SC has Deva 70

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:SC has Deva 70
By Heiko on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 11:29 am: Edit

Just read these posts even they were a little older - you were talking about Anisettes, do you mean something like the greek "Ouzo"? This is also nice, it's crystal-clear like water and louches to milky white.
And, yes I tried some Mary Mayans a few days ago and first thought it wouldn't louche, but after adding more water, it did (and it did very nice!).
It was the first drink I ever had that was 70% but I thought even after adding water it had this slight kind of cleaning-alcohol smell - is that the case with every high percentage drink, or is it just an MM thing?
Deva really has a very high sugar content - even I can't add any more and usually I add sugar to everything - most people think I'm mad when they see me pouring loads of sugar into coffee or tea ;-)

By Fluid on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 08:07 am: Edit

I looked over my Deva case (no, I didn't buy a "case" - my order came in one) and here's what it says:

Deva - Absenta
Destilerias La Vallesans
Palau de Plegamans
Barcelona

Anyone have language ability to perform the spanish inquisition? A phone number should be easy enough to find.

Fluid

By Artemis on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 12:51 am: Edit

"although in an earlier thread it was indicated that the distillations typically add water to reduce the nearly pure alcohol distillate to a "useful" percentage"

What is "useful" is entirely up to the "user", but I made a misleading post in that thread when I said that ALL absinthe is near 95% alcohol coming out of the still. Although that's true for the first runnings in all cases, it's not true for the whole batch. It depends entirely upon how much water was in the pot in the first place, and how long and at what temperature the distillation was carried out. The point I was trying to make is that just because Deva is only 50% alcohol doesn't mean it came out of the still that way - it could have been cut with water to bring it down to that level.

By Uncle_willie on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Hey there
(I am a novice at this so please don't flame me too much)
I had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of the Deva and Deva 70. There were two significant differentcs: The Louche in Deva was more opaque and a bit whiter than the 70; and Deva was MUCH sweeter than Deva 70. I was able to detect more herbal character in the 70 and it was a bit numbing on the mouth probably due to the alcohol.
I don't like sweet drinks, and I tried a sugar cube with Deva -- wow was that sweet!

Both of these effects could be attributed to watering down the Deva with more pure alcohol (add 2 parts everclear to 3 parts deva 50%), although in an earlier thread it was indicated that the distillations typically add water to reduce the nearly pure alcohol distillate to a "useful" percentage. That would suggest perhaps they diluted the product with less water after distillation? That may be why it comes in a 70 cL bottle instead of a full litre...

I am not sure since the Deva I have is 50% and the 70 is 70%, so i would not have expected such a significant difference in taste due to dilution alone. The sugar content is tremendously different.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about it -- still waiting for the spanish inquisition to solve the riddle...

By Martin on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 02:58 pm: Edit

I have a friend who tried orange juice. She said it was great.

-Martin

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Absinthe and freshly squeezed Orange Juice is great, add plenty of absinthe though.

By Black_rabbit on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 06:41 am: Edit

Oh no, it's reeaaaaly nice. I used to take a twist of tangerine peal and drop it in my absinthe, but this is the same only moreso. If you like bitter orange flavor that is (and I don't think I'd do it to any brand but Deva. Definitely not Lasala anyway.)

By Rupert1029 on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Black Rabbit....I hope you aren't saying that Cointreau and Absinthe (mixed) are the best thing in the world. That sounds........dreadful.

By Black_rabbit on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Cointreu! THATS IT!

thanks

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

Cointreau ou Grand Marnier? Lots of essential oils will cause a louche, but my remark about louchiness was targeted specifically at those that might be found in absinthe.

By Black_rabbit on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 07:36 am: Edit

I have that french orange-peel-tasting stuff (coffee hasnt hit yet, so I cant remember the name- great stuff though) and it louches beautifully. It's just the oil coming out, and colder will be better, because colder tends to reduce the amount of stuff that can be desolved in a solvent (the oil in the alcahol in this case.)

My fatigue fried brain won't co-operate with the name, but I do want to say, this stuff and deva are the bestest thing and the world.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 02:10 am: Edit

"If so, I guess your absinthe would only have to be chock full of one herb to ensure louche."

That is essentially correct, and that herb is anise. Although other essential oils can cause some degree of "louche", generally speaking high anise content equals strong louche.

And it does have to do with the amount of water (although the water need not be cold). Keep in mind that ALL absinthes are near 100% ethanol coming out of the still. Well, 95%, since 100% is not economically feasible due to technical constraints. To get an absinthe at ~50% alcohol such as Deva, they merely cut the full strength product with pure water. This is not nearly enough to make it louche (make the essential oils come out of suspension in the ethanol). You complete that process when you prepare a drink. IF Deva is made from essential oils as has been speculated, what they're doing is taking essential oils of anise, etc. (also created in a distillation process, probably steam distillation), and mixing them into a base ethanol of known strength.

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 09:38 pm: Edit

I thought the anethol is what louches. Anisettes louche, and they have no wormwood (and most have no other herbs).

BC

By Anatomist1 on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 07:22 pm: Edit

OK. The chemists are going to laugh at me because I've got this garbled up. What is louche, then? I thought it had something to do with the amount of water (cold water at that) in the mix reaching a level such that a substance precipitated out of the solution. Is that just a particular substance, out of many herbal substances that are suspended in the solution? If so, I guess your absinthe would only have to be chock full of one herb to ensure louche.

K.

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Obviously, they don't have much of a marketing arm reaching out to the U.S. public (or perhaps any public). If they wanted a bunch of idiots asking questions, they'd set up someone to answer them.

Fluid, "all you have to do" is learn Spanish and then make the call. Have fun.

BC

By Fluid on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:24 pm: Edit

They don't have to if someone who speaks Spanish figures out a way to contact them and then posts the translated answers here.

Of course, we could suddenly be barraged by the fabrications of all sorts of creative types.
Fluid

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:14 pm: Edit

No distillery is going to talk to the likes of us.

By Fluid on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:12 pm: Edit

I'd still like to hear what Deva has to say, although if it were truly good news we woulda heard it through SC I suppose.

By Artemis on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Higher alcohol (140 proof) is necessary to keep the green from literally falling to the bottom of the bottle (not all of it, but enough to leave a sediment) when chlorophyll has been used to lend said color. Not an issue with Deva (not colored that way).

By Chrysippvs on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 01:15 pm: Edit

I think the 70% was aimed to chase Mari Mayans. Deva is a far better product, but the lower proof made many people run to Mari Mayans.

By Fluid on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 12:22 pm: Edit

"...obviously not the case with Deva..."

?

Anyone know for sure? Perhaps a latin forumite could contact Deva and get the scoop. There's at least a slight chance that they upped the herbal content... though I agree that the 70° is most likely a marketing ploy to chase Mayans' fans.

Fluid
(Mayans is what I meant, not Hills, d'oh.)

By Anatomist1 on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want Deva with 70% alcohol. Whether you're drinking it for the taste or the 'secondary effects', you'll get to enjoy each less, as it has a higher ratio of alcohol to other stuff. 30-40% less, in fact, before you get too smashed to know any better. My understanding was that many absinthes HAD to have an alcohol content of 70% because they were so chock full of herbs and stuff that it was necessary to keep them in suspension. Since this is obviously not the case with Deva, that would make more alcohol less desireable.

K.

By Bob_chong on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:43 am: Edit

Check your email or goto:
http://www.spiritscorner.com/scriptsing/buscar.asp?K=Detalle&IdProducto=2831

It's about $15. LOL at whoever paid the gazillion dollars from the reseller.

SC is also dumping some Chivas, cheap. Altho' when you add shipping...

BC

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation