'm working on for Phil the Frenchman says that leads and wax seals were added to the larger absinthe vessels (barrels and carboys) just before they were sent on their way, to prevent "subtractions" in transit!

Lowlight, did your package smell like anise?

By Black_rabbit on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 12:18 am: Edit

you know, the alchahol may be subtle because it aint there anymore- 70% can evaporate awful fast.

By Lowlight on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 08:43 pm: Edit

I knew from the moment I picked up the package something was up. It felt so light, I thought I had been had!

But when I opened it, the "safety" on the cap was only half broken (the part that normally stays on the bottle when you take off the cap).

I just hope they get back to me so I can get a replacement bottle. I have a feeling that if it had been from SC, a new bottle would be on it's way within the day.

By Midas on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 05:49 pm: Edit

That is truly odd. I wouldn't be a happy puppy if I got a half empty bottle in the mail. Maybe the customs people got a little too curious?
-Robert.

By Lowlight on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Oops, I meant ABSENTA.com

"A" not "E"

D'oh

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 04:19 pm: Edit

From Crillon? Are you sure it was www.absente.com? I think you mean www.absenta.com. Big difference.

Anyway, they are offering MM at about $85 US, delivered? Why would anyone use them when you can get the same stuff for less than half the price from SC?

By Lowlight on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 03:57 pm: Edit

What do you drink? I also ordered Segarra (they are my first bottles ever)

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 03:46 pm: Edit

I haven't...Spirits Corner and friends I have there supply me...although I never drink MM...yuck..

By Lowlight on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 03:43 pm: Edit

So I take it that nobody has ever dealt with this seller and thus can't comment on what kind of experience I may have with them?

By Lowlight on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 07:02 am: Edit

And it was half empty!

I ordered a bottle of 70% Mari Mayans from Absente.com. I hope they're good enough to replace it!

I quickly made a glass of it, I can't believe how subtle the alcohol is, even at 70%.

Makes a great breakfast!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation