History of Spainsh Absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:History of Spainsh Absinthe
By Dean on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Don writes:

People do not seem to keep absinthe at home in Spain. Or so Absintheur tells us.

This is VERY true. Some of the most well informed people I know in Spain knew a lot about absinthe, but did not know that modern absinthe could be bought in Spain.

Also, outside of where they sell it, even in Barcelona, few people people had heard of absenta.

I asked a liquor store owner (the store where I bought Montana) if absenta was popular. He told me it was not. But, he added, month by month he was selling more bottles (I wondered if this was to Spainish people or tourists).

By Don on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Au contraire, the Spanish absentas are popular bar drinks esp in Barcelona and Valencia. There is a recent article on Spanish absinthes in one of the inflight magazines which someone gace me, it purported to be a general absinthe article but the writer went nowhere but one red light district and talked to expat bar owners. His information was highly skewed, but there were lots of illos of absinthe posters with brand names I have never seen elsewhere. I will dig it up and post about it soon. Maybe scan a few of the illos.

People do not seem to keep absinthe at home in Spain. Or so Absintheur tells us.

I am given to understand there is a French absinthe underground but, I would have to admit that I know lots of Frenchmen who seem to think it's bad stuff. That's merely 90 years of propaganda.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 02:22 am: Edit

Does anyone know the history of the Spainsh absinthe tradition? It just seems so far removed from the French and Swiss in taste and texture. I know that Pernod opened there somewhat after the ban in France..when did it shut down and why? Curious to anyone actually visting the Deva distiller or any other one. I think Deva Absinthe is the black sheep of that company...I don't even think absinthe is that popular in Spain at all. I know that many people I know in France think it is terrible and won't get it at all. Any knowledge on this one out there?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation