Absinth uber alles

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Absinth uber alles
By Petermarc on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 03:56 pm: Edit

d'oh!

By Germanandy on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 03:15 pm: Edit

the "absinthe" tabu arrived today.
it is a dark black bottle with a ugly label (the picture isn't good, it depends on my old digicam).
Tabu
the backlabel says something about absinth was a drug long ago and the stupid "burning sugar on a spoon ritual".
the content looks and tastes similar to absente (although it louches a little more than absente).
thats all i can say for the moment.
i wouldn't recommend this stuff, i think it isn't worth the shipping costs, just another part in the absinthe "moneymakingmachine".

regards

andy

By Germanandy on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Tabu

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 04:46 am: Edit

Yeah, a whole case of it - it's getting cheaper that way, I don't feel I'm running out of it (baaad feeling) and I am convinced that I would consume 6 bottles of it anyways as time goes by... If you know you still have a few litres in your closet you can give a spontaneous party any time you want and don't care if a whole litre is gone.

BTW, Mrs. Lohmann answered about the "Tabu", this is what she wrote:
"Wir haben es in einem akk. Lebensmittellabor untersuchen lassen. Da es weniger als 0,5 mg Thujon enthielt, weigerte sich der Lebensmittelchemiker weiter zu untersuchen. Ich kann diese Frage also nicht beantworten."
In English: "We were having it analyzed by an 'akk.' [what does that stand for??] chemical-lab. As it contained less than 0,5 mg of thujone, the chemist wouldn't analyze it any further. Therefore I can not answer this question."
Although this doesn't really make sense to me (it's not the fault of my translation), it does not sound that good either - I guess I won't order it.

Heiko

By Loucheliver on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 06:49 pm: Edit

A case of Deva? Big week coming up? I like people who think LARGE.

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 06:13 pm: Edit

No, I haven't tried "Tabu" yet, I sent a mail to Lohmann Sprirituosen today asking if it is real Absinthe (what means in my opinion it must contain the full legal amount of thujone). If it is, my next order will not only be a case of Deva, but also a bottle of tabu ;-)

Heiko

By Hersaint on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Heißen Sie willkommen zum Forum heiko

Übrigens ist mein Deutsch nicht sehr gut entweder

joe

By Germanandy on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 10:02 pm: Edit

hallo heiko,

nice to have another german on the board.
the picture postet below is from mrs. lohmanns page (she is realy a nice person).
have you tried the "tabu"?
my order is on it's way.
@bc and fluid- your german is very well

regards

andy

By Heiko on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 03:22 pm: Edit

First of all hi to everybody!
I'm new to the forum, but I guess I'll better post another message to let you know more about me...
Now, what I actually wanted to tell you is that there is another online shop for absinthe (should be especially interesting to germans, because it's in Berlin). I don't have to do anything with them, so this is not advertising, just information. The adress is www.absinthhandel.de - they also have this new german brand "Tabu". But: it might be just pastis, because the other brands (Deva and Pilsner) are marked "contains thujone", while Tabu is not - might just be missing, I don't know.
BTW: The owner of this store is the woman who went through all instances of bureaucracy to get an official admittance to sell absinthe in germany - let us all praise her! ;-)

By Fluid on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Sie auch?  Ich hab drei jahren in Düsseldorf gelebt '83-'85...  aber mein Deutsch ist zehr schlecht...  entschuldigung, ich kanne nur Englisch schreiben (und sprechen!!)

Flüssigkeit

By Bob_Chong on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Vielen Dank fuer Ihre Muehe! Es freut mich, dass Sie dieses Absinthe gefunden haben. Wir erwarten Ihren Bericht!

(Vor 14 Jahre hab' ich einen Sommer in die naehe von Krefeld gewohnt, aber ich erinnere mich nur ein Bisschen Deutsch.)

BC

By Petermarc on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 01:42 pm: Edit

it's the same for france, i don't even like going to the post office, it's so painful...and i was thoroughly abused (financially) by UPS in paris...

By Germanandy on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 12:58 pm: Edit

thanx for the reply.
in case that they don't ship to the usa it is possible that i'm going to do this for those who wanted to try it.
but the shipping costs from germany are not inexpensive (i hate the german "post", a friend told me that to send the same parcel from germany to the usa cost more than from the usa to germany).
anyway, let's see how it tastes.

regards

andy

By Martin on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Andy,

Thank you very much for finding out about this. I look forward to hearing what the German absinthe is like. I hope it is good, it would be nice to have something other than the usual choices for absinthe. If it is good, I hope they will ship to America.

I anxiously await your review.

-Martin

By Germanandy on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 10:06 am: Edit

today i received the mail from the destillery, seems like they are very friendly people.
they wrote me that their product contains artemisia absinthium and a couple of other herbs.
about the price they wrote that it depends on how much i will order (the more i buy the less i have to pay) and the size of the bottles (each size is possible).
they also wrote me that shipping to other countrys is possible but it depends on the import-regulations of the destination.
i will order a bottle of each strength (55% & 70%) and post a review of that stuff.

regards

andy

By Germanandy on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 09:53 pm: Edit

i have told myself a bottle of the "absinthe tabu" and i still wait for a answer of the neuh. dest.
the funny thing is that both destlliries wrote that they made the first german absinthe since the ban in the 20's.
does anyone of you know something about a vintage german absinthe?

andy

By Germanandy on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 04:18 am: Edit

:-)
hmmm, furry paws (red fur?)!!!

andy

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Ich bin Absinthe Trinker.

There--how's that for solidarity?

BC

By Admin on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Thanks Germanandy, you are a.o.k.!

Please stick around, and find out how warm & fluffy we all are. No, really!

**making nummy noises**

But seriously, it's very easy to mistake or exaggerate meaning in online dialog, even when not dealing with language barriers.

Please accept our furry paws in welcome!

By Petermarc on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 05:58 pm: Edit

not yet...

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 05:51 pm: Edit

SO, has anyone tired this stuff (now that the Indians, slaves, and the French cavalry have been put aside)?

BC

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 10:31 am: Edit

Andy, I for one am much relieved you are not departing.

blackjack, I do not believe you are an insensitive twit. Just in case you thought I did.

We need arrivals at the forum not departures. There is health and wealth in diversity isn't there?

By Germanandy on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 09:58 am: Edit

@all

äh, i think i over-react due to some reasons, sorry for that.
sometimes life is not easy :-)

andy

and, äh, madame admin, please leave me in there, ok?
i love your beautyfull red hair, just want to say that.

By _Blackjack on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 09:26 am: Edit

I have sent a private apology to germanandy by email. I was being a smart-ass, and sometimes forget that people over the net don't know me well enough to know what I do and don't believe. I certainly do not believe the Germans are Nazis, nor have I anything against the French or the Swiss. I'm sorry.

By Artemis on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 06:48 am: Edit

Germanandy, sorry about that.

Too many redundant letters in there. My brain was doing some unrequested editing for me.

By Artemis on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 06:46 am: Edit

"absinthe is an original german product (not swiss)"

Neither German nor Swiss.

I thought Blackjack's post was funny, and I would have thought it funny if the U.S. had been involved. It had nothing to do with the promotion of Hitler or Nazis, and if you've read Blackjack's posts here, you know he has no truck with either one of them.

I agree that discussions of slavery and murder don't belong here, I'm tired of ALL that crap. I've quit reading those threads.

If Germandy was talking about something else, I must have missed it. Probably because I've quit reading it.

Germandy, I'm pretty sure no one had any intent to insult you personally, or Germans as a group.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 03:09 am: Edit

Andy, don't let the carping of a few insensitive twits drive you away. Like you I was born after 1945 and like you I am a little tired of hearing about it. I hope you rethink your departure.

By Germanandy on Saturday, February 03, 2001 - 03:02 am: Edit

ok, funny, isn't it, all germans are still nazis, and adolf hitler is still alive.
we still want to conquer the world and yes, absinthe is an original german product (not swiss).
i can hear that dung no longer!!!
did anyone ever talk about what the americans did with the black (slavery) or the indians (murder), no, and why, it do not belong to here.
sorry, i haven't got the linguistic capability to write like i want.
i think i'll get my ass out of here.

adios

madame admin, please delete my account.

By Bob_Chong on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 09:30 pm: Edit

So how is it? Anyone drink the stuff, or is it just an electronic image at this point?

BC

By Petermarc on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 03:38 pm: Edit

uh, well i guess this all ended with what i wanted to post...you guys are scary...

By _Blackjack on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:44 pm: Edit

It isn't actually German absinthe. The just annexed some Czech absithe, claiming it had historically always been German...

...La Fee is expected to surrender any day now...

...La Bleue is staying out of it...

By Tabreaux on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:34 pm: Edit

....or is this the front?

rear

By Tabreaux on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:33 pm: Edit

....and here is the rear.

rear

By Tabreaux on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Here's the front label to "Absinth Ordinaire".

front

By Grimbergen on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:04 pm: Edit

hehe. sorry I was just being an ass.

By Grimbergen on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:03 pm: Edit

here.

abs

By Germanandy on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:03 pm: Edit

absinthe tabu?

By Tabreaux on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Email me your pic.

By Germanandy on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:02 pm: Edit

seems like it doesn't work anyway.

By Tabreaux on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Now you people have me screwed up. Here is a thumbnail....

tabu

By Germanandy on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:00 pm: Edit

c:\absinth.gif

By Tabreaux on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 02:00 pm: Edit

I think you are referring to "Absinthe Tabu".
tabu

This is the only image of it I have currently.

By Admin on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 01:57 pm: Edit

peter, send me your pic and I'll post for ya ...

soon tho, cuz I'm skipping work in a few. hehe.

By Germanandy on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

puh, i'm glad that you've tried to post the pics and not me :-)

andy

By Petermarc on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 01:49 pm: Edit

uh, kallisti...feel free to delete all of this and i will try again when i have my scheise together...

By Petermarc on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 01:46 pm: Edit

scheise!
i can't figure out how to post an e-mailed picture...damn french language operating system...merde...i'll try later...thanks and sorry andy...

By Petermarc on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

scheise!
1,german

By Petermarc on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 01:37 pm: Edit

germanandy sent me some pix of labels for a new german absinth(e)...apparently this is a very old and well known distiller...he has contacted them and will keep us posted...1,german

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation