Talkin' Anti-Capitalist Blues II

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Talkin' Anti-Capitalist Blues II
By Melinelly on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 10:27 am: Edit

aye, opals really are fascinating. i've got a chunk about two inches in diameter. looks like just some dirty white rock until you turn it over to the cracked open side... gleaming white with swirls of red, blue, purple, and orange that seemingly shift in the light.

moonstones are nice too =)

By Petermarc on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

well, as much as i hate to admit it, i agree with martin on diamonds...i handle millions of dollars of diamonds everyday, and i don't think there is a more common stone that exists except quartz...i handled a 40 carat flawless d-color emerald-cut the other day, and all i could think was 'so?'...i can sit and stare at fine australian black boulder opals for hours...each is unique and fascinating...ah, opaline...

By Martin on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 04:51 am: Edit

I've always had a fascination with the Obsidian I found. It's the kind of thing where I'd stare at it for hours, I just couldn't fathom that it was something that came naturally from the earth. It was so black, so shiney, so smooth, so sharp... so unreal. Even though I haven't seen it in years, I can still vividly picture every surface and edge and flaw of it. It was the most fucking beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Diamonds may be more valuable, but I've seen way more diamonds in my life than obsidian. You see fuckin' diamonds everywhere. Who doesn't have SOMETHING with diamond in it? My Obsidian is the only I've ever seen outside of a museum. That makes it far more valuable to me.

As far as the value of my big Rose Quartz is concerned, I really don't care too much about that, but if someone really wanted it and started throwing money at me for it, I really couldn't say no. It's just kind of amusing to speculate exactly how MUCH money someone would be willing to throw at me for it. I'd get a big kick out of getting a couple thousand dollars for something I dug out of a field. It does have a nice aura.

-Martin

By Melinelly on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 09:20 pm: Edit

oh yeah, when i was around 10 or 12 i wanted to be a geologist too. my mom used to work at Cal Tech, and once she got me a tour of their geology dept. it was frickin awesome =) in the lobby, they had ten huge glass cases (floor to ceiling) filled with shelves and shelves of rocks and crystals. and i got to see where they keep earth core samples and how they analyze fragments and what layers meant as far as what the earth and life was like many thousands of years ago.

i still wish i'd have gone into geology sometimes and followed that dream... but i wouldn't be who i am today and with the people i know and love.

By Melinelly on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 09:16 pm: Edit

i collected rocks for a long time. if there's gold in that there quartz, it's worth a little more than without, but that alone doesn't determine the value.

i was into collecting for looks as well as spiritual significance and that whole ethereal healing mumbo jumbo =) the main thing to determine the value of yer rock is its integrity... no cracks, flaws, etc... but the true value is in its significance to you. rose quartz was one of my stepmom's fav rocks because of the aura she felt off it. i like it too, but i'm more a malachite guy. dark greens are definitely my color.

By Martin on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 01:54 pm: Edit

When I was 8, I wanted to be a Geologist. I was really into rock collecting. My favorite rock was a chunk of black Obsidian I found in the middle of a dirt road deep in the mountains of West Virginia. I felt really lucky for having found that, I wasn't even really looking for rocks at the time, but there it was, right in the middle of the road, a squarish black glass-looking thing. I immediately recognized it from one of my books, I was elated. More recently, I found a huge chunk of Rose Quartz in a field next to my house. It's slightly round, and at least 8 to 10 inches across. It probably weighs about 10 to 15 pounds, maybe more (it's been awhile since I've lifted it). I was always fascinated by all the little traces of gold you can see in it. I remember reading that gold is commonly found in Rose Quartz, and my big chunk of it proves that pretty well. I wonder if it's valuable? There sure is alot of it.

-Martin

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

Shooting sharks with high powered handguns is good sport, not so easy, and they are hard mothers to kill. And you're shooting them at the surface.

Now if you want to shoot fish UNDER water you need to use powerheads, or spear guns, or reinvent the Gyro-Jet rocket pistols and ammo.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 10:11 am: Edit

Explosives are used by many poachers to catch fish. Very effective I believe.

As for bullets only being effective for a few inches in water, then maybe Bob was shooting fish in a bucket. Bob do you not think it might make your life easier if you just bought your fish from the shop like most of us do?

Hobgoblin

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 09:33 am: Edit

I'm surprised Don hasn't jumped at a question about shooting. I've fished with firearms and it ain't easy at all. (Aside to Don: We used an M-1 carbine, a .306 deer rifle, .357 magnum pistol and various .22's.)

Bullets do not travel very far in water. If the fish was more than a few inches deep in that barrel, he'd be pretty safe. I know someone who fished with a hand grenade, though, and said that worked great.

By Tavis on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 01:07 am: Edit

Depends whether you were talking out of your ass........ ;-)

By Perruche_Verte on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 09:20 pm: Edit

If my head were cut off and I were still alive somehow, would I say "me and my head" or "me and my body"?

By Anatomist1 on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Damn, I guess I need to get out my Bio 101 book. I never understood that phrase about shooting fish in barrel anyway. I gather it is supposed to be easy, but since when do people fish with firearms? If the barrel was full of water and it contained only one small fish, well, that'd be harder than hell. If the barrel is full of fish and no water, why shoot them in the first place? If you wanted to eat one, you could just pick it up.

There must be something strange about barrels, because very few things are supposed to be more fun than filling one up with monkeys... what the fuck? I think most monkeys would be rather distressed about being packed into a tight space with their kin... I suspect the muffled shrieking as they bit and clawed one another to death would be pretty disturbing. Fun indeed.

K.

By _Blackjack on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

The chimaera is also called a rabbit-fish.

(So sue me. I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was 8...)

By Martin on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 02:40 pm: Edit

God, what a mess. What have I done.....?

-Martin

By Artemis on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Except for the rat fish. But it looks like it's about 50% rabbit to me.

By Artemis on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Gone and happily forgotten.

By Melinelly on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 01:13 pm: Edit

like down with the man and all, ya know?

By Admin on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Just exercising my new found powers. I closed previous thread cuz it was HUUUUGE.Please continue ripping eachother to shreds.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation