Okay, who's the dipwad...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Okay, who's the dipwad...
By Wiz on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Thank you, thank you...

...in the backround
crowds cheering...more,more.

Love you Bob

By Bob_Chong on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 06:46 pm: Edit

The Wiz ain't the only mark-up practitioner.

And I didn't even mention strap-ons this time. Wink wink.

BC

By Morriganlefey on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Well, it seems that along with pulling the various "Collectable" (to quote the seller's spelling) bottles of Montana and Segarra, Ebay has also pulled the "Original Unopened bottle of Pernod Fils (Item # 553120885)" that was up.

Maybe somebody needs to educate them on what is truly "collectible" and what's just another "Wiz-esque" mark-up resale (poor Wiz, he'll never live that down).

- Morrigan

By Fluid on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 06:41 am: Edit

I'm actually not interested in spending $2000+ on ANY bottle of absinthe... I was just following the auctions out of curiousity.

eBay is curious... have you seen www.allmylifeforsale.com? This guy is selling everything from his dental records to dates with his girlfriends. Yeow. Wonder if those come with disclaimers...

fluid

By Pikkle on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 06:26 am: Edit

Read the prohibited items section... I tried selling some Nazi artifacts once without having explicitly stated I would not sell to people in France, Germany, Italy, etc., countries that banned such artifacts though they were of historical value, my mistake. Someone must have seen and reported it because about 24 hours from the end of the auction, they items were yanked. I then went through some of the Nazi artifacts that were still listed (there were thousands) and about 50% of the ones I looked at didn't meet the same criteria (historical value must be stated, won't ship to certain countries, etc... ) but were allowed to be completed. Of course I emailed eBay crying foul to which they replied, 'we can't look at all the auctions, can we?' I doubt very seriously they spot check but I'm sure they do follow up on complaints. Now if I could just find the bastard who ratted me out and get my 50¢ insertion fee back... grrr.

By Wormwood on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 05:33 am: Edit

If the object (a bottle of absinthe) is difficult to get in the USA the seller can argue to Ebay the value is not the contents. There are people who collect full liquors bottles.

A cancelled Ebay auction can mean anything. The seller withdrew, Ebay kicked him off. He may have realized that the sale might subject him to criminal penalities and withdrawn the item. (I don't know French Absinthe laws, but I hear they are strict).

Assuming he is still listed on Ebay, get his contact information and ask if you are interested.

By Fluid on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 04:36 am: Edit

Funny thing is that the old Pernod Fils *real* antique was cancelled "as it appears to offer an item or contains material which is prohibited for sale on eBay" while the newer ones are still going. This morning I found Hills, Herring, Tunel and Staroplzeneck´y, all still active.

Go figure.

Fluid

By Timk on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 10:40 am: Edit

lol - i sent a couple of them the urls too, i think if enough of us do this whenever we see this happening, then it may have some effect.

Tim

By Pikkle on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 05:32 am: Edit

It's up to eBay to determine that value ultimately... if a bottle is currently commercially produced and readily available, it doesn't fall under that collectible status. What the seller is banking on is the hype that you can't get absinthe otherwise, or it's nearly impossible. Both Herring and Lasala fail to meet that criterion in my estimation but it's ultimately up to the eBay overlords to figure that out. Doesn't really give the rest of us a good image if this is what lengths some people have to go to to get a substandard product... don't worry, all those bidders were sent this url as well as Spirits Corner... we'll let them make a more informed decision when the time comes.

By Wormwood on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 04:11 am: Edit

Ebay does allow these auctions, read their rules.

If the value to a collector is not the alcohol it would be permitted. Those collectable minibottles that are always sold full are permitted, a bottle of good wine would not be.

If I buy a bottle of Deva absenta for $100, the value is sure not the alcohol. I could goto spirit corner and prove what the alcohol is worth.

By Petermarc on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 03:47 am: Edit

this is the exact same bottle that was 'sold'
for $2500 on dec 10...it obviously didn't stay sold...was this a way to 'establish' it's value and then try to 'really' sell it?

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 09:14 pm: Edit

I think this was actually a cached bottle...

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 07:46 pm: Edit

It looks like the fire-damaged one you had, J.
Or maybe my memory is bad.
BC

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 03:21 pm: Edit

I don't see it meeting the reserve honestly...

I wonder who bad it hurts to keep a bottle of Pernod in your Arse that long?

By Timk on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 03:20 pm: Edit

in that case, im going to pull the plug on chambergeaus other bottle of buried pernod fills - up for sale now - jeez - any bets on the price?

Tim

By _Blackjack on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Also, I'm retty sure Ebay doesn't allow sale of alcohol. I know they won't let you sell cigars.

By Gadfly on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 02:31 pm: Edit

One could get those items pulled by reporting them. If there's even a chance that selling absinthe is illegal, eBay will pull the plug quickly.

Not that I care to do so but if you're bothered by such listings...

By Pikkle on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 01:22 pm: Edit

I wouldn't pay $60 for five bottles of Herring or Lasala... one bottle went for $100... a little much if you ask me, and unwanted publicity as well.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Well, at least it doesn't look like they're going for more than $60 or so.

By Pikkle on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 12:09 pm: Edit

... that's auctioning off full bottles of Herring and Lasala on eBay? C'mon people...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation