Some mystic thoughts from a newbie ;-)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Some mystic thoughts from a newbie ;-)
By Pataphysician on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 01:31 pm: Edit

I don't know a thing about Celtic melodies or Northern European folk music, but I do know that I get the strongest urge to listen to Reggae in the dead of winter. And not the "happy stuff". Abyssinians "Declaration of Rights", Burning Spear "Door Peep", Wailers "Concrete Jungle" (esp. the original Jamaican version), Israel Vibration "Lift Up Your Conscience". That's a stark, winter sound to me. I've never really thought of it as a "tropical" sound. Or Keith Hudson's "Pick a Dub" album. Scary shit.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit

Alpha & Omega, yes! They're great! I don't dig Dancehall much, but I do listen to contemporary Dub, Triphop, Illbient and such.

The minor-key dread stuff is what I like, too.
The old stuff from Israel Vibration, Prince Alla, The Congoes, Horace Andy, Gregory Isaacs, Burning Spear, Culture...

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 10:46 am: Edit

Oh, I just saw that I wrote "Aethopians" and not "Abyssinians" - I can remember wondering why "Ethiopian" was suddenly written with "Ae", but I knew that the word had to start with an "A" - should be interesting for a psycholinguist.
In the mood that I was, "Absinthians" would have been a nice slip of the tongue too ;-)

I like a quotation from Macka B. about Reggae: "I listen to all kinds of music, and it's all good music - but Reggae is like the heartbeat of everything."

Although the old roots-stuff is 95% real good music, and with the years the percentage of good songs steadily declined (it's now by about 5% at most in Dancehall Reggae) - but these very few new songs are also great. My all time favourite is still Sizzla's "Protect us and bless us" (know it?). And of course I like only the wicked tunez as I never liked happy music - doesn't mean it has to be depressive, just the harmonies got to be more minor than major or sth like that...
As we were talking so much about the north and all that celtic/gothic stuff: Celtic Melodies and Dub-Reggae? Fits together real good, do you know Alpha&Omega? Sounds kind of like a middle ages dub-party ;-)

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 09:09 am: Edit

>>>>ended up listening mostly to reggae.
I know this "[..] satta massaganna [...]", but have to admit I don't know what it means :-( It's ethiopian, right? And it appears in "promised land" by the Aethiopians (great song btw).
>>>>>

After Punk fizzled I started listening to a lot of Reggae and Dub. Only the real shit, 1970-1978, and I’ve been kind of stuck on it ever since.

“Dina Igzhabier, Yi mas gan. Satta massaganna Ahamlack ulaghize.” is Amharic (Ethiopian), basically, “Praise the good Lord. Give thanks to God continually.” “Satta Massagana” and “Yi Mas Gan” are also songs by The Abyssinians. (BTW, if any of you New Orleans folks are going to the Jazz Fest, check out The Abyssinians, the greatest vocal trio that ever walked the earth. They have RARELY performed in the last 20 years.)

>>>>Uhm, Pataphysician - I read about pataphysics some weeks ago, but I couldn't really figure out how it differs from metaphysics. Isn't metaphysics already everything that goes beyond our knowledge?
I guess I need to read something by A. Jarry, seems to be an interesting person.
>>>>

Pataphysics is the science of imaginary solutions. It examines the laws governing exceptions. Pataphysics is the science of that which is superinduced upon metaphysics, whether within or beyond the latter's limitations, extending as far beyond metaphysics as the latter extends beyond physics.

Read Alfred Jarry’s “Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustroll, Pataphysician”. Read it in the state it was written: having consumed enormous amounts of Absinthe. You will understand all.

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 07:58 am: Edit

and I hear that the Don/Martin negative feedback loop algorithm (which was being tested as part of an automated customer response program to be installed in call centers) is being desensitized.

By Black_Rabbit on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 07:32 am: Edit

I, for one, unlike the rest of these 'people' am comfortable in admitting I am only a complex algorhythm.

Tavis, the Programmers are talking about taking you offline for maintenance again. I heard them talking through the sympathetic vibrations of their desktop speakers. Chief programmer Bob is planning to make you a short, elderly asian woman.

I'm sorry to have to lay this one on you. It could be worse, though- at least they aren't writing the code drunk this time (why do you think he's called 'fluid'?)

Black Rabbit (version 13.7)

"11001101011000010101111001001011101"

By Fluid on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 06:37 am: Edit

Well, everything is pure imagination except the feeling/thought "I am." So you are right as well.

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 06:32 am: Edit

damn, you're right!
But I was thinking more of something like "everything I see and feel including my body might just be PURE imagination". BTW I know that what I see and feel is not "reality" but just my brain interpreting signals from the organs (sometimes the wrong ones, thanks to Dr. Hofmann...) - but usually nobody believes that there actually "is nothing" - we might not correctly perceive it, but there is "a reality". But what if it wasn't? Ok, nobody could answer these questions since Kant, I guess nobody ever will...

By Fluid on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 06:17 am: Edit

well, unless you've mastered the out-of-body experience, that's probably true (the computer is between your ears)

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 06:12 am: Edit

Oh my god, what if I am only a computer program that thinks it's me ?!

By Fluid on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 06:09 am: Edit

and me

By Tavis on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 05:59 am: Edit

except me

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 05:48 am: Edit

Heiko said "And ooohh, this is getting creepy, somebody who likes Nietzsche is also here - if I was a little more insane, I would start to believe that I am having conversations with some of my alter-egos here ;-)"

You didn't realise? The forum is just a sophisticated computer program that generates in context replies to real postings. None of us actually exist.

By Brspiritus on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 05:13 am: Edit

I have the dubious pleasure of living outside of one of the most (straining hard to say it and not something worse) "African-American" cities in the US. Now I could go and and on and you all might come down with the impression that I'm a racist pig, but I have seen some of the stupidest names ever concieved of used here. Probably one of the wost was the 15 year old mother who named her son Nigger. When asked why she did that she said that "that's all he'll ever be to me, because I didn't want him." Sad commentary on modern life. I don't know about Nietzsche, but I do like Kafka, and I especially love the works of the Sociologist/Historian Arnold Toynbee.

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 04:28 am: Edit

Sorry Bob Chong, I didn't mean that JC thing in a bad way - I only mean he seems to be a really nice guy (without knowing too much about him, I admit). But I like Hippies, so this was no insult or something :-)

And ooohh, this is getting creepy, somebody who likes Nietzsche is also here - if I was a little more insane, I would start to believe that I am having conversations with some of my alter-egos here ;-) The only bad thing about understanding Nietzsche's thoughts is - the more you do, the more most other people don't understand you. This is bad luck for me because I get his thoughts pretty well I think. I'm no expert, though. I'm not through all of his books yet, but most of them are ready to be read on my desk. He also gives me that creepy feeling sometimes that he must know my unconscious thoughts better than I do. I wonder if he liked Absinthe...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 03:55 am: Edit

BC, of course if you reckon you are making a difference even in a few individual lives, then you are teaching in the right schools.

I come from a family chock full of teachers but all in elite (Jesuit) Catholic high schools. Except for my kid sister who teaches math and physics in a public high school. I'm the non-self-sacrificing black sheep of the family.

Those who rant at my militarist opinions will be shocked to learn that as a child and young adolescent I was frequently on hadn when the Berrigans (Fathers Philip and Daniel) the famous antiwar priests visited my parents for dinner, drinks and penny ante poker games. That's when they weren't pouring blood over Selective Service records and the like. Sorry, osmosis didn't take. Nice guys, though. Middling poker players.

By Martin on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 01:18 am: Edit

Ahh, the Spirit of the North! I hear it's call nightly. My ancestry also runs deep in the ancient lands of the North. I've got quite a bit of German and Norwegian in me... as well as English, Scottish, Welsh, Italian, and French... but the Norwegian and German has always been the most interesting to me.

Some day, I think I shall move north to Scandinavia. I really think I would be happy there. I like the cold.

Nietzche's philosophies are great. He is the outstanding example of my belief that the mentally insane are privy to ways of thinking "normal" people aren't capable of. He's the one who started me down the treacherous path that has lead me to where I am today.. and God only knows where tomorrow.

-Martin

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 10:22 pm: Edit

I'll let Blackjack address the Myth of the Hippie Jesus, since it is one of his peeves. As for me, anyone who thinks Christ's central message was simply to love e/o is sorely mistaken. Of course, I am a believer, so my thoughts on the matter are quite different than yours. To me, it is like reducing Abe Lincoln to his stovepipe hat (ala Homer Simpson), or saying that WWI was all about Archduke Ferdinand (sorry--that's the best non-ethnocentric example I can come up with right now).

And Blackjack, for your entertainment, I will try to compile a list of names of students that I and my wife had over the years. This shit ain't urban legend: it is urban reality. Go teach in a black school, and you'll see what I mean. Hell, look no futher than Kobe Bryant if you want an example of an idiotic name.

BC

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Thanks for your friendly welcome, you are very nice people!

I heard that "Heiko" it is an old shortened form for "Heinrich" - but I'm not sure about that. The name is relatively frequent among people at my age, but you're right, nobody from outside of Germany knows it. My neighbor (she's french) told me a few weeks before that she had never heard that name, but now as she lives in Germany for only a few months, she suddenly knows four guys named Heiko ;-) But sorry, I don't speak Japanese, although I like the meaning "child of peace" very much!

btw my last name - Saele (the "ae" stands for umlaut-a, but I guess it won't display correctly on your machines, I give it a try anyways: "ä") is VERY uncommon in Germany, but, written with a and e together as one character (which is actually the same, cos the two dots on the a come from a very old abbreviation for the e) it appears to be more common in Norway - back to genealogical mysticism ;-)

To answer everything in short: I cannot really call myself an Amorphis fan - but this is one of the groups who make that kind of deathmetal that I really like. Unfortunately many others were playing stuff that wasn't so good what was one of the main reasons for me to start listening to other stuff - and finally ended up listening mostly to reggae.
I know this "[..] satta massaganna [...]", but have to admit I don't know what it means :-( It's ethiopian, right? And it appears in "promised land" by the Aethiopians (great song btw). Oh damn, I should have done my homework in rastafarianism - but I'm not so much into religion (my thoughts about christianity are about these: Jesus was a long haired hippie who told people to love each other, nobody was nearer to his ideals than the '68 generation - he would turn in his grave if he could see what people do in his name ... sorry, don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings).

Uhm, Pataphysician - I read about pataphysics some weeks ago, but I couldn't really figure out how it differs from metaphysics. Isn't metaphysics already everything that goes beyond our knowledge?
I guess I need to read something by A. Jarry, seems to be an interesting person.

OK, before this reaches the length of a novel I better stop and go to work on a report (which badly needed to be the length of a novel, but isn't yet!). Of course like a real Absintheist (sounds like a religion as well...) in the middle of the night (it's 2.50 a.m. right now).

Heiko

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Bob, you must be teaching in the wrong schools.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Quote:

The all-time best was Shithead. I know what it looks like, but she told me it was pronounced sha-thay'-id.

Gee, Bob, you had a urban myth in your class? Who knew?

http://www.snopes2.com/spoons/fracture/names.htm

By Sprite on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Hello Heiko! Nice to virtually meet you. Today I find myself still waiting for my deva in anticipation, hopefully should be any day now, I was afraid that I over slept today and missed the delivery, panic quickly set in! ... Maybe you have a point about absinthe being lodged in our genes, through my mothers side, our family tree goes back to a french man surnamed Philyaw back in the early 1700's, so I have a pretty good chance of having had at least half of my ancestors sipping the original verte! Dad's family tree is mostly england descended and I simply love hot earl grey tea....anticipation of my long awaited bottle of absinth continues, I have to go clean something like a closet or my storage shed just to get my mind off of it. Bye, and again welcome! ;)

By Dengar on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 11:43 am: Edit

Heiko; nice to hear that somebody is reading my posts!

Perhaps your interest "in the mysteries of the north" might take you hear some day? I wouldn't select tomorrow though as it's a bit cold rigth now...

By Black_Rabbit on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 07:49 am: Edit

Konban-wa, herr Heiko-san :-)

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 07:29 am: Edit

Don:

You must have been away from this soil too long to think that someone named after the Japanese word for peace has "an odd name for [anybody]."

I mean, have you forgotten names like LaQuita, Aquanetta, and Zucchini? These are all real names (not nicknames) of students I've had. There are many more.

The all-time best was Shithead. I know what it looks like, but she told me it was pronounced sha-thay'-id.

BC

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 07:15 am: Edit

Glad to have another Reggae fan,

Dina Igzhabier, Yi mas gan. Satta massaganna Ahamlack ulaghize. Seen?

By Melinelly on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 05:15 am: Edit

aye, don. my thoughts exactly.

wilkommen, Heiko... or... yoroshiku onegaishimasu... as would be the case =)

glad to have another amorphis fan along for the ride.

-emiliano

By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Hmmm. Heiko means 'child of peace' in Japanese but it's a feminine name. Like any name ending in -ko.

Odd name for a German.

Wilkommen anyway...

By Heiko on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Hi to all of you!
I'm new in here and I'm relatively new to drinking Absinthe - but that doesn't matter because from the first drop that touched my tongue and moved its spirit into my brain I knew what I'd been missing my whole life long (uuuh, aaah, sounds pathetic ;-)).
I think that it really might be true that for hundreds of generations my ancestors had wormwood in their drinks, so my genes are "used to it". At least I like to believe stuff like that - that's why I really got interested in this forum when I read the posting by Dengar and all the follow-ups. Uuuh, wicked...some other people interested in the mysteries of the north (I got to admit that I don't really know anything about scandinavia or ancient norwegian religion - it's more what I FEEL about it, so to say...).
Can it be coincidence that people who feel the same way are also true Absinthe lovers? Hmmmmmm, to think about coincidence a little more:
When I was younger I was also listening to Death Metal (the last great band I can remember is Amorphis), something inside my wicked brain made me decide to study philosophy (in a time where any rational thinking should make you go into marketing and business), I had the inexplainable desire to take a course in old gothic anglo-saxon at university even I could have chosen easier courses...
It's pretty creepy to let your thoughts wander around like that - but I just love it!

I like the thought that we (you know who you are...) are the descendants of the ancient wizards and priests who now just live in the wrong time where nobody believes in spiritual things and so we can't scare the death out of people anymore ;-)

I almost forgot that I wanted to adress sprite, too: I was really amazed by your post, just loved what you wrote (as it happened to me almost the same way). Why do you think you can't sleep waiting for your Deva to arrive? I guess you'll also find your "long forgotten love" in it...
btw I share your concern about credit card payment (my number got stolen once and it was a lot of trouble to get that money back...)

-- Yeah, I know, I had too much Absinthe (just tried some Serpis which is really good and powerful, it smells a little strange though).

Anyways, "you don't become crazy from drinking absinthe, but you've got to be a little crazy to like it!" (plz don't be offended anyone, I use the term "crazy" as a compliment, kind of the opposite of "boring" or "normal"!).

I guess it is ok for an absinthe-forum to add some crazy thoughts (if it is not almost REQUIRED?).

Love to all of you from the living counterevidence of all stereotypes, the lazy, sarcastic german who listens to reggae, loves jewish humor, dreams about being a wizard *g* and "carries a dangerous 'maybe' in every one of his thoughts" (as Nietzsche put it - what means that you should add a smiley or two to everything I say; or in even other words: "Nothing is true, everything's possible")
Heiko

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation