Scariest Movie

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Scariest Movie
By Martin on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 03:09 am: Edit

Um, no. I prefer to see women's underwear on women, thank you very much.

-M.

By Imaldris on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Martin.....You wouldnt happen to walk around in womens underwear while you cart your mothers corpse up and down from the basement now would you? ;-)

By Martin on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 03:15 am: Edit

...one of the many reasons why I'm a vegetarian.

Hey, I'm not so scary am I? My mom doesn't think I'm scary. Neither does Head's... huh huh huh.

-Martin

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 12:25 am: Edit

"Lick my plate, you dog dick!"

--best line from TCM III

By Imaldris on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Martin-

I always thought that Leatherface was the scariest character I have ever seen...you're making me rethink that claim. As for my pick for scariest movie...its (obviously) Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which was (loosely) based on a true story. Took me four years before I would try anybodys chili other than my mothers. What really scarred me was the fact that the movie was making me hungry, even after I found out what was in the chili....

By Marc on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 10:14 am: Edit

head,

that's some vision. You come yet?

By Head_prosthesis on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 07:08 am: Edit

Tin, if you had anything profoundly warpable to say to those kids you'd be saying it now.

My vision, you at 50 sitting on the park bench, pants down around your ankles, smearing butter and birdseed on your privates, waiting for the sparrows to light...

Don't get me wrong you're a good guy and all...

By Martin on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 02:35 am: Edit

I wanna be like that when I'm old too. Actually a friend of mine and I were talking about what we would do when we're old (I mean OLD old, older than 70). We both agreed that being old is a great excuse to act crazy. We decided that the coolest crazy old man thing to do would be to sit out on our front porches and get the neighborhood kids to have fights in our front lawns. That would be great... pay little kids to fight each other 'til couldn't fight anymore. We could do really deviant things like give 'em broken bottles and old rusty knives and dare them to fight to the death. We could throw things at them while they were fighting. It would also be cool to have some kind of mud pit in the lawn for them to fight in. I wonder how long it would last before the parents would start taking shots at my house?

If I live to an old age, I'll make it my business in my latter years to try to warp young children as much as possible. If little kids come up and ask me questions about things, I'd tell them all sorts of crazy stuff about anarchism and how they should fight The Man. I would do my damnedest to fill their heads with all sorts of antisocial ideas. I would tell them about how their parents are slaves and they should never let themselves be that way. It would be fun. If I get through to just one of them, it would all be worth it. The world can never have enough bomb-throwing anarchists!

Ha! It would be like Fight Club with elementary school kids.

-Martin

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Martin,

You are aware that 99% of most of the people in this forum will that old man or woman that the end of your street that has like 400 cats, and only comes outside to glare fiendishly at the youth.

"Don't go there, that old man (insert your last name here)'s house, I heard that he has dead bodies in there."

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Maybe some Copies of the Liber Logaeth, or the Heptarchia Mystica which in amalgamation became the background for the Necronomicon. Like Vlad Tzepesh for becoming Dracula...

BlackJack you are right...I must have been thinking of the Gospel of Thomas (sayings not infancy) or something...

Anyone see the Voynich MS mentioned on the history channels show "the most"..it was named the most mysterious manuscript....

By Martin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Absinthe... Gnostic texts... Lovecraft... hmmm, I'm beginning to see a trend.

At any rate... that library does have "something" by Dr. Dee and "something else" on papyrus. I can't say whether its the Book of the Dead, but my brother wouldn't joke with me about such things. He's probably mistaken about what they have specifically, but I don't doubt that they have "something". The Dee book is listed under "restricted loan", which means any average joe doesn't have access to it, and the papyrus isn't allowed to be looked at by anyone without super special special permission... probably due to it's advanced age and decreptitude. At the very least, its interesting to know that they have such things.

-Martin

By _blackjack_ on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

1 Enoch was part of the Qumran library, not Nag Hammadi, and had already been known in the Ethiopic since 1773.

(A nitpick, I'm sure, but I spent the better part of a year on the Enochic literature from Qumran...)

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 04:55 pm: Edit

For what it's worth Go see the original Scroll at the British Museum, the artwork is priceless. Don't read it though, the demons lurking at the threshold are waiting!

yeah right...it is just boring..

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 04:54 pm: Edit

It would not have been possible for Dee to have such a book. The book of the dead or it's real name "Of the Chapters of Coming Forth by Day" were not discovered until 1837 in Papryus format. Even then it isn't a necromantic text, it is more of a confessional (I have no stolen, I have not killed anyone), and a repepition of the Osiris Mythos. Hierogliphs were even not totally translated until the mid-1800's. Matter being of fact there were monks in the 8th century that could read Coptic but not Hieratics, Demotics, or the gliphs. That knowledge was totally lost by the 2nd century, and even then the Demotics used then were radically different than Middle Period classical Egyptian. The only other copies known to exist are inscriptions which are often just small quotes.

Dee liked to boast a lot even said he had "a booke alle filled with hiero-glifics." May have been the voynich MS, definatly not a MSs copy of the Book of the Dead. Matter of fact Dee may have even had a copy of the Amharic (read corrupted gnostic) version of the Sefer Khanokh (enoch 1 (not the cool Slavonic edition(s)). But there is no proof at all of this, and the only editions we really have extant are those from the Nag Hammandi library.

Trust me, without the Rosetta Stone not even a million CRAYS could have cracked that language.

I think someone is blowing smoke up your arse. I have been studying Dee for a while, and it just isn't possible.

By Martin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 04:23 pm: Edit

My brother was working the West Virginia University Library. Apparently they have an original copy of Dr. Dee's translation of Egyptian "Book of the Dead". Pretty cool. They also supposedly have one of the ORIGINAL papyrus versions locked up in a special room. He wanted to get his hands on the Dee version and have fun with a Xerox machine.

-Martin

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Martin,

I am not a big fan of his more sci-fi stuff, but will check it out. The whole mythos stuff is great. I am reading through Dr. John Dee's diary, it is amazing how well his life should be a HP Lovecraft Story...

By Artemis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 01:27 pm: Edit

"Frankenstein Conquers the World" was on TV a couple of weekends ago, on AMC, I think.

The boy who receives the transplanted heart is, even before Dr. X has built his creature, living in a cave outside of town, eating dogs. I didn't watch long enough to see how he became a candidate for the benevolent procedure.

By Admin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Speaking of TRASH:

I have an absolute PASSION for Hammer Horror films. Collect them all! From the early & competent classics like "Brides of Dracula", to the trash they produced in the late 60's early 70's, with favorites being "Twins of Evil" & "Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter" ... which seems a spoof on their own genre.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

I can tell you the lamest "scary" movie I ever saw, though I had to fish around on IMDB to get the title: IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS with Sam Neill. I may have to give it the nod for the worst movie I've ever seen. Not even good for camp value. Utterly preposterous and way too over-the-top. It would make Ken Russell blush.

Here's my vote for the best horror movie concept: a movie called FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD (1964)

"The Frankenstein monster's reanimated heart is rescued from Nazi Germany and blasted with radiation in the Hiroshima explosion. When the heart is accidentally eaten by a Japanese youth, he bulks up to titanic proportions, presenting a threat to Mount Fuji's current guardian, the lizard-monster Barugon. The two then battle to the death."

K.

By Black_rabbit on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:51 am: Edit

Poltergeist. I was 10 or so, and it scared the crap out of me. But what really got me was the fact that, after the movie let out, we got stuck in traffic, next to a graveyard. I kept thinking 'crap, crap, hit the gas before the dead erupt from the ground!' That, and that I didn't want to face the unquiet dead just then, because I really had to pee pretty bad, and that just isn't a full bladder friendly moment.

And somehow, after we saw Children of the Corn, my mom got lost, in the suburbs. She found the one patch of corn, a large garden plot, and got our car stuck there. I still wonder if that was on purpose.

By Artemis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:49 am: Edit

Wasn't Charles the guy bringing Ben Franklin, et. al. back to life so he could question them?

By Don_walsh on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:48 am: Edit

I haven't seen 'The Resurrected' but I would like to see what they made of 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward', one of my favorite horror novels.

Martin, it is not the first filming of that novel. Roger Corman produced/directed it under one of his many phony Poe titles, starring Vincent Price. mid 60s or earlier. It was okay but of course they had to inject a love interest. Whereas poor Charles Dexter Ward didn't love anything but Providence, R.I. and antiquity.

-------

PSYCHO was compelling because it was based on a real 50s serial killer (Ed Gean of Wisconsin, where the author, Robert Bloch (a first gen. Lovecraft disciple and correspondent -- HAUNTER of the DARK is dedicated to him) hailed from. Most people never knew about the Gean case as its detailed were suppressed but he was a necrophile, a grave robber, a cannibal, and mummified his own mother. Used to bring tasty meats to his neighbors, supposedly fresh venison (he was living in the heart of deer hunting country.) Imagine their suprise after...I am reminded of the London 'Demon Barber of Fleet Street' (another good horror movie) Sweeney Todd, who used to rob and kill his customers then sell their butchered meat to a pie shop round the corner...became the most popular in London till they caught old Sweeney...I always wanted to do a Sweeney Todd's Meat Pies fast food franchise to compete with Arthur Treacher's Fish n'Chips.

Any endorsements from our English brethren?

By Martin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:14 am: Edit

Chrysippvs,

You like Lovecraft, eh? Have you seen "The Resurrected"? Its a movie based on "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". Its really good. I highly recommend it. It does a great job of translating that cool Lovecraft vibe to film. There's some really messed-up looking special effects too.

-Martin

By Lowlight on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 12:09 am: Edit

Oh I just remembered the ONLY other movie that EVER scared me (and I was terrified): Blair Witch Project.

I haven't dared to watch it a second time! :)

By Lowlight on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Scariest "movie"

The Haunting (the B&W film, not that stupid special effects crap)

my Scariest experiences would be nightmares whenever I get the chance to have one. Movies just don't do it for me, but nightmares provide more than enough scariness for me :)

Had a great one last night :)

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Naked Prey was my dad's favorite movie.

By Bob_chong on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Sort of a cool movie but not exactly scary is The Naked Prey. AMC shows it a lot. There are about 10 words in the whole thing.

It is suspenseful and compelling to watch a guy totally out of his element, running for his life.

BC

By Head_prosthesis on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 03:45 pm: Edit

The scariest movie would have to be "The Curse of the Head Hunter"

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Has anyone seen "Crater Lake Monster?" It
was some horrible campy movie in the 70'
about some brontosaurus type creature with
big teeth eating a bunch of hillbillies around a
lake. My father took me to see it when I was
about 7 or so. For years after that, i couldn't
look out of my bedroom window. Now we
have Teletubbies!

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 03:03 pm: Edit

I was born and bred on that crap, which is a shame because little of it bothers me...the first movie I remember seeing was Nightmare on Elm Street.

One of the few that really got to me was the Blair Witch Project when it was at Sundance. I have been long fascinated by the notion of man being stalked by malevolent forces for which there is no remedy (is stakes in the heart, magic spells, exorcisms, machine guns...). Hence my love of Lovecraft.

- J

By Admin on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Oh Marc! You took Psycho right outa my mouth! That movie was a freak out. I saw it in high school, during the age of the Friday the 13th dreck mania et al and it stunned me for creep factor like no film before it.

By Perruche_verte on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Re ALIEN:

Quote from http://www.landfield.com/faqs/movies/alien-faq/part2/

- Substantiated rumour:
"Only John Hurt and the camera crew knew exactly what was going to happen during the chest-bursting scene. The actors' only clue as to what was going to happen was from what they read in the script, so reactions are genuine."

This rumour is not a rumour anymore! In "Giger's Alien" it says that this scene was shot three times. So everybody knew perfectly well what they were getting into after the first shot. They had to change their blood stained shirts every time after a shooting.
Veronica Cartwright told in an interview, that they didn't know what was going to happen at all (the first time this scene was shot!), only 'Kane' and the crew knew what was about to happen.
Sigourney Weaver also told us: "Well, I had seen the pictures but in fact when the Alien was born -it was a very funny day. In fact Ridley wouldn't let any of us see it. As I walked on the set I remember everyone was wearing rain-coats which should have given me a hint that something horrible was going to happen, and they never rehearsed it. John Hurt started screaming and because he's such a good actor, all I could think of was what's happening, not to John but Kane, and out of nowhere."
(from "An Interview With Sigourney Weaver" part 1, from The Alien War Official Society Magazine, No. 1)

So yes and no. I have heard (the site doesn't make this clear) that most of the footage used in the final cut actually comes from that first take of the scene.

The actors (except for the guy playing the beast itself, who was recruited in a bar by Ridley Scott because he was the right size) also didn't see the adult alien until they shot the scenes featuring it, so that some of their terror would be genuine.

Ridley Scott sounds like a hell of a fun guy to work with.

By Morriganlefey on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Not only because I just saw "Shadow of the Vampire" last night (BRAVO!!), but the original - Murnau's silent film gem "Nosferatu" - has always been creepy beyond creepy for me. I first saw it when I was about 15. I've always been drawn to vampire lore, but this fellow was different - not the dashing count whose nocturnal visits women pine for, but a hideously sad desperate maggot of a man. I couldn't sleep for days.

I'd also have to vote for "Dead Ringers". Jeremy Irons in a brilliant dual role as twin brothers, one brother a twisted gynecologist who crafts maniacal surgical tools for "mutant women". One look at those tools sent me runnin' & screaming.

Oh, and I agree with Artemis on the music from the original "Halloween". Gets under your skin & stays there.

- Morrigan

By Artemis on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 06:40 am: Edit

"I had no idea how to fight a velociraptor"

A thirty - ought - six will cure what ails him every time.

To stay on topic - a lot of scenes in the "Phantasm" movies are definitely disturbing.

"Gods and Monsters" - saw part of it again last night. Not scary, but scarily excellent. Far and away the best job Brendan Fraser (sp?) has done since "Encino Man". A magnificent movie.

By Martin on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 02:36 am: Edit

Its gross and beautiful at the same time. I really feel sorry for the girl in Necromantik 2 when she has to cut the corpse up and get rid of most of it. You can really feel her pain during that scene. She really loves her corpse but she can't keep it because she doesn't want her "living" boyfriend to find out.

I think Necromantik 2 is my favorite of the two. That girl is a great actress. Her performance is mesmerizing. I really think they should have left out that singing though, she's a pretty awful singer. Actually there's about a half hour that could stand to get cut from that movie, but the rest of it more than makes up for the boring parts.

-Martin

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 02:03 am: Edit

I dunno, I always though Necromatik was kinda sweet.

By Martin on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 01:53 am: Edit

Jorg Buttgereit's sick-o masterpieces "Necromantik" and "Necromantik 2" are always going to be favorites of mine for pure sick disgustingness. And they are quite moving love stories too.

-Martin

By Dengar on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 12:43 am: Edit

"Riket II" by Danish director Lars von Trier is totally discusting. Don't want to see it again...

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 12:20 am: Edit

Quote:

True story: the actors in the "chest-burster" scene in Alien didn't know what was going to happen. It was the director's surprise. They got very, very angry at him.

I've heard this, but I find it hard to believe, since their would have had to have been a huge amount of set-up before the shot was done. They would have come on the set and seen the guy with his head sticking out from a hole in the table and the fake chest. I imagine the only surprise was what, exactly, the critter looked like.

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 12:17 am: Edit

Quote:

When I was a kid, I saw THE OMEN on TV and it terrified me.

When I was a kid, the Omen trilogy just gave me cool twisted ideas. I wanted to be the antichrist when I grew up.

Oddly enough, Jurasic Park gave me nightmares-- not so much the movie itself, but the fact that it pointed out a huge hole in my martial-arts training: I had no idea how to fight a velociraptor.

I'm feeling much better now.

By Malhomme on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Bridges of Madison County

mal

By Midas on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 11:56 pm: Edit

It takes a lot to scare me, but The Shining still gives me the creeps.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 05:16 pm: Edit

When I was a kid, I saw THE OMEN on TV and it terrified me. Beforehand, I assured my parents that it wouldn't scare me, because I knew that satan was a crock. But, as Marc said, the power of film overwhelmed my prematurely developed rationalism. I was fairly sure that if I didn't have a trusted dog to sleep in the room with me that night, I wouldn't have survived it.

A few years later, POLTERGEIST scared the crap out of me, and gave me some serious trouble sleeping. I saw it in a small-town theater where you could stay and see it twice if you wanted to, and I did.

I don't remember being scared during NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD when I first saw it as a kid, but I have had gruesome zombie nightmares off and on for about 20 years. It is a strange kind of nightmare in that they are usually more about doubting my endurance and plain ol' disgust than fear. As you may know, zombies aren't strong or fast, but you basically have to obliterate them or chop them into little pieces to get them to stop coming for you. Yechh.

As an adult, I would say the DEER HUNTER was pretty frightening in that it seemed to draw me into a realish war experience. If it wasn't for the inspirational development and deep strength of DeNiro's character, I would have been lost.

K.

By Marc on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 04:19 pm: Edit

My father took me to see PSYCHO when it was released in 1961. I was ten years old. I was traumatized for weeks (shit, I still am). I don't know what the hell my father was thinking. But, as horrific as the experience was, it led me to an appreciation for the power of cinema. Hitchcock's masterpiece showed me, at an early age, that art has the ability to invade the psyche in profound ways. It can imbed itself
in your subconscious, where it lurks and wraps itself around the tentacles of dream. After that first viewing of Psycho, I spent night after night
seeing Mrs. Bates hurtling down the hallway to my bedroom, knife in hand, deathhead's grimace. The screeching violins of Bernard Herrmann's score
shooting like razor blades through my fevered skull. Yes, the movie was alive and unspooling over and over again in nights that never seemed to end.

By Martin on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 03:33 pm: Edit

I'd have to say "The Thing" (the 80's version) and "Serpent and the Rainbow" are my picks. "Serpent" mostly because one time I was watching it with a friend and I had to drive him to the hospital because it gave him really bad anxiety attacks. All he could say was, "I keep thinking about death, man. I keep thinking about death!" And he kept shaking. Yup, that was certainly a fun evening. I wouldn't recommend watching that if you have any kind of emotional problems or disorders.

"The Thing" has some of the best gross-out effects I've seen from the pre-computer generated fake graphics age. Stop-motion and big puppets ALL THE WAY!!!

-Martin

By Marc on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Well, I can't delete it. Just ignore it.

By Marc on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 02:25 pm: Edit

artemis,

good point. I'll delete it.

By Perruche_verte on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 11:58 am: Edit

True story: the actors in the "chest-burster" scene in Alien didn't know what was going to happen. It was the director's surprise. They got very, very angry at him.

By Artemis on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 10:45 am: Edit

Hmmmmmmm

Marc says the politics threads suck.
Marc decries the lack of stamina in the film threads.
I answer Marc's latest movie call with a whole new thread to separate it from the previous off-topic bullshit.
Exactly four posts later, the thread is turned to politics by ...........
I love ya, Marc. But it will be a long time before I rise to your bait again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

By Fluid on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 10:22 am: Edit

Alien, yeah...

I was 12 too and just about spewed a mouthful popcorn through five rows when the alien came out of the guys chest...

Also from same era: Halloween, Buried Alive, The Living Dead

... I can't go to scary movies anymore, I was permanently damaged by Buried Alive...

Fluid

By Admin on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 10:12 am: Edit

I have to say "Alien" ... I saw it when I was 12, and knew that nothing ever would be able to freak me again quite like that one did.

But, to give a brief nod to television in this thread, I have to say that some of the episodes of the X-Files absolutely can not be beat for creepiness factor, and sometimes downright frightening. The first 5 seasons or so are absolutely brilliantly produced and written.

Oh, which reminds me, of course, on the small screen also, that several of the episodes of Twin Peaks were bone chilling. Hats off to Lynch for paving the way and making shows like the X-Files possible.

By Marc on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 09:05 am: Edit

the scariest movie:

george bush is president.

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 07:32 am: Edit

Oh yeah, scariest movie... hmmm... it's
probably a toss up between "Children
Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" and
"Beaches."

Actually, any Bette Midler movie is pretty damn
scary.

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 07:30 am: Edit

Artemis... get a cable modem... then all those
meaningless diatribes can be yours in less
than a few seconds!

By Timk on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 07:29 am: Edit

How about the Wizard of Oz - pretty damn scary if you ask me!

Tim

By Artemis on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 06:50 am: Edit

It might be a good idea, when someone wants to reclaim a thread, to just start a new one,
because the tired old bullshit that trails along with the old ones takes a LONG time to download.

Marc asked for scariest movies:

"Halloween" (before I had seen it a million times and therefore *knew* where the boogeyman would pop out), but the atmosphere is delightfully creepy even still. The music is perfect.

"Eyes of Fire" - just plain scary.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation