Archive through January 13, 2001

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:Fresh batch of updates:Archive through January 13, 2001
By Bluedog1 on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 06:21 am: Edit

Kallisti;

I'll buy at least 2

By Artemis on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 12:57 am: Edit

"There is an abnormally high cancer rate where I live."

Ditto Louisiana, in fact, highest in the country I believe. In addition to their own pollution, they have to suffer the crap dumped into the Mississippi River all the way from Minnesota on down.

"My city is pretty bad, but I'm not sure how it compares to NOLA... I've never been there, but I heard the whole place is like a sewer.. that doesn't sound too appealing."

It's sort of like a beautiful whore with bad personal hygiene. You might just love her anyway. In her defense, she's surrounded by swamps and below sea level to boot - not a whole lot she can do about it.

By Martin on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 07:14 am: Edit

Kokomo is nasty and polluted. It was fun watching all that contaminated dust fly into the air when they knocked down the old Continental Steel mill. Some friends got pictures of it. The dust was quite spectacular. I wonder how long it'll be before any of them get lung cancer?

There is an abnormally high cancer rate where I live.

oh yeah, and the ground caught fire once close to where the steel mill was. It burned for 14 years.

It is also said that there is a small lake of toxic waste somewhere close to that area. I've never seen it myself.. those places are fenced off and hard to get to. That whole area is considered a "Super Fun" site... and it's right smack dab in the city.

My city is pretty bad, but I'm not sure how it compares to NOLA... I've never been there, but I heard the whole place is like a sewer.. that doesn't sound too appealing.

-Martin

By Artemis on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 05:18 am: Edit

>>Impractical due to air pollution laws..."

"Good points all, but since when did the Sportman's Paradise start obeying (or even writing)pollution laws?"

Bob, I think the laws in question are Federal, but as to writing/obeying pollution laws, your point is well taken; Louisiana as a whole doesn't take those things too seriously. I'm sure about the rest of the reasons, but I confess to going on assumption as to air pollution laws being one of them, for the decline in cane burning. More likely, there are liability concerns. Farmer smokes up highway, schoolbus full of chillen crashes into garbage truck ....

By Bob_chong on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 03:54 am: Edit

"Impractical due to air pollution laws..."

Good points all, but since when did the Sportman's Paradise start obeying (or even writing) pollution laws?

By Artemis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 11:20 pm: Edit

"Not to play My City Sucks Worse Than Your City"

Why not? People like to play that.

My brother, who was born & raised near NOLA as I was, spent many years as a cop in Washington DC. He told me that although summer in DC is indeed a bitch - it can get hot and it can get humid, it ain't a guaranteed for certain every single day straight-razor totin' bitch like summer in Louisiana.

As to 16.6 inches of snow, shit, this winter we got that with the first two snowfalls near Chicago and it snowed about a dozen times after that. All this before Christmas. For almost a month we had temperatures not out of the teens except at night, when they dropped to single digits. My two cities can whip your city anytime. The Romans suck! No, the Celts suck! (Oops, wrong thread)

By Artemis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 11:09 pm: Edit

"I would have never guessed burning cane fields, b/c the same activity in Hawaii smells nothing like it."

Neither does the same activity in Louisiana. I was trying to point this out politely, but it apparently didn't take, so, to be a little more forceful:

TED IS WRONG ON THIS ONE!

Burning sugar cane fields do not stink unless you don't care for the smell of burning leaves or burning sugar. Now, if anybody can come up with a scientific reason why burning sugar cane in Louisiana should smell any different than burning sugar cane in Hawaii, I'd like to hear it.

Apart from that, New Orleans is quite a distance from any sugar cane field (across the river in St. Charles Parish is probably the closest one), and any smell carried to the city would be pretty faint. Apart from that, burning the fields is an old-time agricultural practice, rendered unnecessary by modern equipment, and impractical due to air pollution laws - almost nobody does it anymore. With all due respect to Ted, sugar cane cultivation is literally in my blood. Burning fields is NOT the answer to that stink.

"I always thought it was the river or garbage or some factory somewhere."

And you're probably right.

"Mystery solved."

Sorry, NOT. Still one of America's Unsolved Mysteries.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Here in Madison, we just had about 3-4 weeks where the temperature never got even close to above freezing, plus about 40 inches of snow. Now, the winter is about to begin...

K.

By _blackjack_ on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

Mea culpa.

I found some humidity data, and it appears the afternoon humidity in NO is about 10% higher than DC overall for the year, and about 12% higher during the summer months. So your summers do, indeed, suck more.

Only 13 sub-freezing days a year, tho...wimps...

By _blackjack_ on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 10:07 am: Edit

Not to play My City Sucks Worse Than Your City, but, well, it does.

The average high temperature for July in New Orleans is, indeed, 3 degrees higher than Washington, DC (91 v. 88), but your low temperature in January is 15 degrees warmer than ours (43 v. 28), so we get a broader range of suckitude. Our highest recorded temperature is 2 degrees higher than yours. We also get 16.6 inches of snow a year, while you almost never see the stuff. I can't find any data on humidity, but it can't be MORE humid than it is in DC, since the scale only goes up so high. Both cities are sitting on swamps and get biblical deluges almost every afternoon during the summer.

To NO's credit, they do have twice as many 90-degree-plus as DC, but we get 5-and-a-half times the sub-freezing days.

Oddly, it seems the average temp in Austin is lower than both DC and NO, tho their records are higher and there hot season longer.

Hey, Don. How's the weather in Thailand?

(all numbers taken from weatherbase.com)

By Bob_chong on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 06:30 am: Edit

Wow--cool, Ted. Thanks! I knew it wasn't the bodies but never bothered to decipher what it actually was. I would have never guessed burning cane fields, b/c the same activity in Hawaii smells nothing like it. I always thought it was the river or garbage or some factory somewhere. Mystery solved.

As for other strange smells when the wind blows the wrong way--I grew up 10 miles from a corn oil refinery. Whew. Smells like potato chips but not potato chips.

BC

By Artemis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 06:26 am: Edit

Actually, I always enjoyed the smell of the burning cane fields (picture overdone cotton candy). They burn the already-cut cane to rid it of leaves so they won't have to deal with the leaves at the mill. Driving through the smoke is a bitch, though if you live among the cane fields, which I did until I was 18.

In this vein, I think Don will forgive me for excerpting an email exchange we had today:

Don: If 2200 lbs of veggie matter isn't scary what is?

Artemis: 2200 tons of bagasse. Do you know what bagasse is? It's the peelings and pulp from sugar cane after the juice has been extracted. It used to lie in big piles outside sugar mills in Louisiana. STINKUM !! They process it to make paper products, but while it accumulates in a mountain outside the mill, it ferments, rots, attracts flies, sprouts mushrooms, etc.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 04:33 am: Edit

"And how about when the wind blows the wrong way and the whole place smells like...that fake-buttery-rotting-smell?"

That odor is from the burning of harvested sugar cane fields, which are 20-30 miles away. That only happens during harvesting season.

By Admin on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 02:53 am: Edit

Nice thread, it's made me realize how many nolaites we've got on the forum.

But ... hoooo-ey! There's nothing worse than the quarter in summertime. I worked on Chartres, and that was bad enough, but make your way up towards Bourbon and yer in fer a treat. The sour booze/vomit/piss/rotting meat odor baking in the summer heat is the most noxious smell ever. And the garbage trucks picking up every morning all the above trash ... I was walking to work one morning after a particularly festive evening and one of those trucks spilled about a ton of that greazzy slop right in the middle of the street. Hot damn. Almost lost it right there.

Luckily, we lived in the Lower Garden District and had a lovely courtyard (favorite New Orleans feature), we'd sit out there making pitcher after pitcher of frozen margaritas & pink gin fizzies (not the ramos kind, some other recipe from mom).

You don't need much money to live in New Orleans, just a courtyard, a blender, and ac in the bedroom.

Have I mentioned the frozen ouzo at greek fest? Just like candy.

By Bob_chong on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 02:34 am: Edit

We always referred to the summer in NOLA as the stinking heat, or "the stink" for short.

And how about when the wind blows the wrong way and the whole place smells like...that fake-buttery-rotting-smell? We used to tell greenhorns that smell was the bodies ("buried" above ground).

BC

By Artemis on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 01:17 am: Edit

To be fair, the power n' light shows put on by the summer thunderstorms, which DO make it in off the Gulf, or pop up spontaneously due to the intense heat, are a wonder to behold.

First comes a wind that makes you feel you could fly if you just spread your arms, and clouds "blacker than God-damn" as old Cajun folk used to say, and the RAIN! Not everybody likes rain, but I love it. It seems Kallisti is into it - Kallisti, your description of rain out of nowhere put me in mind of the scene from Ann Rice's "Lasher" where the flowers from the church altar come raining out of the air!

I remember a Good Friday when it rained 13 inches in 24 hours. I went to see some people whom I knew had been rained out of work and found them gathered in a shed with a tin roof (rain on a tin roof!), boiling crawfish and getting f****d up. This at 9 or so in the morning. I remember the Japanese plums, washed off the tree by the deluge and floating like bright egg yolks in the pond that had been created under my mother's J. plum tree.

Is NOLA a special place? Yes, ma'am. Before the Saints playoff game with the Rams, the Superdome was exorcised by a Voudoun priestess, down on the field, complete with large serpent. Ever seen that at any other football game?

By Black_rabbit on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 12:22 am: Edit

I was in NOLA in December, and it was hot. The thought of the summer there... wow.

By Midas on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 11:43 pm: Edit

I must admit, I was in NOLA in the middle of summer, and it was very very hot. I became accustomed to having a layer of sweat covering my entire body whilst I was away from the air conditioner in the hotel. Here, we've been having one of the hottest summers in years. My trick is to wear silk shirts. It's one of the cooler materials around, and makes life a little more comfortable.
Oh, and blackjack's right. I think it was in a review of a Joy Division album that the term "gothic" was coined to describe a modern musical style.
-Robert.

By Daedelus on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 01:32 pm: Edit

I split my time growing up in Houston and Port Aransas Tx. I know far too well the dreadfulness of humidity. At least in Houston there is nothing worth a damn to do outside so you don't really notice the humidity. In Austin there is the same humidity problem plus a lot of things to do and places to go that are of the exterior variety.

daedelus

By Thegreenimp on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 12:33 pm: Edit

If you think Austin is Hot and Humid, drive down to Houston, our little piece of heaven on earth here, can change your opinion quick.
I believe Houston is the most airconditioned city in the country.
Regards
Jay in Houston

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 07:14 am: Edit

"Cooling breezes off the Gulf." LOL. That's a good one.

Good indeed. Trust me, I was born and raised within 35 miles of NOLA and NEVER has a "cooling breeze off the gulf" struck that city except during a hurricane, and those usually happen in September when the heat has broken anyway. You have to be a hell of a lot closer to the gulf than New Orleans to feel ANY breeze whatsoever off the gulf. You would have to be in Grand Isle, at the mouth of Bayou Lafourche, or Venice, near the mouth of the Mississippi River. People who think there are hotter places in the U.S. than New Orleans have obviously never spent a whole summer, let along summers, there. I saw a rap group from NOLA on MTV once - their CD was titled "400 Degrees Farenheit" or some such - that tells the story.

By Bob_chong on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 07:00 am: Edit

"Cooling breezes off the Gulf." LOL. That's a good one.

BC

By Daedelus on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 06:36 am: Edit

I was just about to say that Austin could give NOLA a run for it's money in the heat and humidity department. This summer we had three days straight of 110+ degree days. We topped out at 115°. Luckily that week the humidity was an incredibly low 20%. Usually it hovers around 80% during the summers. And we get zero cooling breezes off the Gulf, unlike NOLA.

daedelus

By _blackjack_ on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 06:14 am: Edit

Quote:

New Orleans is the only place I've been during the summer where you can be standing stock still, without previous excertion, and sweat through your shirt in 10 minutes.

Washington, DC and Austin, TX are that bad. Washington also has winters almost as bad an New York.

By _blackjack_ on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 06:11 am: Edit

Quote:

They're probably one of my favourite groups, do people consider them Goth?

Joy Division were, in fact, the first group to which the label was applied, albeit somewhat facetiously.

By Admin on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 03:24 am: Edit

Yeah, one time I got off the streetcar (with umbrella) and walked the two blocks to my house. With the gusts, by the time I got to my porch, water was running off of me in rivers. 5 minutes in it and even my underwear was wet (shaddup, all of you!). I've never been so drenched in my life. And that was WITH an umbrella.

My neighborhood flooded once a year. I had to walk 4 blocks in knee to thigh deep water to get to my house. (watch out for snakes!) But when I got there, my roommates and neighbors were all waving at me from the porch. Anything is cause for celebration and we spent the rest of the afternoon/evening on the porch blaring Nancy Sinatra and Yma Sumac playing "name that piece of trash floating down the middle of the street" and watching the rats get flooded out of the sewers.

Oh GAWD I miss New Orleans. I came back to SF to earn a living, but I miss it terribly.

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 03:04 am: Edit

Yeah Kallisti, I got caught in one of those storms too. Me and my mate were soaked through within seconds. Then we walked into the covered moon walk shopping mall and nearly froze to death with the AC. Got some really funny looks from all the cool dry people who thought we were a couple of bums who had been swimming the Mississippi.

By Admin on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 02:54 am: Edit

New Orleans is the only place I've been during the summer where you can be standing stock still, without previous excertion, and sweat through your shirt in 10 minutes. It's all about moving from one air conditioned venue to another.

And once, when I was standing in the middle of St. Charles waiting for the streetcar, it was so humid that I saw it rain out of thin air. Not a cloud in the sky, nary a hidden sprinkler, but rain, right in the middle of the street.

But the summer storms are spectacular. Thank heavens for the porches of New Orleans, I spent whole summers dashing out to the porch to watch the deluge. The lightening & thunder is unreal.

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 02:42 am: Edit

Artemis, I can concur with your comments on the heat. The only time (so far) that I have been to New Orleans was in August. People from the US thought I was mad to be going at that time of year(it was a conference, there was no choice in the timing) and muttered about it being hotter than the Devil's breath. Since I spend every winter in India I wasn't too bothered until I got there. Being a limey with that odd habit we have of wanting to walk rather than wait for a taxi I got through a couple of t-shirts a day.

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 02:15 am: Edit

"I hope all that wasn't too tedious.
-Robert."

No, most informative, as were the other responses.

"I've done about seven Australian summers in black. I don't notice it anymore."

Yes, I was exagerating, but not much. With all due respect, although I've not been to Australia, I've been a lot of places and none of them have summer heat as debilitating as Louisiana. It's not just the temperature, it's the combination of temperature and humidity that seems to suck the life out of you.

By Tavis on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Whilst we're on the subject, there's a new Gothic/Goth book out, called (oddly enough) 'Gothic' by Richard Davenport-Hines. It's a study of Gothic and Goths, and has received very good reviews here in the UK. I was tempted to buy it, until I saw that it included bits on modern Goths, whereas I would be mostly interested in the parts on historical figures and architecture. I'm not sure why, but I have something against groups, not a hatred but possibly a phobia, so I decided not to buy it.

I'm listening to Joy Division at the moment - the disc with 'Closer' on it from the 'Heart and Soul' box set. They're probably one of my favourite groups, do people consider them Goth? I wouldn't consider them thus personally, though I suppose they could at least be considered a musical influence to Goths?

'Atmosphere' - mmmm, overplayed maybe but still a classic.

By Germanandy on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 07:20 pm: Edit

back in the early 80's we used to call it new wave or new romantic, that's when i was in that scene.
we where not as "crazy" as the goth's today.
it was something unusual in these days to wear black clothes and have your hair colored black or fire red or blue and so on, but the times are changing.
we heard music like the cure, einstürzende neubauten, tuxedo moon and all that stuff.
just wanna say that :-)

By Midas on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Random thoughts:

1: There is no definitive answer to "What is Goth?" Ask a hundred people, and you'll get a hundred different answers. For me, and this is only my opinion, it is an aesthetic and philosophical attitude that takes the morbid, the ugly, the misunderstood and the old and makes it beautiful. As a good friend of mine said once, "Sex, Death and Eyeliner".It is a descendant of the punk movement, as can clearly be heard on early Siouxsie (who admittedly was punk, but embraced more fully by the gothic audience. She refuses to call herself or her music "gothic". Fair enough, but I beg to differ), Christian Death, Skeletal Family, X-mal Deutschland, Specimen etc., but modern goth is slowly but surely moving away from it's roots in the punk movement. Industrial and electro beats are by far more common now than heavy bass lines and vocals with over-pronounced vowels (though this style is still around. See Suspiria, London After Midnight, Diamanda Galas, The Baroness and Drama Of the Spheres).
Gothic fashion is also evolving. It is different in London than it is in New Orleans, or Sydney, or Budapest, or Berlin, but there seems to be a shift towards orientalism and eastern style. This combined with corsetry (a must. I have five), hair extensions, pvc, lace, and the odd dab of make up applied with a spatula combine to form the basis of the contemporary gothic fashion trend.
There is a beauty in the bizarre and the grotesque. There is captivating beauty in the way candle light plays on the surface of a coffin. Or in the sensation of a tightly laced corset. Or knowing that you are truly living the way that feels right for you.
That, in my opinion, is Goth.

2."A summer or two under the southern Louisiana sun would cure you guys of wearing black t-shirts, I think." -I've done about seven Australian summers in black. I don't notice it anymore.

3."Heck, man, I laugh at the vampires. There is a difference between being odd and being delusional." - Me too. That is, the ones who are truly convinced they are the walking undead. 18th C. "vampire" inspired clothing can look quite good, depending on how it is worn.
The little kids who are convinced Marilyn Manson is god, and get around with lunch boxes, crayon make up, and a holier than thou attitude calling it goth are the ones I truly can't stomach. That reflects on the entire scene in a bad light.

Sorry, this post is longer than I intended. It's a sublect that is very difficult to summarise. Akin to "Define your existence and motivations behind musical preference, aesthetics and personal belief system in fifty words or less". I hope all that wasn't too tedious.
-Robert.

By Head_prosthesis on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I did a silk screen once. It didn't turn out so well.

I got my fine arts degree at CCS in Detroit. We didn't have a screen arts class where I could hone my technique at the "silk-sieve".

I can make you one bad ass head prosthesis though!

By Melinelly on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 08:29 am: Edit

with all the different people on this board, you'd think there'd be someone out there dabbling in silkscreening etc. who might be willing to offer her/his services...

come on, step up to the plate!

=)

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 07:39 am: Edit

I'd go with the logo on an orange shirt
actually... halloween is about as goth as it
gets!

By _blackjack_ on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 07:24 am: Edit

Midas:

I looked into sphynxes (sphynges?), but they are absurdly expensive, even for purebred cats, and I have trouble shelling aout a few grand for a cat when there are so many cats in need of homes. Maybe when I'm rich...

Artemis:

There is no more a proper definition of "goth" than there is of "punk." Anybody who gets too hung up on the labels has clearly missed the point. It can describ, but is not limited too, music and culture with a focus, often whimsical, on the darker, taboo, or morbid aspects of life. Think Edward Gorey. Think Addams Family. Think Johnny Cash...

Siouxsie and the Banshees were one of the first bands to whom the term "gothic" was applied, albeit as an adjective. She looks like this:
siouxsie

Don:
Heck, man, I laugh at the vampires. There is a difference between being odd and being delusional.

By Admin on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 02:43 am: Edit

Quote:

Also, make sure you have a high res version of that pic! I'm not a pro, but I'd say 300 dpi at the least...

Trust me, I'm a designer. Not only here, but in real life.

I was fantasizing about having them done for the NOLA gathering, but I'm being too ambitious I think. To do them right I'll have to start saving. With all the obvious interest it'll be worth waiting in order to get it right.

Ian, your shirt tickles me and makes me happy.

btw - here's a mockup of it on white
image/jpegWhite Mockup
mockup5whiteb.jpg (11 k)
, its not all that bad. But I think black lends itself much better to the design.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 02:02 am: Edit

I really like Siouxsie's music, always have. I've enjoyed it since she was a contemporary of Adam and the Ants. But I guess I'm missing something - there is a direct relationship between her and "Goth"? I'm not even sure what she looks like.
No doubt Nephilim could have educated me on this as he drools over her.

I never saw a cat I didn't like, but unfortunately none of the five who currently live with me are solid black and three of them lose hair badly.

The coffin table sounds cool. As long as I've brought it up, what is the definition of "Goth"? Ignorant minds want to know.

By Artemis on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 01:33 am: Edit

"White is for underwear, as someone else said."

Okay, now I understand why all underwear is white. I always wondered about that.

A summer or two under the southern Louisiana sun would cure you guys of wearing black t-shirts, I think. But apparently some of you don't come out in the daylight, anyway. Should I wear a garland of garlic to the NOLA gathering over my white Budweiser t-shirt?

As to black reflecting the soul, well, maybe your soul. Not mine.

By Midas on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 10:46 pm: Edit

blackjack, hairless rats are fabulous! Mind you, after getting my snake I've never really looked at mice and rats the same way. hairless being the exception. People often ask me if I've shaved my cat. I had one lady ask if he'd had a perm...
I'm looking into possibly getting a Sphinx (a la Mr Bigglesworth from Austin Powers). They (and Rexes for that matter) look like little gargoyles when they're kittens, and they grow up to be very statuesque and beautiful animals.
You'll never go past a Rex for an affectionate cat though. Bentley starts purring as soon as you walk through the door.
-Robert.

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 08:19 pm: Edit

That design would have to go on black otherwise it will look very odd. Incidentally not all iron-ons are crap, they are just expensive unless you are doing a really small run. I found some absinthe green T-shirts a while ago and printed Kallisti's old forum logo on one (I didn't sell any, for my own amusement only) the picture here was taken 18 months after the shirt was printed and it is still going strong.

t-shirt

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 08:17 pm: Edit

came up in duplicate

By Lowlight on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 07:13 pm: Edit

White is for underwear, as someone else said. Green on black would look better than green on white.

I also wouldn't mind a dark dark green as well.

Forget any other colour though... I'll say again though: SILK SCREEN OR NOTHING!

Also, make sure you have a high res version of that pic! I'm not a pro, but I'd say 300 dpi at the least...

By Don_walsh on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 06:45 pm: Edit

While my Goth affiliations have been exagerated by the truly ignorant, I will admit that Goths do find themselves cozy around Scene people as we also tend to wear dark colors (if not always black) and we are open minded and do not giggle at vampires. To each his own. Scene people are not judgemental.

By _blackjack_ on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Devon Rexes are soooo cute!

I have hairless rats...

By Marc on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 05:29 pm: Edit

White t-shirts aren't fashion, they're underwear. Make mine black.

By Midas on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 05:09 pm: Edit

"You aren't, like, GOTHS or something, are you?"
Well, personally, I've been living in black for seven years, I DJ at goth/industrial clubs, I run a gothic music show, I went halfway 'round the world to attend the Whitby Gothic Weekend. Twice. Our coffee table is a full size mahogany coffin, and I nearly fainted when I had a conversation with Siouxsie Sioux, so I guess the answer is yes, though I prefer the term 'chromatically challenged'.
And as for the black clothes and cat hair dilemma, I have a Devon Rex, so no problems here.
-Robert.

By Morriganlefey on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 02:25 pm: Edit

I'd get one - and DEFINITELY cast my vote for noir.

- M

By Head_prosthesis on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 11:33 am: Edit

While white reflects the colours of the ink, black reflects the colour of the soul.

Yes it hides stains but it also hides black cat hair too.

The only white t-shirts I wear are the Big Boy and the one with a HUGE head shot (black ink line art) of none other than Soul Brother #1, Mister Please-Please, The Godfather of Soul, The Hardest Woking Man in Showbusiness... Ladies and Gentlemen I give to you "Mr. James Brown" huhhhh!!!

They both have pompadours.

Do I have a point? No.

By _blackjack_ on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 10:43 am: Edit

Quote:

You aren't, like, GOTHS or something, are you?

Ahem...

There are several very practical reasons for wearing black. You don't have to seperate loads. Your clothes always match. It's slimming. If you're a slob and you spill something on yourself it doesn't show. Did I mention it's slimming?

By Artemis on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

What's up with the craving for BLACK shirts?

Black looks like crap in the daytime. You can see every speck of lint, dandruff, hair, dust, etc. I wouldn't have a black car for the same reason - it always looks dirty.

Do you all hang out in caves or something?
What's wrong with white? You aren't, like, GOTHS or something, are you?

By Fluid on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 06:42 am: Edit

I used to screen shirts, and yes, it is more expensive. While a single pass will work well on white shirts, if you try to single-pass light green onto black, it'll look like dark green. That's also why black screened shirts are heavier than white ones.... all that extra ink.

By Lowlight on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 05:33 am: Edit

You said printing on white is cheaper than black... If you silk screen, it should be the same cost.

If you go to the mall and do an iron on, white is the only colour you can use. Iron on is cheap (usually $5 over the cost of the shirt) but it looks just nasty, especially after you wash them a couple times.

So, if you silk screen it on a BLACK T-Shirt, I'd be interested in buying one.

By Timk on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 01:33 am: Edit

Of course we would have to see a picture of kallisti wearing the prototype version with her hobnail boots and scimitar : - )

btw im in for one : = )

Tim

By Black_rabbit on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 12:58 am: Edit

Black (or green...) would be good, I'm in.

By Head_prosthesis on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 01:14 pm: Edit

I'm in for a shirt.

Could it say on the back "Kicking Martin's Ass Daily"

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 01:08 pm: Edit

What what?

By Head_prosthesis on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

What?

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 12:55 pm: Edit

what, to go along with the 666 all ready
tatooed there?

By Martin on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Neck nothing! I want mine across my forehead.

-M.

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 11:59 am: Edit

I think tatoos would be more indicative of all
our dedication... right on the neck too!

By Don_walsh on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

Why insist on a US made T-shirt to celebrate absinthes that are ALL made outside the USA?

(Even though ours are at least MADE by Americans, exclusively.)

By Martin on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

I want my t-shirt to be American-made... I don't mind if it costs a couple dollars extra.

-Martin

By Don_walsh on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 10:42 am: Edit

Kallisti, T-shirts are easy to have made very inexpensively here, in black, the main problem being that cotton is a minor pain to import into US due to quotas. But, I have a friend in Berkeley who does so routinely, commercially. So we may be able to save you some $$.

I hope you will do XXL+ sizes so I can wear one, or else hold a tent revival.

By Gadfly on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 10:16 am: Edit

Not fond of t-shirts but I'd be willing to pay a decent
amount for a polo style shirt.

Anyone else like that idea?

By _blackjack_ on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 09:13 am: Edit

Heck, an absinthe T-shirt would probably be the LEAST offensive t-shirt I own.

By Admin on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 09:11 am: Edit

Cotton! You betcha!

By Pikkle on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 08:59 am: Edit

Are they going to be all cotton or 50/50?

By Admin on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 08:27 am: Edit

Thanks for all your interest!!!

I've got my heart set on black BUT it is possible that, due to the prohibitive cost of printing, I may have to go for white as there are more cheaper and easier ways to do that than there is for black.

The URL will be just below the image, same width and will just be "http://www.sepulchritude.com" as the actual url to la Fée Verte is too long, hehe ... and I will post final design image when and if I can pull this off.

Thanks for playing!

By Cheese on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

I would like one. What will the position and size of the URL be? Any ideas or can you post a finalized image when you are ready?

Josh

By Fluid on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 07:19 am: Edit

well Daedelus,

I wouldn't wear it around Southern France (see La Fee availability in France?).

I also agree with Midas, it should be black. And I'll certainly take one in any case, even if it does say "absinthe". Whatever, I'd just rather be more subtle (anyone in the know will get it anyway, and I'm not into being a booster)... it's only a preference.

fluid

By Joalco on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 06:32 am: Edit

You can count me in on that one, too. Black preferably. A great idea!

By Germanandy on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 06:12 am: Edit

i forgot to say, as big as possible i am nearly 2 meters tall, thank you :-)
and i don't mind the color.

andy

By Martin on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 05:21 am: Edit

Count me in... black or white (though black would be preferred.. of course).

-Martin

By Melinelly on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 05:02 am: Edit

i'd buy

By Artemis on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 03:03 am: Edit

I want at least one. I prefer white to black myself (cat hair in my household).

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 03:03 am: Edit

I'm interested in the shirt...sign me up.

By Daedelus on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 01:40 am: Edit

I second Midas' motion.

And it damn well better say absinthe on it also, to hell with those who would cast aspersions on an absinthe shirt.

Fluid, where would you not be able to wear an absinthe shirt? I would venture to guess that not that many people would even know what it meant?

Just curious.

And if it were printed on any other color shirt I would be interested still.

daedelus

By Midas on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 01:29 am: Edit

I'd be interested, so long as it was printed on a black t-shirt.

By Germanandy on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 11:37 pm: Edit

in case that you send one to germany, i'll take one too.

andy

By Fluid on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 11:33 pm: Edit

I'll take one as well, but I just assume it didn't say absinthe accross the top... that'll certainly limit where I can wear it

By Pikkle on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 09:09 pm: Edit

I'll take one...

By Admin on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I just did a whole new batch of updates to the guide, and a couple design inhancements to the rest of the site.

Mainly, I added Ted's reviews for Trenet, Hapsburg & Dedo (plus images), the la Fée spoon and a bunch of other little tweaky updates and links (thanks Justin for the German site!). I still need to add review for Kermann, that will go up soon.

I reVAMPED our poster girl on the front. Also, here's a question for ya:

I'm considering doing a small batch of tshirts and wanted to know how many folks would be interested. The price would be roughly $18-$20. Its very expensive to print small numbers of shirts but I've wanted to do them for a loooong time so I thought a small run of 36 to 72 shirts if folks are interested in them. It would pretty much be the front page image + url: Splash Image

Please post your interest!!!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation