Archive through May 17, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Beginner Absinthe Drinker:Archive through May 17, 2000
By mattdibb on Wednesday, May 17, 2000 - 11:58 am: Edit

When I was 16 I went on a school visit where a few friends and I discvered a bright green drink with 70% vol alcohol (Hills). Being 16 we had to buy it to drink that night. After tentativly sipping the stuff I began to really like it, and proceeded to get extremely intoxicated. It could only be described as being 'more than drunk' the next day.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was this: I just discovered the the supermarket chain Tesco UK is selling Sebor Absinthe for 26.99. I was wondering if there were any other brands easily available?

Also, what does 'louching' actually do to Absinthe (taste-wise)? I can never get it to work properly and I am wondering if it is worth me continuing my efforts.

Thanks in advance,

Matt, 18, London, UK

By tabreaux on Wednesday, May 17, 2000 - 12:30 pm: Edit

You won't get Hill's to louche, because it contains no anise, and for all practical purposes, it is about the poorest excuse for absinthe on the market. It tastes nothing like the original, has virtually zero herbal content, and has such a bad artificial color that it looks (and tastes) like window cleaner. The feelingyou get the next day is from the cheap alcohol they use to make this product (which is what gives the bad hangovers). This product is not absinthe.

Sebor is a much better product, has about 10 times the herbal content of Hill's, and is a much better buy. It will louche slightly, mainly because it does not contain much anise (like original absinthe). Mari Mayan's Absenta (70%) is also available in the UK, and has a flavor which is a bit more traditional (louches well).

By bigmike on Wednesday, May 17, 2000 - 01:07 pm: Edit

The first time I tried Absinth was last week. It was sebor, I got it mail order from their website for 36.95 inc p&p. For 1/2 a litre I thought it was very expensive and I'm glad to see tesco have reduced this price, probably because they buy in bulk.
I got it to louche only when keeping the bottle in the freezer overnight and adding iced water very slowly, although it only goes a cloudy green, hardly any whiteness. I tried it with and without sugar, and I prefer it without, as it has a natural sweetness like liquorice. It seems slightly sweeter when louched as far as I can taste. I hate the taste of Liquorice btw, although it's growing on me slowly.

I intend to buy more absinth but due to the very high price of absinth in the UK I'm going to use mail order. www.spiritscorner.com (search for absenta) yields Mari Mayans 70% at 9.40ish per 700ml bottle, Deva at 7.50 a 1L bottle, and a few others, although add about 5 to each bottle for postage to the UK. I'll let you know how I get on.

My experience with absinth was unlike any other drinking experience I can remember, having only 5 shots (25ml each) in 90 minutes, I didn't feel drunk, but i felt mellow, my head was clear, and I felt very focussed. It's an odd feeling, I hope you too can try it. But don't think you'll be able to see little pink Christina Aguilera monsters after drinking it.

BigMike, 22, Nottingham, UK.

PS Ted seems to know his stuff :)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation