Where did I see it

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Where did I see it
By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Mix it with blue Powerade™ it's even better.
But my liquor cabinet stays absinthe filled for
only a very short time...

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 10:25 am: Edit

I hate the color of Serpis.
It comes in a cheap bottle, with a plain, homemade looking label. It is a visual embassasment in my Absinthe filled liquor cabinent. But, it sends me somewhere that no other Absinthe does. And after only 2 glasses ( 1 part Absinthe, 1 part water, no sugar).

I love it.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

I've already tested Herbsaint....thoroughly. It is absolutely thujone free. Don't take any thujone numbers you see published anywhere at face value.

By Artemis on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 06:44 am: Edit

To clarify, I wasn't trying to say that Don or Ted had done analytical work themselves to refute Wormwood's work. Don did explain to me how the methodology could have gone wrong, but looking back on it, he probably did that privately and not here. And I *assumed* Don had been informed at least in part by Ted's experience. I have personally had a great deal of doubt about Wormwood's figures from the getgo. I mean, Herbsaint leads the pack in thujone (not that it matters) and Serpis has none?

By Don_walsh on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 01:47 am: Edit

Disclaimers and redirects:

The analytical work is Ted's and not mine. I am not directly involved in his research, just a beneficiary of it.

Pls bear in mind that Ted is in New Orleans and I am in Bangkok.

The gc work is tricky. I have used a gc but not for 20 years or so; I will soon be using one again to QA our alcohols. I don't expect to have to assay for thujone, although I suppose we can set up for that if necessary.

Bob, the phrase of art in the sciences is 'peer reviewed' publications. 'Juried' ought to only apply to Dr. Bob Gallo.

I have no doubt that Ted's painstaking, exhaustive approach to the highly contentious matter of assaying for certain herbal essential oil components is worthy of being the basis for a doctoral dissertation in organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, or other disciplines or subdisciplines. My own main professor (I was his RA) was a Tulane faculty member before being headhunted to be a charter faculty member of the LSUNO chem dept, from where he retired as Professor Emeritus. I know Tulane's department and it is first rate.

By Tabreaux on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Tulane is the one. They've been throwing invitations into the Ph.D. program at me. I'm just trying to determine what, how, and when.

By Bob_chong on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Fluid:

Don't worry--I taught HS English for four years. Caesar was required reading and I loved getting way into it. I have read/taught the play 18+ times and have seen it another 18+ times. Needless to say, everything in life can relate to Caesar in some way or another. LOL.

BC

By Fluid on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Bob: Apologies, I saw a cynicism that isn't there... I humbly ask forgiveness

...and about that quote, ummm, I definately shoulda paid more attention in English class LOL

By Bob_chong on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Justin: At what?

By Chrysippvs on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

LOL

By Bob_chong on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Ted:

Are you in school now or do you mean you may enroll soon? Is it or would it be Tulane (my alma mater)? Just curious--if this is too personal, forget it and accept my apologies.

BC

By Bob_chong on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Fluid:

How about this:

Why, man, he doth bestride the narrow world
Like a Colossus, and we petty men
Walk under his huge legs and peep about
To find ourselves dishonourable graves.
Men at some time are masters of their fates:
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings.
Julius Cæsar. Act i. Sc. 2.

By Tabreaux on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 01:41 pm: Edit

"You may be adding a Ph.D. to the end of your name someday, right?"

That opportunity has been offered to me, and I am working on it right now.

By Bob_chong on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Ted:

Cool, man. That's what I figured. You may be adding a Ph.D. to the end of your name someday, right? If so, publications help immensely. Plus, it's worthwhile to get recognition and add to the knowledge base, IMO.

Fluid:

Huh? How was I teasing? I am a researcher myself (in Ed.) and always encourage publishing original research.

BC

By Tabreaux on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 12:11 pm: Edit

When my work is done, I will then make perhaps a difficult decision on just how and where to present it. There are several factors which will influence the nature of the decision, none of them having anything to do with the results themselves. As far as academic interest, I am entertaining that now from several parties. The quality of the research is certainly worthy of publication.

By Fluid on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

c'mon Bob,
stop pushing the master's buttons.  That sort of teasing is just plain mean

By Fluid on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:45 am: Edit

aww man,

I'm sitting here trying to come up with a short Shakespearean quote that would at once explain my feelings of anxiousness, excitement and frusteration generated by the persistent teasing of your posts, Tabreaux.   Argggghhhhhh, if only I had paid attention in English class...

arggghhhhhhhhh!!  !    !       !

Fluidless

By Bob_chong on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:43 am: Edit

Ted:

Without asking you to reveal the nature of your findings, would you mind telling me if there is any real scholarly interest in your study (and I don't mean the absinthe "scholars" here but chemists and such at actual research universities)? Also, would you ever publish your work in juried journals?

BC

By Tabreaux on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:30 am: Edit

Without wish to impune the analytical work of anyone anywhere, I am confident at this point that among several other things, I will prove that much of the reported thujone numbers you may see anywhere are baloney. The discrepancy between SC numbers and the numbers listed here illustrate perfectly how reported numbers are frequently meaningless. When the study is finished, I feel that everyone who reviews it will agree that the results are definitive, logical, and perhaps surprising.

By Fluid on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:30 am: Edit

I don't think the thujone list is what Bluelens was after anyway.

After all the debunking and exhaustive threads on why thujone can't be effectively measured, it seems to me that brands are a better measure of potency. I mean, I would not be surprised to find out that some brands with less thujone have more secondary effects than brands with higher levels.

The list below shows Serpis thujone levels as undetecable. Yet more than one drinker on this forum has stated that Serpis has more "effects" than some other brands. Perhaps what we should create is a subjective ranking.

...then we argue about absinthe instead of last century's socio-political disasters.

Fluid

By Artemis on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:18 am: Edit

If these are the same data published previously by Wormwood, I think Ted and Don have taken issue with ALL the results, based upon the apparent fact of faulty methodology.

By Bob_chong on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:08 am: Edit

The SC Serpis email has already been debunked.

As for this:

The section listed about 6 or 7 different brans according to their 'potency'...

I'd say that pure psyllium husk tends to produce a movement the quickest, IMO.

BC

By Chrysippvs on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

Let's please not get on the nonsense thujone tangent. It is a moot point.

By Fluid on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

The Serpis "nd" surprises me, especially after the reported email from Cristina ("...we have found out that SERPIS is the absinthe with the highest thujone level, e.g. 4 times higher that Mari Mayans").

Tabreaux, any thoughts? Or have the Thujone-level threads gotten out of hand? Myself, I believe that the Thujone is acting in concert with another herb/botanical. I doubt that by itself it can do much (other than chase worms).

I won't pretend to actually know anything though, it's just a belief.

Fluid

By Wormwood on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 10:14 am: Edit

If by "potent" you mean thujone content, that was
me.
I had tested several brands, I have come to belive
the herbsaint is a false positive but here they
are again. nd = None detected

Sample namea-thujoneb-thujone
Deva Absenta26.51 mg/Lnd
Hills Absinthndnd
Lasala Absenta33.26 mg/Lnd
Mari Mayansndnd
Montana Absenta30.02 mg/Lnd
Sebor (#1) Absinth13.35 mg/Lnd
Sebor (#2) Absinth12.35 mg/Lnd
Serpis Absentandnd
Herbsaint Pastis38.48 mg/Lnd
La Muse Verte Pastisndnd
Ouzondnd
Angustra Bitters8.88 mg/Lnd
Red Cinzano Vermouthnd14.38 mg/L
Herb Pharm extract10.72 mg/L136.15 mg

By Pikkle on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 06:16 am: Edit

No, I can't help you.

By Bluelens on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 06:08 am: Edit

Hello there...

I am new to this community and have been looking around trying to find information. It seems everywhere I look I am starting to see familiar faces... Anyway..

As I was looking around I came across a web page that had information on the elixir and they also had a litle section listing intensity of effects from the drink. The section listed about 6 or 7 different brans according to their 'potency.' It was showing that if you want to feel light to no effects then try brands ABC and to feel medium effects then try DEF and that brands GHI were the most potent.

Where did I see this web page?

I thought the rest of the page was also quite informative and like an idiot I didn't bookmark it.
I have looked and looked and haven't been able to uncover this page...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Bluelens

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation