Absinto Neto Costa - My Review

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Absinto Neto Costa - My Review
By Bob_Chong on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Ted:

Re: Extase. My point exactly. Perhaps there should be a section in the BG for the various types of "absinthe unobtanium" (the unobtania?)?

BC

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 08:59 pm: Edit

You can use them for the guide. That is basically why I posted them.

By Admin on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Oooo, thanks Ted! Nice pictures too. Mind if I steal those for the guide?

Thanks!!!

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Cheese, none of the samples I've obtained for review have come for 'free'.

Bob, I don't have anything to indicate that "Extase" is actually absinthe. It may or may not be (unless someone knows something I do not). Regardless, if it is unavailable, its existence is basically meaningless.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 08:15 pm: Edit

The review makes me feel better about a little something that didn't happen over Xmas. I had a friend going to Portugal and she said she'd bring back a bottle of absinto. I named Neto and others for her, so she'd know what to look for. Well, she tried five different stores and none had anything.

So I guess I'm not missing out. I thought it might be an interesting little oddity to have around, but so be it.

BC

P.S. Can anyone confirm that there is actually such absinthe as "Extase"?

By Cheese on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Umm...if there are any board members that want to send me absinthe to sample, please do so. I won't be able to write a review as well as Ted or Justin, but I'd be game to try the absinthe at least. I'll even try some of that Czech swill.

Josh

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I received this bottle of Absinto Neto Costa from a member of the board. I am not going to reiterate the contents of the labels, as this is clearly spelled out already in the buyer's guide.

The bottle is 700mL in capacity, and the contents are described as 57% (114 proof). The labels appear to have been hastily slapped onto the bottle, as they are anything but aligned properly. The liqueur itself is a pale green color, and has an aroma of not much but a sharp alcohol scent. Upon adding cold water, there is no louche. The flavor is somewhat bland, offering only a slight hint of anise, and a mild bitterness. Basically, the content is rather scant, and there is not much to report in the way of flavor.

Overall, I don't recommend going out of your way to get this product. It really isn't worth the effort. I rate this product as being maybe just slightly below Tunel and Hapsburg, but at least on par with some of the typical Czech brands. I really cannot comment more than this, as there is just not much substance from which to create an opinion.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 07:30 pm: Edit

neto costa

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation