Totalitarian? No Absinthe Content

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Totalitarian? No Absinthe Content
By _Blackjack on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

It wasn't sarcasm so much as irony. The lack of guns didn't cause this; it is a reflection of the same mentality that only trusts the government with guns, the view of the government as a stern but loving parent instead of an able but compliant servant.

By Artemis on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 08:09 am: Edit

"Anyway Artemis I take my hat off to you for a nice comeback to my remark."

Thanks. Actually, I've been reading about Mr. Straw for some time in the Usenet communications privacy groups - what an asshole!

And Blackjack's smiley-faced sarcasm aside, this is exactly what happens when you're disarmed, because when push comes to shove there will be nothing you can do about it. Bullet trumps ballot every time.

I don't want to start a big pissing contest again, so I'm out of it .... glad you guys enjoyed the link. I sincerely hope Lord H. is correct about the British people not swallowing this garbage.

By _Blackjack on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 07:43 am: Edit

Hell, I'm pretty sure some of this stuff would violate the human and civil rights provisions in the EU charter. It would be interesting to see how much power they actually hold.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 02:24 am: Edit

Artemis,

It was me who asked you that. Hell will freeze over before anybody DNA tests me against my will.

This is just Home Secretary Jack Straw (wanker) trying to curry favour with a certain section of the UK populous, (the hanging, flogging and lock you up without trial mentality) who think the police should be given all the powers they want.

This has no chance of becoming law because if the government tried to push there would be a huge revolt amongst back-bench Labour MPs, the Liberal Party MPs would be spitting blood (if it's possible for tame bunny rabbits to do such a thing), and the Conservative MP's would block it simply because a Labour government proposed it. And after the election next May the Labour Party will win with a much reduced majority, which will give the 'left-wing' MPs in his Party more influence so this proposal won't happen. And if the Labour majority is reduced so much so that (as Blair would dearly love) he has to work in partnership with the Liberal Party, the Liberal Party wouldn't swallow these proposals.

Anyway Artemis I take my hat off to you for a nice comeback to my remark.

Hobgoblin

By _Blackjack on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 12:33 am: Edit

Y'see, if you had guns, these things wouldn't happen...;)

I did have a conversation with a Brit on another forum who thought that police searching houses in high-crime areas for guns, without warrants, seemed an appropriate response...

By Timk on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 03:21 pm: Edit

If ALL that happened, then i would leave the U.K., as it is i think it highly unlikely because there would be the biggest riots you have ever seen!, and they would have to arrest / fine half the population.

Tim

By Artemis on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 11:42 am: Edit

Someone recently asked me in this forum if I would class the UK, among other places, with the "totalitarian" states.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0101/21/world/world2.html

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation