SC liquers tasting notes

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:SC liquers tasting notes
By Grimbergen on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Thanks!

By Melinelly on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 09:35 pm: Edit

ok, here goes...

Liquer: Manzanilla
Brand: Xoriguer
notes: this actually tastes a LOT like Mari Mayans and Deva. you can definitely see where the adaptation of absinthe into traditional spanish liquer comes into play. the bottle is clear, the liquid is deeply golden in color and a twig of chamomile is inside the bottle. it is also called "Licores de Malorca" on the label. the initial flavor and scent is anis. it goes down thick and smooth. after you've had several sips, the chamomile really opens up in the lingering aftertaste. wonderful. very nice nightcap. probably good with seltzer or soda over ice on a hot day.

By Tavis on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Hi,

Patxaran - I love this too,it's like a sloe gin, but instead of gin the sloes are macerated in anis. The Spanish drink this after a meal.

The Mari Mayans 'new' drink is probably Hierbas Ibicencas? - 'Ibizan herbs'. This is a traditional Ibizan drink as far as I know. I brought a minature back from a holiday years ago, but just assumed it was an iffy tourist buy and eventually threw i out without tasting it

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 07:35 pm: Edit

M:

Depends on what you're looking for. It ain't absinthe.

See marimayans.com for more info (a novel approach for finding stuff out, eh?).

BC

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 06:34 pm: Edit

It's JagerMayans

By Martin on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Well, can someone please tell me what the hell it is then? Is it even worth looking at?

-Martin

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Chonger you really know your shit, boiy!

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 07:36 am: Edit

The Mayans is NOT "new." Just a marketing ploy by SC. They have actually carried the stuff at SC for quite a while, as has been reported here months ago.

BC

By Martin on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 01:23 am: Edit

Has anyone seen the new Mari Mayans? I got an email from Federico the other day announcing a new Mari Mayans non-absinthe "herbs drink". I'm not sure if this is supposed to a pastis or something like chartreuse. I does sound interesting.

-Martin

By Grimbergen on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Hurry up with the manzanilla, I can't wait to hear about it.

Grim

By Melinelly on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 05:28 pm: Edit

someone earlier wanted ideas on what to buy from Spirits Corner other than absinthe since they have such a wide selection including many products not available statewide...

so why not start a thread where we post whenever we try something new specifically from SC?

i got several liquers with my last order. here are tasting notes on the couple ive tried so far:

Liquer: Patxaran
Brand: Etxecko
Notes: patcharan is a currant based liquer. it is sweet, but not too much so. VERY comparable to a nice sweet vermouth. smooth and herby with a nice currant/berry undertone and aftertaste. i drank it over ice, tastes like it will take well to lemons, and would add an interesting dimension to mixed drinks if substituted for sweet vermouth.

Liquer: Leche Rizada
Brand: ???
Notes: i can't remember which brand i ordered, and the bottle has only "Leche Rizada" on it. white bottle with lettered label depicting lemons and cream, with an odd black rubber top that fits over the cap and neck of the bottle. this is a wonderful drink!!! it's smooth and creamy, with a rich lemon flavor. consistency is not quite as thick as baileys or similar cream liquers. let it sit for a minute after pouring over ice. straight from the bottle it has a bite! but once it's cooled down on the rocks, man is it smoooooth and deeeelicious!

i also bought a 3yr old white cuban rum and a bottle of manzanilla (chamomile liquer) which i've yet to try. tasting notes will follow =)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation