How to make your own sugar tablets

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:How to make your own sugar tablets
By Grimbergen on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 05:09 pm: Edit

"worthwhile foreplay"
is that a contradiction?

By Martin on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 03:06 pm: Edit

That's what I'm talking about, Joshua, it's totally worth the waiting. I haven't become such a fiend that I can't wait 10 minutes for the glass to be ready. The waiting makes it that much more enjoyable, like really worthwhile foreplay.

-Martin

By Joshua on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 09:40 am: Edit

tried martin's ice cube thing,defintly very relaxing,the little curly cues drifting from the ice cubes was almost magical

By Fluid on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Hey Brspiritus,

If you really like La Perrouche so much, I'd be happy to send you a handful... perhaps you can get them to dissolve better than I can.

Of course, if I had one of those 10-minute fountains I'd be more inclined to use them myself...

Fluid

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 12:24 pm: Edit

you should try absinthe from an individual fountain..it can take p to 10 minutes to prepare one glass....

By Royale on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 04:01 am: Edit

you really are a traditionalist!

By Brspiritus on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Oh yeah pour the Absinthe, put the sugar tablet on the spoon add a little water and while you're waiting for the sugar to dissolve kill your family or cut off your ear... it makes the time go by that much more quickly :-)

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 04:41 pm: Edit

LOL

my sweetie in background LOL:  "Sheeez these guys are funny!"

By Petermarc on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 04:06 pm: Edit

as long as you have something else to do, like read 'war and peace'...i think part of the insanity that was attributed to absinthe had to do with waiting for your drink to be ready...

By Martin on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

I like putting some ice cubes in the absinthe and setting the sugar cube on top of that. I then just wait and let it sit. As the ice melts, the sugar cube does too. In about ten or fifteen minutes (sometimes longer, depends on how much ice you use I suppose, two large ice cubes is usually enough for me), give it a stir and it's ready to drink. It's alot of fun to watch. It's very relaxing.

-Martin

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 10:08 am: Edit

Well Artemis, I do enjoy the ritual (keeps me from getting to my limit too quickly), so I don't want to shortcut it.   Thanks anyhow.

I can't seem to find Daddy-brand sugar cubes anywhere.   Damn!   Saint Louis cubes aren't too easy either.

By Artemis on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 09:48 am: Edit

I can vouch for Pataphysician's method. But lately I say to hell with it and don't use sugar, or just stir granular sugar in with a teaspoon.

By Pataphysician on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 09:46 am: Edit

Try this to disolve your cube faster:

Pour absinthe into the glass.
Drop the cube in and let it soak for about 10 seconds (It won't disolve).
Scoop it out with the spoon.
Set it on the spoon as normal.
Pour the water over it.

This will soften it up just enough without disolving it, and make for a perfectly timed pour of the water.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 08:32 am: Edit

C&H cubes will dissolve in seconds. Function over form, baby.

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 08:24 am: Edit

By "prefered" I simply meant "what is the general concensus" on the cube best suited for disolving quickly.   As I don't have a fountain (I use a glass Ricard pitcher), I generally get <1 minute before the glass is filled, leaving me with 9/10ths of an undissolved Peruche cube on my spoon.   Is it "Daddy" sugar that dissolves faster?

Fluid

By Petermarc on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 08:18 am: Edit

prefered for what? there is no prefered sugar in france for absinthe, but i would have to agree with ian about 'daddy'... 'peruche' annoys me, i like the idea that it seems more original and crude, but it doesn't dissolve well in anything, including tea or coffee...if you look at old photos, everyone seems to be using rectangular tablets and a french collector told me the ideal way to pour an absinthe is to break the tablet in half, stack the pieces on each other and pour slowly until both dissolve...i also have seen a few cartoons where the tablet was placed on it's short side, to slow down the process of melting...

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 08:07 am: Edit

Yeah, the Peruche just seems to sit there while the water runs over it.   What's the name of the company that make the individually-wrapped cubes?   Anyone ever try those?   It's been a while since I've been to Paris...

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 08:06 am: Edit

Daddy en vacance every time - just love those wrappers

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 07:57 am: Edit

St. Louis disolves very quickly, I like it better the Perruche.
Regards
Jay

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 07:40 am: Edit

Don't count yourself out Petermarc, you could send me the sugar in bulk at a profit, and I could resell on eBay in small quantities...

But don't tell anyone the plan, I don't want everyone knowing how easy and cheap it is to get good sugar from France.

What is the prefered sugar anyway? I have Peruche at home, and domino, but I've seen other (Saint Louis, etc.)

Fluid

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 07:34 am: Edit

But don't forget Peter you have the genuine French packaging. As every collector knows the packaging is just as important as the contents.

By Petermarc on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 07:14 am: Edit

damn, i knew he would find a way to undercut my
tabs...that's it, i'm done for...

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 06:32 am: Edit

Y'all are kidding, right?   If not, I should get into the sugar business.   Heck, I'm happy to put up 2 dozen wrapped cubes on eBay... for a starting price of...ummm...  $5?

By Brspiritus on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 05:08 am: Edit

If anyone is interested I will make up a batch and ship 4 cube samplers out to you. It would be good for me because I can get an idea if people like them... hell I might start making them and selling them

By Petermarc on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 04:42 pm: Edit

shipping is cheaper to germany...

By Germanandy on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 04:32 pm: Edit

100 + shipping, that's a good deal, i'd like to get some :-)

andy

By Petermarc on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 04:00 pm: Edit

i am still selling french sugar tablets for $100
a box...plus shipping...but this is going to put me out of business...

By Brspiritus on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 03:13 pm: Edit

How to make your own La Perrouche sugar tablets.

Items you will need:

The drawer from a small pocket size box of matches

a knife

A small bowl or a mortar bowl works well

6 tablespoons of sugar

water

a piece of hard inflexible cardboard about 1 foot square or so

an oven

a sharp knife

warm up the oven briefly and then shut it off and leave it closed. Place the sugar in the bowl and add the water a few drops at a time and mix with the knife. You should end up with a sugar paste that is still granular in apprearance. It's ok if it doesn't bind together too well or falls apart. you want to fill up the matchbox with the sugar mixture and level it off with the knife, push it down a little but don't pack it too tightly. Quickly tip the sugar tablet out of the match box onto the cardboard trying not to break it. Leave about 1 inch of space between the tablets. Now take your sharp knife and carefully cut each tablet in half sideways and gently put a little space between them so they don't stick together after drying. The two tablets now produced should be about the size of a real French sugar tablet. When you are done with all of them place them on the middle rack of the oven on the cardboard for about an hour until they are hard. If you want you can wrap them fancy, I just keep mine in a box until I need them. It may take a couple of tries to get it right, but if you do it perfectly when you pour water over the tablets they disolve almost instantly. You can get a couple of uses out of a matchbox, but they eventually fall apart.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation