New girl in town

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:New girl in town
By Anatomist1 on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 08:19 am: Edit

I think Twizzlers are "strawberry" flavored. Try Strawberry Schnapps, and I believe I saw Mad Dog 20/20 in Strawberry flavor. Never tried either myself.

K.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Star Anise and licorice are very similar especially if star anise is over used compared to a "correct" use of licorice root. Just sample modern Pernod Fils neat along neat Deva or Mari Mayans. The Pernod is a bit more sweet (partially becuase it has sugar pre-added) but the difference is rather subtle. I don't like Pernod, so I don't take kindly to most spanish absinthe.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Red "licorice" is a misnomer. It is red candy, but it contains no licorice. Through common (mis)usage, it has become known as red licorice. Weird.

Then again, go to Alabama and ask someone to get you a Coke. When they say, "What kind?" you may reply, "A Dr. Pepper," and no one will look at you funny.

BC

By Sprite on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Thanks anatomist, My mistake I assume, I was sure it was anise because my granny used to make homemade licorice drop cookies and she used anise and no licorice root. Maybe the two taste similar? Strange huh? All I can tell is deva sure had a hit me in the face black licorice flavor over and smell, and above any other flavor I could taste, and I thought anise was the main flavoring ingredient, so maybe I am incorrect. Thank for clarifying that. Still would be nice to find a red licorice flavor absinthe, but then getting me out of the bottle would be impossible. ;)

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 08:13 am: Edit

I believe liquorish (i.e., LICORICE)is flavored with licorice root, not anise.

K.

By Sprite on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Ok, here is my (absinthe)=virgin revue of deva....Now I don't have a silver tongue like the "tasters" on this board so I'll have to describe it simply....Lots of anise flavor, anise is used to make the flavor liquorish and at first that is very powerful! (A black liquorish candy lover would fall head over heels in love with this drink),Then a hint of lemon creeped in...well, I found out I needed lots of sugar at first, but the more I drank the less sugar I needed... I had 5 drinks. The first drink was the absolute best! My lips, tongue and gums went tingely numb, then a slight feeling of happy elation followed with the subsequent drinks, not at all like a heavy booze drunk at all. Actually I don't think I even got a booze type of buzz.... I was going to stop at the recommended 3 drink limit but for some reason the glass kept looking sad sitting there all empty....Such an odd liquor, odd enough to like to keep around for those days you just want something really different to enjoy. As far as I could tell I never had a secondary reaction or a booze feeling, but that initial feeling of numbing was very unique indeed! I would be interested in finding one with a slightly less bold anise flavor or maybe one with a red liquorish flavor? Yum!....excuse the typing errors if I have any, the spell checker seems fubared.

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 02:55 pm: Edit

If you open it and drink one glass, be sure that this doesn't stay alone for long - somehow this one empty little glass looks so sad, so helpless and lonely, how could I ever be so rude not to have another one?
;-)

By Sprite on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 02:39 pm: Edit

My deva arrived today! Yippee! Now the anticipation of opening the bottle!
Hubby says friday, I say tonight...we shall see ;)

By Fluid on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 11:29 am: Edit

LOL

By Dengar on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 11:24 am: Edit

Sorry! Couldn't resist... ;-)

By Dengar on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 11:24 am: Edit

SAW THAT SLOGAN IN AN AD FOR HILL'S, ABOUT A YEAR AGO!!! :-P

By Fluid on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 02:47 pm: Edit

psssssst!

shhhhhhhh

Since you came up with it without hearing of the Hill's advert, I'm happy to lose that story and go with yours... make it a good one

nudge nudge
wink wink

By Black_Rabbit on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Damn!

Well, I thought it was mine... why did they have to think of it first?

By Fluid on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 11:55 am: Edit

In an ad for Hill's?   ohhh sheeeez.   Wish it was Black_Rabbit's; it'd be a lot cooler (and repeatable!)

By Dengar on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 11:20 am: Edit

Saw that slogan in an ad for Hill's, about a year ago...

By Fluid on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 11:10 am: Edit

"Party like it's 1899"        LOL

I like it.  Didja come up with that yourself or has this been floatin' around?  Great theme for a party... heh heh heh

Fluid

By Black_Rabbit on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 10:07 am: Edit

Hi Sprite!

Everyone gets different results with secondary effects. Some don't even get them at all... I have picked them up from Sebors, Deva, Lasalla, Segarra, Montana.. but never Serpis or Mari Mayans.

Try a variety of brands, and welcome to our forum.

Party like it's 1899.

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Sprite, you have correctly ordered Deva first. My advice, and many on here will disagree, is that Deva and Serpis are the only ones that give the "secondary feeling". The feeling of Deva and Serpis are primary with me. They also taste best to me, sugar free. Will be curious to hear if you got a "secondary" or "primary" feeling from the Deva.

By the way, I have tried everything that SC has to offer, but not LeBleue's, La Fee, or any 2500.00 a bottle antique stuff. Have also tried the Czech Piss. LEAVE IT ALONE.

By Dengar on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 01:00 am: Edit

Sprite, many drink Deva with sugar. I don't, because without adding the sugar I still thinks it's too sweet. But that's just my opinion, it's just a matter of taste. When it comes to alcohol overall I usually prefer more "bitter stuff".

If you really like the ritual, go ahead! I know how that scene in Dracula can trigger you mind. If it wasn't for it, I probably wouldn't be here.

By Sprite on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 12:24 am: Edit

Thanks all for the different drink ideas! Since I am hearing that deva is so sweet, I guess my first will be just 1 to 5 with cold water..since,I am an absinthe virgin and really wanted to try it the original "romantic" way. I guess if it is not sweet enough I can always drop a cube of sugar in after the water without breaking any "sins" ...My "friend" emailed me to say the deva is on its way,
I have been in such anticipation! Every night
while falling asleep instead of counting sheep, its been fairies! (I know I won't see fairies by the way), but try telling that to my anticipation at 4am! Now, if I could just stop watching bram stroker's dracula for the absinthe scene over and over, it's just so romantic! *embarrassed silly grin* ...note: Sprites take romance seriously so please, don't tease the sprite ;)

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Absinthe and fresh orange juice. A great way to start the day.

Hobgoblin

By Martin on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 12:40 am: Edit

Ginger Ale is good with it... maybe even better than Fresca (maybe.....).

-Martin

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Yow, I think I need a vial of Insulin, just reading about that combination.......

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Ted, you get the hoods and robes, I'll get the cross and the gasoline...

By Petermarc on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

sounds like a pre-mix 'la suisesse'

By Hersaint on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 01:42 pm: Edit

I know this is going to cause an outcry with you traditionalists

but sometimes I drink my absinthe

with

wait for it

Cream Soda ....... (I feel ashamed and embarassed goodbye!)

By Pikkle on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 11:55 am: Edit

I must agree with Justin... any Spanish with sugar is a little too sweet... then again, I'm not sweet at all. Heh.

By Sprite on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Thanks again folks! I guess I'll taste it first, but I too am a sweet lover like Joshua is in his post ;)

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 06:24 pm: Edit

oy...Sugar with Spanish absinthe. You might as well drink out of the maple syrup bottle....

By Melinelly on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 05:06 pm: Edit

welcome to the forum, Sprite!

so far, Deva's my fav, tho i've only had spanish brands so far. i take it without sugar as for me there's plenty of sweetness in the drink already.

if you like chamomile, you should order a bottle of Manzanilla liquer when you check out SC. it's really nice. sweet and anis based chamomile liquer, only 30% so it's great on the rocks after a meal... or just anytime you feel like smiling =)

well, see ya 'round!

cheers,

emiliano

By Joshua on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 05:59 am: Edit

as for the sugar,i myslef prefer deva with 2 cubes,which i do really like sweetness,i even like a cube with pernod pastis.

By Sprite on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 01:15 am: Edit

Thanks for the comments everyone!... Let me see now, ...to:Chrysippys, Can handle house wrecked but never puppies!......to fluid: I thought those were metaphysical and philosophical posts, I suspected those are the long term home stillers? hehe....to: Bob Chong,sounds good but let me try this first and see if I even like absinth, k? ......to: BC I really know CC's online are safe but I just go into sweats entering my CC number online, its just a thing, but a bad panic after submit kind of thing, I would rather not endure, money orders make me feel all warm and toasty inside, and I'm old fashioned...i also like international money orders... but I noticed foreign sites want the daily conversion rate so it's impossible to buy that way by money orders. Paypal is cool, I can fund my account with a money order sent to them... I am trying to get therapy for this by the way, ;) and thanks about reminding me of Spirits Corner! From posts I have read they are number one, that spells good folk to me !.....to: Anatomist1, all the feds would want me for is maybe a night office clean up lady, Im that boring....to:Malhomme, ok no chech from mexico, we were hoping maybe some deva or better might have made it way there...about cloying? I'm sorry is that a real word? My conisure dictionary only consists of, WOW, Pretty good, and "Here honey you can have this!" ;)...to:Aion The CZECH ABSINTH 60% doesnt louch? What were they thinking! I'm a novice and the first thing that tantilized my urge to buy absinth was the louch and the methods! (I secretly only drink alcohol maybe 3 times a year) I like camomile but I'm not a bitter lover unless its worth it in the experiance, might try it later though, thanks!....... And to everyone thank you!
I appreciate all your posts and advice!

By Aion on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Hello Sprite,

CZECH ABSINTH is the new name of SEBOR Absinthe.
(the site www.czechabsinth.com is now the third party in the Sebor wars).
I ordered only a few weeks ago and they did excellent service, have better prices and accept credit cards.
The CZECH ABSINTH 60% is really not bad, for me better than the spanish brands Lasala=Herring or Montana.
It is quite bitter (much more than Deva is), it tastes herbal (camomile??) and the taste is not dominated by star anis. It does not louch.
This absinthe is worth a try, but please never try any other East-European brands if you don´t want to risk your health.

By Malhomme on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 10:57 pm: Edit

I like DEVA quite a bit, though there are tastier spirits to be had (even if not by very much) it's a consistant performer. I prefer it with a lump of A la Perruche sugar, though many forumites have said that they find the sugary taste cloying. Maybe I *am* one from the Pepsi Generation!? I especially like the undisolved sugary bits that stick to the bottom of my glass. So there you go ("I'd like some absinthe with my sugar, please?")

I agree with Justin regarding Czech "absinthe". There are so many other good absinthes out there why waste your time on Czech Windex.

Which brings me to "the ritual". Bear in mind that there are few currently manufactured premium absinthes that will benifit from a sugar/water drip... most absinthes are sweetened in the distillary... but it *is* hypnotic, and still excites me. I'm for it. The flaming cube method was supposedly developed by the Czechs to hide the bad taste of poorly produced "absinthe".

Oh, and SC rawks!!!

My $0.02
mal

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 10:13 pm: Edit

As much as I dislike saying it: Bob is right. Unless you are on the run from the feds for a political bombing in the sixties, there is no reason for such credit card paranoia -- especially with Spirits Corner. They are courteous and honest to a fault, and their record is beyond exemplary. I think there have even been cases of them sending out a shipment without confirmed payment, as they were confident the payor would settle up. You are more likely to be ripped off by your own mother than by Spirits Corner. Like he said, you could always arrange an international money order, or even fax the CC info for added security.

Whatever you do, don't buy any Czech swill from Mexico. If money is truly no object, roll up the bills you save and use them for cocaine straws.

K.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Sprite:

BTW--regarding your credit card hang-ups:

Why does paypal make you feel "safer"? Why is paypal a prerequisite?

If something bad happened to your credit card, here or abroad, you're responsible for only the first fifty bucks. That ain't no biggie (especially if you're buying $12 bottles of Deva for $100 from some charlatan you've met on the web, just because he had some magical paypal acct.). And have you actually looked at paypal's "insurance"? Looks like a bureaucratic nightmare of red tape and paperwork to recoup a loss anyway.

However, if you still remain paranoid about using a credit card internationally but would like to avoid the hilarious mark-ups of domestic resellers, you ought to contact Spirits Corner about sending them checks or money orders. They are very helpful and trustworthy (ask anyone here). Which is more than can be said for someone who sells Deva at 400-500% of its retail price.

BC

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 08:48 pm: Edit

"Money no object???"

I've got an unopened bottle of LaSala and a paypal acct. Please email me.

;-)

BC

By Fluid on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Hi Sprite,

I just had my second experience with Deva a week ago. If you look through the topics from the past few months you'll find tons of info on Deva including comments, pictures, ritual tips and oh... umm they're all mashed in-between political, metaphysical and philosophical posts... along with a lot of great, if not subtle, humor. Maybe some cynicism too, hmmmm. It's great reading.

About drinking absinthe, here's something I wish I'd read more than once from the forum faq: "The effect on the individual is subjective, and can best be described as a kind of heightened clarity of mind and vision, mildly ponderous and sparkling, and warmed by the effect of the alcohol. This seems to wear off after 20 or 30 minutes, leaving one with an alcohol buzz. 2-3 glasses seems to do the trick. More than that, depending on the proof of the alcohol, will just make you very drunk." (my emphasis)

Cheers,
Fluid                                     lol
ps. cool spell checker

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Don't buy Czech absinthe. It is the killer of puppies and the wrecker of homes.

By Sprite on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum... Up until 3 days ago I didn't even know absinth was still around to be had, I have learned so much from reading all of your comments and visiting all the places for absinth online, you are all so wonderful!

I wanted to try absinth for the first time and my
anniversay is coming soon! Feb 14th.
I don't like using credit cards on foreign sites
(just a hang up I have)...and I could not find any place in the USA or any foreign sites that accept
international payments through paypal.
I thought I was just stone cold out of luck, then lo and behold I was chatting with someone that had a liter of deva and a paypal account!
What are the odds! Yippee!

So,I just purchased my very first bottle of
Deva Absenta!!! I won't say how much I had to pay but it was one of those money no object,
gotta have it things, hehe....now I can't wait for it to be delivered! I choose the deva because I saw a thread here that asked what everyones top 3 favorites were and deva was mentioned often.

I hope this was a fairly good choice, since this will be my first taste ever, and I had to buy what I could find.

Now, Im just confused, because I have seen alot of posts that say deva is sweet enough for no sugar, but if it seems bitter to me, should I use the sugar cube or the spoon of flaming? sugar method..or just wing it? Seems like everyone had different opinions about the method.
Any advice?
Thanks! Sprite~

Ps. If it turns out I like absinth...later I hope to aquire that new one: ¨CZECH ABSINTH STRONG 60%¨
hopefully I can get some through Mexico. Unless the czech site ever begins to take paypal or anyone else does.... Has anyone tried this strong absinth yet? If you have please post your experiance with the taste.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation