Chrysippvs Review of Tunel and an aged bottle of Pernod Fils Pastis

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Chrysippvs Review of Tunel and an aged bottle of Pernod Fils Pastis
By Petermarc on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 07:03 am: Edit

that is what the chairs are for (can't have the antique spanish dining table without chairs, can we?) to be delivered on sat. morning (hopefully) but you're on for the afternoon...

By Ekmass on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 05:05 am: Edit

Petermarc
oh yeah, I know all about the wife and antiques routine. Was at the marche au pouce, looks like we are making a small investment on one of those big old wood farm tables. If you want I can show you the store sat, then we can get a drink.
EM

By Petermarc on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 05:08 am: Edit

bummer...i'm pretty sure it's pastis, but amusing none-the-less...didn't find the glass shop you talked about unless it is on rue st.paul...did find a cool post card of a café were everybody was having absinthe...ended up blowing my absinthe-wad on antique chairs, i knew i shouldn't have brought my wife!

By Ekmass on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 04:05 am: Edit

the bottle I got was empty. I got it at some junk store around the corner from where I am staying
EM

By Petermarc on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 03:33 am: Edit

maybe it's from the same person, was yours half full with a new cork?..if so, i tasted it, but we couldn't conclude what it was, and these people know what absinthe tastes like...i'm not sure and i'm not ready to open mine (it's full with a crumbly cork)i thought someone might be able to say if they used this bottle type in spain or not...

By Ekmass on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 01:58 am: Edit

Petermarc, I just bought a bottle that looks just like that. What is it? Pernod or Absinthe?
EM

By Petermarc on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 04:32 am: Edit

does the bottle look like this, i'm trying to figure out if this is pastis or spanish...pernod

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Nope...it was from e-bay America...only cost like 6 bucks..

By Germanandy on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 04:39 pm: Edit

was this the pernod bottle from german ebay?

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Tunel:
After a nice trade between Betina and myself I picked up a bottle of Tunel and a bottle of La Fee (not here yet). Packed well and shipped promptly.
Review...
See my review of Neto Costa. I can detect almost no difference excepting the high alcohol content allows this one to go down a bit easier. Fake coloring, no louche, tastes like absinthium and nothing else except maybe RAVE hairspray. Looks like another shelf rider....

Aged Pernod Fils c. 1950

In an attempt to get some understanding of how pastis ages and also perhaps see where along the lines Pernod changed it's recipe I picked up a bottle of Pernod from the 50's. Well I am honestly not suprised. The flavor is that of a more subtle modern Pernod Fils. The flavors are a lot less pointed, and the louche is less strong. The star anise/licorice root flavor is not quite so sickingly apparent. After 50 years it is tolerable!

Didn't learn much. It seems that Pastis (by strict definition)and pastis-like Absinthe don't age very well. However good absinthe, and I imagine Pontarlier Anis and Oxygenee will age well.

Ranting

- J

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation