Magazine Articles and Dodgy (Albeit Humorous) Information

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Magazine Articles and Dodgy (Albeit Humorous) Information
By Martin on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 12:49 am: Edit

The trick is to mix it with other stuff. It goes suprisingly well with Darjeeling.

-Martin

By Ekmass on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 12:44 am: Edit

tried that tea bit once with hot water. Hell even cooled I am surprised anyone could get past the first sip. The stuff tastes noxious, perhaps one can die just from the taste alone.
EM

By Germanandy on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 09:45 pm: Edit

brains, brains, ...

By Martin on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 12:29 pm: Edit

I drank tea made from wormwood. And I used HOT WATER!!! My God! I should be dead now!! Arrrgggh, I can feel the poison filling my body with death... ahhhh, I don't have much longer, oh oh oh the absinthe has been released... gahhh, the pain, the pain!!

-Martin

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 12:15 pm: Edit

I just found some more crazy stuff, not directly about absinthe, more about wormwood - but it's hilarious!
I read an article on holisticonline.com about wormwood, which was pretty good information on the medicinal usage, but they have a warning message below the article, which reads as follows:

--------------------------------------------------
"The following is a letter we received from one of our visitors regarding this herb. Most of the monographs we have examined talk about making infusion or tea and using it. We stand behind our recommendation of not using this herb as it is very dangerous. We are not sure using cool water is going to make it safer.
Webmaster, holisticonline.com"
--
"I need to tell you that the DOSAGE on the wormwood is a DANGEROUS recipe, Even the Herb companies say make a Hot cup of tea, HOT or BOILING water releases the ABSINTHE, which will kill. Use wormwood only with cool, cold, or room temp liquids and NOT with the hot water, No wonder the world has it nearly banned.

I used wormwood for Lupus and it has been extremely effective, until I got careless and had to quit for 14 months, as the absinthe stays in the system for a long period of time. DO NOT even make the tea, and let cool and consume - DEADLY results can occur.

ORALLY: In capsule form I took two capsules of the 00 size, with water or juice, one hour later ate something, OR one hour after a meal is safe.
TOPICALLY: in an Alcohol solution over ring worm and a pad, changed every few hours will kill the parasite.

In the GARDEN keep it in a pot, alone it will grow really well, because it will kill off the worms in the soil.

Have you read the death of Socrates??? Wormwood tea. extremely bitter,

Teresa Smith N.D."
-------------------------------------------------

Nothing more to say about that than buuuuaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ROTFL
My favorite is the "it releases the ABSINTHE"-part ;-)

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 10:00 am: Edit

They all say the same crap, but Van Gogh shooting Rimbaud, that's some new information! Perhaps Rimbaud was standing behind him when Van Gogh shot himself in the stomach. What a shame, they were such good friends.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 09:34 am: Edit

there was a similar article in the one of the supermarket pulp fiction mags a while back too...also one a friend of mine sent me that was published by the AP in Gulfport....

they all say the same crap...it is a shame..

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 09:20 am: Edit

I was reading some magazine articles which were published sometime within the past couple of years. One was from the UK magazine "Class", and the other two were from Czech magazines.

The article from "Class" basically passed off a mixture of good and bad information. Had the author so much as read the most obvious book on the subject (Conrad's book), or even interviewed someone with a little knowledge, he could have prevented some of the blunders. Some of the more obvious mishaps are:

"Oil of wormwood, together with herbs and spices...are macerated in neutral ethanol alcohol. Hence, absinthe, like gin, is basically flavored vodka."

"..Pastis, a spirit flavoured with star anise instead of wormwood..."

"So when absinthe was outlawed there (U.S.) in 1903...."

The article goes on to show how to 'properly' serve absinthe, and gives a description for lighting the sugar cube on fire, etc.

As for the Czech magazines' articles, I must say that the translation to English may not be perfect, but prepare to laugh nonetheless:

"...Van Gogh cut his ear and shot his friend Rimbaud after its consumption."

"According to Ilona Musilova, Radomil Hill's daughter, absinth used to be soaked in the spirit, but today it is soaked in warm water so there are no side effects".

"Former artists and painters described absinth as yellow-green, whereas today's absinthe color is light turquoise. Wall Street Journal even says, "unfortunately, the hygenic quality is the reason of changing the colour from the traditional yellow-green to blue-green. But history says something else - Otta's Dictionary from 1888 describes absinth as a blue-green liqueur and Ernest Hemingway says the same in his Garden of Paradise".

"The director of the French Museum of absinth is convinced that neither the colour nor the flavour of today's absinth are the same as with the original one. But the point is that Mrs. Director has neither seen nor tasted it."

From one importer of Hill's - "When I drink absinth (Hill's), I feel a certain connection with the artists who drank it 100 years ago."

From one UK newspaper reported on Hill's - "I had such a bad hangover that even my hair hurt."

Anyway, you get the picture, and there is a good bit that can be read between the lines.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation