Review of BEI's La Bleue

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Review of BEI's La Bleue
By Ekmass on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 04:08 am: Edit

nice cat

By Fluid on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 03:20 pm: Edit

"Internal Server Error", d'oh.  Try this page.

Fluid

By Fluid on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Here's the promised 3d louche pic of BEI's La Bleue.   First, directions for freestyle viewing:   The right eye looks at the right image, and the left eye looks at the left image.   Stare through the image at some point in the distance, then relax your eyes and allow your brain to merge the two images for you.

Belle Epoque Importers La Bleue

The second image, of the complete louche, is at: BEI La Bleue (opens in new window).

Cheers, I think I'll go pour another...

By Loucheliver on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Timk,
Pretty nutty, ain't it! I didn't believe it until I had done it. Couldn't get it to work on the screen though.

By Timk on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Works on screen with me, just take of my glasses, and in about 5 seconds it sorta merges into 3d - wow

Tim

By Fluid on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Louchliver:   Yes, it looks like I'll make it.

Marc, shhhhhhhhhhh.

By Loucheliver on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Fluid,
Hopefully you can make it up for the soiree next month. We can haul out the stereo views. I haven't looked at them in ages.

By Marc on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 05:41 pm: Edit

fluid,

do you always force your woman to wear a blindfold when she's pouring drinks?

By Fluid on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Here's one to try while were waiting for my BEI pics.   It's a little harder when viewing on a monitor perhaps... I can get it if I cross my eyes and then look at the image in the middle.   Feels strange to have your eyes go out of focus... (we've never felt that have we?)     Phee, Jan.'01

Fluid

By Loucheliver on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 04:13 pm: Edit

You can actually get the pictures to snap into 3-D without a viewer. You have to move them toward and away from you until you find the right distance, which is pretty close, and kind of defocus your eyes. Sounds about as weird as it is, but once you've done it, it becomes easier. Took me a few minutes of adjusting the 1st time. It's pretty freaky when the images combine and pop into depth of field.
I have several hundred vintage stereoscope views, and used to make my own w/an instant camera.

By Martin on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Attaching the pics to cardboard instead of fooling with having them put on special slides is a good idea. I could build myself some sort of stereoscope and use that as the viewer. That would be cool.

-Martin

By Martin on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 02:57 pm: Edit

I shot some pics with my old (old, old, oh so very old) stereo camera so I guess I'll just get them developed and see how they come out. I'm a little nervous about the spacing coming out weird and all my pictures being cut wrong. We'll see. I do like how it does pics with a 1:1 aspect ratio, it gives it a cool old-timey look.

-Martin

By Fluid on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 07:20 am: Edit

I've got a modern stereo camera, a plastic toy that takes pretty good pics (pic below is 1/2 a stereoview).   They are about $65 on eBay or $90 Retail, and include a viewer.   Still got 8 to go on my roll, then I'll post the louche pics.   I get my pics developed at the local 1-hour; each 4"x6" print has two pics (left/right) and no need for slides.

Fluid

By Loucheliver on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 04:53 pm: Edit

You can actually make stereoscopic photos with any camera. Just use a steady platform, with the distance between your eyes, plus a little more, marked on it, and snap away from both view points. Then, when developed, mount the photos on a piece of cardboard of the appropriate size and shape to fit the viewer.

The Liver

By Martin on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Stereoview pics? You have an old stereo camera? I have one too, where can I get the pictures developed and put on the slides for the viewer?

-Martin

By Rtlplus3 on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 03:54 pm: Edit

My tasting back ground and experience is very similar to Fluid's. It's caused me some problems though . My wife will only drink the BEI La Bleue and as we know it does not come at a small price. Of corse nothing worth having does. She now describes Deva as swap water. Batina's La Bleue is very good but strong on the anise. I have always loved anise I drink Romama Sambuca in my coffee quite offen. BEI's La Bleue has a clean and crispness to it. If you have ever walked through a patch of mint the smell is a carbon copy to the finish of the BEI La Bleue.

By Petermarc on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 02:15 pm: Edit

i'm gonna start using smilely faces all the time now...:-]

By Fluid on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 11:25 am: Edit

Oh, ummmm about the indigo; it's a blue glass, I shoulda mentioned that.

By Petermarc on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 03:58 am: Edit

well, the two la bleues i've tried never looked like that, this swiss maker must be using indigo in the final coloring step...but it does answer the question, 'why do they call it...?'

By Malhomme on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Ummm, that's awfully close to the candle there, Fire Marshall Bill.... hehe
mal

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 02:49 pm: Edit

ahhh the look of a love one louched...

By Fluid on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Ummmm...which one?   This one!   Beth and Bleue

I have of course read somewhere in the posts that there are many, and that Betty has three (?), however I wasn't informed of which one this is.

And that ain't me, that's my honey     and that ain't a spoon, it's a fork...   and that non-dissolving sugar; that's Perrouche...   and that smile?   It's the third round...

By Malhomme on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Which of Betty's la Bleues have you tried, or are refering to?
mal

By Fluid on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 06:57 am: Edit

I've had Justin's Bleue sitting on a shelf for well over a week now, next to as-yet-unopened bottles of Segarra, Deva, Montana and a Serpis.

My experience so far (aside from several Pastis) includes only Deva, Mayans 70° and Betina's Bleue, so please take that into consideration when interpreting my review.

This is one is my favorite.   Unlike Betina's, which I believe can be accurately described as "licorice silk"*, the BEI has a strong herbal flavor.   The slight bitterness is just enough for the taste buds to say "yep, that's absinthe!"

The louche was gorgeous and immediate, which surprised me as I only had room-temp water to add.   The strong louche I'll take as additional indication of high herbal content.   For sugar I used a Domino cube (small, refined and fast-dissolving) which added just the right amount of sweetness for my taste, while also allowing the herbal flavors to come through.   The alcohol was very subtle on my palate.

Alas, I had only one glass.   The opportunity to imbibe didn't come until my love had finished her homework, and it was already 10pm when we finished our first glasses.   Even so, we experienced slight secondary effects (more on that after a three-glass tasting this weekend) which were subtle and pleasant (and caused some giggles with sexual overtones).

I took a couple of stereoview pics of the louche, which I'll post here when developed.   And oh, relative to the Spanish brands, there's just no comparison...  I'd gladly trade two or three Devas for one of these any day.

Fluid

* Betina's La Bleue is candy-delicious;  "silk" refers to the smoothness on the palate, while licorice is the only discernable flavor (to me).

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation