Attention ADMIN

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Attention ADMIN
By Artemis on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 11:04 am: Edit

And I agree, giving people ample opportunity to take back what they said is a GOOD thing, especially in this place, where warning shots are often fired to the back of the head.

By Artemis on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 11:00 am: Edit

I've figured it out. What used to work even with JAVA disabled, does not now work unless you enable JAVA. Ain't no big thing.

As to the curse, you may be on to something ...

By Admin on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:58 am: Edit

It's only really necessary for troll control. Which, like I said, is more or less moot now. But even then, most seasoned trolls use aol or somesuch, which is virtually untrackable unless you really want to go back to them thru their ISP.

By Admin on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:56 am: Edit

hehe, Artemis, I think you are just cursed.

By Artemis on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:56 am: Edit

Sorry, it still doesn't work. I'm using Netscape, which always worked before, even with JAVA and JAVA script disabled.

xxx

I see what's up ... you have to have JAVA enabled for it to work. NOT good! But whatever makes it easier on you is okay with me Kallisti, I can always edit in a word processor, which I usually do anyway.

Kind of wonder why tracing ISPs is necessary though ........

By Admin on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:55 am: Edit

Oh, and I've upped the edit your own posts feature up to 6 hours, which I believe should also apply to using the edit link next to your message.

It is a good thing if people can edit something that my come across badly. If it's too revisionist, then we will be able to tell, won't we?

Besides, I get email notification of all posts (and you can too) and this is always the original version that is posted. If you're worried about it, just email me.

By Artemis on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:52 am: Edit

Still trying to preview.

Revising the message - will try to preview for a second time ....

By Artemis on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:50 am: Edit

Trying to preview

By Admin on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:49 am: Edit

I'm not sure what kind of problem yer having Artemis, as you see, it worked for me using a test account. Most peculiar. Try testing with a different browser or something and let us know how that works.

The spelling thing is most certainly a javascript blocking problem, as that feature connects to an outside third party to do it's thang.

Most of the fundamental updates to the forum are on the admin side, so you wouldn't necessarily see all the wonderful benefits I'm getting. hehe. But it does give me more control over the forum's look and feel, which I've only barely putzed with. I can also do IP tracking which I couldn't before without splattering the whole forum with IP addresses. Which is kind of moot since we are all registered and friendly now. But some of the screwey things like search functions were fixed. But to you all, it is essentially the same.

1) preview

2) preview

3) and I'm three times a lady.

By Test3 on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:42 am: Edit

this is Kallisti, testing the preview feature.

I haven't had this problem with previews, but maybe because I am admin. So I'm gonna test using this post.

1) preview post

2) preview post

3) preview post

4) preview post as joe shmo!

By Artemis on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:21 am: Edit

"the 'Edit' facility sorts this out. You can edit your post after you have posted it."

That was always true, and I've used that feature.
But *in addition* to that, we used to be able to preview it any number of times before posting and that capability is gone. Editing after it's been posted is a poor substitute for that feature.

As to the spellchecker, nothing happens when I hit that button, maybe because I don't allow Java or Java Script. IMO, I see no improvement whatsoever in this new forum over the old one. Just different, not better, and in some ways worse.

By Martin on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

Spell-Check is for sissies.

-M.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 07:25 am: Edit

Artemis,

the 'Edit' facility sorts this out. You can edit your post after you have posted it.

Although the down side of this is that people could go back at a later date and edit their posts in order to deny that they had made a certain comment. Surely no forumites would be this underhand but who knows? If someone's getting thrashed in an argument, they could simply go back, edit a previous post and then accuse the other person of being mistaken and that you never made that point in the first place.

Also from a selfish UK point of view the spell-check facility corrects according to American spelt English and is a bit of a pain if you spell in UK English. So apologies to fellow forumites for not using it. I'm not knocking the facility as the majority of posters are from the USA so fair enough.

Hobgoblin

By Artemis on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 06:14 am: Edit

What's up with the "Preview/Post Message" button?

It used to be we could preview, edit and correct a prospective post any number of times before hitting the final "post" button.

Now, you get exactly one crack at previewing and editing, and if you hit the "Preview" button again, the post hits the street - no more preview. Very irritating - it needs to be corrected - unless I'm missing something?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation