Absinthe calories?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Absinthe calories?
By _Blackjack on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

Domino Dots are only 10 calories. But, yeah, as long as I'm not getting sloshed, it doesn't look like too much of a problem.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 05:22 am: Edit

Alcohol (ethanol) 7 calories per gram. OK that's your figure. let's use it.

1 gram of 95% ethanol is appro 1.2 ml.

Let's assume a does of absinthe is 30 ml and the absinthe is 70% or 21 ml of ethanol.

So maybe 16-18 grams of ethanol. 115-125 calories.

How many calories in a standard Domino Dot per the sugar ritual?

I think more than that.

Suggestion: you want to watch calories, skip sugar in absinthe.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Martin,

Whether or not one gains fat is primarily a function of calories consumed vs. calories burned. The hormonal effects/reactions caused by the meals you eat and your excercise behaviors also have effects which are not yet well understood. Meals with certain ratios of macronutrients (fat:carbs:protien) seem to elicit differing responses from the body in terms of insulin and other important hormones. Also, the endocrine-influencing character of activity/exercise done seems to be more important than the number of calories burned during exercise. However, for the most part, calories are the bottom line.

The only 'crap' in beer which is known to effect fat loss/gain is complex carbohydrate and sugar, which is no more inherently fattening than the sugar you would find in most cocktails. Unless you can point to some specific research that I don't know about, there are no magical compounds in wine or beer that would induce fat gain: just alcohol and carbohydrates. (Take some liver pills or eat some meat with your drink, and it's a different story.)

K.

By Martin on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 11:16 am: Edit

Beer makes you fat. It's full of all sorts of crap. Distilled spirits are another matter entirely. It's unfortunate that most guidelines don't mention them when they give the caloric content of alcohols. Wine and Beer are very different animals from those beautiful things that are distilled.

-Martin

By Tavis on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 08:14 am: Edit

Oh dear! The forum says there were three posts in this thread before this message, I'm only seeing the first two!

By Anatomist1 on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 06:20 am: Edit

I recently checked into the calories in various beers, and it seemed to be mostly a function of alcohol content. The range was about 100-180 calories per beer. For absinthe, I would look up listings for some booze of similar proof and assume that's true. If you are actually measuring, weighing, and recording all you consume, accuracy doesn't matter as much as consistency. So long as you record the same value for the same quantity every time, you can manipulate your diet with reliable results.

FWIW, Alcohol has 7 calories per gram. Carbohydrate (sugar) has 4. I'm betting the amount of sugar in relation to alcohol in 100 proof liquor isn't very significant.

K.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Anybody have a vague idea how many calories there are in an shot of absinthe? I'm dieting (I've lost 20 pounds since mid-December--woo-hoo!) and I'd like to be able to ration out some calories for drinking. It looks like an oz of alcohol has about 180 calories, but would the various other ingredients add much to this? If it makes any difference, I'm mostly drinking Segarra, which sems like it has less sugar than most.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation