Thujone and drug testing

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Thujone and drug testing
By SeaRobin on Sunday, June 25, 2000 - 12:55 am: Edit

Admin,

Lucky you. I promis that on my next trip to N.O. we'll stop in to the Old Absinthe House for a drink or two. In fact, I'll give you a call and the first round is on me.

SeaRobin

By Admin on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 01:08 pm: Edit

AAaaaactually, "The Old Absinthe House" is on Bourbon & Bienville. That is the original Old Absinthe House opened in 1806 and is currently still a bar.

After prohibition, when The Old Absinthe House was closed down for not complying with liquor laws, a bar down the street on Bourbon & Conti bought one of the fountains and the large marble bar and there after was called the "Absinthe House **Bar**" ...

Needless to say, it was confusing to many, being as they were only a block from eachother.

I talked to the folks recently when I was living down there, and when the Daiquiri bar was moving in The Old Absinthe House tried, to no avail, to get back the bar and the other absinthe fountain. The daiquiri bar is an eyesore and made alot of people very angry ... don't know the fate of the bar and fountain, either scrapped or sold at auction. Anyone know?

The Old Absinthe House does still have a fountain, and serve, as their main substitute, Herbsaint. I have a postcard collection of the place with images dating back to 1880. Neat!

By SeaRobin on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 08:16 am: Edit

The last time my wife and I were in the "Big
Easy" we were talked out of going into the
original Old Absinthe House, before it was
turned into a daiquiri bar, by a friend who told us
it was lame because all they served was "fake
absinthe".

In retrospect, shame on me for
listening to him. It would have been nice to see
it just for its historical value as now it is gone.
Oh well, perhaps if the absinthe renaissance
sweeps the US the place will be restored to it's
former glory. If the US follows Britain's lead
(which is unlikely) New Orleans will be the first
city in the US to start selling absinthe again.

By Don Walsh on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 12:13 am: Edit

The place that is now a daiquiri bar was the original Old Absinthe House immortalized in Crowley's essay.

Criminal to have desecrated it like that!

The other place is nice but, has no particular historical significance.

I have not personally visited either since I think 1988.

By hieronymous Geist on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 11:05 am: Edit

Hi Everyone
I just returned from 60 days at sea. My final port was New Orleans unfortunatly I did not have much time to spend there. I did however visit the Old Absinthe House. It is just an ordinary bar, and they do not have many refrences to absinthe, just a few posters in difficult to see places. They do however serve paste and they do use absinthe spoons. They import the spoons from France and they have so few of them that they do not sell them. There was another absinthe house nearby but it has closed and has become a place that sells frozen drinks out of machines. I am glad that I went and I will have to go back to New Orleans because one day is not enough.

By Don on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 09:54 am: Edit

They (other posters below) are all being facetious. Thujone is NOT particularly similar to THC, being far lighter in molecular weight. If we start to discuss THC metabolites versus monoterpenes, you'd have to quit eating or drinking anything herbal, or spiced. That's absurd.

The THC/thujone analogy has been laid to rest; they have totally disparate receptor sites in the brain, affecting totally different enzymes, and anyone who tought differently was, IMHO, engaging in bad science and wishful thinking.

Of course, false positive drug test results are part of the paranoia complex of American polydrug abusers these days.

If all you are doing is drinking absinthe I think you are just fine.

If you are constructing an Absinthe Defense, well, I wish you no luck...

By Black Rabbit on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Yes, but any lab tech who knows your urine louches... well, he probably doesn't want it bandied about that he is drinking pee pee. So blackmail is your best bet.

Seriously.

BR

By Mink on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Other than the well louching urine sample...

By tabreaux on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 07:14 am: Edit

You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

By Horace on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 05:49 am: Edit

I was wondering if anyone knows if thujone shows on any sort of drug tests being that is similar in molecular structure to THC?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation