Archive through January 13, 2001

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Jan 2001:What do you use to drink your Absinthe?:Archive through January 13, 2001
By Pikkle on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

Glasses I got at the dollar store, my Brita
water pitcher and NO SUGAR!

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 06:31 am: Edit

The Pontarlier Musuem makes a new spoon every year...this years is rather cool

spoon

Also the Pontarler Anis guys makes a few everyonce in a while..I have a few of them...

By Tavis on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 06:27 am: Edit

Spoon - SC cheapos or La Fee (slightly better).
Glass - modern 'bistro' glasses or a handmade green-tinged wine goblet made with recycled glass and with cool air holes all over the place.
Water pitcher - normally a 1.5 litre bottle of Evian, or if I feel in the mood a Ricard reproduction pitcher.

By Martin on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 06:57 pm: Edit

ha! I get most of my glassware at Meijer too! Do I sense another Midwesterner?

I like to use my promotional Pernod pastis glasses with painted dose marks. They work pretty well and have nice heavy bases. I also have a Sebor sipping pipe, which is great for sipping it neat over some ice.

I got these really cool glasses at Meijer, I can't remember the name of them, but they are shaped somewhat like a Martini glass but instead of the thin stem, it has a thick heavy base. Very cool looking and hard to spill (that starts to come in handy after the second drink).

I don't use a spoon because I almost never add sugar, sometimes I use a tea strainer (which I got at Meijer), sometimes I just use a regular spoon, which works pretty well but sometimes is hard to keep balanced. I plan on buying a couple of the cheap spoons from SC just to have.

I almost never use water. Most of the time I use Sprite and sometimes Fresca. If I use water, its pretty much just ice. I've also decided that I don't like the 5:1 ratio thing, I think its much better at a 1.5:1 or even 1:1 ... just enough to make it louche. 5:1, with water especially, I think really kills the taste.

-Martin

By Chrysippvs on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 04:31 pm: Edit

back in the day

spoon: flattened(with a brick..me absintheur!) fork
glass: fluted wine glass bought at garage sale
pitcher: old milk bottle at flea market

By Head_prosthesis on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 04:07 pm: Edit

I did the foil too. Then I carved out an apple and took a ball point pen and ... wait, that was something else.

I bought pilsner glasses from Meijer with a lip about 2 in. in diameter. Meijer also had a small pastry duster (not sure if that's the correct term) it was plastic with a removable metal screen. The screen sat perfectly on the rim of the glass. I picked up a water bottle with a straw spout there also. I use this to drip the water over the sugar.

The glasses are very fragile and I have broken a few of them. Fortunately they are only a dollar or two a piece.

By Perruche_verte on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Cheap "Absente" repro spoons, and one of the following:

"Absente" pastis glasses, or heavy footed tumblers resembling unetched "East" glasses, or "Tartan" pattern footed tumblers -- the pattern does indeed make an OK dose mark -- thanks to Pataphysician for the tip!

These last two are about $10/set of 4 at Target.

Oh, and I have a rather large Turkish coffee pot which lost its handle a while ago... it holds enough ice water for about two or three glasses.

By Melinelly on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 03:30 pm: Edit

at first, i did the "ritual" using pilsner glasses with mini pie tins (about 3 inches diameter) that i punched holes in the bottom of... tho when i only had one pie tin, i triple folded some aluminum foil and poked holes in it. no pitcher, but i used a plastic cup (so i could bend it as to prevent water spillage). LOL. sounds like a white trash absinthe ritual.

i don't take my drink with sugar anymore tho and dispense with formalities. i sometimes still use pilsner glasses, but i got these nifty little bistro-ish glasses for xmass that have a line about a third of the way up with the words "optimista" printed above it and "pessimista" below. i fill with absinthe to the bottom of the letters, then tap my brita for some h2o.

By Lowlight on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 02:31 pm: Edit

For those who can't find (or afford) original Absinthe glasses, spoons, etc, I am wondering; what DO you use as:

-your spoon
-your glass
-your water pitcher

Pics are very welcome!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation