Serpis

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Serpis
By Martin on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 03:11 am: Edit

Not often enough.

-M.

By Head_prosthesis on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Which is how often?

By Martin on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 03:26 am: Edit

Schlitz is my favorite malt liquor. I like it better than Mickey's. It's the only thing I'll drink as a 40oz. I drink it when I'm feelin' dirty and gross.

-Martin

By Head_prosthesis on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Sorry the spell check fairy didn't come into work yesterday...

By Bob_chong on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 09:13 am: Edit

Heilemann was bought out by Pabst. Lots of M&A's in the big breweries over the past 10-15 years.

(BTW--you'll notice that it's Heilemann, not Heileman. I think breweries are more often named after Germans than Jews.)

As for why you can't get Pabst in FL, it's all about regional marketing. None of these Pabst-owned brews really needs to be marketed to the entire country. That being said, I dig the Schlitz, Old Style, and Special Export. Where I grew up, these were mother's milk to us. I retain a special place in my heart for them--good ol' American piss.

BC

By Head_prosthesis on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 07:10 am: Edit

WHERE'S THE ALTES??? What ever happened to this House of Heileman?

By Joshua on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 06:53 am: Edit

wow ever since i moved down to florida,i havent seen any pabst,ive looked in grocery stores,wine,spirits and more.even abc.thanks

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:57 pm: Edit

By the way Chonger.

"OK BOB"
-Audrey Horne Twin Peaks.

And all you people can just keep your long winded
opinions to yourselves about Lynchy-bon-bon's failed attempt at television comedy ala "On The Air"...

I weep every time I think about it.

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Oh louchey goodness...

SERPIS IS THE SHIT! BOIY!!!

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Ha funny. Love the imagery, gotta go, got Serpis to drink. Love you, bye...

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:17 pm: Edit

OK. Maybe you could rebrand yourself as Ear Prosthesis (complete with its own ants).

BC

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Excuse me, you were correct I was wrong the "OK BOB" was a test of your knowledge of the Lynchian Universe, MISTER SENSITIVE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW HOW MUCH LOVE I HAVE IN MY HEART FOR YOU PEOPLE???

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:11 pm: Edit

If I know the quote verbatim, why would you think I don't know the movie?

It's time to take your prosthetic head out of your very real anus.

BC

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:09 pm: Edit

OK BOB!

What movie is this "Lynchian" quote from, Bob?

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:07 pm: Edit

http://www.pabst.com/

By Joshua on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 01:18 pm: Edit

i have been wondering this for a while,is pabst even in business anymore? i havent seen any in ages

By Malhomme on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:28 am: Edit

You're right on that one Bob.
Someone's head must not be screwed on.

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

I always thought it was, "Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 07:09 am: Edit

"FUCK HEINIKEN! PABST BLUE RIBBON MAN!!!"
-Frank Booth

By Pikkle on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 05:30 am: Edit

Really Martin... exactly what colors does it
taste like? Yellow #5 perhaps? Or perhaps it
tastes more like a sine wave...

By Martin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:05 am: Edit

Herring kicks Mari Mayans' liquorice-y ass. Its best mixed at a 1:1 ratio with no sugar. Unlike MM, Herring actually has a polychromatic flavor. It is far less of an anise-y mess than the majority of Iberian absinthes. There's nothing harsh about it at all... and its not wimpy either.

It's the Heineken of absinthes. Nothing special, but still damn good. Always satisfies.

-Martin

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Yeah...how'd you guess ?

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 05:25 pm: Edit

So what you're saying is that if you had to
choose a Czech piss, it's be Sebor?

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 03:29 pm: Edit

But...if I had to chose a Czech Piss, it would be Sebor.

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 09:29 am: Edit

But...if I had to chose a Czech Piss, it would be Sebor.

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 03:24 pm: Edit

I like them all Pikkle.....the ones from from Spain. I have tried every brand that SC offers. The only quote better than "Postman here, I have a package for you" is "Your order has been brought forth and taken to the post" from Cristina at SC. I actually tried Serpis by accident. I had ordered Segarra, and SC got my order confused with someone elses, so what was "Brought forth and taken to the post" for me was a bottle of Serpis and a broken Absinthe Glass. In true customer service fashion, Cristina let me keep the Serpis, and sent me a replacement Segarra at no charge.

I have to admit extreme snobbery towards the Czech Piss though....even Sebor, which some on here like.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Go with what you like, just make sure you try
as much as you can, you never know what you
might like.

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I guess I am not much of an Absinthe snob...so I do serve my friends Serpis (although I do explain that other Absinthes aren't red)....and they get off on it...and appreciate it. Most have never heard of Absinthe anyway. I can say with certainty....it has a great effect..and the effect aint secondary baby....it's primany. Maybe it's not thujone...but there's something there. Whatever...it works for me, and thats what matters.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Lasala and Herring were virtually identical...
the Herring being the lesser of the two evils,
but only by a hair.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 11:27 am: Edit

Segarra is leaps and bounds better than Serpis, although far from something I would give to my friends and call absinthe.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 11:05 am: Edit

Personally I think Serpis is better than the other absinthes I have tasted (although I've only tasted Sebor, Deva, Lasalla, Segarra, Montana, Mari Mayans). Haven't tasted any others so I can't judge it against them.

I like Serpis even if the colour is strange. (And yes I experience good 2ndry effects)

Mari Mayans on the other hand, YUK!!

Hobgoblin

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 10:54 am: Edit

Serpis is not very good at all in my opinion. Badaine, citrus, and red color don't go well together. In my book Serpis is a gimmick. As far as secondary effects (whatever that means) I have never noticed any.

By Head_prosthesis on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 10:40 am: Edit

Serpis is the SHIT, BOIY!!!

Some Helpful Household Uses for Lasala & Herring:

Removes skunk musk from your pets and clothing
Will safely dissovle dried latex paint from any surface also gum and tape
Great soap scum remover
Clears clogged drains
Cleans chrome and stainless(not recomended for aluminium)
Makes an excellent bait/slash poison for sugar ants
Stump remover
Repels aphids, mites, burrowing root grubs, moths, most small rodents, discerning Absinthe Connoisseurs

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 08:27 am: Edit

Thanks Artemis. Now I see it. I must have too much wormwood sediment in my system...which has caused some sort of brain malfunction.

Herring is cheap....so it won't hurt to check it out. The lady at SC is gonna have me sent to Betty Ford Clinic if I place many more orders.

By Artemis on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 07:19 am: Edit

From Spirits Corner website:

Absenta Herring 2180 pts 13.1 euros

Herring is yellow, but it does not taste like LaSala.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 06:33 am: Edit

Herring is horrible... you might as well drink
Lasala... or lemonade with some anise in it.
Stick to Serpis, Deva or Segarra.

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 06:23 am: Edit

I looked for Herring at the SC page, but they do not offer it. Where do you get it Martin ?

By Martin on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 02:41 am: Edit

Serpis does good things to me too. That stuff really is special. Too bad about the color and the horrible bottle.

You guys need to try Herring. It tastes better than Serpis (or MM for that matter) and its a very enjoyable drink. I go through it pretty quick. It has a good herbal taste/smell to it. Not nearly so heavy on the anise (though it is certainly there). It mellow enough to drink neat over ice, but its not wimpy at all.

-Martin

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Being out of Absinthe is a hard thing. I always order 2 bottles the day 2 arrive from SC. That way I never run out. Just in case, I have some Czech swill that would have to suffice in a pinch. ( I hope it never comes to that).

By Perruche_verte on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 09:42 pm: Edit

I'm getting a very bad feeling from it right now, because I'm all out of it.

But yes, that "little lift" is quite enjoyable, though I don't notice it any more from Serpis than from Segarra.

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Again...I sit here and had 3 glasses of Serpis. Does it effect others the way it effects me ? While I am aware there are much better tasting Absinthes, and also aware that the color of Serpis is a total mess......it really gives a terrific and unusual buzz, that I haven't experienced with other Absinthes. I have small parties frequently, and always serve Absinthe. When serving Serpis, I have to apologize for the presentation, but after the guests drink it..they usually go home and order a bottle. Anybody else get that great feeling from Serpis ?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation