La Fee

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: La Fee
By Absinthespoon on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 09:04 am: Edit

"Poor Billy ought to be hanging out with "Lawrence" Fishburne. Ah, he will always be Larry to me! "

He'll always be Cowboy Curtis to me!

By Chevalier on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Johnny Cougar.
John Cougar Mellencamp.
John Mellencamp.

William Robert Thornton.
Bill Robert Thornton.
Billy Bob Thornton.

Prince Rogers Nelson.
Prince.
(Sorry, don't know how to type it.)

By Riku964 on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 11:32 am: Edit

Poor Billy ought to be hanging out with "Lawrence" Fishburne. Ah, he will always be Larry to me!

By Chevalier on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 10:16 am: Edit

The adult Bill Mumy HATES to be called "Billy". I once heard him storm off of a radio talk show because the hosts kept addressing him as Billy. I don't know why he didn't just send them to ... THE CORNFIELD.

By Etienne on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Michigooses?

By Riku964 on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 11:57 am: Edit

Actually, we all have love for Billy Mumy, even if he did write that godawful "fishheads" song when he was part of Barnes & Barnes. Head, on the other hand, was the inspiration for the mass exodus out of Michigan. I left Ypsilanti and fled to Ann Arbor, but still the shadow of the Head fell over us all! Alas, fleeing Michigan is the only way to escape!

Is the plural of Michigander...Michigeese?

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 03:51 pm: Edit

That's right Bob. There's no love left in Michigan for Head. I'm like Billy Mumy or something ...

"You're a bad man, you're a very bad man!..."

By Etienne on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Not ALL of us left ya know!

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Another Michgander! Yikes. Head, you must have muscled them all out, to have the whole damn place to yourself. (And all those ponds y'all call "lakes." LOL.)

By Riku964 on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Ack! All this talk of Meijer's Shifty Acres makes me long for the quiet Midwestern paradise I left behind. Oh, those late night trips to Meijer's for ammunition and Vodka and whipped cream, those tasty cookies from the bulk foods section, the helpful staff.

Wait, I just remembered that I despised Michigan. Ah well, if only they had a Meijer's here in Manhattan. K-Mart just doesn't cut it!

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

Listen to the HAMMER
and you will be rewarded
You know the Louche is kickin'
So let's get this party started
LET'S GET IT STARTED

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 07:31 am: Edit

"To be used for the déssert on ice cream vanilla, with pancakes stuffed with ice to nuts or into digestive."

Gotta love that Babel Fish. So I'm looking for Dumont, Fine Sève(Fine Sap) and Sortilège(Magic Spell) Thanks Wolfenstein.

Martin, the Wrench is no threat when you are aligned with the Hammer.

And time? The stinging stain of time. I scrub and I scrub and my hands just won't come clean. I feel like Lady MacHead.

By Wolfgang on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 06:51 am: Edit

Head : Go to www.saq.com and type "erable" in the search box. You will find some maple product. Unfortunately, they only deliver in Quebec.

Na na na! we keep all our maple just for us , Na na na! ;-)

But at least that will give you some brand name to look for elsewhere on the web...

By Martin on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 03:50 am: Edit

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!
Don't ever change Head, you've got way too much time on your hands.

Oh, and remember, Don't EVER mock the Wrench.

Some strange drama has unfolded recently regarding the Wrench.... but of course I can't tell you what specifically. All you need to know is that it's really really bad. We're all very upset.

Become Enlightened by WRENCH!
WRENCH is Love!

-Martin

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Wolf-G NO! Thank you but no. Tempers may flare, feelings get hurt, your recognition is plenty for old HP. Just keep me in your heart.

By the way, did you ever find me some Maple Liquor?

By Wolfgang on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 07:52 am: Edit

Head, you are the mascot of this forum ;-) LOL

I should draw you an "official mascot certificate"

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Martin,

Good luck buddy...

Certificate of Membership

Don't forget the secret handshake!

By Martin on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Head,

I've been around I suppose, but I haven't even really been lurking here much. There's just not much I can think to write about absinthe and I've not been in the mood to fight about the usual inane things lately.

But, here we go... my friends and I are starting a club, a Fraternal Order if you will, and having an absinthe speakeasy will be one of our many "activities".

I got the idea at my class reunion. It was held at an Elk's Lodge, and being interested in clubs and societies and whatnot, I asked the bartender, "What are you guys all about anyway?" His response, "Basically its an excuse for us to have our own bar and only let in the people we want." I thought, "Shit, this is what I need to do!" So my friends and I are starting our own "Club" of sorts. Just a group of like-minded people hanging out..... we're even starting an official corporation and looking for a building to do it in.

Ahhhh.... its all starting to come together. Someday we'll be part of the Illuminati, or maybe the Priory of Sion. I think all those crazy secret societies are connected together for a reason. This is our experiment to see if we might someday be connected as well. Watch out world!

Martin
Br. Nemo F.M.F.O.307
ACHIEVE WRENCH

By Melinelly on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 01:26 pm: Edit

and if you like you can click on the link to my diary on her pages.

btw, that was a lovely story B =) similar to some acidic bay arean memories i've got locked away... funny, now that i think of it, i dreamt i got a contact fry off your story last night heh... nifty

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 09:17 am: Edit

Wow. I compliment from Marc! I'm all 'atitter!! Seriously though, coming from a master wordslinger like Marc, that is valuable praise indeed (and I didn't even include any 'naughty bits' in my prose!)

Marc, you might enjoy perusing my online diary (see link in my profile) for more. No earthshatteringly-profound insights to be sure, but it'll likely add a giggle to your day.

-Morrigan

(P.S. Uncle, the 'Nuge I can understand (*Cat Scratch Fever air-guitar pose*), but why are ringworms distinctive to Michigan??!?)

By Marc on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

morriganlefay your "acid" memory is wonderfully written. Please post more prose. You're a grade A
wordslinger.

By Uncle on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 08:46 pm: Edit

So you did a little trippin in the hillbilly Hudsons? I knew that anyone under 30 in the store was in a altered state at 3:00 in the morning? A commerade of mine always had new shoes when he left the store on our nightime raids.they had the best snacks and toys for those that shopped in the small hours.Meijer is as much a part of michigan as THe Nuge and ringworms!!!!! Cheers Uncle G

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:56 pm: Edit

That's so beautiful. That story took me to a wonderful place and for free, no less.
Why did you ever leave this Utopian cradle of mid-western charm?

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Ahh… Meijer Thrifty Acres… just the name rolling off the tongue brings back such memories. A one-stop-shopper’s paradise. During my sheltered Michiganian youth, Meijer’s was our Fluff, Puff & Foodstuffs Acid Playground. I spent many a wee-hour-of the-morn during college transfixed by it’s seemingly-benevolent neon glow. We’d inevitably end up there at like three in the morning at the prime of our illicit substance ingestion, faced with a random but compulsively essential mission to complete.

On of our favorites was the Meijer’s Alphabet Road Rally. We’d gather a large group of pie-eyed idiots (myself included, natch), divide into teams, and give each team a $20. The first team to purchase one item starting with every letter of the alphabet, all for under $20 total(excluding tax), and get it all back to base “won”. (I don’t recall there ever being “prizes” for the winners – the ‘trophy’ was in the doing, I guess…that, and all the useless crap you’d just bought).

Now, standing in front of the endless aisles of plastic goodies, eerily vacant at 3 a.m., giggling and dosed out of your gourd, this challenge was simply insurmountable…and therefore completely IRRESISTABLE. We’d race like hooting loons through the aisles, writhing on the floor with glee at finding a “Q” item for under $2, until we were either triumphant or thrown out by security. In our condition(s), I don’t think anybody ever got EVERY letter or completed the challenge within the set parameters, but one team thought themselves soooo clever and declared themselves the victors for having bought one of those bright plastic A-Z magnetic kiddy alphabet sets for $8. Cheaters. So although no one ever actually FINISHED the challenge, we did have an absolutely inane time driving home with cryptic kiddy-magnet fridge poetry stuck all over the sides of the VW Bus.

Thank you for indulging me this idiotic memory….

- Morrigan

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 07:28 pm: Edit

D'OH!!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Uh? Oops.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 07:27 pm: Edit

D'oh? That's dumb!

It makes it so "French". GOD FORBID! Anything be French.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Mitten Facts.

Michiganiacs hailing from the Downriver Area refer to the mentally challenged as "Retarts". Ironic isn't it?

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Martin where the fuck have you been? HAHA!
Marty Mar!!! Right here in my living room?

MICHIGAN Pal-o!

I'll tell you why the mentally challenged are perfect to work there. Because most people can't. It takes a gentle natured, selfless individual to stow away the "ego" in order to put up with pushy, fussy, overgrown babies who have a set view of how things should and shouldn't be.

On the autobahn of life, the benign retard is standing on the side of the road under a shadey tree waving at unaware motorists...

There's a place for you in Heaven, Martin. It's called Hell. I'm sure we'll be roommates someday.

By Martin on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Meijer frightens me.
It bothers me how many mentally deficient people they have working there. I don't mean that as an insult, I speak the truth. They have some sort of odd policy that includes hiring the mentally handicapped. Do they do this so I feel bad for bitching about the bag boy who put my damn eggs on the bottom with a bunch of bottles of soda and milk on top of it? I mean seriously, that's fine that they're finding jobs for people that wouldn't normally be able to have jobs... but damn, they could at least attempt to train them to do a good job.

Anyhoo, that place fuckin' creeps me out and I get anxiety attacks when I'm in there during the day and its filled with all these retards and heathens (now, I'm referring to the customers, not the employees).

It makes Wal-Mart seem like a nice down-home place you want to take your kids (all 12 of them and they're so dirty and they won't stop screaming!!).

So whereabouts are you from anyway, Head? There are times I get a sneaking suspicion you too may be from Indiana (though I'm sure Meijer exists in a few other lucky places).

I'm still waiting for the absinthe of my dreams... unfortunately I don't think anyone has attempted to make it yet. That perfect..... you know. I'm sure the Jade stuff is good, but my "perfect" absinthe doesn't necessarily have anything to do with old style or recipes. I'm looking for something completely new and different (yet still absinthe, of course).

-Martin

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 05:04 pm: Edit

There's a million reasons in a singal store

GO SHIFTY ACRES!!!

By Raymond1138 on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

I couldn't help but post that. I'm actually jealous of Head because he's back in my homeland while I'm trying to live it up in the big city. While I was still lurking around this board, He made a reference to Meijer and I nearly wept.

By Verawench on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 09:12 am: Edit

Head may be losing some brain cells to the Slerpis Fairy.

By Raymond1138 on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 09:07 am: Edit

Actually, Head, the proper spelling according to Matt Groening is "D'OH".

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Well I won't be misquoting when I say this
"DOH"

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Head:

"Where fore" means why, not where.

When Juliet says the line, she means, "Why the fuck do you have to be a Montague, whom my family detests?"

Don't worry--99.9% of the world makes the same mistake with the quote.

Pedantically,
BC (former English teacher)

By Tabreaux on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 03:44 pm: Edit

I'm not all that hot on La Fee, but I would take La Fee over Mari Mayans where products available in the UK are concerned. MM tastes like a big black jellybean and is no more naturally colored than is Hill's (despite the bogus claims).

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I agree Simon...La Fee is lost on me. It is maybe a slight par up on deva but that is it. I can't see how Delahaye could have sanctioned it...

By Simonsuisse on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 02:46 pm: Edit

I must have developed a complex as far as La Fee is concerned. I still think it tastes like Ouzo. Maybe it's because it's sold in Gerry's on Old Compton street. Everything absinthe they sell is shit!! The only real absinthe that is available in the UK booze shops pretty much everywhere is Mari Mayans. This is not my favourite, but it's still the best in the Uk. Especially the 45% and the 70%.

By Artemis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 02:04 pm: Edit

I think La Fee is far and away the best-tasting commercial absinthe, unless you count Oxygenee, which I don't, because I think it's a faux absinthe.

La Fee *is* "herbal" - to me it tastes mostly of mint and anise, which are herbs after all. It could stand to be more complex; I wouldn't dispute that.

It's too green because it's dyed green, more emerald than the peridot which would be more traditional.

The biggest flaw in La Fee is a "cooked" undertone that betrays less than optimal distillation conditions. It tastes muddy, swampy, woody (not in a good sense of woody) going down the throat, which spoils its initial tastiness when it first hits the tongue.

By Tabreaux on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 12:30 pm: Edit

The launch of JL/BEL has taken more time than we estimated only because we have to jump through hoops that we never imagined. Nevertheless, everything is on track, and we will be up and running fairly soon.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Following the Forum frequently facilitates the foaming for fresh made Jade.

By Simonsuisse on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Wouldn't mind tasting how good this JD stuff is myself. Heard so much hype about it it. But where is it? It must be about a year ago, since i got an email from JL.Which i was suprised about as i've never had any contact to my knowledge with Ted or Don. Claiming there would be a great victorian style absinthe soon. They said something like; 'Quality takes time.'But i must say, i'm starting to itch. Maybe it's because i've never really followed the Forum?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 11:57 am: Edit

Jade, Jade, Jade... Where fore art thou?

By Simonsuisse on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 11:53 am: Edit

Heiko,
The Ouzo is Aigaion 60% Special, produced and bottled by B. Kabylafkas S.A in Rhodes. It tastes so similar. Apart from the Ouzo 12 and yeni Raki. Which seem to be the most worldly renowned non pastis type drink other than Sambuca and El Mono(and is shit). There are about 400 brands of Ouzo within the greek Islands. Most of which are similar to La Fee. Apart from Colouring and louching power.
I must stress that i think that La Fee is a far cry from absinthe. Althouggh by the sounds of it, lots of people might dissagree.

By Heiko on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Can you tell me which kind of ouzo you mean that tastes like La Fée?
I'd like to buy it :-)
I've had a glass of Ouzo "12" recently and was disappointed how alcoholic and one dimensional it tasted. Before I had tasted absinthe, I had never realized this...

By Simonsuisse on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 07:08 pm: Edit

La Fee is too green and tastes like Ouzo too me! Absinthe needs to be more herbal and saturated with complex tasty herbs. But maybe that's just what i think?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation