Liqueurs in Italy?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Liqueurs in Italy?
By Bob_Chong on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Hob:

I've got a great limoncello recipe if you're interested.

BC

By Petermarc on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 11:44 am: Edit

try grappa made by gaja...make sure to have
amarone if you like very full, rich, almost sweet red wine and look for primativo in the south if you like zinfandel...

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 10:48 am: Edit

Pataphysician,

I love Sambucca but try the Limoncello, (especially if you near Naples and the Amalfi coast). They keep it in the freezer and serve it straight into the glass, it tastes like sweet lemons, just wonderful, the best way to finish a meal. It's really deceptive though, as you can drink loads of and then suddenly when you try to stand up you fall over.

As to Grappa, if you're there then you ought to try it and make up your own mind. Perhaps you'll come to a different conclusion than me. I think Grappa is more of a Northern Italian drink.

Italy is 2 very different countries. Skip the North of Italy and head South. The country is more beautiful, the people are friendlier, and the drinks are better, and the food is tastier. Although there is more corruption and more poverty in the South.

Hobgoblin

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 10:38 am: Edit

Dear pataphysician

Sambuca is anise and elderberry liqueur and is traditionally served with 3 coffee beans in it (as the flavors are complimentary) and beware: even numbers of beans are considered bad luck.

The best international label is the Sambuca made by the Galliano people and bottled similarly.

There may be better local Italian products.

I like Strega, it makes Galliano look like donkey piss.

Grappa is a rather raw marc brandy from lees and grapeskins, it is a leftover product. Don't expect subtlety; expect a lot of taste of the feedstock. And a hangover!

There are many many bootleg Italian liqueurs but you must spend time in the countryside and make friends, they are not sold commercially and they are very regional or local. There are Chartreuse like '100-herb' liqueurs of very high degree (like 160 proof) on the northern Adriatic coast (eastern coast of Italy on the way Trieste). Also lemon liqueurs of only 80 proof and pretty sweet.

By Pataphysician on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 10:07 am: Edit

My trip to France and Italy has turned into a trip to just Italy.

What are some good and unusual liqueurs/liquors that I'll find in Italy?

Anything pastis-like? I tried a cheap Sambuco and it showed promise, but was way sweet and one-dimensional. Perhaps there are more complex premium brands?

How about Grappa? Never had it, but it sounds like there is quite a variation among them.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation