Writing story - sources needed

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Writing story - sources needed
By Hersaint on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Nobody can write anything half as informative as this forum has been to meÖ

Since finding this forum I have sampled four different types of absinthe Sebors, Mari Mayans 70, Diva and some dodgy stuff from the Czech Rep (Martin Sebors Distillery, Cool Bottle though made from leather).

With some La Bleue on the way and the possibility of a New Absinthe soon, things are looking rosy and thatís thanks to all of you for this information.

Loud Applause

Forum "I thank You"

If it wasnít for the secrecy of the drink and the bad press it has received I would never have probably tried it or given it a second glance so to the gutter press thank you as well, but no doubt you will write what ever you see fit.

By Artemis on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 07:53 am: Edit

From Midas:

"At the end of the day, I'm a romantic. I love the lore, mystique, notoriety and history of this aperitif of ours. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't be here."

Amen.

By Head_prosthesis on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 07:12 am: Edit

Drippy drip drip
Sippy sip sip

Swallow down the emerald drinky
Always remember straighten the pinky

Green fairy swimming in you gut
turning you into a buck on a rut

Leaping and running with silk in your eyes
stripping down naked yelling "KING OF THE FLIES"

Cops pick you up at a Denny's lunch bar
Speeding you off their black and white car

In the holding cell you begin to sober
While a man with no pants comes over to prober

Yes a great night of Absinthe O' Bender
Pay the price of wreckless surrender

By Pikkle on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 07:09 am: Edit

I meant that is no longer the driving force
behind my desire for absinthe... I'm a little
better educated now thanks in part to this
forum and now I'm able to enjoy the drink for
what it is... as for the allure of the fables and
the myths, i share those with person who are
unknown to this drink... and when they try it for
the first time, they either like it or they don't. I'm
sure there aren't too many people out there
still drinking absinthe even though they don't
like it due to the history. Even sheep make
choices, albeit simple ones.

By Midas on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 06:28 am: Edit

"Of course the whole mystique of it all
first hooked me. Now, I am beyond that." -I'm not, and I think it would be a shame if I ever did "get over it", for want of a better term. At the end of the day, I'm a romantic. I love the lore, mystique, notoriety and history of this aperitif of ours. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't be here.

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 06:26 am: Edit

For me, it's the taste and secondary effects.

As for mystique, well hell, martini's have that, so does tequila. Absinthe's just has a different vibe, and it is a vibe I like. I generally have really good conversations drinking absinthe (wheras tequila tends to leave me with 'that time I poked my friend in they eye for no good reason' stories to tell.)

Though I will stop playing green devil's advocate long enough to say, it is incredibly annoying to have a 45 minute 'no, it won't drive you insane and it isn't going to make you see things' conversation with anyone who knows a little bit. But that's the price you pay- most people get the above from their initial research. If articles can be written with titles like 'good booze it is, timothy leary's favorite thing it ain't' that might happen less.

By Pikkle on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 06:12 am: Edit

It is so touching ole Head!

Justin

I drink absinthe because I like the taste... I like
some of the Spanish and I like the La Bleue
I've had. Of course the whole mystique of it all
first hooked me. Now, I am beyond that. But if
that's what it takes to get people to try, I'm all
for it, I'm an example. There's no lies implied
in the history. What people believed in
another era may not hold true today or it may.
But myths and history draw many people to
many things in the world and that's not a such bad
thing sometimes.

By Head_prosthesis on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 08:42 pm: Edit

You think football is really boring
try the forum in the morning

XFL is here to save us
February 4th and bring the Serpis

There was a world where heroes ruled
they screamed, they cried, they beat ass fool!

Vince McMahon had lots of fables
Dudley Boys put seniors through tables

Spare the rod and spoil the child
Jericho does something wild

Chubby losers fondle themselves
While Lovely Lita shakes her pelv

Diving, leaping, flying through air
Hardy Boyz had nothing to spare

Stadium spectators fill beer cuppies
while Kat and Debra show us their puppies

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 06:12 pm: Edit

#3 was genius. I agree wholeheartedly. The last thing we need is a flood at SC or high school kids figuring out that they can get booze by ordering it from an overseas vendor. Ugh.

BC

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 05:55 pm: Edit

The fact of the matter is that is one of the reasons why I am getting out of the business. I laugh everytime I hear some goth kid talking how cool it was to suck down a bottle of Hills, and how he was so "messed up." What a shame.

It is a shame when the basis of a product is a gimmick of mysticism. I bought my first bottle of absinthe (Deva), tasted it and was not fond of it at all. Kept Trying Spanish absinthe, most of them are horrible. Finally got my hands on what absinthe is supposed to be, then the vintage absinthe. Then I learned that absinthe was never about mysticm or a magical experience. It is a shame that we are still be lead around by long dead anti-absinthe propogandists. Why did Rimbaud, Van Gogh, Wilde, etc. drink absinthe? Because it was cheap and tasted good. Nothing more, why should we drink it looking for something that isn't there??

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Justin, if they didn't have these notions, you'd
be out of business...

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 05:36 pm: Edit

I recently gave an interview about absinthe to a Toronto AP. It is amazing how almost every question the reporter asked was aimed at the "absinthe as a drug or mystical elixir" end. After half an hour of debunking this sensational crap we actually got to do the interview.

Is it just me that doesn't like this idea of absinthe. Do people really dwell in the world of green fairies and fanciful dreams of the debauched genius? Just seems escapist. I enjoy absinthe as it was in the Belle Epoque: A nice, refreshing aperitif....

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 05:07 pm: Edit

"3. Don't give out public sources for absinthe specifically or they may dry up."

I'm sure that what he means is don't publicize commercial sources for ordering absinthe to be shipped to the US. I strongly agree.

Of course, you're writing a news story and you want to give your readership the facts and people on this board are always yammering on about free speech and all, so all we can do is say, "Please, mister, don't blow our cover." People who want to get absinthe can find the source with a little effort. Can you find a way to avoid drawing unwanted attention to these vendors? Otherwise, that bottle of absinthe you have may be your last.

By Rockstroh on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:18 pm: Edit

By the way,

The "absinthe culture" I'm looking for would be people who are drinking absinthe. Not fake absinthe or home-brewed absinthe, but authentic stuff. I need to talk to experts. Those who know, not those who pretend or want to know. This is a select group; maybe too select to write the article. We'll see.

By Rockstroh on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Point by point:

1. Naturally the FDA would have to weigh in on any article about absinthe.

2. Absinthe is not a drug, I know. I've got a bottle at home right now.

3. Not sure what you mean about no public sources; this is a news story.

4. Thujone may or may not be an issue; sources I talk to will get to weigh in.

5. If you've got a beef about people making their own absinthe at home I suggest you talk to me about it.

6. Real absinthe vs. Fake Czech absinthe: My understanding is that the absinthe on the market today doesn't measure up to the old school's absinthe, though Mr. Breaux and company may be doing something to rectify that. I'd like to talk to them, too.

I agree with you regarding Dispelling the Myths. There's been press regarding absinthe lately and a lot of it's been damned goofy, in my opinion. I want to do a solid, fact-based, non-hype objective story on absinthe and the local absinthe scene. If the local scene is "small and insignificant," then so be it.

More than likely, absinthe is about to burst into the open sooner or later and then everyone's going to be looking at it.

Of course, I'm just a local journalist. If there's no local scene, there's no story.

Rockstroh

By Pikkle on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:08 pm: Edit

Justin, if you can't sensationalize it, it ain't
newsworthy... leave the man alone and let him
write another one of those trashy overblown
articles about absinthe and all her evils!

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Sadly enough, most 'absinthe culture' revolves around a few oblivious idiots who are desparately trying to be decadent by stuffing some herbs in a bottle of vodka and calling it "absinthe". I hope yours is better than some of the sorry pieces I've seen on such ignorance.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:38 pm: Edit

A few pieces of advice:

1. Don't talk about absinthe's legal status..it isn't illegal. I legal status is unapproved by the FDA. That is nailing an nail in this communities foot, and an unneeded one at that.

2. Please don't compare absinthe to other drugs...see above

3. Don't give out public sources for absinthe specifically or they may dry up.

4. Try to focus on how absinthe is just a nice aperitif like any other.

5. Thujone is a non-issue, keep it that way. It isn't like THC in any way.

6. Try to condem people making home-brews, they are often dangerous and nasty for the ignorant.

7. Mention the difference between real absinthe and "fake(czech)" absinthe.

Just some reccomendations. I want to totally change the viewpoint of absinthe in the media. The "Absinthe is pot(LSD, Opium) in a bottle, that will drive you crazy and is ilegal in the USA" is really bad press, and will eventually destory our venue to it, and don't think the DEA won't issue a emergency scheduling.

Just some advice, I have given several interviews to press people and those are the things I focus on. We don't want to crucify ourselves in the end (that last nail is always the hardest, and usually we get help)

- Justin S.

By Fluid on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Good God man,

I hope you play up how incredibly small and insignificant the "scene" is...

By Rockstroh on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Hi Forum,

I'm gathering information for a feature piece on the absinthe culture (such as it is) in the San Jose/Santa Cruz, California area. Target would be one of the local papers, most likely the Metro for those of you who are reading this from that area. Story may also address the illegality of absinthe and the reasons for it but will mainly focus on the local scene. If anyone's interested in achieving a little notoriety through a news story geared to shed a little light on the local absinthe scene, please email me at SaigonCal1@aol.com and we'll go from there.

Thanks everyone.

Rockstroh

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation