What exactly happens to cause a louche.

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:What exactly happens to cause a louche.
By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Fluid,

I thought that reverse osmosis could be best achieved by pumping tap water under extreme pressure through long tubes of semi-permeable membrane, then collecting the contents that come our the ends of the tubes. Where else can you do this but at a water purification plant. You say that we can buy kits like this to set up in our homes. Christ, I've just wasted half the staff of my local water purification plant. You bastard Fluid, why the fuck didn't you tell me this before.

Hobgoblin

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 02:42 pm: Edit

LOL Hobgoblin,

All things being relative, a reverse osmosis system for your home (treats all water coming in) is about $1,000 installed.   Now that's a lot cheaper than paying the piper for a bloodbath... but rev-o'ing water doesn't reduce surface tension, so the AK won't help much in that regard anyway, ahem.   Please don't do it!

By Sprite on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Thank you fluid!, when you get home will be fine.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Fluid,

Reverse osmosis on tap water. Great, I'll just head down to my local water purification plant with an AK47 and force them to run it backwards using tap-water. Anything to increase the absorbtion rate of wormwood oil into my body.

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Well, distilled water is dead water. I'll send you some info on living water when I get home, or maybe a little later.

Short of Hunza-type living water, the way to go is Reverse Osmosis of local water, fyi.

Fluid

By Sprite on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Well, thank goodness we have spell checker
but now I need a syntax checker or a dummy checker, any ways ya'll know what I mean... lol!

By Sprite on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 02:12 pm: Edit

You all must be a hoot in a live chat... Hey fluid, tell me more about that special water.
I am a big water junkie, I have not consumed city water now since 1996, I only drink water from distributors that does not contain not flouride or chlorine*yuck*....but the skin you say those people have interests me greatly, Im growing older*sigh~*, I have thought about trying the human growth hormone supplements but they are expensive, and I also hear something about young peoples thymus(sp) glands contain a chemical that is like HGH, but before I go and
drink the blood of virgins or begin removing glands from the local teens (something which I am sure might upset local authorities)*joke* I would like to know more about the water you speak of.
I was warned against drinking distilled water because a doc told me it is so clean it is almost corrosive? I just don't know. You can email me if you like.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

I just messing around...

Like Indiana Jones' dad...not quite maybe in around 40 years...it would be funny if you could see me at class today.... suspenders and jackboots.

by the way I am having an absinthe tasting of all my the brands I have on hand (around 30 or so) on my b-day. I will post some pics...if possible.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:38 pm: Edit

I don't think I've slammed your spelling in a long, long time. And you are respectable. The picture in my mind is the bumbling ancient languages scholar and so forth. (And bumbling has a charming connotation, like you can't be bothered with such minutiae as spelling and grammar.)

BC

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:34 pm: Edit

WHOAAA....two compliments in a row?

I think I need Marc or Bob to slam me on my spelling or something fast before I become a respectable member of this forum...

By Sprite on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I must add that although I dont know you Chrysippvs I love your posts! I also try to always follow the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) rule as much as possible. *grin*

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:23 pm: Edit

LOL         Justin, the more I read your posts, the more I look forward to reading the next one.

cheers

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:16 pm: Edit

yeah right...we all know it is magic that makes absinthe louche. None of that essential-oil precepitation mumbo-jumbo. All that stuff is make-believe like fairies and eskimoes...

By Sprite on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:13 pm: Edit

A simple answer from a simple girl... *big grin*... My hubby asked me the same thing about louche, we oil paint alot and we always clean our brushes with turpentine, so I reminded him of how a turpentine soaked paint brush when being rinsed with water turns the water milky white, even though turpentine is clear... Of course he looked at me funny and asked, So we are going to drink this stuff? *I just laughed at his facial expression*, yea its got somthing to do with oil and water and solubles and stuff,but I am not as literiate as most the minds here, so the turpentine and water reaction explained it best to him...We came, we saw, we drank, we liked!

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 01:02 pm: Edit

It turns out that structured water, with a low surface tension, is far better at hydrating our bodies than regular water (ie. tap).   It's got many names, most known is probably Hunza Water, named after the location where it was first discovered in its natural form.

The people of Hunza typically live 120+ years.   I saw a CBS clip about the people a couple years ago; they all look like they have baby skin, all smooth and puffy.

I could dig up more info if you want.   The researcher who first recreated the water into a stable form is Patrick Flanagan, and he was up for Nobel consideration for it a few years back.   I think I have his URL somewhere at home.

Fluid

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Fluid,

Thanks for the explanation.

By the way what is "smart water"?

Hobgoblin

By Fluid on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Because colder water has more surface tension than hot water.   More surface tension = less absorbtion of oils.

Surface tension is measured in Dynes, though I do not recall the relative Dynes for hot vs. cold water.

As a matter of experiment, it may be interesting to see the louche in absinthe when "smart" water is added, though I assume this would increase the absorbtion rates of herbs into the body, which may or may not be a good idea.

Fluid

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Thank all for this info.

I've also wondered why then does absinthe louche well with very cold water, while with water of ambient temprature it often doesn't louche at all?

Hobgoblin

By Timk on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 11:20 am: Edit

lol tscmit : )

By Eric on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 11:15 am: Edit

same thing happened to me. we all chime in at once

By Eric on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 11:14 am: Edit

when water is added to absinthe, herbal oils in the alcohol separate and become suspended in the solution. this happens at a microscopic level so it appears to be cloudy. it is the same principle that happens when water leaks into the oilpan of your car. it turns a milky white.

By Pataphysician on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 11:12 am: Edit

Alfred Jarry believed that the louche was proof that Absinthe was pure and healthy, and that water was foul and to be avoided. He always drank his Absinthe straight and never touched water.

By Tcsmit on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 11:07 am: Edit

Sorry Timk, I'm not copying what you said, it seems you were posting your reply while I was typing mine.

By Tcsmit on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 11:05 am: Edit

Basically, in absinthe you have all sorts of oils from the herbs that are dissolved in the high percentage of alcohol. When you add water, you dilute this to a lesser percentage and the oils are no longer soluble. The cloudiness is caused by little droplets of oil floating around in the more watery solution.

By Timk on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

I see it as the same as the biological lipid-emulsion test - i presume its exactly the same, as the essential oils are all alcohol soluable, and addition of water causes them to form a milky white emulsion.

Tim

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, February 08, 2001 - 10:38 am: Edit

An absinthe related question.

Yesterday evening over a glass of Montana I wondered what was exactly happening when a drink louched? Why does cold water cause this?

No doubt someone could explain the process, I'd be grateful for such information.

Hobgoblin

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation