How about a chat room?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:How about a chat room?
By Martin on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 03:23 am: Edit

THE GREAT HUMONGOUS!!!

Lavaliers... yeah, I can see how those could get me in trouble.

SM58s? Don't make me laught bro! The only thing I use dynamic mics on are bass drums and sometimes bass amps. Usually I use Oktava and CAD mics. Sennheiser makes some decent ones, but I'm kinda on this anti German mic kick. Don't ask me why. Mostly because I don't have the cash to buy a couple Neumanns. That.. and I really like Russian mics. As soon as I get my mic arsenal built up enough, I'll probably never use a dynamic mic again... with maybe the odd ribbon mic being an exception.

-Martin

By Head_prosthesis on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 06:59 am: Edit

AND I'm well aware of the various cracked PC programs that are available. DO YOU THINK I LIVE UNDER A ROCK? I LIVE FOR ROCK!!! I'm THE AYATOLLAH OF ROCK AND ROLLAH!!!

By Head_prosthesis on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 06:57 am: Edit

Martini,

When mic'ing for a news broad(cast), I used Lavalieres. One lady in particular was very adamant that it not be visible. Since she had no collar or folds in the blouse I had to go up under her shirt. I accidentally tweaked her nipples with both hands. I almost lost my job over that one. I was dating her daughter that was the only thing that saved me.

Bad vibe this...

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 06:15 am: Edit

What are you using, Senheisers? Or probably
SM58's if you're running the show... ahahaha!

By Martin on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 02:46 am: Edit

I've never had a problem mic'ing talent. You must put off a sleazy vibe or something. Besides, how close do you have to be to do that? I don't usually have a mic any closer than 10 inches from a person, and usually it's farther.

-Martin

By Martin on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 02:42 am: Edit

"There's always the cracked version of Goldwave..."

There's cracked versions of EVERY PC audio program available. I mean ALL OF 'EM. All easily obtainable from the right sources.

-M.

By Cheese on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 10:39 pm: Edit

I'm kinda new to IRC, but wouldn't setting up a sepulchritude or absinthe channel be pretty simple? Has someone done this or plan to? I probably wouldn't participate more than I do now, but a few of you could be pretty interesting in real time.

Josh

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 09:30 pm: Edit

There's always the cracked version of Goldwave. It's free and makes digital recordings slide out the chute like a velvet air biscuit.

Mic'ing talent sucks. The women always think you're trying to cop a feel or look down their blouses and for the most part I am but it's the automatic stereotyping that comes with the job that I hate. Give a perv a chance!!!

By Martin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:58 pm: Edit

It is the ear. I treat the computer like a tape deck not a fix-all. And yes, I DO know how to edit analog tape... with a razor blade and editing tape. Yes, and I was quit good at it. My training in the recording arts is very classical and old school. It is these old techniques (big rooms, quality mics, distance mic'ing techniques, live echo chambers) that I utilize to make my work sound like real recordings and not like some geek with a computer.

We use computers because most of our clients aren't too keen on paying $200 for a reel of tape. If it were economically feasable to have an entirely tape-based analog studio I would be all about it, but that's just not happening right now. If I find a good deal on a 1" 16 track, I'll jump on it, but right now I'm happy with the whole computer thing. With a $1,500 computer and $900 worth of software I can do what would take me about $50K+ worth of gear in the analog world. Without a good ear, computers are worthless. They can't fix bad recordings. They just make them sound worse.

-Martin

By Pikkle on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Hey Martin... what did you do before there were
computers in the studio? It's not the tools, it's
the ear...

By Martin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:38 pm: Edit

I'm not a computer geek... but I very openly admit to being a sound geek. There's nothing wrong with that. I work in sound... it's my business to be a geek about it. That's why my work is better than 95% of the studios in my area(that's not really saying much, but I really am good). The only geeky things I know about computers are those things that are directly related to sound.

-Martin

By Pikkle on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Martin, not only are you a computer geek, you
are a sound geek as well.

By Martin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Crummy audio on a PC is a result of shitty sound cards. We use a fancy shielded card that has it's converters located outside of the computer. I've never had even the slightest problem with noise. Noise is only a problem with common ordinary sound cards... not professional ones.

You see Macs alot in studios because for years that's all there was. Pro Tools was the standard for doing audio on a computer, and it was only available on Mac. Things have changed alot since 1994. Macs are still popular in studios, but PCs have caught up to them and in some ways even surpassed them in performance. The Pro Tools system is quality and reliable, but its a dinosaur when compared to today's host-based systems. The advantage of a Pro Tools system is that all it's processing is handled by DSP cards, not by the computer's processor. This means that even a slow computer can do alot with a Pro Tools system. "The Downward Spiral" was recorded on a Mac Quadra! That kind of thing is only possible with DSP cards. Well, DSP cards cost a fortune and they're not easily upgradeable, and what's more, the new G4 towers don't have enough slots to put in all the cards needed for a hard-core system. Macs and PCs are on nearly equal ground in studios nowadays, and if Apple continues to make their computers less and less friendly towards professional audio, I can easily see PCs becoming the standard. Most Macs you see in studios are usually about 5 years old. The 9200 PowerPC was the Shit for running Pro Tools. Lots of slots.

Before we set up the studio, we seriously considered whether to go with Mac or PC. We decided that PC was the way to go. Its far more economical and the sound quality doesn't suffer one bit.

One more thing... this is just my opinion of course, but I think Pro Tools sounds like shit. I'm not alone in that opinion. Many engineers find the quality of the Pro Tools converters to be rather poor. Many decent studios run Pro Tools with higher-quality third party converters. The 32 Bit recordings I do with Samplitude and our Aardvark Aark 24 card will stomp a Pro Tools system any day of the week.

but what do I know?

-Martin

By Pikkle on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 04:54 pm: Edit

As for the Mac in sound studios debate, I used
to work in sound... Martin, pick up any copy of
Pro Audio and flip through it, all those nice
fancy decked out studios seem to have quite a
few Macs hanging around them... are those
just for show? My good friend who is head
engineer at his studio only uses Macs, not
only because they're more reliable, they
produce alot cleaner signals than do pc's. As
far as sound apps are concerned, you can
find almost anything on a Mac that you can on
a PC. But if you're happy with what you have,
go with it.

By Pikkle on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 04:50 pm: Edit

I've had my Cube for six months... absolutely
no problems at all... and the lack of fan noise
is great... as long as you don't thrive on a
whole lot of peripherals, it's all you need for
your home needs... you can really notice when
the DVD/CD drive kicks in though...as for PC's,
I have to use one at work, mostly for
word/excel/powerpoint apps. It's older, slower
which isn't it's fault but it does crash several
times a week... all you have to do is know how
to work around the weaknesses... where I
work, you always have to learn to work around
weaknesses.

By Martin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 04:39 pm: Edit

I'm not going to argue anymore. I don't like Macs. PCs do what I want, Macs don't. That's all there is to it. A computer's a computer. All computers are boxes with wires and chips in them. Trying to make them out to be anything more than that is unnecessary and silly.

Honestly, I would use BeOS instead of Windows if there were more high-end audio software available for it, but there really isn't. There's a couple good ones, but then nearly all the good plugins I have need DirectX to work and I don't beleive BeOS supports that. Oh well.

-Martin

p.s.
BeOS works both on Wintel and Mac boxes. Its unfortunate that it doesn't get more support because it looks really nice.

By _blackjack_ on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Monitors are tricky. They either last forever, or they last about 2 years. I haven't found any pattern to it, brand-wise. They are almost always more expensive to fix than to replace, which is why I'd be wary of anything with an inbuilt monitor.

I also find the G4 cubes overly cutesey. I don't trust anything without fans, and since you can't put your monitor on top of them, they effectively take up as much desk space as a mini-tower, unless you stick stuff behind it, I guess...

I wouldn't mind having a fully-loaded G4 tower, if somebody gave it to me, but I can build a system that would eat it alive for half the price, so why bother?

And, yes, I have more computer than I need. I also drive a car with a 500 cubic-inch engine...

By Admin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:03 pm: Edit

And that is not likely to happen. They use good monitors, and I had one for 10 years from them that finally gave up when I zapped it somehow.

But true! Aside from a few peripherals, I have no need for monster trucks. But my next computer is more likely to be a proper mac desktop. so I can put all this mess inside it. Heh.

By _blackjack_ on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

But once the monitor breaks, you're screwed...

The main reason I don't own a mac is that Apple pretty much gets to dictate packaging and system configuation. PC's you can build from parts. My system is overcocked to 1.2 Ghz, has 12 fans, and sounds like a vacuum cleaner when you turn it on. iMacs are like New Beetles. My computer's a monster truck...

By Admin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 01:16 pm: Edit

And people get the erroneous idea that because they're candi colored, iMacs are toys. They're not. Powerful li'l machines. Granted, its about time Apple made a clean break with their OS to forge something more up to date, but it is still a powerful wee workhorse.

I do design, programming, production work, work work, dvd watching, video editing (well, I've only foodled a bit with that) et al on mine, and its a sharp li'l bugger.

I don't engage in comparisons tho, it's futile, and every system has its points.

By Daedelus on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 12:59 pm: Edit

But, you seem to be implying that Macs can do more things than PCs (and you may or may not be right) or that Macs are more powerful than PCs (and here you would be onto something) or that Macs are more expensive than PCs (not based on processor power. not processor speed, but power, two wholly different things). A new iMac would set you back $900 bucks or so, even less if you get a recently discontinued model. A comparably equipped PC is going to set you back pretty much the same.

daedelus

By Daedelus on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Because you get to destroy more than just the squirrel, thats why!

daedelus

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

"So why should I bother getting something other than that which is cheapest"

The ramen and trailer analogy falls flat.

What I meant was, why go squirrel hunting with a bazooka? No need.

BC

By Daedelus on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:46 am: Edit

John Q Public is not Mac's target audience. A Mac is more like a finely engineered German car than a Saturn. Its a boutique computer plain and simple. It is finely engineered, impeccably detailed, and the OS is pleasing to those who give a shit about design. You don't have to be a zealot to figure those things out. But it helps.

daedelus

By Daedelus on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:43 am: Edit

"So why should I bother getting something other than that which is cheapest?"

So by my estimation you eat nothing but Ramen, dress in salvation army clothes, only drink water, live in a doublewide on your mothers land, and walk wherever you need to go. Oh yeah and own a circa 1987 IBM running ms-dos.

With all of the money you save you should just be throwing $200 bills at Bettina for some La Bleue.

daedelus

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:13 am: Edit

Daed:

You're right about the ed market. If Apple hadn't aggressively marketed themselves to various government entities (i.e., schools), they might never had made it to today.

If you want a brand comparison outside of absinthe: Macs are like Saturns. They have a loyal cult following who will never cease to evangelize the wonders of their product.

Or for a beverage-related analogy: Mac=Pepsi.

As for mediocrity being reliable, I have yet to experience my Windows machine holding me back. I have no idea why John Q. Public needs something that costs twice as much. Internet, email, office, and the occasional statistical software are all I use. So why should I bother getting something other than that which is cheapest?

BC

By Daedelus on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

Macs are like a fine La Bleue, made with care and striving to be excellent. It costs more but sometimes it is more than worth it.

PCs are like DEVA. Does the same job as a La Bleue, maybe not as well. Its cheap, everyone seems to drink it, and its mediocrity is reliable.

Go figure.

daedelus

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 10:55 am: Edit

Add debating OS'es to the short list that includes politics and religion.

My unsolicited two cents: Wintel machines are cheaper. Windows runs on 85% of the world's computers. I am neither a graphics designer nor a musician. Therefore, Windows suits me fine. And colored plastic does not a revolution make.

BC

By Daedelus on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 10:06 am: Edit

Martin,

you must not be a computer geek if you can't even install a Mac based program, or Homo sapiens for that matter. Have you ever taken a look at the install directions from a CD with both Windoze and Mac based programs on it?

Windoze:

place ???.exe in your flibberty-floo, place ???.csc in you flibberty-flee, yadda, yadda, yadda for three more friggin' pages, then maybe it will work the second or third time you try and start it.

Mac:

double click on the ??? installer icon.

That is it, as simple as can be, nothing difficult, it all just happens as if by magic, behind the scenes, and it works every single time. Martin, maybe you are not a computer geek, but rather a control freak, that would handily explain your aversion to Macs. You maybe right on the sound app thing, but that doesn't much concern me. And as to sound apps keeping Apple alive, yeahh right. Ever been into a graphics design firm Martin? Candy colored iMacs as far as the eye can see. Ever been in a high school or University computer lab, Martin? Macs as far as the eye can see (and some PCs too) The education market kept Apple afloat through some rough times, not the paltry audio market.

daedelus

By Malhomme on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 09:39 am: Edit

"Fuck Microsoft! The only MS programs I use with any frequency are the OS and Explorer (and unfortunately DirectX, which is used alot for audio)."

That's quite an opinion from someone that professes to not know a lot about computers. Microsoft makes me a lot of money. Sure, there are problems with their products but as a software developer, the benefits FAR outway the evils or perceived conspiracies of Microsoft. It just strikes me as a knee jerk response, strange from an iconoclast such as yourself. I think maybe you've watched Anti Trust too many times, or have had one too many Frescas.

Cheers,
mal

By Pikkle on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 05:34 am: Edit

Hmm, Martin, for not being a computer geek
you sure seem to think you know a lot about
them... then again, you only did say computer
geek.

By Martin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:42 am: Edit

I'm not a computer geek. I hate computers.

Macs used to be the default platform for all sound things, but my my THINGS HAVE CHANGED! I work in a recording studio and we do 95% of our work on computer... and we ONLY USE PC! All the good audio programs are PC ONLY. You will not find a port of Samplitude for Mac. I'm also a big Cubase user, which is also available on Mac, but the hardware compatibilty for Macs is pathetic. Nearly all the quality high-end audio cards are designed primarily for PC use.

All the good audio programs for Mac are WAY too expensive. The $10K+ I would pay for a decent Mac-based audio system could get me a whole lot more on a PC (a WHOLE lot more!).

Fuck Microsoft! The only MS programs I use with any frequency are the OS and Explorer (and unfortunately DirectX, which is used alot for audio).

My dislike for Macs comes from personal experience. The interface of the OS is a fuckin' joke! Installing new programs is a joke! Everything about it is "simplified" to the point where you don't even know what the hell is going on. I try installing a new program, but it doesn't work because I didn't make sure and do this and this and that and this and a half-dozen other bullshit things required for it to work. That's retarded! Windows is garbage too, but at least you know what's going on, and installation of new programs is about as difficult as double-clicking on the .exe file.

Macs are good for little kids who want to get on the internet and type up homework. PCs are good for everyone else. Honestly, how hard is Windows to operate? I don't know dick about computers, yet I have few problems making mine run right, and when it screws up I can almost always figure it out no problem. That's what's so good about Windows... anyone with common sense can poke around in it and fix things and get stuff set up right. Macs are a nightmare. I have a friend who's a hard-core Mac user and he's fucked his computer up so many times I'm suprised it still works.

"but after the release of OS X (which is UNIX based) all you geek programmers will be clambering for chance to get a new Mac. Finally UNIX will have a beautiful user interface, and one that works infinitely better than any peice of shit Windoze OS."

...umm, I thought that was Linux and BeOS? Most Mac users who run audio programs are dreading OS X. They already got screwed big time with OS 9 and its incompatibility problems with OMS (the thing that makes MIDI work in Macs). Apple is turning its back on the very industries that kept it alive. It's disgraceful.

Apple didn't invent the GUI. They didn't invent the Mouse. They are nothing special.

-Martin

By Daedelus on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 04:49 pm: Edit

LOL,

he said "unfortunately"

daedelus
(just thinkin' dif'rent"

By Daedelus on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Amen, brother.

I'm just sorry to hear that you have to use a PC at work.

daedelus

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 02:05 pm: Edit

That's because Steve Jobs wouldn't license
the Mac os to Gates back in the 80's...
Unfortunately, he didn't license anything,
otherwise you'd all be talking about how hard
it is to get PC software. Macs are by far
superior but PC's have a larger market
presence.

By Daedelus on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 10:14 am: Edit

"there is no decent software for Mac"

what? what defines decent? Not that I would dare use them, but most Microsoft products are ported to Macs. About the only thing that Mac's truly lack are a long list of games. So, therefore PC's are more useful as toys than any Mac.

"the OS is a joke"

what?

its only a joke if you are some sort of Geek programmer, but after the release of OS X (which is UNIX based) all you geek programmers will be clambering for chance to get a new Mac. Finally UNIX will have a beautiful user interface, and one that works infinitely better than any peice of shit Windoze OS.

Windoze sux, even Bill Gates knows it, that is why they are always trying to emulate the Mac OS. From day one they have been trying to rip off Mac rather than develop something new and good on their own.

daedelus

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 09:47 am: Edit

For sound, graphic, and 3-D work Macs are often better as they are more stable. For grunt day to day work a PC is always good for me.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 08:58 am: Edit

It always impresses me how quickly the software on a Mac gets going. Unlike my PC where it takes ages to get started. Also the new multi-coloured Macs do look good.

Hobgoblin

By Head_prosthesis on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 08:43 am: Edit

I love my SUN BLADE 1000.

By Head_prosthesis on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 08:39 am: Edit

OH really ???

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 04:53 am: Edit

I use a Mac at home and a PC at work... so
one is for fun, the other is not... they both do
what they're supposed to do when they need
to... end of discussion.

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 02:44 am: Edit

Hoo, boy, here it comes.

The Mac v. PC debate is the only thing that gets uglier than gun control or abortion...

Me, I go both ways...

By Martin on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 02:30 am: Edit

I hate Macs. I have an old one and all I use it for is typing articles. My Windows box gets all the work done. There's no decent software for Mac and the OS is a joke (not that I'm suggesting Windows is anything better, but at least its not a toy).

-M.

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Got the cable modem... just have to find
software...

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 06:20 pm: Edit

yeah and some of use are still using dailups....

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 06:19 pm: Edit

I've got a Mac, I don't get cool programs like
that...

By Thegreenimp on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Anyone that wants to chat voice in realtime, I have a chatroom available in Firetalk, interested parties can get the program for free from Firetalk.com
Or e-mail me for details.
Jay

By Head_prosthesis on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 06:13 pm: Edit

O my head I get it

tee hee

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Well, unless it's a party line, it'll be no use... I
figure it's better to be insulted collectively,
everyone chiming it at once... besides, if
someone really wanted to insult someone
personally and privately, they could just email
them... there you go Head, trying to use
yourself again...

By Head_prosthesis on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Then maybe we should reveal our phone numbers on our profiles'O

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Well, it beats having to wait to get insulted...

By Head_prosthesis on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 05:48 pm: Edit

I'm hot, young, running free
A little bit better than I use to be.
Cause I'm alive
Live wire

PLUG US IN BABY!!!

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 05:48 pm: Edit

I think it was experimetned with, but time differences and such would cause an interference. I would love it..perhaps on IRC...

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 05:40 pm: Edit

That way everyone could bash each other in
real time... how 'bout it Kallisti?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation