That's curious...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:That's curious...
By Admin on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 07:58 am: Edit

Don, Midori is a sometime acquaintance of mine. She did a couple performances with an old roommate; he would hang himself by a dozen or so 5 inch (I'm guessing, but they were huge, with barbs removed) fishhooks through the skin on the arms, shoulders & back from a large steel frame. It was extraordinary. I remember having a hard time reconciling the man hanging on the stage with the guy who cooked us all spaghetti the night before.

Midas, I think that picture has appeared in a number of scene & goth magazines.

Wow, Serpentine's prices are better than I guessed! I'll take one "spanish harlot" please in red velvet. heh.

BTW - I did finally find my tricorn hat thu a link on that site too. It would look great with a spanish harlot get-up. Dang.

By Midas on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 06:09 am: Edit

Kallisti, I can't remember where I've seen that pic before, but I have. It's fantastic. The girls at Serpentine keep their prices competitive. Most of the corsets would work out to be around $90 US.
And they are very well made. I have three. It also helps that the shop is at the end of my street.
-Robert.

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 04:35 am: Edit

Dear Admin

Of course I know/knew DivaWeb, it was associated with www.fetishdiva.com which is fetish photog/artist Michael Manning and his wife, Mistress Midori.

No relation to a Domme of same name who used to work for me here in Bkk.

By Admin on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 12:53 am: Edit

More pervy thread:

Midas, that is a lovely collection. I want a green velvet frock coat! Time to whip out the sewing machine from storage. And their prices seem good, friends of mine have run a business here in SF for years, and they're now charging $700+ for custom corsets.

Here's their official photographer, John Carey: http://www.sirius.com/~jcphoto/

Some of the models are good friends of mine, and here's my favorite pick of two of my favorite people: cello by John Carey

By Admin on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 12:36 am: Edit

Don, I know DeMask. One of my secret identities after I returned from NOLA was as an Office Hoyden for DivaWeb Online, now defunct but run by friends of mine who gave me a job as soon as I stepped off the boat, so to speak. And DeMask was definately one of the classier lines.

It was a hoot, having lots of experience in office management and customer service, I loved turning that to various nefarious accoutrements. "The two inch diameter IS rather large sir, perhaps you'd prefer the 1 1/2 inch?"

By Midas on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 12:30 am: Edit

On the topic of corsetry, check out the website for a boutique run by a friend of mine here in Sydney. Corsets, tudor gowns, doublets, frock coats, bustle skirts...
http://www.galleryserpentine.com
-Robert

By Don_walsh on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 12:20 am: Edit

Dear Corsetgirl

Ted's the guy to talk to about a banner for www.bestabsinthe.com

That's his site.

But I'd love to see your corset site. Have you ever seen the DeMask corset catalog out of Amsterdam?

The are also some really good fetish corsetmakers in SF as you might image and in L.A.

By _blackjack_ on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Corsetgirl:

What's your URL?

By Corsetgirl on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Don,
I'd love to post a bestabsinthe.com banner on my site (woo-hoo)it's a corset site (d'oh) but I'd post it for free :)

By _blackjack_ on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 01:35 pm: Edit

You know, come to think of it, his failure to bcc: does kinda irk me. If he's going to give out my name, I may as well give out his, so, yes, Franglais, it's who you are thiking of: Absinthe Doctor.

By Artemis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 06:46 am: Edit

"he did it by bcc so TEN direct email addresses,
mostly with real names (including yours, blackjack) are right there en clair."

BCC means blind carbon copy. If he did it that way, the only address anyone would see is his own.
You probably meant to say "CC", Don.

The B is the key
To the ano nima tee

As to ads, my firewall catches most of them and puts them in the trash bin before I see them. Anybody who's paying for them is wasting his money on me.

By Pikkle on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 05:42 am: Edit

Golf Don? When's our tee time???

By Don_walsh on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:24 am: Edit

Well, now that you mention it, how much for an exclusive ad for Belle Epoch Liqueurs/www.bestabsinthe.com?

You can work out the details with Ted!

I would be all for it...

By Admin on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 12:45 am: Edit

You mean one can get paid for doing this?

hehe-HAHA ... phhhhbbbt!

By Don_walsh on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 12:22 am: Edit

Franglais, I dunno. I have never communicated with this person. I have never seen his website(s) other than his ad on another Forum. (How many Absinthe Forums start off with paid display ads from dealers?) If you go to that forum and eliminate Betty and Justin from the adverts there aren't many left. He's one of those.

I think he deserves to be named here but as this is blackjack's thread not mine -- it's his honor. In the golfing rules sense.

By Franglais on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 12:05 am: Edit

Would this be the same sketchy dealer that
has 5,000 links from his own tacky website to
his other tacky websites? All with various
versions of his tacky background, which make
his tacky text nearly impossible to read? I
often wonder if he is trying to confuse people
into buying his absinthe or if he thinks people
will actually believe that he is more than one
person.

-I

By Don_walsh on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Dear blackjack et al,

I tell you what really bothers me (and ought to bother us all) about this email. The guy was too lazy to mail to his spam list victims individually -- he did it by bcc so TEN direct email addresses, mostly with real names (including yours, blackjack) are right there en clair.

I'd suggest you scrub that part out before remailing this to anyone else. Those people (and you) deserve their privacy and they did NOT get any respect for their privacy from this paranoid reseller.

I'll leave it to you, blackjack, to decide whether to identify the malefactor.

I think we can assume he has more than ten people on his mailing list so ten of his (real or potential customers) are mutually identified to each other in every email he sent out. THAT IS STUPID.

I would imagine that people who prefer to buy from domestic resellers are MORE concerned about their privacy and anonymity than people who order from overseas. The avoidance of Customs formalities is often cited as the justification for the domestic resellers and their premium prices. So for a domestic reseller to wantonly disclose the email addresses and names of their customers to other customers wholesale and willynilly like this is....BIZARRE. And unforgiveable, in my humble opinion.

Comments?

I reiterate: it's neither Betina nor Justin and as far as I know this reseller doesn't post here.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 07:35 am: Edit

Thanks Blackjack. I guess this fellow is just into promoting paranoia even more than his competitor(s). As far as I know -- this person doesn't post here. So no, guys and gals, it isn't Betina and it isn't Justin. I have seen this fellow's adverts on another forum.

The proposition that his little smuggling enterprise might actually fall victim to enforcement does not translate to the sky is falling. I have LONG predicted that such domestic reselling might attract attention from ATF -- not because it is absinthe but because it is simply unlicensed commercial importing and distributing of alcoholic beverages across state lines and in international commerce. THOSE laws unlike the absinthe ones have some teeth.

This has nothing to do with e-commerce sales to individuals for their own use.

By Don_walsh on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 01:49 am: Edit

Blackjack, kindly email me with particulars. I'd like to know just who this might be. And CC to Ted.

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 01:28 am: Edit

I just received an email from one of the dealers of La Bleue to be found on the net. I haven't ordered from this individual, but did inquire at one point. The basic gist of the email is that there is some sort of crack-down on absinthe importers, and "All distributors in the US are getting out of the business..." The individual then goes on to say I should get on their "list" if I want to still be able to order, because they won't be accepting new customers.

I haven't mentioned who this is because I assume from the tone of the email that the individual want to keep a low profile, but this strikes me as very odd. Is there really any truth to this, or are they scare tactics?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation