#3 et al., Goodies from Artemis

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: #3 et al., Goodies from Artemis
By Artemis on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 07:42 am: Edit

No problem; as I said, no harm done. It doesn't put me on the spot in any way. I agree it's good to talk about absinthe up in here now and then.

Quite a few other people have tasted those products and their responses didn't vary much from Chong's.

The Hi Test's chief virtue is it kicks your ass. Right now, not eventually. Not much else can be said for it, as the mistake which created that Frankenstein monster was egregious. The same things could be said about Hill's, I guess.

"Aion guessed vanilla. If that's it ..."

It's not. I stand corrected. I was indeed referring to Aion when I said someone had guessed it, but I thought Aion had guessed something else. It's not vanilla. I've always thought Kallisti would be able to name it, but as far as I know she never tasted her sample.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Shoot--sorry, Artemis about commenting publicly. I only meant to give credit where credit is due (to you--thanks!) and spark some conversation.

I remember the old thread: it mentioned cinnamon and cardamom, neither of which I could detect. Aion guessed vanilla. If that's it, it blends so well with the other flavors that I'd have a hard time singling it out.

And I'll give the Hi Test another test this weekend.

Again, I apologize if my disclosure put you on the spot.

BC

By Artemis on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 07:21 pm: Edit

“P.S. Artemis or anyone else whose had this stuff: what is the secret spice? (If this has already been answered elsewhere, I apologize).”

Actually, I never intended that shipment to Chong (with help from Head) for public comment, but no harm done. To any who wonder, I had collected a number of products for Peter to sample on his visit to chez Artemis. After that visit, I disbursed the leftovers to some forum members, including Chong. Some other forum members had tasted the same product prior to Peter’s visit. NOBODY who has tasted the product in question has ever identified the spice, although one person who did not taste it did so, based upon Peter’s very obvious hints in his writeup of it. Peter didn’t I.D. it either. I think I have told a couple of people privately what it was, so it’s not fair if they speak up now.

“I used a half a sugar tab (which I presume comes by way of Petermarc's Sugar Emporium”

Yes. $100 a box. He’s a damnable con man. He throws lightning bolts that go over the heads of the easily pissed off.

“I would like to add that I do actually like the Hi Test, in a scientific inquiry sort of way.”

Peter refused to taste it. He later chided me that “refused” wasn’t the right word. He said he was concerned about driving back to Chicago with that in his system. But I watched him hold the glass to his nose, I smelled the nose hairs burning, saw his eyes roll back in his head ....

I drank it though, cause I know it won’t hurt me.

“it has "effects" like a hammer... I'll have to get back to you on that. I mean, I am drinking anise flavored jet fuel right now, so if by "effects" you mean alcohol...bingo!”

It has profound “special” effects, but the immediate effect of the alcohol is so severe, you just might not notice them. It’s actually a relatively complex recipe, but a mistake was made late in the process that led to an infusion of pure 95% ethanol. Thus you have to use some imagination to taste it as absinthe. Still, the maker could not bear to throw it away, so ...... I also would prefer to drink it over Montana, etc.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 02:57 pm: Edit

I would like to add that I do actually like the Hi Test, in a scientific inquiry sort of way. In fact, I'd sooner drink it than Deva, LaSala, or Montana, that's for damn sure (three brands which I will never buy again).

More on the other goodies when I get around to them. It probably will be this weekend sometime.

Thanks again to Art and Head.

BC

By Petermarc on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 02:56 pm: Edit

stat! dr. chong! stat!

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Ok, so I was just gonna stop at one but decided to move on to the Hi Test...

What happens when...you [go] WAY over 140 proof...a high-class Hills...reeks of alcohol, and it will not louche no matter what you do. But with the right mix of water, it tastes okay..."

No, it does not louche. As for it's aroma, before water is added, it reminds me of "Rush" from my teen days (which was probably amyl nitrate or some other brain-cell killing liquid--who bothered looking at the label?). Once water is added, it smells like anise and wormwood and little else. The taste, too, is very flat, especially in comparison with the #3. Even though I couldn't explain the complexity of the #3 beyond stating that it was very herbal and complex, the Hi Test tastes simply of anise and wormwood. If there are other herbal ingredients, I can't tell.

it has "effects" like a hammer...

I'll have to get back to you on that. I mean, I am drinking anise flavored jet fuel right now, so if by "effects" you mean alcohol...bingo!

BC

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 02:40 pm: Edit

"A fairly complex absinthe verte, with a special ingredient I've never tasted in any other product..."

A few weeks back, I received a very generous gift package from Artemis and Head, but I really haven't had a chance to try any of them. Artemis sent me the #3 mentioned above and the infamous Hi Test, which I am intrigued by. Head included some LaFee, NS, and Serpis (none of which, believe it or not, I have ever tried). He also included some Pernod pastis.

I have sipped all of them neat, and I was most interested in the two artisinal products. The #3, LaFee, and NS (neat) all have a woody, wormwood flavor right up front. The pastis coats my mouth and the flavor lingers like an unwanted guest who was invited only out of politeness to begin with.

The #3 has a subtle louche. I used a half a sugar tab (which I presume comes by way of Petermarc's Sugar Emporium--thanks!) as recommended by Artemis. My first impression is that it is delicious. It has been many weeks since I've had an alcoholic beverage, and I am immediately warmed up by the #3.

I have no idea what the special ingredient is, but I do know that the #3 is very dry and very herbal. When water was added, the wormwood flavor faded into the background as a lot of other different flavors stepped up, and the sugar is not noticeable as a sweetness but as a flavor enhancer. It tastes like anise, mint, and I am not sure what else, but I am now sure that I am spoiled by this tasty Hausgemachtung (Machwerk? Selbstgemacht?).

I wish I had a more discerning palette and could tell you more about the #3, but I will close by thanking everyone who made this possible. It was worth the wait.

BC

P.S. Artemis or anyone else whose had this stuff: what is the secret spice? (If this has already been answered elsewhere, I apologize).

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation