Absente Pastis Labeling in Europe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Absente Pastis Labeling in Europe
By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 12:30 am: Edit

Aye, I'm drinking this Versinthe right now, only
because I'm out of everything else and it's
barely palatable... I've gotten everything else
out of my system for the past week and I can
still barely stomach this stuff and as I
understand, this is better than many other
pastis... I find it hard to believe I actually
enjoyed Absente the first time I had it. But it's
probably like anything you've searched for for a
long time, you're just glad you have
something... not anymore.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 03:25 pm: Edit

The first time I tasted Absente, it was already mixed with sugar and water (a la the absinthe ritual), and I found it to be downright nasty. Sometime later, I tasted it with just added water, and found it to taste a bit better. Basically, this product tastes much more like a decent pastis (like HB pastis, Versinthe, Lamesinthe, etc.) than absinthe. It already contains a lot of sugar, which gives it a syrupy consistency. In contrast, if you take a decent commercial attempt at making an authentic absinthe (like La Fee), you'll find it to be much drier and more aromatic. Pastis (Absente) tastes like some sort of candy in comparison. Classic absinthe was a dry aperitif, and having no added sugar reveals subtle aromatic background flavors which tend to be herbal, floral, and perhaps even slightly medicinal, but not unpleasantly so. Pastis is anything but that.

By Rtlplus3 on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 02:21 pm: Edit

I have a bottle of the US Absente. I first tried it at a long time friends house on new years. There is almost nothing on the label to discribe the product. Which is how I ended up here and found Absinthe is alive and well and seemingly not as trippy as the John Zorn CD (Absinthe)or literature makes it out to be. I'm hoping to try the real thing soon as I have some on order.

Do you find that the Absente compares with any Absinthe good or bad?

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 11:14 am: Edit

I just received a bottle of Absente from Europe. Unlike in the U.S., the bottle label proclaims the curiously common phrase, "Liqueur Aux Plantes D'Absinthe". Regardless, this wording was likely 'unkosher' for the U.S. A.T.F. labeling requirements, which would probably explain why it is non-existent on U.S. labels.

It just occurred to me that "Absente" means "The Absent One". I think this is self-explanatory.

The back label offers verbiage which likewise differs from U.S. bottles. A rough translation follows:

"Absente liquor with the plants of wormwood, differs from her sister, the green fairy, on one essential point: the active ingredients contributed by the plants, are present today in negligible amounts, in conformity with the regulation. With Absente, there is no risk yada, yada....."

The ingredients are listed as: Alcohol, cane sugar, infusion of essences of "plantes de absinthe" 1.5%, spirits and essences of plants, artificial coloring.

The texture is very similar to HB pastis, although not as aromatic. Due to the syrupy sugary consistency, this product tastes far more like pastis than absinthe. I haven't compared it to the U.S. product, but I suspect it is exactly the same thing.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation